Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mycot posted:

Yeah. I don't think it's anything more complicated than "all the world's problems would be solved if all the money went to white science bros" mindset aging very very poorly.

Has Bob ever stumped for Musk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dawgstar posted:

Has Bob ever stumped for Musk?

Nah seems like he's got the right idea there

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1116508774259466240?s=20

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
José has a new video out. This one is on the Daily Wire's (yes, the right wing newspaper) first movie, "Run, Hide, Fight".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWCoesjDqG8

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This was good and now im watching his video on the Cats movie. He actually gave a better description of what the gently caress is actually happening in the original stage show, and why the movie fails super hard.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Hell yeah. I have been trying to watch good critics on clearly bad movies. I fell out of watching movie reviews awhile ago when Brad Jones turned out to be a dickhead and chuds defecated in the Youtube algorithm.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BigRed0427 posted:

This was good and now im watching his video on the Cats movie. He actually gave a better description of what the gently caress is actually happening in the original stage show, and why the movie fails super hard.

He needs to title his videos better. My SO saw it in my subscriptions and went "who the hell would watch an hour long video about how bad the music in Cats is?" After I watched it and told her it was more about the structure of musicals, she said "I would have watched it if he'd just called it that!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maggie Mae Fish has a new project. It’s still media criticism but with a looser style and a weird frame narrative that I assume will resolve into something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydFN6SvjJUI

I like the MST3K/cable access aesthetic. The synth score and undercurrent of menace reminds me of budget 70s sci-fi like Children of the Stones or something.

I really like the idea of not having to be responsible to the historical context or reception of something beyond whatever seems interesting.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Maggie Mae Fish has a new project. It’s still media criticism but with a looser style and a weird frame narrative that I assume will resolve into something:

I like the MST3K/cable access aesthetic. The synth score and undercurrent of menace reminds me of budget 70s sci-fi like Children of the Stones or something.

I really like the idea of not having to be responsible to the historical context or reception of something beyond whatever seems interesting.

Ok, their doing to much world building and taking way to long to get to the point of the video. And I say that as someone who use to watch a lot of Contrapoints and Philosophy tube skits and loved them.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 1, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Hell yeah. I have been trying to watch good critics on clearly bad movies. I fell out of watching movie reviews awhile ago when Brad Jones turned out to be a dickhead and chuds defecated in the Youtube algorithm.

She's been posted before but if you want a different kind of take down of the Mulan film Xiran Jay Zhao's got you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QKq24e0HM

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, their doing to much world building and taking way to long to get to the point of the video. And I say that as someone who use to watch a lot of Contrapoints and Philosophy tube skits and loved them.

Yeah, I usually hate skits. I guess if it’s a narrative that looks like Pee Wee’s Playhouse and isn’t Linkara battling his future self and isn’t taken seriously at all, I don’t mind it. Go figure.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Ok content it self. Their not really saying anything new about the movie that hasn't been said before and everything is so tounge in cheek that...bleh.

I could feel the irony poisoning.

Edit: Also, I think im kind of over analyzing every piece of media thats popular through a political lens. Something about the idea of "Is Star Wars a revolutionary text?" rubs me the wrong way. Maybe im getting older and have just gotten jaded about left wing posturing on the internet.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 1, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also whatever happened to Dobson.

I'm not sure, but my guess is 1. existing and 2. making cringe content 5 people get mad at because he still lacks self awareness.

Arist posted:

New Sideways on that Mulan remake!

I watched this and it was good, and then I realized he had a whole video on pipe organs that I never watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT934eTbmuY

And he teases something about the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (the Halloween organ music) not actually being written by Bach, and man that is not something you can leave hanging out in the open there without elaborating on it because come on that's just too juicy to brush off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

José has a new video out. This one is on the Daily Wire's (yes, the right wing newspaper) first movie, "Run, Hide, Fight".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWCoesjDqG8

I hope this means Ben Shapiro now tries to adapt his godawful and hella racist book True Allegiance to the big screen, or his collection of short stories including a literal vore fiction piece (look it up, I'm not joking).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbzbIGkPW-o
Random algorithm suggestion about how you can buy incredibly unsafe poo poo on eBay. Also a good example of why you should always wear goggles when using lasers as one of the devices fries multiple cameras even though they were never pointed directly at the lens.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

She's been posted before but if you want a different kind of take down of the Mulan film Xiran Jay Zhao's got you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QKq24e0HM

I love her rationale: "when a movie is so godawful that you have to make an entire youtube channel to point out how bad it is."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Also, I think im kind of over analyzing every piece of media thats popular through a political lens. Something about the idea of "Is Star Wars a revolutionary text?" rubs me the wrong way. Maybe im getting older and have just gotten jaded about left wing posturing on the internet.

It's not a stretch to draw the comparisons. It's a fantasy film so you won't get any of the "boring" parts of organization and other critical things to revolutionary body but the main thrust of the story is Luke seeing his family and home destroyed which radicalizes him against the forces that did it. It all culminates with him killing millions of soldiers of that empire.

That's just reading the film. If you look at intent outside of it, George Lucas fashioned the rebellion after the Viet Cong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea like I get not wanting to read resistance into everything but Star Wars was very explicitly meant to at least in part a commentary on how an empire's arrogance and cruelty can create its own destruction.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbzbIGkPW-o
Random algorithm suggestion about how you can buy incredibly unsafe poo poo on eBay. Also a good example of why you should always wear goggles when using lasers as one of the devices fries multiple cameras even though they were never pointed directly at the lens.

Cool concept and the guy seems to know what he was doing, but man it was hard not to cringe at the bits where he's all "yeah this laser is extremely dangerous and it's a terrible idea to use it for cosmetic purposes. Anyway, now I'll try it out on my own skin." :stare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Cool concept and the guy seems to know what he was doing, but man it was hard not to cringe at the bits where he's all "yeah this laser is extremely dangerous and it's a terrible idea to use it for cosmetic purposes. Anyway, now I'll try it out on my own skin." :stare:

It makes me legitimately terrified now to consider how powerful military-scale directed energy weaponry either already is, or will be once development is complete if something the size of a large hot glue gun that you can you plug into a wall outlet is strong enough to cause intense pain and 1st degree burns.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

ElectroBOOM really changed the safety awareness game forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

I watched another video by him and he does bring up that he's had a bunch of training and years of experience. Anybody just starting out should begin with lower power devices.

nine-gear crow posted:

It makes me legitimately terrified now to consider how powerful military-scale directed energy weaponry either already is, or will be once development is complete if something the size of a large hot glue gun that you can you plug into a wall outlet is strong enough to cause intense pain and 1st degree burns.

He mentioned in the other video how crazy it is any random person can buy this kind of stuff online because in a professional setting these devices would be locked up and you'd have to go through hours and hours of safety training before you would be allowed to touch them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Oh Christ, there's a Michael Reeves for lasers too

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT934eTbmuY

And he teases something about the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (the Halloween organ music) not actually being written by Bach, and man that is not something you can leave hanging out in the open there without elaborating on it because come on that's just too juicy to brush off.

Yeah, that bit sent me searching a bit as well. I think the main reasons why a couple musicologists debate it is:

1) There's no manuscript of it that contemporaneous to Bach's life, and the earliest version has language and terms that Bach wouldn't use. It just shows up in a collection of pieces later with his name on it.
2) It breaks certain rules of counterpoint, and Bach being the most perfect musician that ever music'd (according to these folks) he would never do that.
3) It seems to be a piece that music snobs like to hate for being popular or cheesy so they don't think he wrote it
4) People gotta have hot takes online

So it might be something a young Bach wrote that's out of character with later works, something partly-written by Bach but completed by a pupil or something, or maybe it's the classical music manuscript transcription version of any metal song on Napster the person didn't know being written by Metallica.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope this means Ben Shapiro now tries to adapt his godawful and hella racist book True Allegiance to the big screen, or his collection of short stories including a literal vore fiction piece (look it up, I'm not joking).
Is that the one with the Bart Simpson shirt wearing, jive talking, small, black child that gets heroically murdered by a police officer?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Weirdest thing about Moviebob to me (a Euro) always was this

Until this I've never heard of using mtn dew as marinade.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Bbqing broiler chickens on top a full beer can has been a thing for a while, at least i remember hearing about it in 1997.

Dew isnt the weirdest soda to use anyway.

Thatd be fresca.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Archer666 posted:

My dad does 7up ham for Thanksgiving every year. It's pretty good.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, a lot of brines or marinades add sugars to enhance flavour and browning. I’ve heard of Dr. Pepper getting a lot of use for that, weirdly enough.

That looks burnt, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
A local place does Dr. Pepper chicken wings.

They're surprisingly decent.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There was an official Mountain Dew cookbook released last year

https://store.mountaindew.com/products/the-big-bold-book-of-mtn-dew-recipes

quote:

Introducing the first-ever MTN DEW® cookbook - an anthology of fan-made, fan-inspired, and fan-favorite recipes collected from across DEW Nation and some seriously awesome chefs. The Big Bold Book of MTN DEW Recipes features deliciously charged creations across breakfasts, snacks, sides, main dishes, sauces, desserts, drinks, and more. Get cooking, DEW Nation!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nigella Lawson, the actual Queen of England, did a Ham braised in Coca-Cola and it was lovely.

So yeah, this is a thing that seems weird but actually isn't.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
People have marinaded with Coca-Cola, too (e-lol Kim sent the post above mine while I was typing.) Mountain Dew seems a bit much, when you could probably get the lemon-lime flavor from 7 Up or Sprite without the extra food coloring or caffeine seeping into the meat, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. It's a very unattractive food photo still, though it's a whole separate art to make food photography look appetizing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

People have marinaded with Coca-Cola, too (e-lol Kim sent the post above mine while I was typing.) Mountain Dew seems a bit much, when you could probably get the lemon-lime flavor from 7 Up or Sprite without the extra food coloring or caffeine seeping into the meat, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. It's a very unattractive food photo still, though it's a whole separate art to make food photography look appetizing.

Admittedly my cooking skills are pretty basic, but wouldn't using Mountain Dew on top of stuffing it with lemons and limes just be an overpowering amount of citrus?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Admittedly my cooking skills are pretty basic, but wouldn't using Mountain Dew on top of stuffing it with lemons and limes just be an overpowering amount of citrus?

yes, and I am baffled by the decision of a 3 day marinade :catstare:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

So yeah, this is a thing that seems weird but actually isn't.

Fair enough. I've always marinated chicken in soy sauce, or lemon juice with a bunch of spices mixed in. Never considered using soft drinks for anything else but cocktails..

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I guess it'd depend on how much you like citrus flavors? Mountain Dew isn't like super strongly citrus-y to begin with. If the marinade had real lemon juice in it the whole three days though, I think that'd do a worse number to the texture of the meat.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

3 days is certainly looong for any kind of marinating of chicken, let alone with Mountain Dew. No wonder it's luminous green. Still...I'm not immediately thinking that it's going to be bad. Sure got a crispy skin. Then again, maybe my crap radar is completely smashed out thanks to some of the old cooking programs I've been subjecting myself and my Twitch audience to where either everything is beige and a bronchitic host is coughing over all the food, you have nightmare mode Fanny Cradock stuffing literally everything into a poor turkey's orifices while piping a giant ring of green mashed potatoes around the plate, and students put a bowl of cornflakes, veggies and cheese sauce into the oven and call it dinner. I'm not a good judge.

Also, you now live in fear of any moment in an old British cooking show where the hosts start talking about offal for fear someone's going to use the F slur in reference to a dish of pork offal-based meatballs.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The queen's English is so interesting!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

The queen's English is so interesting!

It's a very different word here (or rather it has been for most of time). F___ot used to be an old measurement for a bundle of sticks. So from there you may find other bundles of things being called that. This is where the "f_g" slang for cigarettes comes from - a pack of cigarettes appears a bit like a pack of short sticks. You get the aforementioned meatball from here too -- which is a bunch of pork off cuts minced up into a meatball and then has an appearance of being bundled together because caul's wrapped around them.

This more humdrum etymology and the slur aren't totally unrelated, mind. On my Wiki travellings today I found the slur may come from a somewhat derogatory term for old women in Victorian times -- "F___ot-gatherer", because you used to get a load of old women eking out a meagre living collecting and selling bunches of sticks for firewood.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Doing that same wiki dive and seeing the possible etymology from boarding school slavery stuff has convinced me like never before that boarding schools and those American child abuse camps are identical.