Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1354211371492249600

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qjn-gAEGhc

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Gadget is so loving weird, I loved that game when I was a kid. I would check it out from my local library lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1354589574442450951

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

drat

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Keep that in mind in your future posts.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ruffini posted:

Keep that in mind in your future posts.

oh yea for sure, Absurd Garbage.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dongicus posted:

oh yea for sure, Absurd Garbage.

Don't sign your posts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

hah

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Would of believed that was a Cyberpunk screenie if it didn't have the subtitles.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Battledied

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not gonna lie I'm very slightly worried about what Hitman is gonna be like in 5 years. Gotta make sure I unlock all the challenges before that happens.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Battledied

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh yeah...THAT happened...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Battleborn is: no more.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
47 smirks slightly. the 15 minutes he spent making the stepladder in the back room dangerously wobbly with one leg slightly shorter than the other will soon pay off

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/finnotaku/status/1356433138373771264?s=21

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
in my experience it was more like

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I distinctly remember thinking these graphics looked like poo poo even as a kid in 99.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I saw that tweet and a few others going around, and while I agree that it looks better on a CRT I think it's stupid to be like "devs designed it with the fuzziness in mind!" Like what else would the pixel equivalent have looked like?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's less about CRTs specifically and more about the analog signals from an RF/composite connection that naturally create a softer image because the signals bleed into one another. The best example is the waterfalls in Sonic which look transparent over a crappy connection because the dithered pixels blur into one another

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

American McGay posted:

I saw that tweet and a few others going around, and while I agree that it looks better on a CRT I think it's stupid to be like "devs designed it with the fuzziness in mind!" Like what else would the pixel equivalent have looked like?

imo the point was that the art looks worse with age than it actually is because people see it now and think "wow how didn't I realise how bad it looked" when it didn't. that was my take of it anyway

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's less about CRTs specifically and more about the analog signals from an RF/composite connection that naturally create a softer image because the signals bleed into one another. The best example is the waterfalls in Sonic which look transparent over a crappy connection because the dithered pixels blur into one another

the way a crt displays a 240p image and the way an RF or composite signal blends colors are different things.

a standard def crt displays a 480i image (i meaning interlaced, meaning only half of the scanlines are displaying anything any given cycle), so the way a 240p image is sent from an old console (roughly ps1/n64 back) is by splitting the image up onto every other scanline consistently, which along with the CRT's glow, creates a unique antialiasing effect that isn't replicated when blowing up the image onto a flat panel screen. Anyone making low res games back then relied on this effect being present, including arcade developers who were working with a crystal clear RGB signal straight to a high quality monitor (no noise or color blending).

there's a lot of great CRT filters for emulators out there now though that do split up the image properly and add a nice convincing glow effect, and as these effects get better and as display technology gets better and gets less laggy there'll be no reason to keep crts around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mycophobia has 4 foot long Perfectly straight hair and glasses, several wall scrolls, and plays arcade games 6 hours a day on stream, and if anyone try’s to one up him On 1990s video display knowledge I will call the police.