Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oliwan posted:

When I lived in the UK I lived with a man who seriously thought that British food is held in high regard throughout the world and that the UK is famous for its cuisine. I've seen this attitude in other Brits too, and it is equally funny as it is terrifying.

Like, dutch "cuisine" is horrible too, but at least no dutch person thinks that the world at large adores dutch food.

i had a dutch friend stay with me years ago. he cooked dinner for me, which turned out to be a ball of unspiced hamburger mixed with shredded carrots

i think he challenged me to a duel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You see that in the USA a lot too, people from random shithole town in Indiana or wherever all think that their city is famous for food and you ask them what food and they name several barbecue places or bars with hot wings. People just really want to hold on to their local food as special even when it's not.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

except me, i'm from the best food area in the world

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've always just told people that if you want to find terrible food in the UK then you will easily succeed

If you're looking for excellent food on the other hand, you also have a pretty good chance of succeeding if you know where to look.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in '99 i did do the whole london touristy thing and getting greasy fish and chips wrapped in newspaper was pretty fun. i think i paid like $16 back then though; the exchange rate was very bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i say swears online posted:

i had a dutch friend stay with me years ago. he cooked dinner for me, which turned out to be a ball of unspiced hamburger mixed with shredded carrots

i think he challenged me to a duel

why do americans call ground beef hamburger

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ground beef? Forrin muck

Get that mince up yer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

i thought the limeys called it mincemeat??

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

mincemeat is actually fruit hth

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Mince is meat, mincemeat is fruit

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jose posted:

Because we had a poo poo ton of German immigrants

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Meat that is minced is just called mince.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mince is a misnomer because minced means chopped very finely and the meat is actually ground, so ground meat is more correct.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

shirts and skins posted:

But the Germans don’t call it that. If Germans had given you the name it’d be hack flesh.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

spankmeister posted:

Mince is a misnomer because minced means chopped very finely and the meat is actually ground, so ground meat is more correct.

thanks for well-actuallying our bland flavourless heritage, god

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But the Germans don’t call it that. If Germans had given you the name it’d be hack flesh.

Right, because German-American culture isn't about Germany anymore, it's about passive-aggressiveness and Big Special Boys from Ohio

But the real explanation that I've heard is that it comes from the dish hamburger, which may have been named after a dish served on the Hamburg-America Line consisting of ground beef between slices of bread. Since a hamburger is by far the most common way to consume ground beef here, "hamburger meat" just became "hamburger" as a shorthand.

shirts and skins has issued a correction as of 13:36 on Jan 30, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's only really the olds and born-olds who like bland food, I eat a lotta good food here with spices and poo poo.

Now what's absolutely true is you should NEVER follow a British recipe.
It's so tiring every time I cook to scroll through the 2 pages of Google results for BBC good food and Jamie Oliver where they haven't attempted to make the same dish at all.
Or guardian recipes where it's just an excuse to write fancy ingredients and nobody tasted the result.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they tried to take away bbc good food a few years ago and had to stop because people would seriously have hurt them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

shirts and skins posted:

Germans don't call it hamburger.

E:FB

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Venomous posted:

as usual, most everyone saying they don't like haggis has never tried it

It tastes like turnips. (Yes, I am aware there are no turnips in it.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

i say swears online posted:

i thought the limeys called it mincemeat??

Back in the olden days (12th century, crusades etc), mincemeat was meat and fruit, apparently they got the idea from Middle Eastern cuisine. In Victorian times, the meat bit gradually got left out until it was just fruit.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/crusades-christmas-history-mincemeat-pies-180966981/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Food history can be so weird

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Haggis is good

twoday
May 4, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Food history can be so weird

If you like weird food history stories, check out The Food Timeline

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

prefect posted:

I mean, it's served with turnips, but either way, turnips are good so I don't see the problem :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

twoday posted:

Haggis is good

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

twoday posted:

Haggis is good

I loving hate liver but yes, haggis is like a flavoursome deconstructed sausage and I approve

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Venomous posted:

I mean, it's served with turnips, but either way, turnips are good so I don't see the problem :colbert:

It wasn't intended as a criticism. It just weirded me out when I finally tried haggis. I think there are lungs in those things -- I had no earthly idea what it was going to taste like.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I miss going out and getting a Surinamese-Javanese chicken stomach sandwich. So good.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Haggis owns, skirlie owns, cullen skink owns

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

one test tube burger please

twoday
May 4, 2005

prefect posted:

It wasn't intended as a criticism. It just weirded me out when I finally tried haggis. I think there are lungs in those things -- I had no earthly idea what it was going to taste like.

This is the reason authentic Haggis is unavailable in many countries outside the UK (including the US), since lung meat is prone to certain bacteria and is forbidden for human consumption in many places

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jose posted:

Its Americans who are bad at bacon hth

We and the Canadians definitely have it right, also maple syrup.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
when i was in france i had gizzard pizza and the gizzards tasted pretty similar to haggis (no oats of course)

since then i've been pretty open minded about offal (although tripe is pretty loving poo poo, there's no way around that)

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Jan 30, 2021

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jose posted:

Real answer: Back in the day there used to be lots of vendors selling chopped / minced steak along the docks in NYC where passenger ships crossing the atlantic would arrive. Lot of this ships had their home port in Hamburg then, and so everyone called it Hamburger Steak because the ship crews and passengers would buy it frequently (being right there at the docks). Eventually every kind of ground or minced beef became just 'hamburger'.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Alternatively the idea of 'Hamburger Steak' was imported with German immigration generally but the root of it is people thought Germans just loving loved chopping up their beef.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

prefect posted:

Have you ever eaten a turnip?

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Has anyone considered moving money out of the pound? I dont know if I need to explain why I expect the pound to fall.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mrmcd posted:

Alternatively the idea of 'Hamburger Steak' was imported with German immigration generally but the root of it is people thought Germans just loving loved chopping up their beef.

I mean, looking at our cuisine, its true. We eat that poo poo raw, with onion, on bread, for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

kecske posted:

mincemeat is actually fruit hth

and it is a crime against humanity. it's gross as hell in and of itself, but there's nothing more disappointing than someone offering you a mince pie which is actually a christmas mince pie (i.e. the loving fruit mincemeat, instead of a good, wholesome pastry filled with gravy and some sort of meat product)