Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Sab669 posted:

Right click --> Copy Image Location

Then post the URL in a [timg] tag (with the closing [/timg] too)

Need to add .png to the end, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

AndyElusive posted:

That's a really ingenious idea. It just so happens that I do in fact have a fresh pack of blue stuff handy that I was saving to mold green stuff copies of the Deathwatch icons that come in the upgrade kit for these bikes.

So I'll give this a try and let you know how things go!

You can also just wrap a tire in saran wrap and use that to make the tire marks. I do this with scale model dios.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spiv posted:

Need to add .png to the end, no?

Copy Image Location should copy the full URL (including the file extension)

If I copy image location from Serpus' link I get:

"https://i.imgur.com/aE99eiR.jpeg"

Without the quotes. So that's what you put in the [timg] THATTEXTGOESHERE [/timg]

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 28, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

SERPUS posted:

Dang how do I maked thumbnail

Copy this format. From imgur, right click the image and click "copy image address", then paste it into the text box. Sometimes you'll get something like "blob:some url" when you paste, but just copy the image address again if that happens

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

dmnz posted:

Two more KDM Prologue survivors finished.

I am in absolute loving awe at your painted lighting, that is so effective.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Sab669 posted:

Copy Image Location should copy the full URL (including the file extension)

If I copy image location from Serpus' link I get:

"https://i.imgur.com/aE99eiR.jpeg"

Without the quotes. So that's what you put in the [timg] THATTEXTGOESHERE [/timg]

Yeah, I just know that more often then not it doesn't work for me so I add the extension and it works :shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Cross-posting from the BattleTech thread:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished up a few Hero 'Mechs.

First, because it was easy (and boring), Grayson "Death" Carlyle's Marauder:

Second, because it was more fun, Aidan Pryde's Timberwolf (in proper Gamma Galaxy colors):

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Sick job on those battletech minis!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I absolutely love that blade, is there a tutorial?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished the bladeguard vets!

The Demilich posted:

I absolutely love that blade, is there a tutorial?

I followed this tutorial!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Another cross-post because I finished up two more 'Mechs than I was expecting to have time for today:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished the other two hero 'Mechs.

Morgan Kell's (boring) Archer:

and Natasha Kerensky's Widowmaker:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

You can also just wrap a tire in saran wrap and use that to make the tire marks. I do this with scale model dios.

My concern would be that I wouldn't be able to wrap the tire well enough on an Outrider to get an imprint on the textured base but that's something to consider trying for sure.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

If there's any Canada goons floating around looking for 3d prints to paint I just set up a store selling them.

Trying to get some painted prints, review etc. and am more concerned with those than making any money for now. Shoot me a pm on here or etsy if you want stuff in a funky scale or there's some model from epic miniatures you want that I haven't made a listing for yet.

I'm super cheap, and also made a goon discount code for another 20% off (Goon20)

Goose Minis

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 29, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Here's all of the special characters + bladeguard I've painted so far. This just means I gotta finish the eradicators and I'm done with the Space Marine half of the Indomitus set!

Also most of my painted collection. There are some large models on the shelf above and all of my bikes on the shelf below, I gotta consolidate and reorganize!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

If there's any Canada goons floating around looking for 3d prints to paint I just set up a store selling them.

Trying to get some painted prints, review etc. and am more concerned with those than making any money for now. Shoot me a pm on here or etsy if you want stuff in a funky scale or there's some model from epic miniatures you want that I haven't made a listing for yet.

I'm super cheap, and also made a goon discount code for another 20% off (Goon20)

Goose Minis

Hey thanks, gonna share this link with some of my DnD-playing friends. Just an FYI you've currently got the Goblin photo on the Skeleton Cavalry listing

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

w00tmonger posted:

Goose Minis

Only shipping to Canada? I NEED the goofy smiling beholder.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
What kind of tool(s) would you recommend for cutting stiff PET bottles and the like for terrain crafting purposes?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Bucnasti posted:

Right? Awkward class picture Beholder is amazing energy

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What kind of tool(s) would you recommend for cutting stiff PET bottles and the like for terrain crafting purposes?

Sharp stanley knife (or snap-off blade type knife), cutting mat, being careful, possibly kitchen scissors, and also being careful.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Hey thanks, gonna share this link with some of my DnD-playing friends. Just an FYI you've currently got the Goblin photo on the Skeleton Cavalry listing

Thanks for passing it around. Uploaded that while I was pretty tired last night. I'll fix it now!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

I mean I'll ship anywhere, but figured I'd mention that I'm canadian>

Gonna post here eventually when I upload a bunch more, but I'm looking at getting the license to sell Archvillain minis too. those things are insanely cool

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 29, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Those beholders are amazing and I've been looking for something fun to do with my $GME money

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Thanks to whoever just ordered some beholders!

I'm still a little new to all this Etsy stuff so expect a bit of a delay if one of you poo poo heads orders a ton of beholders at once from me.

Anyone have a recommendation on getting some swag modelled? Given that I'm "Goose Minis" I was thinking I really wont some scale model Geese to throw in with every order, and some thematic base with my logo on the bottom

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Trying out a scheme for Gloomspite Gitz, just in case I ever get off my rear end and try to paint an army. Not sure about the pink lip. It adds some color to the face but it also looks a bit like he got into some lipstick (which has it's own charm, I guess)

Can't figure out what to do for the base though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Winklebottom posted:

Trying out a scheme for Gloomspite Gitz, just in case I ever get off my rear end and try to paint an army. Not sure about the pink lip. It adds some color to the face but it also looks a bit like he got into some lipstick (which has it's own charm, I guess)

I think some normal green grass would be nice, I like the idea of these guys gathering in meadows at night and causing trouble

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Goblin green rims and green flock please

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Winklebottom posted:

Could always do an underground cave style of base like the ones on the Zarbag's Gitz warband. Greenstuffing some little stalactites and mushrooms should be pretty easy.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Sharp stanley knife (or snap-off blade type knife), cutting mat, being careful, possibly kitchen scissors, and also being careful.

Yeah, yeah, safety and all. Got it. Now to lightly hold this round bottle against a table while I hack at it with a deadly blade.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

thanks for the suggestions everyone

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, yeah, safety and all. Got it. Now to lightly hold this round bottle against a table while I hack at it with a deadly blade.

If they're stiff enough something like a hacksaw could work, then just clean the edges up with sandpaper.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Slice one area until you make a small incision, then once the blade is in it should be fine, or score the entire cut you want to make repeatedly if you prefer. Failing that, a razor saw could work if you happen to have one handy, but thats going to be harder to keep the cut straight I think, at least with the razor saw I have which has a thicker stiff spine which would make cutting straight through a bottle annoying, so youd need to cut round, at which point you'd wish you were using a sharp stanley knife.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using an old cutting board as a cutting surface for a while now, but just for delicate work on miniatures and gunpla parts. This seems like it will require enough force that I want to make sure that I'm using a surface that can't slip, so it's as good a time as any to finally invest in a cutting board mat. I'll see if I still have any fresh blades for my utility knife.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 30, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Another tiny giant robot crosspost.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished a couple of Jade Falcons, in Vau Galaxy colors (yes, the Falcons have seen colors other than green)! Sadly, the rest of the star is waiting for Wave 2 shipping.

Hellbringer:

Summoner:

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Hey, I'm really new to building miniatures, and I'm trying to join a resin hat to a filed-down plastic head. The only problem is that I need to be able to do some repositioning once they're joined to prevent the assembly from looking like a complete hackjob. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to best accomplish this? I see that Loctite has "Extra Time Control Super Glue Gel" that sounds like it might be my best bet, but it still says "instant bonding" in the description, which sheds some doubt on it. Would a two-part epoxy or something be my best bet? Thanks, and apologies if this is a dumb question.

Edit: All of this is for a 28mm human-sized miniature, in case size matters.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Easy Rider posted:

Hey, I'm really new to building miniatures, and I'm trying to join a resin hat to a filed-down plastic head. The only problem is that I need to be able to do some repositioning once they're joined to prevent the assembly from looking like a complete hackjob. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to best accomplish this? I see that Loctite has "Extra Time Control Super Glue Gel" that sounds like it might be my best bet, but it still says "instant bonding" in the description, which sheds some doubt on it. Would a two-part epoxy or something be my best bet? Thanks, and apologies if this is a dumb question.

How long do you expect to need? I find regular super glue gives at least 5-10 seconds before it really starts to set up.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

tangy yet delightful posted:

How long do you expect to need? I find regular super glue gives at least 5-10 seconds before it really starts to set up.

At minimum, I'd like to be able to have 10-15 seconds, though the longer the better as the piece rests comfortably in place when it's in position so there's no concern about having to hold it there manually. I tried both normal Loctite and Gorilla Glue's gel formula, and both rendered it basically impossible to budge pretty much instantly after the parts made full contact.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
So, I've been away from the hobby for almost 20 years I think. I've sort of kept up from time to time with new models and stuff, much of it through this thread. But until this thursday I hadn't actually bought and painted anything since the early 2000's.

I bought the Stormcast Eternals paint set, since that seemed like the best way to get some paint on some miniatures, to get the ball rolling. I also don't care at all to actually play the game(s), so from that perspective it also didn't matter.

I only had whatever came with the paint set, so unfortunately no bright colours (except for the gold, I guess), no primer, and no way of filling gaps. Not a big deal since these were always just meant to be for dipping my toes back into the world of hams.
Turned out to be a lot of fun trying different stuff and actually just putting paint on a mini again. Also They were smaller than I expected, maybe because the last time I actually held a mini I was a kid and my hands were also small? What a world.

Didn't actually want to paint the no helmet variant, but a mishap with a sprue (a bit different than they were 20 years ago) took that decision out of my hands.

Probably the single detail I am most happy with is the highlight of the calf/boot bump on the robe thing here.

I don't have any other minis lined up, but I am looking at getting some more general supplies - primer, glue and whatnot and then whatever stuff I need to make the prep work before painting easier. Basically going off the goonhammer "getting started post".

I've been thinking of picking up some sort of Primaris marine, but any tips about minis that you had are fun to paint or maybe easy to assemble for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For number and variety of models for the price you can't beat the Indomitus box. If you can find it still (like at a local store) it's $200 USD for:

10 marines with chainswords
3 bigger marines with sword and shield
3 bigger marines with big guns
3 marines on bikes
5 marine characters

20 robots in varying states of decay with guns
6 swarms of cute bugs
3 robots that replaced their arms with swords and legs with spider legs + 1 tag along trash can
2 buckets with legs
1 war of the worlds walker
4 Necron characters

I thiiiiink that's the exact number but for either playing or painting it's a pretty insane value

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Grabbing any of the 40k starters should be good, the units from them/indomitus are all 'easy to build'. The primaris assault intercessors are great models with awesome poses that are simple to put together and don't have a million fiddly bits to glue on or thousands of details when painting. You could also find them on eBay or swap groups commonly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Easy Rider posted:

You could glue some uncured green stuff/milliput/whatever to the top of the head and glue the hat to that. That's what I've done in similar situations, although making it work for a tiny part like a hat without looking stupid might be tricky.