Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Have some avalanche science...
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/01/9-russian-adventurers-mysteriously-froze-to-death-a-new-theory-explains-why/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neptuneL38
Jul 23, 2002

get some chuckas fucka
wow this crazy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
So the radioactive yeti know how to set off carefully measured mini avalanches :thunk:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The Dyatlov rear end Incident

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

I always figured they weren't in avy terrain, guess I was wrong! I buy this theory.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

djssniper posted:

Then some one goes and free dives it, they don't have to do decompression stops but it's one helluva feat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

It must kinda suck to have to decompress for like 2 hours coming up while this dude just glides past you and does the same thing in 2 minutes with no gear at all

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

So an avalanche happened wherein the snow basically did an ollie and landed on top of them?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rick posted:

So an avalanche happened wherein the snow basically did an ollie and landed on top of them?

No, it's saying that there was a very small but very heavy avalanche (a slab avalanche) that hit the tent, killing some with force equivalent to a high speed car accident, while leaving some sleeping in the same tent entirely unhurt. The article includes some ... novel ... ideas on how that might happen, but sure whatever, I can buy that's possible.

The unhurt ones cut their way out of the tent and dug out all their friends out and for unexplained reasons, then fled in all directions, dragging the dead bodies of their friends down to the treeline to various positions where they were later found, then for unexplained reasons, the survivors did not try to return to the tent to retrieve survival supplies, and instead stayed at the treeline trying to build makeshift fires until they succumbed to the elements.

And the avalanche didn't leave any evidence of an avalanche that could be really observed by search parties who found the site 3-4 weeks later. Search parties who found a sufficiently undisturbed scene to see tracks in the snow, the remains of fires, the tent literally on the surface of the snow, branches broken off of trees where they scavenged for kindling, etc.

Like, I don't think it was radioactive yetis or anything supernatural that killed them, but the argument they're making is "we ran a computer model and it told is this is possible", which is all well and good, but it then leaves an equally thorny question of "okay, so you've shown this was possible, now where's the evidence?" for the theory.

Maybe this most recent investigation is going to reveal some unreleased evidence that backs up that particular theory, and frankly it'd be cool if it was, but for now it's the latest in a long list of "MYSTERY SOLVED" articles, not just about this thing, that are "this theory is possible, so therefore it must be what happened", which irk me like crazy.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I read an earlier article that just blamed the katabatic winds: it just got colder than they could manage, and then [plausible explanation]

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Paradoxical undressing is the obvious and likely answer to why some of them were stripped down, so that adds to the "spooky" factor, but really isn't a mystery

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ante posted:

Paradoxical undressing is the obvious and likely answer to why some of them were stripped down, so that adds to the "spooky" factor, but really isn't a mystery

Yeah, that isn't mysterious at all. And some of them were found wearing each other's gear, which also isn't all that mysterious, in that some of them likely either grabbed what they could when they ran or possibly took useful items off of the dead at a later time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like the katabatic wind hypothesis.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
And then crows or other animals. Ate the eyes and tounge.

Radioactivity can be explained by 'its was Russia and... You know, Russia things'.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah it was just an irradiated yeti

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah it was just an irradiated yeti

One of the skiers was actually a shaved irradiated yeti.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dyatlov pass - “Hot yetis. Not great, not terrible”

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Dyatlov pass - “Hot yetis. Not great, not terrible”

the temperature was only -3.6° C, so obviously they didn’t freeze to death

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
I've always loved mountain climbing movies since I was a kid (k2 was my fav) and if I was rich I would take up climbing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

the temperature was only -3.6° C, so obviously they didn’t freeze to death

I would imagine Wind Chill would be an issue, especially in the katabatic wind scenario.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Phyein posted:

I've always loved mountain climbing movies since I was a kid (k2 was my fav) and if I was rich I would take up climbing.

What's your prefered color scheme should your corpse become a famous navigational mark?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deptfordx posted:

I would imagine Wind Chill would be an issue, especially in the katabatic wind scenario.

Not great; not terrible.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

The temperature reported in the article was based on a "nearby weather station" which would not represent the temperature of katabatic wind unless it were so nearby that it was also in the same valley.

I have had the privilege of experiencing strong katabatic winds in dozens of different places, and their strength and temperature change can be astounding.

I once was at a place where a small, steep cliff-like hill, about 4 meters above the surrounding valley sat in the path of the notoriously strong katabatic winds coming off Mount Arrarat (this was in August), and from the hill, over the course of about an hour, I could watch the wind approach from across the Turkish plains, pushing up a dust storm in its wake, like an advancing wall. As the wind struck the hill I was standing on it pushed up the small cliff facing Mount Ararat. In the updraft I was able to lean so that nearly whole of my body was well over the edge -- past 45 degrees -- with my arms outstretched. I was able to ride the edge of the cliff on the wind like that for 20-30 minutes before I became too exhausted from the effort. The wind itself didn't abate for another half hour. The temperature dropped to about 24 C from about 38 C in that ~1hr time.

At the time, I was 10 km from (edit; the base of) Mount Ararat. I do not care to try to armchair the conditions of a katabatic wind inside a remote mountain valley I've never been to.

emf fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 2, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Deptfordx posted:

Not really. The mysterious part is what made them literally cut their way out of the tent they were in, not even taking time to put on their gear, and flee in a panic, not that they died of exposure after they did so.

When they were in the tent, they would have had some shelter from the wind, as the tent sealed very tight. It's commonly accepted that they reason they cut their way from the tent was that the button fasteners on the tent opening were not able to be opened quickly, so someone pulled out a knife and cut and opening. Obviously speculation, but it seems reasonable. The paradoxical undressing happened much later and a good distance from the tent. And neither that, nor their deaths from exposure after they left the tent and did not return, are mysterious.

The mystery is what caused them to flee in the first place, which is presumably related to what caused the physical trauma to the ones who didn't die of exposure, and why the ones who survived the initial event didn't go back to the tent for the gear that would literally save their lives and instead chose to try to make fires at the treeline until they succumbed to the elements.

Any solution that says "avalanche hit them" needs to reckon with the subsequent search parties being there 3-4 weeks later, seeing their tent still visible on top of the snow, finding tracks in the snow, remains of fire, broken branches, etc. but not seeing any evidence of an avalanche, which it must be stated, they were expecting to find.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 2, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
If I could ask god one question, it would be “wtf happened that night”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If it was windy af, and a few chunks of ice slammed into the tent they might have been so freaked out they just hosed off and died of exposure before they could get back.

Or a yeti did it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

*roaring weather sounds, tent pelted by ice, tired climbers are already delirious*

"oh god oh no fffffffuuuuuccckkkk help it's the yetis/commies/aliens" screams that one guy who unfortunately woke up from the middle of a nightmare

*everyone else freaks out sympathetically, dies*

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 2, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah crazy rear end winds in the middle of the night plus general panic feels like a sufficient explanation to me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah they were attacked in the night by radioactive russkies american agents

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Outrail posted:

If it was windy af, and a few chunks of ice slammed into the tent they might have been so freaked out they just hosed off and died of exposure before they could get back.

Or a yeti did it.

I think trying to place the physical damage as happening in the tent is harder than saying they got scared out of the tent by what was eventually going to cause it, then whatever it was hit them nearer to where their bodies were found, just because the tent site was so pristine.

Like, I can buy that the damage some of them took was from being bashed by a big block of snow and ice, but something big enough to do that kind of damage wouldn't disappear in a couple weeks when their tracks did not.

The obvious solution is that the they were killed by yeti, who threw blocks of ice at them, and then disposed of the murder weapons and covered their tracks with their radiation guns to melt the snow and back into the surrounding landscape.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah like everything points toward the yeti theory right now imo.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Are we sure it wasn't the Jewish Space Laser?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I knew it was the space laser! Even when I thought it was yetis I knew it was them

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you can find a properly circumsized yeti, we'll consider it.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

I think trying to place the physical damage as happening in the tent is harder than saying they got scared out of the tent by what was eventually going to cause it, then whatever it was hit them nearer to where their bodies were found, just because the tent site was so pristine.

Like, I can buy that the damage some of them took was from being bashed by a big block of snow and ice, but something big enough to do that kind of damage wouldn't disappear in a couple weeks when their tracks did not.

The obvious solution is that the they were killed by yeti, who threw blocks of ice at them, and then disposed of the murder weapons and covered their tracks with their radiation guns to melt the snow and back into the surrounding landscape.

A block of snow sliding down on the tent during a howling wind storm could plausibly cause this. A tent with 9 is going to be cramped to begin with, even a small chunk sliding on it would make it impossible to move around. Add to that you're waking up to your buddy crushed and moaning. To get anywhere you have to cut the side. Now you're out in howling wind with no shelter, your gear is stuck under a mass of snow and bodies in the dark. Can you find a flashlight? Gearing up in the morning is normally a chore that takes a fair amount of time, effort, and organization. You're not going to last long in your skivvies in a howling wind storm, so you can't just hang out while everyone finds their boots. And you have injured friends. Quick, drag them down to the trees. Maybe someone did try to go back and find gear, but at best they were cold, frazzled, and ill equipped for a gear retrieval mission.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
The actual truth is that the wind isn’t just scary, it’s really scary :ohdear:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Cryptids warp reality. I'll completely discount the existence of yetis from the comfort of my office but they are absolutely real when you're in the wilderness. It's just how things are.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I saw will o the wisp once. Terrifying

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is this funny at all?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

At least one of them got Mountain Madness, went crazy and started attacking the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Epitope posted:

A block of snow sliding down on the tent during a howling wind storm could plausibly cause this. A tent with 9 is going to be cramped to begin with, even a small chunk sliding on it would make it impossible to move around. Add to that you're waking up to your buddy crushed and moaning. To get anywhere you have to cut the side. Now you're out in howling wind with no shelter, your gear is stuck under a mass of snow and bodies in the dark. Can you find a flashlight? Gearing up in the morning is normally a chore that takes a fair amount of time, effort, and organization. You're not going to last long in your skivvies in a howling wind storm, so you can't just hang out while everyone finds their boots. And you have injured friends. Quick, drag them down to the trees. Maybe someone did try to go back and find gear, but at best they were cold, frazzled, and ill equipped for a gear retrieval mission.

The gear wasn't stuck under a mass of snow and ice. It was right on the surface where the search parties found it. You can see the remains of the tent in the pictures. It's drifted over, but even after almost a month, it's still perfectly visible. It being buried would have been a sign of an avalanche, that was what they expected, they didn't find that.

And they didn't go to the treeline in a group, they went in at least 3 separate groups down to the trees, two of which survived long enough to start building fires, taking usable gear off their dead friends, climb trees for visibility/kindling, etc. The groups did not make an effort to link up, though it's hard to know when each group died.

Only at the very end of their lives did anyone try to go back, but none of them made it. The entire time the survivors of the physical trauma were dying of exposure around makeshift fires, their tent and gear, including a stove, were just up the slope, but only at the very end of their lives did anyone even try to go back.