Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ahobday posted:

I've been watching That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime and I enjoy it a lot. One of the things I enjoy is that there's a relatively serious setting, but the main character is absurdly powerful and this means it's mostly a comedy show because there's not a lot of tension/danger.

Any other recommendations for comedy anime that's got a story-based setting like this? As opposed to comedies that are slice of life or more surreal. Bonus points for something where there's not a lot of tension.

I've tried/am familiar with Konosuba, Gintama, The Devil is a Part Timer.

It's been a while since I watched the anime and I never looked at the manga, but beelzebub seems like it might be a decent fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been following MAL recommendations and went through Sakura Quest, ReLIFE and Net-juu no Susume over the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed them all and want to check out similar shows with main characters that are working and/or adults, preferably if they're awkward, adorable and hilarious; Moriko Morioka constantly had me busting a gut from how much of a relatable mess she is. If there are important scenes that take place in a convenience store I will probably check it out, especially if it's a bootleg Lawson.

I've watched Wotakoi, Amaama to Inazuma, Hanasaku Iroha and After the Rain last year, which is what got me into the "genre".

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Servant x Service and Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san are good.
E: and Denki-gai for another book shop. Cool-headed Hoozuki is about working, but in hell.

sinky fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 27, 2021

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've been following MAL recommendations and went through Sakura Quest, ReLIFE and Net-juu no Susume over the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed them all and want to check out similar shows with main characters that are working and/or adults, preferably if they're awkward, adorable and hilarious; Moriko Morioka constantly had me busting a gut from how much of a relatable mess she is. If there are important scenes that take place in a convenience store I will probably check it out, especially if it's a bootleg Lawson.

I've watched Wotakoi, Amaama to Inazuma, Hanasaku Iroha and After the Rain last year, which is what got me into the "genre".

Shirobako, which is probably the best of the sort-of series that also includes Hanasaku Iroha and Sakura Quest.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Coxswain Balls posted:

I enjoyed them all and want to check out similar shows with main characters that are working and/or adults, preferably if they're awkward, adorable and hilarious

Shirobako for sure; It's about working adults in the anime industry with lots of great comedy, work drama, and people pursuing their dreams. Same studio as Sakura Quest and Hanasaku Iroha (PA Works).

Possibly The Devil Is a Part-Timer!? Lucifer gets sent to modern Japan and works at McDonald's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ufarn posted:

The most obvious one is Overlord, but it's kinda the eyerolling version of Slime (beyond the boob stuff in Slime).

One with more even power levels is Log Horizon which I found to be too boring to continue. It's not very heavy on comedy, though.

I'd disagree on Overlord if they're looking for pure comedy. It's a good show and has comedic moments, but it really likes to make a blunt reminder once or twice a season you're rooting for an evil Guild and sorceror to succeed.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've been following MAL recommendations and went through Sakura Quest, ReLIFE and Net-juu no Susume over the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed them all and want to check out similar shows with main characters that are working and/or adults, preferably if they're awkward, adorable and hilarious

Maybe check out Planetes? It's sci-fi, but pretty grounded in that the main characters are just going through the motions of their everyday jobs (as garbage collectors).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I probably should have mentioned that I saw Shirobako a couple years ago which I liked, and I can't wait for the movie to get localized. I enjoyed Hanasaku Iroha the most out of the three, although that's probably because I like rural Japan as a setting, the art style, and the Mari Okada factor. I'll take a look at some of the other recommendations though, thanks.

Nipponophile posted:

Maybe check out Planetes? It's sci-fi, but pretty grounded in that the main characters are just going through the motions of their everyday jobs (as garbage collectors).

I've actually had that queued up ever since I picked up a sound system since it has a 5.1 mix, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Coxswain Balls posted:

I probably should have mentioned that I saw Shirobako a couple years ago which I liked, and I can't wait for the movie to get localized. I enjoyed Hanasaku Iroha the most out of the three, although that's probably because I like rural Japan as a setting, the art style, and the Mari Okada factor. I'll take a look at some of the other recommendations though, thanks.

I've actually had that queued up ever since I picked up a sound system since it has a 5.1 mix, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Ah definitely go watch it. That's one of my shortlist favorite animes. Barring 1 weird episode.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's New Game which is a cute office comedy at a gamedev company

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That Works posted:

Ah definitely go watch it. That's one of my shortlist favorite animes. Barring 1 weird episode.

I was struggling to figure out which shirobako ep you meant then realized you were talking about Iroha and knew immediately, haha.

It a really lovely series.

The iroha movie is really nice too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

I was struggling to figure out which shirobako ep you meant then realized you were talking about Iroha and knew immediately, haha.

Is it the episode with the romance novel writer?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Coxswain Balls posted:

Give Turning Girls a try, it's a bunch of barely-animated shorts about a group of girls in their 20s. It's pretty funny.

Also, if you're into cringe comedy and are willing to lift the "working" restriction, Watamote is great and may also be extremely painful if you see even a little bit of your younger self in the MC. the manga has progressed far past the anime to the point where they are all prepping to go to college and begin careers, while still largely maintaining the hilarious awkwardness of the cast. It's also got one of my favorite character growth progressions of a main character with tomoko, going from awful 4chan denizen with bottomed out self confidence who cheats at yugioh against literal children, to a somewhat normal person over the course of the series.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DamnGlitch posted:

Ohh that quoted weird, I was talking about Planetes!

:embarrassed:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Servant x Service is so good. Lucy's ahoge is my favorite character.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Paracelsus posted:

Cowboy Bebop is a classic that's just about mandatory.

Captain Invictus posted:

Cowboy Bebop is, well, it's that series everyone recommends to every newbie anime watcher. Hard to go wrong with, looks great, has great characters, has great english voice acting, the stories are MOSTLY great, it's a bona-fide classic.

Following up to say thanks for the recommendation; I just completed Cowboy Bebop. Takeaways:

- If I saw this 20 years ago when it was released, I would think that it was the coolest thing EVER.
- Seeing it now, it makes me nostalgic for the '90s-era Tarantino-type "cool." Some things still really work; I would guess that the opening is one of the best anime openings ever, and just generally the jazz-noir-scifi-western mashup concept is fun. Lot of overlap with Firefly, which is another I-like-it-but-not-as-much-as-everyone-else-seems-to show for me.
- This show does look and sound great, especially for its time. This is one of those shows that feels like a lived-in universe, which always has a special quality to it.
- My favorite episode was Hard Luck Woman; that was just devastating.
- Character rankings: Jet > Ein >>> Ed = Faye >>>>>> Spike (the impossibly talented and badass slacker isn't my favorite character archetype; he's also periodically an rear end in a top hat in a way that feels more mean-spirited than when the other characters are selfish or careless, and I just could not care about the whole Julia/Vicious thing)
- I totally understand why people would love this show. I liked it but didn't love it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like samurai champloo more

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I dunno who needs to hear this but you should Watch Symphogear

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
what are some cute anime movies to watch with my girlfriend. she likes Your Name and Nausica of the Valley of the Wind. We've already watched Weathering with You and Summer Wars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scrree posted:

what are some cute anime movies to watch with my girlfriend. she likes Your Name and Nausica of the Valley of the Wind. We've already watched Weathering with You and Summer Wars
other ghibli would be an obvious place to start. porco rosso is my fave but there's spirited away, princess mononoke, kiki's delivery service, etc. there's also uh, wolf children, by the same director as summer wars. im assuming by your name/weathering with you a bit of drama is fine, but you don't want it to be like, a downer or anything?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Scrree posted:

Tokyo Godfathers

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ahobday posted:

I've been watching That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime and I enjoy it a lot. One of the things I enjoy is that there's a relatively serious setting, but the main character is absurdly powerful and this means it's mostly a comedy show because there's not a lot of tension/danger.

Any other recommendations for comedy anime that's got a story-based setting like this? As opposed to comedies that are slice of life or more surreal. Bonus points for something where there's not a lot of tension.

I've tried/am familiar with Konosuba, Gintama, The Devil is a Part Timer.

It's old, but Slayers might work. We're also getting an adaptation of one of the main Slime spinoffs which does more world-building so look forward to that as well.

AlternateNu posted:

Tokyo Godfathers

Second this. Also one of the best drat Christmas movies ever made. Letter to Momo was also very wholesome and good so rec it gets. Mary and the Witches Flower was also made by a bunch of Studio Ghibli alumni so that's another good one.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Are there any anime with the tone of 90s thrillers/dad movies?

Riffs on "The Fugitive", "Double Jeopardy", "Enemy of the State", etc.? Talented, serious, competent folks, pushed to the edge and on the run, getting revenge. Hell, I'd take a legal thriller too. Stuff like "The Firm", "Pelican Brief", and so on.

Just want to luxuriate in that vibe for a while, a whiskey by my side. If there's a government conspiracy that keeps the main character down too, all the better.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Riffs on "The Fugitive", "Double Jeopardy", "Enemy of the State", etc.? Talented, serious, competent folks, pushed to the edge and on the run, getting revenge. Hell, I'd take a legal thriller too. Stuff like "The Firm", "Pelican Brief", and so on.

Just want to luxuriate in that vibe for a while, a whiskey by my side. If there's a government conspiracy that keeps the main character down too, all the better.

Monster is heavily inspired by the Fugitive

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Someone correct me, but wouldn't Eden of the East also work as well? And yeahI second Monster and would add 20th Century Boys.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Monster is the objectively correct answer to that question.

I was also going to recommend Eden of the East. Psycho-Pass could fit as well, at least the first season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Captain Invictus posted:

Give Turning Girls a try, it's a bunch of barely-animated shorts about a group of girls in their 20s. It's pretty funny.

Also, if you're into cringe comedy and are willing to lift the "working" restriction, Watamote is great and may also be extremely painful if you see even a little bit of your younger self in the MC. the manga has progressed far past the anime to the point where they are all prepping to go to college and begin careers, while still largely maintaining the hilarious awkwardness of the cast. It's also got one of my favorite character growth progressions of a main character with tomoko, going from awful 4chan denizen with bottomed out self confidence who cheats at yugioh against literal children, to a somewhat normal person over the course of the series.

On that note I'm surprised that no frog-girl VTuber has really broken out. Considering that MHA has demonstrated there is a market for frog girls.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Phobophilia posted:

On that note I'm surprised that no frog-girl VTuber has really broken out. Considering that MHA has demonstrated there is a market for frog girls.

You can be the frog girl vtuber

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Tales of Woe posted:

i'll rep for all of these, they would all make my shortlist of best anime.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Madoka is one of my favorite anime of all time. Similar to Evangelion it's a darker, more depressing take on its genre.

Thanks for the recommendation! Just binged Madoka Magica (boy howdy it went quick compared to My Hero Academia and Cowboy Bebop) over the past 48 hours and enjoyed it a ton. I see there's a separate thread for this genre, so I'll post my takeaways there.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Looking for: cute/funny minute-long-ish shorts like KAPIBARASAN? Is there a term for this sort of thing, I feel like it's a take on those "liner note" style short bits in manga?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roctavian posted:

Looking for: cute/funny minute-long-ish shorts like KAPIBARASAN? Is there a term for this sort of thing, I feel like it's a take on those "liner note" style short bits in manga?

Wakakozake, Teekyu, and season 1 of Encouragement of Climb (Yama no Susume) are the main ones that come to mind.

Yama Shibai too, though that's more horror than lighthearted or comedy.

E: I forgot about Puchim@s, an idolm@ster spinoff, as well.

Julias fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 2, 2021

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Roctavian posted:

Ai Mai Mi, though its sense of humor is a bit bizarre/out there sometimes

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Roctavian posted:

Seconding Wakako-zake.

Also recommend Inferno Cop. Though, that is more monkey-cheese random comedy that anything "cute".

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So are Macross and Robotech the same show, just one of them reedited for the US? Which one should I watch?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Narzack posted:

So are Macross and Robotech the same show, just one of them reedited for the US? Which one should I watch?

Robotech is actually an amalgam of three anime: Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA. And it is basically it's own show. If you're interested, you could watch both.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Would it be better to watch one before the other?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just watch macross and if you want to watch the other shows in robotech watch them on their own, no reason to watch the butchered american version

robotech is only its own show as far as the first 1/3 is barely edited macross with a bad dub and the rest is badly editing unrelated shows to stick them all together so you get insane cuts like the end of macross randomly referring to THE ROBOTECH MASTERS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

never watch robotech

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

THE WOOMMEEENNNNNN OF ROBOTECH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqfdpIkXKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Afuckingmazing.