Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

aldantefax posted:

Also to follow up on this I set up a ko-fi thing but I dunno where to promote it so once I figure that out, I will get to promotin’

What the hell is kofi and why isn't it patreon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I want a TG music thread so that a) I can post my old CRPG dungeoncrawling playlists and b) I can mock the terribly corny power metal that will be posted.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mustache Ride posted:

It's basically a tip jar. Think "buy me a coffee"

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mustache Ride posted:

It’s a community supported Patreon competitor that has less integrations but also lower barrier to entry. Patreon has been struggling, it seems, with being able to keep the lights on and it’s been causing their rake from membership fees to the creators rising, quite possibly because they have a lot of expensive integrations with other services. It also has a membership only model instead of being able to set up a tip jar, which ko-fi has with an option to “go gold” for a monthly fee that allows monthly subscriptions for supporters as well as some other benefits.

Generally speaking I was thinking I want to release all the content I’ve been working on to a public and accessible format and any proceeds that I get from people would go to hiring an editor or getting content to supplement the other writing stuff I’m doing. Still working on what that looks like since I don’t have a content calendar or anything, I just write about what I wanna write about and throw it in here since I just wanna write about games stuff

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I want a TG music thread so that a) I can post my old CRPG dungeoncrawling playlists and b) I can mock the terribly corny power metal that will be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWwd8n2JVI

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Psh, that's barely a 0.25 on the Manowar Scale.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EK9y-GFiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsgUII9IHU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Halloween Jack posted:

Every PC and NPC in the Changeling game I'm in has a theme song, because of one of the other players having a custom Contract to hear someone's theme song. Not sure you're ready for that many covers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Does anyone here have any ideas about fairly rolling a d110 in person?

My first thought was basically

1: roll a d10. if it comes up 0, go to 3. otherwise go to 2.
2: roll a d100. that's the result, end
3: roll a d10, add 100, that's the result, end

but i think that makes results of 101-110 slightly more likely than they would be if the d110 was truly random.

maybe instead:

roll d12, ignore results of "12", subtract 1, multiply by ten, add d10?

does that track correctly like i think it does?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

FFT posted:

but i think that makes results of 101-110 slightly more likely than they would be if the d110 was truly random.

maybe instead:

...under what conditions does a d110 come up?
Roll 1d12 + 1d10, reroll 12s on the d12. d12 for 10s place, d10 for 1s place. Simpler version of your last part.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'd just roll 3d10 and then drop the third die if not relevant. You're going to get weird results if you do those other things and if you were interested in looking at a curve then take a look at Anydice, which shows you the probability of getting one number over another.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FFT posted:

See my first thought for rolling a 1d110 is:

1: go to literally any website made for rolling dice because it is The Goddamned Twenty-First Century there is no way you are more than ten feet from the internet
2: punch in "110" in the spot for rolling weird dice
3: click "roll" and show the group

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
What's your second thought

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

aldantefax posted:

What's your second thought

My thoughts are

1. Random.org
2. Ask somebody not in the game to pick a number between 1 and 110

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, next question:

Have you, or would you, ever show up to a new game of some kind dressed in LARP gear without any advance notice?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FFT posted:

maybe instead:

Those are all gonna be super weird. (I’m assuming you want a flat spread and not a curve of these weird numbers for reasons.)

Just do it in Python or something. It’s like 4 lines of code and your phone can do it.

What are you doing?

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 2, 2021

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here are your next five rolls:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

re: what i'm doing with a d110:

There are 110 common and uncommon wondrous items as listed here and I have a potential use case for randomly picking from that list for an in-person game.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

FFT posted:

There are 110 common and uncommon wondrous items as listed here and I have a potential use case for randomly picking from that list for an in-person game.

Preroll your rolls using an online die roller, and then put them into a notebook somewhere that can be accessed offline if you're not using electronics at your table to go with the list I'm sure you have printed out. If you intend to make the players roll this physically then just do whatever's clever.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

https://anydice.com/

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FFT posted:

get rid of ten of them and roll a d100

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Look at a clock with a second hand. # of Seconds, add 60 if the number of seconds is odd. Reroll if it's 111-120. Or...

Yawgmoth posted:

get rid of ten of them and roll a d100

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you really, really must do this arbitrary number at the table and it must be physical dice rather than something electronic, just roll a d12 for one digit and a d10 for the other and re-roll if it's not a possible result. It's a random item table, so I doubt it comes up much. It doesn't skew the math like doing some weird stuff and just means sometimes you have to roll again cause you don't have a d11.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

aldantefax posted:

I wanted to go to sleep early but then I stayed up and had half a pack of ramen, and for some reason I started looking at zithers and came across the ajaeng:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-alTu2ooh0

The percussion + the entire arrangement but especially the 1st and 3rd movements are very Conan the Barbarian OST feeling, or alternatley, Runequest and similar feeling. Wind swept plains, a journey over the wide open sky, the passing of the sun, moon and stars, very dramatic piece!

I have contemplated a tabletop RPGs music thread. I think considering entire genres and countless hours and bands have been dedicated to recanting their elfgames I'm surprised there isn't actually one yet.

Thank you for posting this! I love this entire piece, and it's absolutely going into the soundtrack for my next Exalted game. I do A Lot Of Soundtracking for my home games, so I'd definitely post in a music thread if you do make one.

Edit: as the nearly-lifelong owner that exact d100 but in red, I want to consider myself Fairness Neutral Structural Neutral. Given that said d100's casing popped open and was shoddily superglued back together by my mom but continues to be used to this day, I should probably admit to Fairness Radical Structural Neutral.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 2, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think I am all of the items in the dice alignment chart, so if someone asks me, I am a Fairness/Structural Radical-Neutral-Purist.

Also maybe I'll make a music thread, you can't stop me!!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Platonic solids marked with a unique integer in a range from 1 to the number of sides on each face are dice. The ""d10"" is an abomination.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you really, really must do this arbitrary number at the table and it must be physical dice rather than something electronic, just roll a d12 for one digit and a d10 for the other and re-roll if it's not a possible result. It's a random item table, so I doubt it comes up much. It doesn't skew the math like doing some weird stuff and just means sometimes you have to roll again cause you don't have a d11.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Roll 1d12 + 1d10, reroll 12s on the d12. d12 for 10s place, d10 for 1s place. Simpler version of your last part.

FFT posted:

The solution I decided on, yep. Have to subtract 1 from the d12 result to make 1-10 possible.

I mean I guess I could just make the list start at 11 and go to 120 (and still ignore 12s) but I already printed it and my laziness is arbitrary.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah (d12-1) for the tens/hundreds, rerolling 12's, and d10 for the ones is probably the most efficient way you'll find.

Every other method I'm coming up with leads to more rerolling.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FFT posted:

The solution I decided on, yep. Have to subtract 1 from the d12 result to make 1-10 possible.

I mean I guess I could just make the list start at 11 and go to 120 (and still ignore 12s) but I already printed it and my laziness is arbitrary.

You printed it?

Cut it into 110 strips and put them all in a bowl, shake it, and draw from that.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tulip posted:

You printed it?

Cut it into 110 strips and put them all in a bowl, shake it, and draw from that.

Fairness Neutral Structure Radical identified in the wild???

Edit: I've actually seen Fairness Radical Structure Radical in the wild, come to think of it. The kids I run D&D for, before they had ever played the real game, would play what they called "Campfire D&D" on camping trips. Rules resolution consisted of saying you were doing something, and the DM picking a number in their head between 1 and X, and if you guessed the number or within a certain range of the number, you did the thing. I can only imagine what the ratio of "fair adjudication" to "shameless cheating" must have been for 10-11 year olds given that job.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 2, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kestral posted:

Edit: I've actually seen Fairness Radical Structure Radical in the wild, come to think of it. The kids I run D&D for, before they had ever played the real game, would play what they called "Campfire D&D" on camping trips. Rules resolution consisted of saying you were doing something, and the DM picking a number in their head between 1 and X, and if you guessed the number or within a certain range of the number, you did the thing. I can only imagine what the ratio of "fair adjudication" to "shameless cheating" must have been for 10-11 year olds given that job.

What those kids were doing is very close to just using rocks paper scissors, which is how Divinity and Vampire LARP do things.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tulip posted:

What those kids were doing is very close to just using rocks paper scissors, which is how Divinity and Vampire LARP do things.

God, now I'm imagining Vampire LARP with the ability to undetectably cheat at will because you can always claim they didn't guess your secret number. I'm pretty sure people would literally be murdered by mall katanas.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kestral posted:

If you ever played Orleans or Puzzle Strike or any other "bag randomizer" game then you got yourself Structure Radical there, i m o

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kestral posted:

Don't know if you know this one, but there's a very fair way to do this!

The GM and player both pick a number within the dice range, and then count up from the player's number to the GM's number, looping at the max number. The result is the count. So 1d12, pl6 gm2 = 8.

Scratch the numbers in the dirt and then reveal if you wanna be as fair as it's possible to get.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Don't know if you know this one, but there's a very fair way to do this!

The GM and player both pick a number within the dice range, and then count up from the player's number to the GM's number, looping at the max number. The result is the count. So 1d12, pl6 gm2 = 8.

Scratch the numbers in the dirt and then reveal if you wanna be as fair as it's possible to get.
Call me a stats nerd, but people are really bad at choosing "random" numbers. Adding together two non-random human-generated numbers doesn't give you a random number as output.

I mean it can work in a pinch if nobody has dice or something (like the campfire, above), but it isn't a fair probability.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What the gently caress is this

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1356641032226680832?s=19

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lol I know someone who worked on that and when they posted about it I made the :chloe: face