Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Jazerus posted:

oh, but at least he's not anti-semitic

I have bad news for you regarding the content of the 2004 novel Sevenry Two Virgins, written by one B. Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lobster God posted:

I have bad news for you regarding the content of the 2004 novel Sevenry Two Virgins, written by one B. Johnson.

ah, well, nevertheless

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

drat and Jeremy corbyn almost got away with it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

twoday posted:

Hmm the mail is bad, but the express always struck me as much worse

e:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Why the Guardian is the ultimate lib paper:

Don't drat the Daily Mail for its fascist flirtation 80 years ago

Roy Greenslade posted:

One of the things that always makes me furious is the knee-jerk stupidity of saying that the Daily Mail used to support fascism, thereby implying that it is somehow tainted goods in its modern form.

I certainly have my differences with the politics of the modern Mail, but it is blind prejudice to link what it published, for a brief period, in the 1930s to what it does today.

So I was delighted to see on Anna Raccoon's blog last week a piece by Matt Wardman in which he presented a media history lesson.

He omitted a crucial fact and I'll come to that in a moment. But he made two very important points - firstly, the Mail was not the only paper to carry articles supporting Oswald Mosley's blackshirts. The Daily Mirror did too.

Secondly, trying to criticise the 2011 Mail by pointing to an 80-year-old aberration lacks any value whatsoever. It not only had no lasting effect on the Mail. It had almost no effect even at the time.

Not that Mail was alone, Express in particular, well:

quote:

The Mirror's sister paper, then known as the Sunday Pictorial, even ran pictures of uniformed blackshirts playing table tennis and enjoying a sing-song around a piano. Both titles also planned a beauty contest aimed at finding Britain's prettiest woman fascist.

Not many people know that. Certainly, nothing like as many as know that the Mail ran Rothermere's "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" (which is Wardman's point).

He isn't doing down the Mirror. He is merely saying that it is unfair that one title should suffer from the association with fascism while the other doesn't.

But there is more context that is important. Harold's son, Esmond (Rothermere the Second) assumed control of the Mail before Harold died in 1940. Its coverage from the outbreak of war the year before reveals not a scintilla of support for Hitler.

It is also important to view Harold's misguided views through the prism of widespread support for appeasement, not least from The Times under the editorship of Geoffrey Dawson and, of course, many leading politicians.

Lastly, it is also the case that the Mail of the 1930s was not nearly as influential as the Daily Express and its owner, Lord Beaverbrook.

And it was the Express, in March 1933, that ran a splash headlined "Judea declares war on Germany: Jews of all the world unite in action".

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Jan 29, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad island. No good.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Bad island. No good.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Stairmaster posted:

Bad island. No good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol, full on Garth Merenghi

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/SlimyQuagsire/status/1198320201793753089?s=20

Ploughman’s lunch with a salad?? Where is the pickle

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i had no idea chicken tikka masala was a classic british food

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shear Modulus posted:

i had no idea chicken tikka masala was a classic british food

Victorian fusion food. "Yeah, this spicy chicken is good stuff but we're British so make it like it has gravy on."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gats Akimbo posted:

Victorian fusion food. "Yeah, this spicy chicken is good stuff but we're British so make it like it has gravy on."

lol i actually didn't know that

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's much more recent than Victorian (late 60s to early 70s) but yeah the rest is about right. There's lots of people claiming that their uncle or dad made the original chicken tikka masala.

quote:

On a typical dark, wet Glasgow night, a bus driver coming off shift came in and ordered a chicken curry. He sent it back to the waiter saying it's dry. At the time, Dad had an ulcer and was enjoying a plate of tomato soup. So he said why not put some tomato soup into the curry with some spices. They sent it back to the table and the bus driver absolutely loved it. He and his friends came back again and again and we put it on the menu.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

twoday posted:

i live here and i never noticed how brown it all is until you line it up like that

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

twoday posted:

I'm the market researcher doing a 4chan meme format from 15 years ago

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Not even using the S tier scale smdh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

lol i actually didn't know that

It’s our one good food but it’s only sort of ours?? I dunno

Ugh gently caress everything in that list apart from the tikka and crumpets

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It fills me with an indescribable sadness that the Sunday roast is considered one of our best meals

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I like how the shepherds and cottage pies are the same picture but flipped.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Wow can't believe we Brits invented...putting bacon on bread

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's the wrong kind of bacon even you limey fucks can't get anything right

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
did yougov really say a swear :aaa:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

It’s our one good food but it’s only sort of ours?? I dunno

Ugh gently caress everything in that list apart from the tikka and crumpets

Black pudding is good.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

as usual, most everyone saying they don't like haggis has never tried it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

crispix posted:

did yougov really say a swear :aaa:

it'd be funny but probably it's just the numbers from them

though I could be wrong

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

spankmeister posted:

It's the wrong kind of bacon even you limey fucks can't get anything right

Its Americans who are bad at bacon hth

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

twoday posted:

i want to cry b/c of these loving awful opinions. who puts bacon sandwiches and loving yorkshire puddings at the top and haggis, black pudding, steak and kidney pudding and faggots ALL on the bottom. scum that's who

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

Its Americans who are bad at bacon hth

it's not supposed to be floppy dammit

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Hotpot owns, haggis owns.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

steinrokkan posted:

Black pudding is good.

Especially in bacon sandwiches. Yum!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

i say swears online posted:

Love it when I'm trying to get a forkful of crumbly cardboard but it just disintegrates into smaller and smaller pieces every time I touch it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i say swears online posted:

What?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pretty good posted:

Love it when I'm trying to get a forkful of crumbly cardboard but it just disintegrates into smaller and smaller pieces every time I touch it

american bacon is just that jar of salad topping

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You guys have lots of good restaurants serving up paneers and masalas and saag and naan why the gently caress would you ever eat "classic british" unless you just hate yourself?

I don't need to look at the wikipedia article to know that whatever you put in a Lancashire hotpot is disgusting.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Jan 30, 2021

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Is Eaton mess made the way one might imagine it is?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

i live here and i never noticed how brown it all is until you line it up like that

as we used to say in the canteen at work “plate of beige please”

also scotch egg should be ranked much higher.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I lived in the UK I lived with a man who seriously thought that British food is held in high regard throughout the world and that the UK is famous for its cuisine. I've seen this attitude in other Brits too, and it is equally funny as it is terrifying.

Like, dutch "cuisine" is horrible too, but at least no dutch person thinks that the world at large adores dutch food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

You guys have lots of good restaurants serving up paneers and masalas and saag and naan why the gently caress would you ever eat "classic british" unless you just hate yourself?

I mean you answered your own question