Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rewatching episode 1.

Still good.

One nice thing is that, although Amuro is holding up slightly better than Frau, he's still freaking the gently caress out and breaking down. He's just able to barely keep things together, partially since it's not his family that was brutally murdered in front of him.

(Also, I finally realized the gag about Slender, Denim, and Gene a couple days ago. Gundam has had awful pun names from the very first episode.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, time to finally watch the dub I guess.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hellioning posted:

Huh, time to finally watch the dub I guess.

The guy who plays Kai has such a weasel-y voice, I love it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Edward Mass posted:

The guy who plays Kai has such a weasel-y voice, I love it.

Richard Ian Cox. I still think Bit Cloud when I hear him though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He's Inuyasha. And Lalah was Kikyo.

I really don't like the 0079 dub. The voices are great but I think it's a case of bad direction. I'll always remember it was 08th MS Team taht really got me into Gundam as its localization felt so much more natural.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

loving finally

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks.

Just watched the latest Hathaway trailer (from the Gundaminfo channel 6 days ago), looks sweet!

Also I was just reading that Tomino/Anno interview mentioned earlier. Fun stuff, I like how they're just shooting the poo poo, being blunt with if they disagree etc. Also found it funny that neither of them like Lodoss War OVA. I dig it myself. In general I dig their anti-marketing/focus group/etc etc type of stuff, the ol' keeping art raw and varied thing. Sounds good to me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tsob posted:

I made an post a week or two back about the staff on 08th MS Team and Gundam 0083, and how no-one major on staff had died during production of either. Just a storyboarder on 08th MS Team by the name of Takeyuki Kanda, who only worked on two episodes. Silly boy that I am, while looking through all the staff listings and reading the individual Wiki pages for any staff that had them, the one thing I didn't check was who the series director of either show was. As it turns out, Kanda was the series director of 08th MS Team, and not just a storyboarder. So the director of it did die during production, around about episode 5 or 6 presumably. He left behind notes that the new director worked from, but there was a new series director. So whoever I responded to thinking the show's direction had changed around the midpoint may have had a point, even if I don't agree personally and think all the problems with the show are evident since the start.

How different is the Beltorchika's Children novel to the recent manga adaption, out of interest? The manga adaption seems to have taken a good few cues from Char's Counterattack, and many parts look like they're lifted straight from the film. In the manga at least the unborn child does save Amuro, but does so right at the start of their final confrontation, and Amuro still puts in a lot of work on his own afterwards.

While I agree with the general point that Amuro isn't concerned with Char, and would have finished things immediately given the chance because he has a much more pragmatic view of their relationship, Amuro does not enter Axis to blow it up from the inside. He enters Axis to check if Bright is still inside, then as soon as he enters Axis realizes that Bright must be and spends literally his entire time inside Axis baiting Char by talking to him, and trying to lure him in to traps to kill him. He doesn't spend one second in Axis trying to blow it up, or do anything beyond talk to and/or kill Char. Which is basically how he treats their entire final confrontation. Amuro is not trying to destroy Axis on his own; that's Brights job. It's not something he'd even be capable of using just the Nu, at least not without some kind of miracle like the finale of the film. Bright is the one trying to destroy Axis using the nukes, and then going inside to blow it up using conventional explosives to set off nuclear armaments inside when that fails. Taking out the thrusters, even taking out all of them, wouldn't stop Axis on it's own, because momentum exists, but would slow down it's acceleration and give Bright more time to act. Amuro does take attacks of opportunity while distracting Char, but distracting Char and stopping Char from stopping attempts to destroy Axis is his main focus. If he could kill Char rather than just distract him, then all the better really.

I haven't read the novel, but in the manga and I think this moment is such a perfect encapsulation of Char and Amuro, in the manga after they go through Axis, Char gets back in the Nightingale before Amuro gets back in the Hi-Nu, and his response is to immediately attack him. And would have killed him if not for Newtype Baby interference. And that was... Char talks about how much he wants to have the "Honorable Duel" with Amuro to prove he's better, but when the chips were down, he'd take a win via sneak attack.

I would also say that Char and Amuro represent Tomino's "gently caress adults" mindset. Char is someone who acts like the evil adults Tomino hates, he's manipulative, he's petty, he doesn't care about other people, he uses money and lies. But mentally he's like a child he hasn't grown up. Amuro, on the other hand, is more mature, but he still has a child's innocence. He is honest, he doesn't manipulate people, he might fail if he tries to help but he does try, he's concerned almost entirely for others. Amuro has grown up but not lost connection to his youthful innocence, while Char is immature but acts like the adults Tomino hates.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone else think the Wing gundam looks like it has elf ears

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone else think the Wing gundam looks like it has elf ears

Wing Zero and EW Wing definitely do have elf ears now that you mention it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably late to the party but I finally got to read through Volume 15 of the Gundam Thunderbolt manga and hahahaha what the gently caress this poo poo is gonna go off the rails real fuckin' fast, ain't it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ver. Ka illustration of the base Wing Gundam has them too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Ver. Ka illustration of the base Wing Gundam has them too.

Every iteration of the Wing Gundam has them. Epyon too, though way more pronounced.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The Exia has them too.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

They aren't ears they are cheek guards

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MyushiVerSCOOTY posted:

They aren't ears they are cheek guards

Maybe they're cat ears like your avatar. Neko Gundam

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe they're cat ears like your avatar. Neko Gundam

I think that's the GNT-0000SHIA.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I think that's the GNT-0000SHIA.

Gundam nyaa.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In keeping with the theme of the suits, I assume they're meant to evoke a winged helmet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a kabuto helmet, actually. that's what the standard gundam head shape is based on, including the v fins.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Probably late to the party but I finally got to read through Volume 15 of the Gundam Thunderbolt manga and hahahaha what the gently caress this poo poo is gonna go off the rails real fuckin' fast, ain't it

What’s happening in volume 15?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a kabuto helmet, actually. that's what the standard gundam head shape is based on, including the v fins.

There are kabuto designs with wings, too. Sengoku era samurai were all about that artistic variation.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
In rewatching 0083, I have one question about the last couple of episodes

Why did Kou prioritize going after Cima over going after Gato in the last episode (revenge is one thing, but uh... not doing the second part is probably the biggest reason Stardust still succeeded)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MechaX posted:

In rewatching 0083, I have one question about the last couple of episodes

Why did Kou prioritize going after Cima over going after Gato in the last episode (revenge is one thing, but uh... not doing the second part is probably the biggest reason Stardust still succeeded)

Because Kou makes bad decisions.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DamnGlitch posted:

What’s happening in volume 15?

For a quick minor-spoiler summary of the last English manga volume of Gundam Thunderbolt:

No real action scenes; both factions are basically moving pieces across the board in order to get ready for the next big confrontation, this time on Luna. The old lady in charge of the Foundation basically got fired by ESDF, so she called up Anaheim Electronics and then they screamed at ESDF to put her back in charge again. Anaheim really wants a Psycho Zaku for research & development. Lorenz's old Zeon friends meet up with him again and sign on with the psychic cult. Io Fleming wakes up from his PTSD coma and shoots Cornelius dead before he succeeds in poisoning Io, saved by the psychic twin girls.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Because Kou makes bad decisions.

And even with them, he still could have stopped Stardust if Nina didn't make even worse decisions.

I'd ask "What is even her problem?" but top scientists have worked on the problem for decades without even approaching a solution.

In more successful studies, though, I've been looking at IBO's fleet counts and comparing to UC numbers, and at a glance?

I think Gjallarhorn has the largest fleets of any faction in Gundam. Not insane considering the setting, but kinda impressive.

In terms of explicit numbers, we know that Rustal's fleet has 41 battleships. 40 Halfbeaks, 1 Skipjack. We can get that by math (The Mars garrison has 10 Halfbeaks, McGillis had twice as many when he went to war with Rustal, Rustal had twice as many ships as McGillis) and onscreen (McGillis's post-battle display shows 41 icons for Rustal's fleet). Since McGillis has 20, and Rustal has both his and Iok's fleets, we can assume that each of the seven stars has around 20 battleships, giving us 120 overall.

That's battleships, though. For cruisers, the show gives us much less. However, we do see a portion of the Arianrhod fleet in season 1, bringing "only" five of their Halfbeaks... in addition to 53 small Biscoe class cruisers. Assuming that's the standard ratio, that gives us 424 Biscoes in the Arianrhod fleet and 1,272 overall. (We didn't see any on either side in the final space battle, but given their small size in comparison, presumably they were either considered irrelevant in large fleet battles or they were unavailable. I can't imagine they'd last long against Halfbeaks, at any rate, even in large numbers, and they might have trouble keeping up with larger ships.)

Comparing it to the Federation in the original Gundam, it's said that half the fleet was lost at Loum. Going by the Entertainment Bible, the Federation lost 36 Battleships, 139 Salamis, 114 L144 Minesweepers, and 82 Columbus Class ships in that battle. That means at full strength the Federation had about 72 Battleships, 278 Cruisers, 228 Missile Frigates, and 200 Columbus Class transports for a total of about 778 warships. Maybe comparable to Gjallarhorn in tonnage (Biscoes are only about 150 feet long) but in raw number of ships, they're well behind.

Moving on to the bodycount, if we assume that Halfbeaks have crew numbers between World War 2 battleships and modern aircraft carriers, there were about 800,000 fatalities in the McGillis Fareed Incident, all combatants. (18 fully crewed Halfbeaks destroyed by Rustal's forces, 2 destroyed by McGillis) Eight times more deaths than in Gundam Wing's conflicts, but still pretty smallscale compared to Gundam's usual.

I don't know how this all maps out (and considering that the Mars garrison of Gjallarhorn only had about 40 Mobile Suits, it's likely that the ship to MS ratio is lower in IBO than in most serieses), but it was interesting enough for me while I was looking at the data, and I figured, until an official source says something, someone else might find it worth looking at and going "huh".

Edit: Don't know where I got 800K from. Looks like it'd be closer to 80,000, unless Halfbeak crews are 40,000 people, which seems more than a little high. So, probably less than 100,000 dead in IBO overall, depending on how big the farm Hashmal destroyed was.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 17, 2021

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

tsob posted:

I made an post a week or two back about the staff on 08th MS Team and Gundam 0083, and how no-one major on staff had died during production of either. Just a storyboarder on 08th MS Team by the name of Takeyuki Kanda, who only worked on two episodes. Silly boy that I am, while looking through all the staff listings and reading the individual Wiki pages for any staff that had them, the one thing I didn't check was who the series director of either show was. As it turns out, Kanda was the series director of 08th MS Team, and not just a storyboarder. So the director of it did die during production, around about episode 5 or 6 presumably. He left behind notes that the new director worked from, but there was a new series director. So whoever I responded to thinking the show's direction had changed around the midpoint may have had a point, even if I don't agree personally and think all the problems with the show are evident since the start.

hey that was me! im a pretty good movie watcher so it *felt* noticable but you made a compelling case so i was like sure ill believe you, im just a nobody :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Fleet stuff

What about the Federation fleet around the time of Operation Star One or Operation Stardust? The fleet destroyed at Loum was a major part of the initial EFSF numbers in the war but by the time they launched the counteroffensive they had recovered their material losses. A Baoa Qu took a huge chunk out of the Federation fleet when Gihren blasted Degwin and and Revill during the ceasefire preparations. But even with that major blow there were still hundreds of ships at the very least for the naval review when Gato nuked the fleet again.

I dont have hard numbers but the EFSF being able to shoulder three crippling blows to their fleet and still be able to fight wars gives me the sense that their numbers are huge.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about the Federation fleet around the time of Operation Star One or Operation Stardust? The fleet destroyed at Loum was a major part of the initial EFSF numbers in the war but by the time they launched the counteroffensive they had recovered their material losses. A Baoa Qu took a huge chunk out of the Federation fleet when Gihren blasted Degwin and and Revill during the ceasefire preparations. But even with that major blow there were still hundreds of ships at the very least for the naval review when Gato nuked the fleet again.

I dont have hard numbers but the EFSF being able to shoulder three crippling blows to their fleet and still be able to fight wars gives me the sense that their numbers are huge.

According to Entertainment Bible 39 (which tends to go pretty high end), as of Operation Star 1 the Federation had:
18 Battleships
98 Cruisers
4800 Mobile Suits
900 Fighters
110 Assault Boats
84 Columbus class

Putting them at 310 ships overall. Considering their initial fleet in that source said they had 92 battleships, 473 cruisers, 620 other combat vessels, and 1340 support vessels, that suggests they got chewed up quite a bit, even if they managed to recover enough to get back in the fight. (Also, that puts their initial totals notably ahead of Gjallarhorn, even if Gjallarhorn still dominates in battleship count)

Of course, going by the animation (both in dialogue and in visuals) things seem a bit smaller scale, but if you have a lot of different writers over 40 plus years. Such is life.

(For a Victory era figure, Zanscare had about 50 ships, according to the novels. Meanwhile, three of the Federation's fleets put together have about 20 warships and 300 Mobile suits, suggesting a total fleet of around 140 ships and 2000 Mobile Suits. A significant force, but well below the glory days.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worth noting that (a) Arianrhod is Gjallarhorn's hammer, the biggest, nastiest, and best-equipped fighting force in the solar system, and (b) it's only one of a number of fleets Gjallarhorn has. So we can assume that they have many more ships than Rustal's forces, but we also can't use those forces as an indicator of the average size of a Gjallarhorn fleet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Worth noting that (a) Arianrhod is Gjallarhorn's hammer, the biggest, nastiest, and best-equipped fighting force in the solar system, and (b) it's only one of a number of fleets Gjallarhorn has. So we can assume that they have many more ships than Rustal's forces, but we also can't use those forces as an indicator of the average size of a Gjallarhorn fleet.

Fair enough.

We do see a number of other fleet deployments (Carta had a dozen or so Halfbeaks, there's ten on Mars, McGillis had twenty, Iok had 7ish when he went after the Turbines), so I was ballparking 20 as an average per (remaining) member of the Seven Stars in season 2. Lower estimates are perfectly reasonable.

(I also was leaning a bit higher end since there were enough Halfbeaks around that one could be sold to JPT trust without raising any eyebrows. Corruption covers most of it, but larger numbers would make that kind of sale easier to bury.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Comparing it to the Federation in the original Gundam, it's said that half the fleet was lost at Loum. Going by the Entertainment Bible, the Federation lost 36 Battleships, 139 Salamis, 114 L144 Minesweepers, and 82 Columbus Class ships in that battle. That means at full strength the Federation had about 72 Battleships, 278 Cruisers, 228 Missile Frigates, and 200 Columbus Class transports for a total of about 778 warships. Maybe comparable to Gjallarhorn in tonnage (Biscoes are only about 150 feet long) but in raw number of ships, they're well behind.

I don't know if Loum should be taken as the peak of Federation ship numbers really, since it seems like there we see dozens of Magellan and Salamis ships on screen at any one time at both Solomon and A Baoa Qu even just sticking to the animation, and it seems like it's meant to be hundreds of them. When the colony laser is fired you can see dozens of ships being incinerated on screen during any shots of it as another example, and to the extent any are recognisable from their profile it's more Magellans and Salamis class ships. Which are basically the battleships of the Federation during the One Year War, though you appear to be counting battleships as a different thing entirely.

Additionally, if you go to Gundam 0083's naval review there are hundreds of what can be presumed to be battleships on screen at several points in what is suggested to be just part of the overall amount and could add up to thousands of ships.

Ramadu posted:

hey that was me! im a pretty good movie watcher so it *felt* noticable but you made a compelling case so i was like sure ill believe you, im just a nobody :)

We're all Nemos together :shobon:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So a huge while ago I was talking the Beltorchika's children with someone, and they brought up how much they loved the Nightingale for what it represented. Because on the surface yeah it's this big hulking monster mecha packed to the gills with every weapon imaginable. It's also the fusion dance of The O, the Qubeley and the Zeong.

With the Zeong, Char learned that moving the cockpit to the head body made it unlikely to be killed in modern combat (since most would target the torso) and that it opened up more space for more weaponry on the mobile suit. From The O he learned that sufficient enough thrust can completely invalidate the disadvantages of a larger mobile suit, while actually providing a tactical advantage, he also added in the manipulator arms. The Qubeley influence is clear the funnels and the wing binders, providing more space for additional thrusters and sharper turning because of how they could be angled, alongside remote weaponry to make proper use of his Newtype abilities.

It kinda makes sense that Char, obsessing over how he's going to beat Amuro, would look to all these different suits that he once fought against or with and just slam them together.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

tsob posted:

I don't know if Loum should be taken as the peak of Federation ship numbers really, since it seems like there we see dozens of Magellan and Salamis ships on screen at any one time at both Solomon and A Baoa Qu even just sticking to the animation, and it seems like it's meant to be hundreds of them. When the colony laser is fired you can see dozens of ships being incinerated on screen during any shots of it as another example, and to the extent any are recognisable from their profile it's more Magellans and Salamis class ships. Which are basically the battleships of the Federation during the One Year War, though you appear to be counting battleships as a different thing entirely.

I went and dug up some old numbers I had on this from years back. At Solomon, the 3rd Fleet with White Base is only shown to be like a dozen ships, and Tianem's larger fleet is like 30 or so. A Baoa Qu is a bit less consistent with what is shown on screen, since the Federation is said to be attacking in three groups. The one with White Base that hits S-Field is like 25 ships, mostly Salamis. The other groups in the attack have more battleships, and I believe it was implied those groups are larger too, so the floor for their fleet there is about 75-80 ships. The various old source books like Entertainment Bible 39 and Mobile Suit Variations 3, which predictably aren't always consistent between one and other (Or sometimes even within themselves), put the Federation fleet around 100~ warships (Magellan and Salamis classes), give or take a dozen depending on the books, which fits.

For Loum, the numbers are even more widely all over the place. EB1 had the Federation fleet pretty small, just 12 battleships and 61 cruisers, while EB39 has upped this to 48 battleships, between 150 and 160 cruisers, and both sources have them with approximately 200 other supply, transports, and smaller ships. Those are the numbers that are most well known and mostly heavily repeated elsewhere, but the problem then becomes is that the old versions of Loum talked about in the print books from the 80's through the early 00's don't match the way Loum is shown in later works like IGLOO and Origin much at all. IGLOO shows numbers very close to what was originally in EB1. Origin has the Federation fleet split up, with Tianem's fleet being 15 battleships and 30 cruisers, while Revil's fleet is twice that size, and IIRC they engage separately. Older sources imply the battle occurred right in the middle of Side 5, and was a bloody slugfest for both sides that annihilated Side 5 in the crossfire (Possibly with nukes getting widely used?). IGLOO has it entirely out in the middle of space without a colony anywhere on screen. Origin has a battle out in space and then Zeon sending ground troops into the colonies to clear them out, while older sources had the colonies getting caught in the crossfire or Zeon just going and nuking/gassing them like the did the other colonies during the first week of the war. Older sources also say Loum was the largest battle in history, so it having more ships that the later war actions makes a bit of sense, but again, older sources.

Hell, the whole reason for the battle of Loum at all isn't even clear, ranging from it being a follow up to Zeon's failed attack on Side 5 during the first week of the war (Very old sources, like the MSG novelization and early reference works), to it being an attempt at a second colony drop (Mostly mid-80's source books, but IIRC also later stuff like Gihren's Greed), to a Zeon ruse about a second colony drop attempt entirely to draw the main Federation fleet out into an ambush (IGLOO & Origin, I think?).

tl;dr: It's all a loving mess, sources never all worked together, battles large and all numbers subject to change at any time.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 30, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Onmi posted:

It kinda makes sense that Char, obsessing over how he's going to beat Amuro, would look to all these different suits that he once fought against or with and just slam them together.

I dunno if the entire point about how Amuro got the psycho-frame was different in Beltorchika's Children but I think it would still be in character for Char to completely skip any actual analysis of Amuro in particular and just go straight to "he can have an even more powerful Gundam I guess, I want to make my victory perfect" while Char obsesses over his past defeats in the Zeong and also how badly he got destroyed by Haman and Scirroco.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 30, 2021

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

MechaX posted:

I dunno if the entire point about how Amuro got the psycho-frame was different in Beltorchika's Children but I think it would still be in character for Char to completely skip any actual analysis of Amuro in particular and just go straight to "he can have an even more powerful Gundam I guess, I want to make my victory perfect" while Char obsesses over his past defeats in the Zeong and also how badly he got destroyed by Haman and Scirroco.

IIRC in Beltorchika's Children, Char and his forces leave behind Glarv's (the novel version of Gyunei) Psycho Doga after Amuro damages it during the Fifth Luna battle at the beginning, Amuro takes the Psycho Doga back to the Ra Cailum and they put its psycho-frame cockpit into the Nu Gundam when Beltorchika delivers it later (and install the leftover psycho-frame material into the Re-GZ afterwards).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's still the same 'concept' though, that Glarv believes Char made him leave the Psycho Doga so Amuro would get it. I don't believe he ever says to Amuro that he gave it to him for a proper fight, like he does in the film, but they also don't bicker in the end. Char's last words are being slightly glad he failed because Sayla lives on earth and it means he didn't kill her, while Amuro's is Beltorchika's name.

Amuro does bring up to Beltorchika that Char "Let him" have the Psycoframe and knew about the Hi-Nu. But it is interesting to see Amuro's mentality.

I guess Tomino really did want to emphasize Amuro's strength coming from loved ones and Fatherhood. Pity the execs gave the usual, "No one wants to see the hero with a wife and kid." Nonsense stuff.

Also, wanted to showcase the "For all Char's talk of a fair fight he attacks Amuro when he can't fight back" in the manga BC

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's technically in the Gundam....

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Char could have hit him with like 10x the firepower of a kick. it was one for old times sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With the Nightingale in surprised he didn't go for a crotch punt. That thing is massive.