Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Irony.or.Death posted:

Let's borrow your phrasing and see if that helps clarify: how would you imagine revolting against wall street without someone jumping on board to revolt against (((wall street)))?

Ten outta ten. You love to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Irony.or.Death posted:

Let's borrow your phrasing and see if that helps clarify: how would you imagine revolting against wall street without someone jumping on board to revolt against (((wall street)))?

well first of all i wouldn't try to revolt against wall street by giving wall street lots of money. there's the first mistake

lib and let die questioned if there are chuds mixed up in this. i pointed out there are, because chuds hate (((wall street))) just as much, but for different reasons, as the guillotines set. if you deny that any popular revolt against wall street doesn't have nazis mixed up in it then buddy, you're going to be hanging around with nazis

i guess the difference between us is that i don't think any of the people buying gamestop stock are good or cool, i think they are massive idiots who are going to lose a lot of money doing something very funny, but ultimately pointless. framing this in ideological terms is just the hook they are being manipulated by. "buy this stock at an inflated price, it will really piss off the bankers!" i say, tugging the hook in your mouth - extremely obvious

if you'd like to know more ways to make extremely rich people stamp their feet and curse your name, i have a newsletter with a low subscription cost (recurring monthly)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

well first of all i wouldn't try to revolt against wall street by giving wall street lots of money. there's the first mistake

lib and let die questioned if there are chuds mixed up in this. i pointed out there are, because chuds hate (((wall street))) just as much, but for different reasons, as the guillotines set. if you deny that any popular revolt against wall street doesn't have nazis mixed up in it then buddy, you're going to be hanging around with nazis

i guess the difference between us is that i don't think any of the people buying gamestop stock are good or cool, i think they are massive idiots who are going to lose a lot of money doing something very funny, but ultimately pointless. framing this in ideological terms is just the hook they are being manipulated by. "buy this stock at an inflated price, it will really piss off the bankers!" i say, tugging the hook in your mouth - extremely obvious

if you'd like to know more ways to make extremely rich people stamp their feet and curse your name, i have a newsletter with a low subscription cost (recurring monthly)

Nope.

I pointed out that the conversation has largely focused around the involvement of chuds, rather than the extraordinary measures being taken, at a much faster pace than seems to be given to issues of financial stability to us in the working class, to protect wall street from the group of redditors that may very credibly be nazis.

And now, here we are, slap fighting over whether or not it was a chud-coordinated attack, rather than gawking and being upset about how quickly the forces of america are rallying to capital's defense while we're loving starving and dying and praying after dropping the checks to $1400 that biden does not alter the deal further.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

I pointed out that the conversation has largely focused around the involvement of chuds,

:shrug: sorry man, i can't read your mind nor your twitter feed so i dont know what your perception of this discussion is on the internet at large. but

quote:

Maybe the conspiracy lunacy is coming from inside the threat,

regarding this thread, it doesn't seem too amazing to me why the qanon thread discussion would be focused on internet randos and not bankers or whatever. you seem to charge your crystals based on not understanding things though so good luck to you

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Lib and let die posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say, but it comes off as "this can't be a victory against capital because there's a credible chance that nazis were involved."

If one of my enemies hurts another of my enemies, that's good. It doesn't mean either enemy is rehabilitated, it just means one of my enemies is now weaker.

E: and to prove the point, here we are slap fighting over whether this was an anti Semitic attack, rather than Wall Street icing out us poors (to an even greater extent)

I don't know about the other guy but I personally think it's perfectly possible to believe that white supremacists are trying to use the Gamestop short situation to get sympathy for their antisemitic views and to be concerned about how they're using it as a potential recruiting tool, and also that they aren't driving the actual push to buy and hold Gamestop stock in any meaningful amount or that we have to write the whole thing off and support institutional traders just because white nationalists are trying to use it to their own ends

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:shrug: sorry man, i can't read your mind nor your twitter feed so i dont know what your perception of this discussion is on the internet at large. but

regarding this thread, it doesn't seem too amazing to me why the qanon thread discussion would be focused on internet randos and not bankers or whatever. you seem to charge your crystals based on not understanding things though so good luck to you

You apparently can't even be bothered to read my posts, either. I didn't bring up poo poo about twitter, you were the one citing tweets about "actually, this is bad because chuds".

this is definitely one of those situations where you enter with "class solidarity" intentions and end up bedfellows with nazis

https://twitter.com/lilsarg/status/1354796995483987969

capital isn't going to be hurt by this. this is not a threat to the system. this is a threat to the savings accounts of racist petit bourgeois who want to attack the "globalist bankers" who get easily fooled by internet memethink into bold but ultimately fruitless and self harming action

The deliberate focusing of the conversation on 'the chuds did it' is straight out of Manufacturing Consent, so if I'm charging my posting crystals through not understanding, then I'd suggest you have a conversation with Messrs. Chomsky and Herman about what you think of their credentials.

I'm laughing my rear end off at capitalists eating poo poo because of internet nazis, and when the capitalists strike back, i'm going to laugh at the nazis eating poo poo. they both deserve it.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 28, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Chairman posted:

I don't know about the other guy but I personally think it's perfectly possible to believe that white supremacists are trying to use the Gamestop short situation to get sympathy for their antisemitic views and to be concerned about how they're using it as a potential recruiting tool, and also that they aren't driving the actual push to buy and hold Gamestop stock in any meaningful amount or that we have to write the whole thing off and support institutional traders just because white nationalists are trying to use it to their own ends

reddit-inspired stock purchasing isn't a threat to the system, it is a threat to individual firms who engage in knowingly risky speculation, who have now discovered that they can be vulnerable to coordinated runs organized on message boards. institutional traders will be just fine, many are already profiting from this

the relevancy to this thread is that mass fantasies of somehow sticking it to the bankers by buying a shitload of stock at an absurd price are causing a bunch of people to set themselves up for major financial losses. the parallel to Qanon is evident here - it is very easy to manipulate people into self-destructive behavior if you can somehow convince them that disowning your grandchildren or spending your rent money on penny stocks is keeping the Globalist Elite up at night or whatever. trying to wedge this delusional behavior into "actually, calling it delusional means you're a tool of The Man" is simply trying to reflexively and inappropriately cast group stupidity into a strict ideological framework

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

^^^Me quoting a person^^^

>>>>My post: Ben Garrison sucks

<<<<That's My Avatar

^^^^ Me referencing my avatar <<<<<< a post about my avatar

*Inserting a label on my avatar that says "Robert Shaw". He was in a move called JAWS*

^^^That's a sentence talking about Robert Shaw^^^

^^^All those things up there are words. I used letters to make them^^^

<<<<I am an artist!

^^^That was a lovely post.^^^

🠓🠓🠓🠓 This dude down here sucks, can't draw and is a horrible person 🠓🠓🠓🠓

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lib and let die posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at capitalists eating poo poo because of internet nazis, and when the capitalists strike back, i'm going to laugh at the nazis eating poo poo. they both deserve it.

honestly my tiny brain can't comprehend all the finacial bullshit so i am basicaly this line. if redditors and channers and edglord shitfucks want to punish hedge fund dipshits because lol, than i'll lol.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Chairman posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

That's kind of the danger of any populist movement right? Groups disaffected with the status quo are prime recruiting grounds for nazis. Sort of like the yellow vest protests. I don't think it's wise to abandon a growing anticapitalist/working class movement because of the nazis using it to recruit. If anything it's more reason to step in and offer a better non-anti-Semitic answer.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say, but it comes off as "this can't be a victory against capital because there's a credible chance that nazis were involved."

If one of my enemies hurts another of my enemies, that's good. It doesn't mean either enemy is rehabilitated, it just means one of my enemies is now weaker.

E: and to prove the point, here we are slap fighting over whether this was an anti Semitic attack, rather than Wall Street icing out us poors (to an even greater extent)

Yeah but your original take was "are we sure there are any nazis in this business at all?" and when the nazis were pointed out you've moved to "hey those nazis are doing a good thing!" which IMO is a take that really deserves some self-reflection.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly my tiny brain can't comprehend all the finacial bullshit so i am basicaly this line. if redditors and channers and edglord shitfucks want to punish hedge fund dipshits because lol, than i'll lol.

right, even if you don't have the time or energy to understand the play by play, it is enough to understand that insane redditors and risky investment firms are punching the gently caress out of each others wallets and it is objectively funny. trying to map politics onto it is where it starts to get weird

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

right, even if you don't have the time or energy to understand the play by play, it is enough to understand that insane redditors and risky investment firms are punching the gently caress out of each others wallets and it is objectively funny. trying to map politics onto it is where it starts to get weird

The politics to map onto it is "the market is obviously loving insane and it is currently in control of everything"

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Somfin posted:

The politics to map onto it is "the market is obviously loving insane and it is currently in control of everything"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I love how one stock goes crazy for like a week or two and this turns into "the market is obviously insane!"

The hedge funds took a whoopin' but they aren't the ones being played for fools at this point.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
But their reaction is insane. A sane market would just ride it out. But this market is so precarious that any wobble could send the whole tower down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

exmachina posted:

But their reaction is insane. A sane market would just ride it out. But this market is so precarious that any wobble could send the whole tower down.

What has been insane about their reaction?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

When Trump can’t tweet incitement and politics returns to its much more boring normal pace, all these 24 hour newstainment sources have to get riled up about something.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

What has been insane about their reaction?

The insanity is that a bunch of idiots are able to boost the value of a stock simply by buying it (and that the value of stocks can be tied to anything other than the performance of the company), that a bunch of other idiots are able to set up financial gambling mechanisms that lead to billions of dollars disappearing because of that increase in value (and that you can make money off of betting on other company stock prices losing value), and that the machine that allows for this is also the basis of almost all of our measures of how well the economy is doing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I mean, isn't it a little bit questionable that you have a bunch of presumably sane people, all moaning "oh they want to hurt us, the poor billionaires, by investing in the market! Oh, it hurts us, precious! It makes us cry!" knowing that this was provoked by anger towards exactly those sort of people?

Capital that was invested long? That's doing quite well indeed! Those billionaires aren't on CNBC, because "hahaha these stupid loving internet assholes paid insane prices for our worthless stocks!" doesn't further their goals of having people with a limited idea of what's going on shovel money into the stock market without a bunch of forethought.

I mean, I don't know for a fact that a lot of rich people took a lot of other rich people's money in this thing, I just know it's true.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Somfin posted:

The insanity is that a bunch of idiots are able to boost the value of a stock simply by buying it (and that the value of stocks can be tied to anything other than the performance of the company), that a bunch of other idiots are able to set up financial gambling mechanisms that lead to billions of dollars disappearing because of that increase in value (and that you can make money off of betting on other companies losing money), and that the machine that allows for this is also the basis of almost all of our measures of how well the economy is doing.

The money didn't disappear, it moved. If anything, more "imaginary money" was created on the basis that GME has an absurd market cap at the moment that can never be factually realized.

The machine that allows for this is functioning as intended. A bunch of rich assholes hung their nekkid rear end out, and it got bit by a creature they weren't expecting. Sucks to be them, but that's why hedge funds require qualified investors (i.e. those who can reasonably afford to have a huge portion of their net worth wiped out when poo poo of this nature occurs).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

The insanity is that a bunch of idiots are able to boost the value of a stock simply by buying it (and that the value of stocks can be tied to anything other than the performance of the company), that a bunch of other idiots are able to set up financial gambling mechanisms that lead to billions of dollars disappearing because of that increase in value (and that you can make money off of betting on other company stock prices losing value), and that the machine that allows for this is also the basis of almost all of our measures of how well the economy is doing.

"the system gets weird when i start behaving completely irrationally" is not exactly an insightful or useful criticism. me throwing away all my money on pogs or baja blast because a meme guy convinced me pepsico would hate it if i bought their products ironically is not an indictment of capitalism, it is an indictment of my supreme malleability

don't be this guy. "i hate corporations so much i willingly gave them my money - that's praxis!"

https://twitter.com/danteatkins/status/1354843427649814528

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 29, 2021

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

GME has an absurd market cap at the moment that can never be factually realized.

PT6A posted:

The machine that allows for this is functioning as intended

Yes, and what I'm saying is that if a machine that can allow for "an absurd market cap that can never be factually realized" can still be "functioning as intended," then its intended functioning is loving insane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Somfin posted:

Yes, and what I'm saying is that if a machine that can allow for "an absurd market cap that can never be factually realized" and still be "functioning as intended," then its intended functioning is loving insane.

Why?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Somfin posted:

Yes, and what I'm saying is that if a machine that can allow for "an absurd market cap that can never be factually realized" can still be "functioning as intended," then its intended functioning is loving insane.

What if the intended function is 'transfer all money to rich people'?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

What's your confusion here? Did you not mean to use the word "absurd?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why is an unrealizable market cap absurd? Elements of the market can appear irrational at times, but overall there's still nothing fundamentally wrong with it. This whole thing was caused by a hedge fund wandering out with their bare arse exposed, and a bunch of folks wandering up and whacking it. Now a bunch of people who got a little overenthusiastic about it are set for their turn. I'm not fussed, to be honest, and it doesn't seem like a flaw in the market in the same way that the securitization of loans was leading to the 2008 GFC.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Why is an unrealizable market cap absurd?

I don't know, let's ask the person who described it that way

PT6A posted:

GME has an absurd market cap at the moment that can never be factually realized

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Somfin posted:

I don't know, let's ask the person who described it that way

An absurd market cap for a single asset doesn't imply the market itself is flawed.

The idea that the market is, as a whole, rational, does not imply that every part of the market will or should be rational at every point.

ParisFascistWeek
Jan 26, 2021

DarklyDreaming posted:

Oh yeah, if anyone learned anything from this experience is that Wall Street really is the world's most influential casino. And every casino has a few repeat customers who think they got it all figured out but they get taken to the cleaners every week

I almost majored in finance and I'm glad I didn't. Just goes to show that having a degree in the "bureaucratic art of pushing assets around" is not lucrative if you do not have any assets to push around

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The capitalism defender has logged on?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Capitalism is just evolution where the energy source is speculative betting. And evolution is irrational as all hell. Evolution gave us the platypus.

It's not about what will work in the future. It's not about what has worked before. It's about now, now, now. What works now?

Memelord conspiracy poo poo works now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can j honestly say I was hoping trump would rip off his human mask to reveal a reptilian on the last day of his presidency?

Just to hear the alt right go "well he's a GOOD reptilian see he's the one who's stopping the bad reptiles from getting us",

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Argas posted:

The capitalism defender has logged on?

Capitalism is exactly the system that allowed these hedge funds to be caught with their pants down, and it's been glorious. If they've been forced to close their positions at a massive loss, they've already lost.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Capitalism is exactly the system that allowed these hedge funds to be caught with their pants down

:thunk:

Jesus Christ what a take.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saying "I'm destroying capitalism" as you use the market to gently caress over a hedge fund is the equivalent of saying "no homo!" as a dude sucks your dick. It might make you feel better but it's a denial of what's actually going on.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You may be the dumbest person on these forums lmao.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

PT6A posted:

Capitalism is exactly the system that allowed these hedge funds to be caught with their pants down, and it's been glorious.

This is the dumbest take on this I think I've ever seen. This is like saying chemicals are good based on the fact someone who was exposed to carcinogenic chemicals got treated by chemo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Capitalism is exactly the system that allowed these hedge funds to be caught with their pants down

What, precisely, do you think capitalism actually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A miserable little pile of sublets.