Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

HootTheOwl posted:

NFC North: The Team of Goff is Empty
perfect in every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Slowpoke! posted:

Sportrac says Lions can cut Goff after the 2022 season with $0 cap hit, so maybe he is the perfect fit for a rebuild. Young and talented enough to potentially turn it around, but easy enough to eject if he doesn’t. His cap hit of $25.5M in 2022 probably means Detroit doesn’t go QB with their first pick this year, right?

That's probably it. You get a try out year and if he keeps stinking, cut him and draft someone. I hope it won't be 20 years between now and a decent qb like it was for Stafford

You know what, it's extremely stupid to think they'll do the right thing. They'll probably give goff an extension after a fluke comeback season and continue to be awful forever

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 1, 2021

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I predict Goff will at least tie Stafford in division titles and playoff wins in Detroit.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Styles Bitchley posted:

I predict Goff will at least tie Stafford in division titles and playoff wins in Detroit.

Bold :hmmyes:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's probably it. You get a try out year and if he keeps stinking, cut him and draft someone. I hope it won't be 20 years between now and a decent qb like it was for Stafford

You know what, it's extremely stupid to think they'll do the right thing. They'll probably give goff an extension after a fluke comeback season and continue to be awful forever

the good news is that if the new GM and coach are incompetent we will know right away, and the outcome of this trade is otherwise irrelevant if that's the case

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

rabidsquid posted:

the good news is that if the new GM and coach are incompetent we will know right away, and the outcome of this trade is otherwise irrelevant if that's the case

I don't know if there's much value in this information, as a fan.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
with goff in town in detroit now kirk cousins is the #1 QB in the division

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Finally a division quarterback who can lead his team to the Superbowl.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

BGrifter posted:

Stafford owns.

He always has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvIwyikbRU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Huh...

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1356043609540231172?s=21

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Good.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

wanting to run it back with Rodgers aside, i would assume the packers had 0 interest in taking on Goff

their idea was to smoothly transition from Rodgers to Love, as with Favre to Rodgers, taking Goff would mean going into full rebuild mode while you wait out his albatross contract

For the Lions, I feel like trading for Goff actually gives the new regime a sense of security. Drafting a young QB who turns out to be a bust would make them look bad, whereas having Goff as your starter (with the understanding that he can't be gotten rid of for the first couple years) ensures that fan and owner expectations remain reasonable while they compile picks and young players. Goff's contract is like a shield that enforces patience.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 1, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

PupsOfWar posted:

wanting to run it back with Rodgers aside, i would assume the packers had 0 interest in taking on Goff

their idea was to smoothly transition from Rodgers to Love, as with Favre to Rodgers, taking Goff would mean going into full rebuild mode while you wait out his albatross contract

For the Lions, I feel like trading for Goff actually gives the new regime a sense of security. Drafting a young QB who turns out to be a bust would make them look bad, whereas having Goff as your starter (with the understanding that he can't be gotten rid of for the first couple years) ensures that fan and owner expectations remain reasonable while they compile picks and young players. Goff's contract is like a shield that enforces patience.

I think that may have been important to ownership and the old hands on the team. The Lions went basically a generation without even a mediocre qb before stafford.

You guys know more about football than me, what do you think of Robert Mays' proposition that the Lions convert Goff's salary to bonuses and trade him this year, to get some a$$ets?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Don't know who is in the market for Goff. I like the current plan really. QB sticking around for a couple years that isn't Harrington bad or anything, try to draft well (shut up), work on unfucking the defense and developing their younger pieces on offense, and snatch a good QB in the next two years when you're drafting top 5 or whatever because lmao this team is going to be absolutely terrible next year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1356074391847792640

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

This is Joe "Naked at a Wendy's Drive-Thru" Barry right?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the watson sweepstakes reminds me of cousin's free agent year

everyone knew cousins wasn't that good, the rationale was just "yeah he's not incredible, but, since teams hang onto QBs with crocodile intensity, he's the best free agent QB in a long time who isn't some elderly legend on one final ring-chasing tour"

if people frenzied for cousins that much knowing his limitations, imagine how badly front offices are driving themselves crazy over a QB who is actually good, rather than just "good for a free agent"

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Think of all the draft capital they'd have to support Love.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SirPablo posted:

Think of all the draft capital they'd have to support Love.

since thread canon is that rodgers is washed, presumably like a 2nd and two 3rds

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This has potentially hilarious ramifications a year from now.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rodgers is going to make a deal about how these things happen. It's a business. That's to be expected. And deep down he's butthurt to hell and back. Again.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

MJeff posted:

This has potentially hilarious ramifications a year from now.

The 2021 Detroit Lions: Hilarious RAMifications

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

While it's an extremely remote chance, I'm absolutely thrilled that THERE IS A POSSIBILITY that the Lions defense could be better next year, to further poo poo all over Patricia.

It would be amazing to see the Lions D, with Quinn's and Patricia's handpicked junk, become aggressively mediocre next year instead of pure poo poo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Matt LaFleur was asked if he would hand over play calling as a result of the last game and
A.) Totally owned up to the fact that he hosed up, badly, at the worst possible time. Like he actually said "I made a mistake at the worst conceivable time."
B.) Said that he will continue to own it regardless of who's calling plays.
C.) Will turn over play calling if that's what's best for the team, and do so immediately if that's what's needed.

Alright, first off, I personally don't want him to. I think he's a young coach with great ideas who hosed up. I think he's got SO much in front of him, and I still absolutely want to see what he's got in the tank. That said, god drat I love how open and honest he appears to be, AND his willingness to flex this team to do what's best.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm imagining what McCarthy would've said in the same situation and having a quiet chuckle to myself on this way-too-sunny Monday morning.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm imagining what McCarthy would've said in the same situation and having a quiet chuckle to myself on this way-too-sunny Monday morning.

I think it's because the sun is reflecting off of the snow.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

" Of course we talked about it. Hell yea. I wouldn't want a quarterback that wouldn't want another crack at it. That's the competitor that you love in him, y'know?"
--Matt LaFleur on talking to Aaron Rodgers after the Field Goal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Apparently the lions wanted Golff. I mean it isn’t a bad thing if he sucks you cut him in two years just in time for a new young QB but that makes his wanted quite less funny

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hand placement and fundamentals

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Lakedaimon posted:

This is Joe "Naked at a Wendy's Drive-Thru" Barry right?

That was Joe Cullen

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HootTheOwl posted:

NFC North: The Team of Goff is Empty

I need someone to explain this one to me :ohdear:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Yates posted:

That was Joe Cullen

Hah I wiki'd him. (Barry) He's the Son-in-law to Rod Marinelli. Rob Parker got into heat for asking Rod a question about his nepotism. I remember that incident and I loved that he asked that, but he got chased out of town.

Rob Parker posted:

At a press conference on December 21, 2008, following the Lions' 42–7 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Detroit News sports columnist Rob Parker addressed a question about Barry to Rod Marinelli, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."(Barry was the Lions' defensive coordinator at the time.) The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

"The question was criticized as too funny."

Regarding Goff, I mean what do you want them to say? "Well we had to take him as part of the deal but we know he sucks a mountain of poo poo, enjoy Detroit for the next two years until we dump you."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I need someone to explain this one to me :ohdear:

It's probably a Neon Genesis Evangelion reference. The original quote would be "The Chamber of Guf is empty." The Chamber of Guf is where souls wait before they are born in some forms of Jewish Mysticism, so if it is empty that is real bad.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I can't believe the Lions got two 1sts and a third to downgrade from the 2nd best QB in the NFC North to...

the 2nd best QB in the NFC North.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Parallelwoody posted:

"The question was criticized as too funny."

Regarding Goff, I mean what do you want them to say? "Well we had to take him as part of the deal but we know he sucks a mountain of poo poo, enjoy Detroit for the next two years until we dump you."

I mean all reports are saying that people wanted Goff, he wasn’t a a salary dump.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
49ers want Kirk maybe? I also thought I saw something about the Bears trying to get him but I think that was bullshit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pops Mgee posted:

49ers want Kirk maybe? I also thought I saw something about the Bears trying to get him but I think that was bullshit.

Dear god why?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

BGrifter posted:

Dear god why?

The nfl wants Green Bay’s next nfc championship loss to be as funny as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

BGrifter posted:

Dear god why?

Kyle Shanahan likes Cousins from his time in Washington.

Do it. Trade Kirk and then use those picks to grab Deshaun.

Then hire Bienamy to be OC with the understanding he will be the HC when Zimmer has a heart attack from another year of the defense giving up a million points.