Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Slimy Hog posted:

:hmmyes:

Dave Dombrowki good.

He is. Please come back to Detroit, Dave :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

abelwingnut posted:

am i crazy thinking arenado is overvalued? yes, you make this deal if you're stl--no question. and it makes them the favorite in the central this season. but dude's been having some shoulder issues and isn't young. furthermore, aren't his away stats pretty average?

again, he's great, and that deal is absurd. but i don't see him being this crazy force for years to come. too much mileage, and i'm not sure his road stats support him being a superstar in a new park.

Yes you are crazy. His fWARs since 2015 have been 4.5, 5.0, 5.7. 5.8, 6.0, .9 (pandemic year). You can't ask for more than that. And as for his away splits, I would have figured DJLM would have already shown how unreliable an assessment method that is. Not only do Rockies players have to adjust to and from thin air, their away splits are also naturally repressed compared to other NL players, why? Cause they don't get to play away games at Coors lol.

So yeah. Injury concern yeah. But Arenado is absolutely top tier third basemen. He is tied with Rendon in fWAR since 2015. (Tied for third among third basemen in that time frame.)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I went to Denver, I briefly had a moment of panic because the air make me think I couldn't breathe and I was just sitting on the train from the airport to the city. I imagine I was partially overreacting and Colorado players would be far more used to it but it absolutely has to impact up their performances.

Are there any articles on how visiting teams do when going in and out of Coors?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Shouldn't have drank the Arenado-to-LA wishful thinking Kool-Aid

Seems like JT re-signing is a near inevitability but I"ll begin the Edwin Rios, Starting Third Baseman rationalization process (which honestly does have some intrigue) just in case

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Vernacular posted:

Shouldn't have drank the Arenado-to-LA wishful thinking Kool-Aid

Seems like JT re-signing is a near inevitability but I"ll begin the Edwin Rios, Starting Third Baseman rationalization process (which honestly does have some intrigue) just in case

don't worry you'll have kris bryant there by the trade deadline for the dodgers' 9th and 17th best prospects and some cash.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

Yes you are crazy. His fWARs since 2015 have been 4.5, 5.0, 5.7. 5.8, 6.0, .9 (pandemic year). You can't ask for more than that. And as for his away splits, I would have figured DJLM would have already shown how unreliable an assessment method that is. Not only do Rockies players have to adjust to and from thin air, their away splits are also naturally repressed compared to other NL players, why? Cause they don't get to play away games at Coors lol.

So yeah. Injury concern yeah. But Arenado is absolutely top tier third basemen. He is tied with Rendon in fWAR since 2015. (Tied for third among third basemen in that time frame.)

...ok? yes, he put up great numbers in a park basically made for him. a guy that loves to pull a la tulo. new busch isn't bad for that, but it is nowhere near as helpful for that righty pull approach. not at all.

furthermore, you cannot use lemahieu as any sort of corroboration. he moved to a park EVEN MORE hitter friendly, and especially more friendly to lemahieu's opposite way approach, than coors. like...he is the ideal right-handed batter for new yankee stadium.

and still, i think the persistent shoulder injury is of the utmost concern. no hitter ever does well with that. ever.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So with the amended terms what is the assumption about how long Arenado will remain in St. Louis?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

don't worry you'll have kris bryant there by the trade deadline for the dodgers' 9th and 17th best prospects and some cash.

Cubs will be sending the cash to LA.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

abelwingnut posted:

...ok? yes, he put up great numbers in a park basically made for him. a guy that loves to pull a la tulo. new busch isn't bad for that, but it is nowhere near as helpful for that righty pull approach. not at all.

furthermore, you cannot use lemahieu as any sort of corroboration. he moved to a park EVEN MORE hitter friendly, and especially more friendly to lemahieu's opposite way approach, than coors. like...he is the ideal right-handed batter for new yankee stadium.

and still, i think the persistent shoulder injury is of the utmost concern. no hitter ever does well with that. ever.

His career OPS at Busch is .848. That's pretty good! That with good defense is pretty excellent! Like yeah. The injury is the biggest source of concern. I'm with you there. But Arenado is definitely a top tier third baseman. That's all I'm saying.

Edit: yes I know the sample size there is small but :shrug:.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 31, 2021

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So with the amended terms what is the assumption about how long Arenado will remain in St. Louis?

7 years for like $165m-ish for the Cards I think? I don't imagine he opts out of 35m a year after a pandemic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

Cubs will be sending the cash to LA.

Ricketts will get all the Old Chicago franchises in Wyoming as well.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
N: the Mets signed Aaron Loup for $3M

V: sure I guess

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Indians reportedly went over their budget to sign Eddie Rosario. Their payroll is still south of $50 million

A Major League Baseball team valued at 1.4 billion in the year 2021 has a budgeted payroll of less than $50 million. That was considered low end over a decade ago. I am terrified for the future of my franchise.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

players have discussed in the past that it takes them time to adjust to playing at sea level and then playing at elevation. There are physical consequences and then in terms of actually playing. Ball doesn't break as sharply in Coors, and by the time players get used to either sea level or elevation, it's back on the road or back home.

the more I see it the less likely it is that there will ever be a good team in Colorado. doesn't help that their decision making team has poo poo for brains

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Julio Cruz posted:

N: the Mets signed Aaron Loup for $3M

V: sure I guess

That fills their 40-man roster, which means they're probably not getting Bauer. Which, on the one hand another good pitcher is always useful. On the other, he's a jerkface.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So like where are the realistic landing spots for Bauer now? We're like 10 days from pitchers and catchers reporting.

The Padres already spent a bunch of money and went out and traded for several guys so I doubt it's them. It seems like the Yankees are probably done shopping. Maybe the Blue Jays?

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

FlamingLiberal posted:

So like where are the realistic landing spots for Bauer now? We're like 10 days from pitchers and catchers reporting.

The Padres already spent a bunch of money and went out and traded for several guys so I doubt it's them. It seems like the Yankees are probably done shopping. Maybe the Blue Jays?

Last thing I saw had the Mets and Dodgers interested in shorter deals(3-4 years) below Coles yearly average value. Otherwise it’s been pretty quiet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The vast majority of the contracts, outside of the top tier FAs, have been 1-2 year deals. Which makes sense in a CBA year.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Supposedly Angels aren’t interested in Bauer but I find that difficult to believe. Loathsome as he is he’s a very good fit given their rotation needs.

Mets could conceivably sign him but I have a gut feeling they won’t. That’s all it is though, gut feel.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Seems ominous that this is the top story on espn.com:
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1355869280974368771

I don't have insider, but someone screencapped the proposed revised schedule:
https://twitter.com/ThatBootlegGuy/status/1355900042314301442

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 31, 2021

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
What in the ever living gently caress is the point of that :psyduck:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

More time for vaccine spread ideally to try and get players/staff protected but probably with the intent of selling tickets in 2021?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Get expanded playoffs, make it a normal everyday thing. Trade away peanuts (Owners want the DH too) for more guaranteed TV money with the real added bonus of the chance to get into the postseason with a .500 record for eternity. If owners get that, then all that's left is to collectively efficiency themselves into flat lining payroll growth. Any additional dollars they make this year is just a cherry.

Basically make this offseason the model going forward. Top guys will get paid, albeit slightly less than we're used to, and everyone else gets algorithm designated scraps.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Basically none of the things MLB did last year was super offensive to me OTHER than the loving expanded playoffs which is a loving abomination and I guess is never going away now. Ugh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TBH I think that expanded playoffs encourages teams to refrain from blowing their teams up to some degree

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The extra innings stuff was loving stupid, I didn’t really mind the other rule change stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The extra innings stuff was loving stupid, I didn’t really mind the other rule change stuff.
That's pretty much where I'm at. The extra innings rules are super arbitrary and dumb.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/1355949230897041411
https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/1355961868951678976
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1355958074448740356
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1355970098830467075

Storm's brewing!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean that's a better proposal than what MLB was trying to poo poo out last year at least

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there is no way the league will play even as many as 154 games imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Long extra inning games were bad too. I hated the runner on second way less than I thought I would.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Expanded playoffs is a complete joke.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The way free agency has gone this offseason would seem to support their belief

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm trying to figure out why fewer regular season + expanded playoff games is a no-go, I'm assuming because even though the # of games is similar the profit potential isn't, and there is no way the owners will share an equitable amount?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I think it's that teams won't be incentivized to spend more money because it's easier to make the playoffs, which is free money for them.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

mcmagic posted:

Long extra inning games were bad too. I hated the runner on second way less than I thought I would.

I hate the runner on second poo poo. Just end games in a tie. Its ok the world wont end.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, more teams in the playoffs equals less of an incentive to try and compete if you can just sneak in and get the free money

given the way teams have looked lately 75-80 wins can get the 7th seed and that is disgusting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

I hate the runner on second poo poo. Just end games in a tie. Its ok the world wont end.

I'm fine with ties but the runner on 2nd has felt way better than say, the shootout in Hockey which is an utter abomination.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I'm fine with ties but the runner on 2nd has felt way better than say, the shootout in Hockey which is an utter abomination.

I don't hockey, but what the hell? Is that real? Isn't that like deciding an MLB game with a Home Run Derby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love the shootout and would absolutely love a HRD to settle a tie over runners on second