Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rinkles posted:

The GB was an incredible machine. But some of its music wasn't.
Usually, when someone complains about video game music I often don't know what they're talking about, but this literally sounds like someone is just hitting keys at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

My Bowsette Valentine

That's a good one.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Bowsette’s Fury does release this month

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

wuggles posted:

providing a story where you can go to a new place and take all the stuff you want and there's no consequences because there's no one there you're hurting softens the act of colonization. It looked like I was joking but ACNH also does this: infinite new deserted islands you can pillage at your leisure

it doesn't make the developers of these games bad people, it's just a thing to think about. "go to new place and take stuff" is an easily satisfying gameplay loop

also I'm not blowing out my rear end here, some real Indigenous people have written about this https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/monster-hunter-world/monster-hunter-world-cant-envision-that-maybe-hunt/

My experience with Monster Hunter begins and ends with World, but the series strikes me as a piece of media that has absolutely no desire to question the ramifications of its gameplay beyond the occasional "we must ensure the balance of nature" justification tossed here and there. I'd put it in the same boat as Pokemon, where the nuance is regulated to little aside comments played for laughs.

Lost Planet tried to roll with mature themes ("hooray we stopped the space-contractors from draining all the planet's heat-juice; too bad about the civil war that killed thousands and turned the colony into a bunch of scavenger tribes - oh, and Earth is hosed now that the spice unobtanium thermal juice pipeline has been severed), but apparently not enough people limped through Lost Planet 3 and now the series is stuffed in the same closet as Megaman and Bionic Commando.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

welcome to my TED talk: why ludonarrative dissonance is in many cases good and not a flaw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am going to try to beat 13 Sentinels tonight.

I ate two yakisoba pan with a side of yakisoba as fuel for the fight

(Oh god I left off being stuck on cat puzzle #2 lol)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Only a lil' bit of time left until Battleborn is rendered unplayable in in an official sense because you had to be connected to the servers to play the single-player.

Anyone got any last words for the game?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hate the trucker guy with the tiny head, that is all

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I can’t believe that an entire multi page conversation about games and colonialism happened and it wasn’t precipitated by Amazon Studios making a game called The New World where you literally go and colonize a new land that Amazon will take great pains to insist is not modeled after any real islands that were colonized (despite the original project title being Roanoke)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Only a lil' bit of time left until Battleborn is rendered unplayable in in an official sense because you had to be connected to the servers to play the single-player.

Anyone got any last words for the game?

It was a really fun game that got mismanaged by marketing and some of its development vision and I would play a sequel no questions asked. Unfortunately its associated with Randy Pitchford so its failure is also good and thus I can't be too meloncholy.

Laffo that Overwatch 2 is just "oh hey what if we released the singleplayer content Battleborne launched with 6 years later and charged full price again for it"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 31, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is the bonus dungeon in Tales of Vesperia worth doing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lol is this even a "puzzle" in the minimal sense the iori cat vignette was or am I missing something super obvious

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am going to try to beat 13 Sentinels tonight.

I ate two yakisoba pan with a side of yakisoba as fuel for the fight

(Oh god I left off being stuck on cat puzzle #2 lol)

Good luck, don’t forget to rank those kids! Remember CF, you may be just a schoolgirl...

DC Murderverse posted:

I can’t believe that an entire multi page conversation about games and colonialism happened and it wasn’t precipitated by Amazon Studios making a game called The New World where you literally go and colonize a new land that Amazon will take great pains to insist is not modeled after any real islands that were colonized (despite the original project title being Roanoke)

This is like a comically bad example, especially with the recent allegations of the toxic culture at Amazon Game Studios

Speaking of colonizer games I scooped up free Greedfall on PS+ before it went away

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DC Murderverse posted:

Even for a particularly grand company, this is a pretty weak example, because if Crucible is anything to go by, this game will also face a deep examination of why the development sorrounding this game was even worth it

I want to say New World will not make any headway because the rear end in a top hat of whoever is in charge of this venture forgot that MMOs as a concept are almost dead

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stev posted:

We don't talk about that man's creations anymore.

What?

e: I thought you meant joel mchale, nvm

wuggles posted:

also I'm not blowing out my rear end here, some real Indigenous people have written about this https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/monster-hunter-world/monster-hunter-world-cant-envision-that-maybe-hunt/

lmao

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 31, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

My Bowsette Valentine

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

My Bowsette Valentine

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
why did they redesign rygar for the wii version

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Disposable Scud posted:

why did they redesign rygar for the wii version
audiences thought it was not be-wiivable enough

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

wuggles posted:

providing a story where you can go to a new place and take all the stuff you want and there's no consequences because there's no one there you're hurting softens the act of colonization. It looked like I was joking but ACNH also does this: infinite new deserted islands you can pillage at your leisure

it doesn't make the developers of these games bad people, it's just a thing to think about. "go to new place and take stuff" is an easily satisfying gameplay loop

I would argue that this article is correct in some ways, but falls down in it's conclusion. It is incorrect to attempt to impose real world morality on a fantasy universe, for all the reasons that Stux has already elaborated on. It is not moral cowardice to write a world of fiction where things work different than ours. You cannot demand that every piece of art adhere to our real world moral standards, especially as those pieces of art differ more and more from reality itself. What is valid about the article is to take a fantasy setting like Monster Hunter and leverage the fiction in order to discuss the ways we in the real world are failing and have historically failed, and I think the article mainly succeeds in this.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If I write an article called "The Zelda family wield unfair power over the people of Hyrule, and I demand they abdicate the throne" it should drat well be a joke piece, because no matter how realistic the newer LoZ games try to be they are effectively set in a fairy tale reality. Call of Duty is not.

In conclusion, give Zelda a gun, Nintendo, you cowards!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Redditors bought a billboard

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Goddamnit, we're all hosed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

My experience with Monster Hunter begins and ends with World, but the series strikes me as a piece of media that has absolutely no desire to question the ramifications of its gameplay beyond the occasional "we must ensure the balance of nature" justification tossed here and there. I'd put it in the same boat as Pokemon, where the nuance is regulated to little aside comments played for laughs.

Lost Planet tried to roll with mature themes ("hooray we stopped the space-contractors from draining all the planet's heat-juice; too bad about the civil war that killed thousands and turned the colony into a bunch of scavenger tribes - oh, and Earth is hosed now that the spice unobtanium thermal juice pipeline has been severed), but apparently not enough people limped through Lost Planet 3 and now the series is stuffed in the same closet as Megaman and Bionic Commando.
that really only applies to world, all the games are extremely interested in ecology but that's the only where where the story gets a little sketchy as to why you're actually hunting them. most monhans are about hunters that either wander in or are dispatched to villages where the monsters are getting rowdy, and hunting first and foremost to protect the villagers, and then discovering that the monsters are pissed off because an elder dragon has moved in and is doing something hosed up ecologically. in 3 its a couple of monsters causing tsunamis and earthquakes that are loving up this fishing village, in 4 its gore magala spreading a disease that makes monsters go insane to death (and then in G rank preparing dundorma's defenses for a monster siege for reasons I can't remember)

theres also the subtext that gets alluded to now and then but only really laid out in non-canon art books, that an advanced civilization created the monsters in the first place as biological weapons that turned around and decimated mankind and destroyed the ecosystem. which is why so many elder dragon fights take place in ancient ruins that dont really fit with the aesthetic of anything else in monhan, and sometimes have weird modern details

lost planet 3, we are better off pretending it does not exist

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

No no, the Feb title has to be catchy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fargin Icehole posted:

No, anyone who buys Gamestop or any other heavily memed stock after this point (or really in the past few days) is hosed. No one else is hosed

Generally if you take reddit's advice on anything you will be hosed on some level so don't do it with thousands of dollars

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

Redditors bought a billboard

lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

welcome to my TED talk: why ludonarrative dissonance is in many cases good and not a flaw

Is that the thing where what's going on in gameplay doesn't match with what's going on in the story, because if so can we at least all agree that it is dumb when a game only gives you 1 form of input and then tries to take the moral and philosophical high ground and insults you over taking that one input

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that the thing where what's going on in gameplay doesn't match with what's going on in the story, because if so can we at least all agree that it is dumb when a game only gives you 1 form of input and then tries to take the moral and philosophical high ground and insults you over taking that one input

Shouldn't have pressed that input then

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If a game forces you to do bad things then you can always just not play the game

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Didn’t the hedgefund’s deadline pass? Why isn’t this over

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The stock is still shorted out the wazoo, hedge managers think they can play chicken with reddit and aren't used to consequences.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

If a game forces you to do bad things then you can always just not play the game

Its like the entire games industry watched the film Funny Games for the first time last week, every week

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The stock is still shorted out the wazoo, hedge managers think they can play chicken with reddit and aren't used to consequences.

Might be wrong, but I don't think the subreddit actually has much power

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lol why is yakitori embarrassing to walk around with

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they should make a yakuza game that teaches me about how to do the stocks makert

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
someone finally understands why i'm here

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

someone finally understands why i'm here

I'm confused is this for a gacha game where you collect girls or is this for girls into gacha games?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rinkles posted:

Might be wrong, but I don't think the subreddit actually has much power

I dunno, I think loving hedge funds legally by mobbing random short stocks is a pretty powerful idea

i hope it continues to be a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing hitman 1 and 2 inside hitman 2, which I got discounted off steam recently. It's worth knowing in advance that each game only has a small amount of levels, so you'll be doing a lot of replaying, learning the maps, unlocking new weapons, outfits and starting locations. They're really fun and make me not think about anything else at all for a good 2-3 hours at a time.

Also, about monster hunter crossovers, I'd never heard of monster hunter until I played MGS: Peace Walker (one of the best mgs's!)