Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

6 half-hour sitcom-focused episodes (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s)
3 hour-long MCU standard fare episodes

No need for speculation in this regard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Based on what though? The trailers haven't shown any decade specific stuff after the 90s(Rosanne). It's possible that the Halloween scenes are the 2000s meta humor but after that it's all relatively under wraps so either they're really protecting video clips of more sitcom tropes or the last 3 episodes are gonna feature all those casting decisions they made and cover more S.W.O.R.D and maybe even Mephisto plot.

In one of the promotional videos they put out right around the show's premiere there's a clip of Wanda talking directly to the camera mockumentary style so they are doing a riff on modern "single camera" sitcoms.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

howe_sam posted:

In one of the promotional videos they put out right around the show's premiere there's a clip of Wanda talking directly to the camera mockumentary style so they are doing a riff on modern "single camera" sitcoms.

Oh, I guess I missed that one. I did try to avoid promo stuff towards the end as to not absorb every tiny detail but then came back hard out of covid boredom.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I want What If Season 2 to have What If Scarlet Witch Fell in Love with Groot?

Quill: Wait, I forgot! Who the hell is pregnant?!

Groot: I am Groot?

Quill: I found a pregnancy test and--

*Wanda enters the room*

Groot: I am Groot!

Wanda: Hey... Can we talk? Maybe in private?

*excited zoom in on Star-Lord's face*

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

the Scarlet Witch ongoing from a few years ago had Wanda addressing this, though it wasn't an answer so much as a "hell if i know"

ah, I wasn't aware that Robinson had attempted to address it, huh

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Klungar posted:

6 half-hour sitcom-focused episodes (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s)
3 hour-long MCU standard fare episodes

No need for speculation in this regard

I don't think anyone has confirmed the episode lengths (though that seems like a decent guess), and there's plenty of room for speculation about whether the next few episodes will adhere to the [insert decade here] sitcom structure as closely as the first three did, especially given that no one outside Marvel/Disney has watched anything past the first three episodes

from this Elizabeth Olsen quote, it sounds like they (thankfully) won't, but we'll see on Friday

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a35297539/wandavision-elizabeth-olsen-episode-4-shift/

quote:

The 31-year-old went on to explain: "When we started filming this show, we had all nine scripts, so I didn't have to not really know what was going on ever. It was very specific.

"I think the reason why they show the press the first episodes is because Episode 4 is quite a shift. It's a really fun perspective swap and I think a lot gets understood at that moment."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting thing is you can go back to the first two episodes and the major 'intrusions' during the body of the episode can easily be read as Wanda being in control. She punishes Mr Hart for pushing them on the reason for them being there only to relent because she's not truly evil and let Vision help him, and when Jimmy's transmission threatens to make her have to confront reality, she makes the radio explode, her shock is just because Dottie broke the glass and hurt herself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Interesting thing is you can go back to the first two episodes and the major 'intrusions' during the body of the episode can easily be read as Wanda being in control. She punishes Mr Hart for pushing them on the reason for them being there only to relent because she's not truly evil and let Vision help him, and when Jimmy's transmission threatens to make her have to confront reality, she makes the radio explode, her shock is just because Dottie broke the glass and hurt herself.

I kinda feel bad for people who actually like Wanda, because in terms of comics I've mostly only read stories where she's the absolute loving worst. Not on purpose, she's great in a random Scarlet Witch/Domino team-up, just between Disassembled and No More Mutants, she does not come off well.

And then the Zombie Island thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FoneBone posted:

the Scarlet Witch ongoing from a few years ago had Wanda addressing this, though it wasn't an answer so much as a "hell if i know"

Broke: The Scarlet Witch lost her children and her husband. She has such a tragic backstory!
Woke: Actually, her kids and her husband came back to life. Her life isn’t that bad!
Bespoke: Actually, if you really think about what happened to her kids and husband it has suddenly become magnitudes worse.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Broke: The Scarlet Witch lost her children and her husband. She has such a tragic backstory!
Woke: Actually, her kids and her husband came back to life. Her life isn’t that bad!
Bespoke: Actually, if you really think about what happened to her kids and husband it has suddenly become magnitudes worse.

more so in hindsight, Allan Heinberg chose a really weird, roundabout way to bring the kids back. I guess maybe he hated the original John Byrne West Coast Avengers story that wrote them out of existence in the 80s so much that he didn't want to tackle it directly, even to undo it, but man is it a mess.

the way Bendis brought Vision back was kinda funny in the exact opposite way. young Vision got killed off in Children's Crusade, and then a few months later, Bendis just casually reveals that Stark has been repairing adult Vision this whole time and now he's back

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

News sites are saying that Taron Egerton has been cast in Netflix's Sandman series however the Deadline article that is the source just kind of throws it out there as part of a different story which makes me wonder if there was some confusion with the audiodrama, where he played John Constantine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd be fine with keeping some of the audio cast really. Michael Sheen as Lucifer, Egerton as Constantine and McAvoy as Morpheus would all be good again

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/ashlynn_barrera/status/1353414596451848192

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1354808708325273601

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
^^^ gwendoline christie as lucifer? 👀

Spoilers for tomorrow's WandaVision, but a couple faces some might recognize...

https://twitter.com/wandavision/status/1354791340702363648?s=19

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
drat the guy they got for Abel is on point

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
hey it's been six years since the Flash goatse'd america

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

OK, Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer is absolutely brilliant casting. Interesting that they changed Lucien's gender, too.

Honestly, I'm surprised they managed to keep casting under wraps for so long given that this has been filming for two months or so now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

honestly, I'm still kind of baffled that WB sold Sandman to Netflix instead of forking the bill to put it on HBO Max. I'm sure their current management wouldn't have done that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

drat the guy they got for Abel is on point
never in a million years would I have fantasy cast Asim Chaudry as Abel but now I can't see how there's any other option.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sanjeev Bhaskar as Cain is also good, he can do smarmy cruelty blindfolded.

And Dance as Burgess is basically cheating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

honestly, I'm still kind of baffled that WB sold Sandman to Netflix instead of forking the bill to put it on HBO Max. I'm sure their current management wouldn't have done that.

I thought Netflix optioned it long before HBO Max was even conceived of?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

June 2019.

But it had a cursed 10 year development hell so maybe WB just wanted to make it someone else's job.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Nope, the deal was struck in June 2019, and the WB streaming service that would eventually become known as HBO Max had been announced the previous October.

Reportedly, WB decided not to order the series itself simply because they deemed it too expensive, whereas they could make a guaranteed profit by selling the show to Netflix. But as I alluded to above, WB has had major management changes since then and the current regime is far more willing to tolerate even large near-term losses to drive HBO Max subscriptions, as all of Hollywood learned to its consternation last month, so I very much doubt they'd have made the same call today.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Sandman is animated right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

Sandman is animated right?

Live action and speaking of Sandman, Audible has announced that they're going to continue their audio drama adaptation ordering two more volumes.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Barry Convex posted:

Nope, the deal was struck in June 2019, and the WB streaming service that would eventually become known as HBO Max had been announced the previous October.

Reportedly, WB decided not to order the series itself simply because they deemed it too expensive, whereas they could make a guaranteed profit by selling the show to Netflix. But as I alluded to above, WB has had major management changes since then and the current regime is far more willing to tolerate even large near-term losses to drive HBO Max subscriptions, as all of Hollywood learned to its consternation last month, so I very much doubt they'd have made the same call today.

idk, WB already has a trove of IP that's (arguably) less risky

(I know the comics are consistently popular but I still don't think there's tremendous mainstream name recognition, maybe i'm wrong)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FoneBone posted:

idk, WB already has a trove of IP that's (arguably) less risky

American Gods and Good Omens had both been released to huge acclaim by that point and I think Sandman always had more mainstream awareness than either of those (maybe not Good Omens in the UK since Pratchett is such a national treasure over there, but I don't really know).

Of course Sandman has been in various stages of development hell, canceled, then restarted as a completely different project since the 90's that WB might have just been thinking "we really don't want to be the ones footing the bill on another two decades of different development costs, let's take this money."

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lomzus posted:

• Gwendoline Christie — Lucifer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0edD_Gsw8

Rhyno posted:

ring and all :eyepop:

maybe he was just trying to light their darkest hour

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
‘Titans’ Season 3 Casts Jay Lycurgo as Tim Drake

Of note is that he has a seemingly small role in Reeves' Batman film as one of the gang members we saw in the trailer. It's most likely just a different character. OR IS IT? Yeah probably. OR NOT

Also of note he is def not a white guy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Wandavision cold open was fantastic and really should have not gone into the bombastic Marvel logo. Rest of the episode was good but felt like it just confirmed some of the most plausible theories

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Now I just hope that they handle the fact that she's a character who's trauma is making her do cUhrAzY things better than comics did. 15 years later they still have Dr. Strange talking down to her like she's a hysterical moron, and I'd really like a version of this character that can move the gently caress on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Saw a theory on reddit that the missing person is Agnes' husband and I quite like it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

That must've been on purpose.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Now I just hope that they handle the fact that she's a character who's trauma is making her do cUhrAzY things better than comics did. 15 years later they still have Dr. Strange talking down to her like she's a hysterical moron, and I'd really like a version of this character that can move the gently caress on.

I'm going to spoil tag just because I guess speculation based on 10+ year old comics but it kind of sucks when a B character does HORRIBLE ACT, they are defined by it. But when an A-lister like Cap, Iron Man, Spidey does something horrible, it is usually forgotten about within a couple years. I mean Spider-Man hit his wife at one point, but people barely mention it nowadays. Hank Pym does it once and we're still reading comics decades later about it

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Saw a theory on reddit that the missing person is Agnes' husband and I quite like it.

Yeah they clearly and specifically identified most of the people in the town except Agnes. So Wanda may be creating the reality but still lots of room for mystery as to whether she's being manipulated/nudged/influenced for whatever reason. Man seeing dead Vision was a punch in the gut.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jagermonster posted:

Yeah they clearly and specifically identified most of the people in the town except Agnes. So Wanda may be creating the reality but still lots of room for mystery as to whether she's being manipulated/nudged/influenced for whatever reason. Man seeing dead Vision was a punch in the gut.

Yeah no kidding. Going back to Infinity War, I always thought Vision's death scene was brutal as hell since he's a robot and they could do whatever without any blood or gore. The bit where his legs go limp stuck with me.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did Dead Vision give anyone else flashes of White Vision?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Did Dead Vision give anyone else flashes of White Vision?

No and let us never speak of that horseshit story arc again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

No and let us never speak of that horseshit story arc again.

Counterpoint - It led to the single best video game comic adaptation OF ALL TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtO_iDQCHFU