Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Tin Machine is underated imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Let's Dance rocks

My friend refers to Let's Dance as "Cat People and Other Songs" which is accurate. I think I've listened to the entire Let's Dance album one time. The non-Cat People songs on that album range from "Alright I guess" and completely forgettable. It's just such a boring treading water album to me, especially since it comes right after Scary Monsters which is not only one of his best albums but one of my all time favorite albums over all. I also think the album suffers from the lineup of musicians Bowie worked with through most of the 70s and Tony Visconti being jettisoned. Speaking of which, does anyone know which single has this version of Cat People:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeREoz4gXX4

I have the 12" single version of this but it's just an extended version of the one from the Let's Dance album. I haven't seen the film but I'm guessing this is the movie version of the song. But if I recall correctly some of the singles with the movie artwork on them are the album version. I may be wrong.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 29, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

My friend refers to Let's Dance as "Cat People and Other Songs" which is accurate. I think I've listened to the entire Let's Dance album one time. The non-Cat People songs on that album range from "Alright I guess" and completely forgettable. It's just such a boring treading water album to me, especially since it comes right after Scary Monsters which is not only one of his best albums but one of my all time favorite albums over all. I also think the album suffers from the lineup of musicians Bowie worked with through most of the 70s and Tony Visconti being jettisoned. Speaking of which, does anyone know which single has this version of Cat People:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeREoz4gXX4

I have the 12" single version of this but it's just an extended version of the one from the Let's Dance album. I haven't seen the film but I'm guessing this is the movie version of the song. But if I recall correctly some of the singles with the movie artwork on them are the album version. I may be wrong.

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Music-By-Giorgio-Moroder-Cat-People-Putting-Out-Fire-From-The-Original-Soundtrack/release/571309

this is the one I believe.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

i own this (e: actually the 7" version, though i've actually never realized until now that it's truncated [not that i'm surprised] - i think it maybe just has an early fade before the long coda of the original?) and can confirm, it's also bowie's best 80s song and i include all of scary monsters in that assessment :colbert:

let's dance and modern love are great, china girl is sooort of a problematic fav but it turns out when you replace iggy pop's obvious sleaze with slicked-back 80s sheen it gets even grosser and in a less knowing way, and the rest is...... there, i guess. i don't think anyone's gonna go to bat for ricochet. or shake it

somehow, other than that single, the only 80s bowie i own is a japanese 7" of blue jean and... the loving baal ep. i thought i was a bowie expert until i ran into this in a store and genuinely had no idea what the gently caress it was

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 29, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks to you both.

I will say that the movie version of Cat People is great so I can't find fault with you saying it could be his 80s best counting Scary Monsters. I'm extremely biased about anything involving that album so it's hard for me to decide on that one but I do love the song. The Let's Dance version of China Girl is obviously inferior but I can't really complain too much about that one because Bowie's reason for doing a new version of the song was so Iggy Pop could get the royalties as he was having money trouble at that time. The original version of that song is incredibly sinister. The whole thing sounds like a threat from a drugged out vampire (which is kind of was, I guess). The Bowie version sounds like it's just some self important yuppie trying to force himself on a young woman while on a business trip. Both contexts are bad scenarios, but the original has this darkness to it. Sleaze is spot on. The Idiot in general sounds like an album that came out of a wet musty basement in an abandoned building. It's a bit dystopian. The Idiot sounds like dangerous people lurking in an alley behind a nightclub.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

RC and Moon Pie posted:

You might want to try Clearwater Records next time.

I was in Clearwater for a concert in late 2019 and didn't want to drive over to Bananas. I Googled nearby record stores and found this one. They had a similar unsorted back room with a pretty good collection. Even the main section was pretty agreeable. Picked up a nice copy of The Court of the Crimson King for something like $15.

They must be new. My old Pinellas County record staples were Bananas, Daddy Kool, and Planet Retro. Occasionally Steady Sounds as well but I know that one died even before the pandemic. :rip:

Man, I miss living in a town that had three stellar record shops with minimal overlap. St. Pete record scene is spoiled, I tell you.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Look at all these folks missing out on Earthling and Outside. Those are great albums. Hours and Black Tie White Noise are the real stinkers compared to Tonight and Never Let Me Down

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I haven't heard a whole lot of Bowie's 90s stuff but what I have heard didn't grab me. I'm not against giving it a real try though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

screaden posted:

Look at all these folks missing out on Earthling and Outside. Those are great albums. Hours and Black Tie White Noise are the real stinkers compared to Tonight and Never Let Me Down

Black Tie White Noise is very boring

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

screaden posted:

Whoa now we have to fight. Hours as a whole may be a bit overproduced and left some of the best material on the cutting room floor but Something in the Air/New Angels of Promise/The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell are up there with his greatest tracks.
If he'd kept We All Go Through and We Shall Go to Town on there it would have been amazing rather than just "a pretty good album for Bowie doing a videogame concept soundtrack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCEiGQcOj90

e:
And for Black Tie White Noise it's got Nite Flights, Jump They Say, Pallas Athena, and The Wedding Song.

Miracle Goodnight and Don't Let Me Down and Down right next to each other is drat near 10 minutes of ear poison though, I agree.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 29, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like Hours but it is also sentimental to me.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

screaden posted:

IMO, a major standout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDkRpqO-b0

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm Afraid of Americans is a great track, but 90's Bowie just doesnt do it for me. I'll probably return to them at some point but Bowie released straight bangers from the 60's to the 80's and then he made a bunch of movies in my eyes and a real good sorta-not-posthumous record that is very hard to listen to now and I rarely put it on without feeling a swell of emotions.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

e:
And for Black Tie White Noise it's got Nite Flights, Jump They Say, Pallas Athena, and The Wedding Song.

the last 3 are fine but that cover of nite flights is like a bottom-10 bowie song

I came around on Earthling a couple years ago after a friend of mine mentioned it was his second favorite Bowie album, which really caused me to reevaluate what I thought were objectively true facts about music (tbf said friend is a huge fan of 90s dance cheese). Finally listened to Outside last year at some appropriately apocalyptic-feeling time when I was thinking "eh, if I die in this whole pandemic or whatever I don't want to go to the grave having never listened to Outside." Didn't quite live up to the hype but it is quite an album.

Haven't given Hours or Heathen a full listen yet, probably should. I've been avoiding the Bowie box sets because (a) money and (b) I generally like getting old records in stores instead of remasters, but when the 90s box set comes around, I'll probably jump on that because... well, I assume like any popular mid 90s albums, you're just not going to find those records in any stores.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

the last 3 are fine but that cover of nite flights is like a bottom-10 bowie song

I came around on Earthling a couple years ago after a friend of mine mentioned it was his second favorite Bowie album, which really caused me to reevaluate what I thought were objectively true facts about music (tbf said friend is a huge fan of 90s dance cheese). Finally listened to Outside last year at some appropriately apocalyptic-feeling time when I was thinking "eh, if I die in this whole pandemic or whatever I don't want to go to the grave having never listened to Outside." Didn't quite live up to the hype but it is quite an album.

Haven't given Hours or Heathen a full listen yet, probably should. I've been avoiding the Bowie box sets because (a) money and (b) I generally like getting old records in stores instead of remasters, but when the 90s box set comes around, I'll probably jump on that because... well, I assume like any popular mid 90s albums, you're just not going to find those records in any stores.

Heathen is absolutely my favorite, and I would argue has some of Bowie's best and most haunting vocal performances of his career, specifically (my favorite Bowie song of all time, 5:15 Angels Have Gone) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZYqKYPI4U
and the title track Heathen (The Rays)

The bit in 5:15 at 1:45 when he cuts in with "Weeeeeeeeeeee never talk anymore" I feel like that's a voice that is throwing a punch at you

e:
And the opener, Sunday - same deal. He just really cuts loose on that album.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 29, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah Heathen is great and Reality isn’t that bad either. New Day is good. Bowie is good.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
All of this Bowiechat is reminding me that I need the most basic bitch Bowie album (Ziggy Stardust) but there's lots of people complaining about the one easily available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Ziggy-Stardust-Spiders-Vinyl/dp/B01AJZ8EMG/ref=sr_1_1) Anyone have this version and willing to confirm/deny that I should be paying for some other pressing?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Buy one off discogs for 5 dollars

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Heathen is absolutely my favorite, and I would argue has some of Bowie's best and most haunting vocal performances of his career, specifically (my favorite Bowie song of all time, 5:15 Angels Have Gone) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZYqKYPI4U
and the title track Heathen (The Rays)

The bit in 5:15 at 1:45 when he cuts in with "Weeeeeeeeeeee never talk anymore" I feel like that's a voice that is throwing a punch at you

e:
And the opener, Sunday - same deal. He just really cuts loose on that album.

This album has my favorite Bowie song (after John, I'm Only Dancing) so it holds a warm place in my heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjhWM_Ubspg

Also, Outside has a bunch of bangers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepBpZ3kXek

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Some of Bowie's later stuff feel really influenced by late Scott Walker stuff to me, it's a really unique vibe that you don't hear as often in his earlier work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ca0UaKbSU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOGPDAFTLQY

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Reality is okay but New Killer Star is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwH1g2fW6Pc

Fall Dog Bombs the Moon is also a good one off of it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

lament.cfg posted:

Buy one off discogs for 5 dollars
I wish. Anything mint or near mint is going for $25-ish. Even VG+ is $20+

I'll probably go that route eventually but with the mail being messed up, discogs orders are taking 3+ weeks to get to me, whereas Amazon is back to 2 days.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stealie72 posted:

I wish. Anything mint or near mint is going for $25-ish. Even VG+ is $20+

I'll probably go that route eventually but with the mail being messed up, discogs orders are taking 3+ weeks to get to me, whereas Amazon is back to 2 days.

You're pretty much paying the same price, I'd just go with an older copy rather than a reissue that people are saying is questionable. Shipping's not bad if the seller is in the same region as you. I've had stuff that only took a few days to come around.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Just bought one of these second hand. New to vinyls and needed something to work with. Door seems to be misaligned and closes but won't lock fully. Looks like the previous owner didn't drill in the screws at the right angle. Otherwise, nice looking setup! Spinning now.

Product is
Everett Record Player Stand in Mahogany Finish - :siren:Crosley:siren: CF1104-MA

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Trigger warning

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
They have taste. That is probably the US pressing of Ghost Stories on top and the European pressing below.

edit: drat. AND Foster the People?

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 30, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

zaepg posted:

Just bought one of these second hand. New to vinyls and needed something to work with. Door seems to be misaligned and closes but won't lock fully. Looks like the previous owner didn't drill in the screws at the right angle. Otherwise, nice looking setup! Spinning now.

Product is
Everett Record Player Stand in Mahogany Finish - :siren:Crosley:siren: CF1104-MA

That looks like a nice piece of furniture. If you want to fix the doors take off the hinges put wood putty in the holes, let it sit for 24 hours, and then you can drill the holes in the appropriate place. It's a cheap and easy fix. Just make sure the holes are fully packed with the putty.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

CPL593H posted:

Just make sure the holes are fully packed with the putty.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I never had a chance to get into Bowie and I feel incredibly left out of the last couple pages. All I can offer is this live performance that I’ve always loved, I don’t know if this is a 90s song or an 80s song but I vaguely recall having heard the studio recording once long after having heard this and deciding that this was the superior version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoeDNp9zBI

On that note, the Late Night with Conan O’Brien CD that had that song was a real gem. Get it for some real good 90s stuff.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

abraham linksys posted:

let's dance and modern love are great, china girl is sooort of a problematic fav but it turns out when you replace iggy pop's obvious sleaze with slicked-back 80s sheen it gets even grosser and in a less knowing way, and the rest is...... there, i guess. i don't think anyone's gonna go to bat for ricochet. or shake it
I like Let's Dance probably more than a lot of people (more than anyone I've ever talked with about Bowie in real life, at least) and "Ricochet" is still a guaranteed skip. If it was two minutes shorter, it might be fine. But this "Criminal World" erasure will not stand.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Booooo, get out.

pwn posted:

I never had a chance to get into Bowie and I feel incredibly left out of the last couple pages. All I can offer is this live performance that I’ve always loved, I don’t know if this is a 90s song or an 80s song but I vaguely recall having heard the studio recording once long after having heard this and deciding that this was the superior version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoeDNp9zBI

On that note, the Late Night with Conan O’Brien CD that had that song was a real gem. Get it for some real good 90s stuff.

I will go to my grave saying that there needs to be a video or at least an album of all the White Stripes appearances from Late Night.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

phosdex posted:

I've got mp3s of Moon Safari and 10000 Hz Legend, which I like. For whatever reason I've never listened beyond those 2 and Virgin Suicides. I should get around to listening to more.

DARKEL is only one of them but very good imo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Paul Leary's Born Stupid has started shipping.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I had a nice surprise in with a record I recently ordered. I got an email from them after placing my order saying they were excited because I was their first ever order from California.

After a few weeks I got a package from England with a handwritten note and a bonus record of a few members’ earlier project. Really cool of them!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve been on a record buying hiatus for a while since I’m running out of room for them, but my birthday is coming up so I bought six Here Lies Man records, including a test press of their first album that seemed somewhat reasonable at $50.

Oh and I recently got the GISM reissue and the new Jesu on pretty vinyl.

Problem is, my turntables are a little hosed and I haven’t been able to fix them myself so far. I think they got a bit damaged in a move and I don’t want to use them on my records until I know they aren’t loving them up.

Anyone know a good place in NYC to get 1200s repaired?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
apparently this is "Very Good Plus"

would hate to see what it would have looked like without the "Plus"

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

JAMOOOL posted:

apparently this is "Very Good Plus"

would hate to see what it would have looked like without the "Plus"

How's the record

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/product-p/3sestrips-10-pk.htm

These things are wonderful for sleeve repair. I bought a couple packs and went through my older records looking for repairs to do. Works wonderfully.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dorium posted:

These things are wonderful for sleeve repair. I bought a couple packs and went through my older records looking for repairs to do. Works wonderfully.

Huh that's faster and easier than the old liquid glue on the outside edge of the seam method I use. Sobo craft glue does solve a lot of ills for me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I saw these the other day and was like "Hey that's cool!" and thought about buying them but five seconds later I realized I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't have the patience for that poo poo and I put everything in plastic sleeves so good enough. It's a really good idea though.