Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I like how in TNG they scan the atmospheric conditions of the planet after they beam down without protective suits and then slowly suffocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Is there a list of Trek books that were written as sequels to specific episodes?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is there a list of Trek books that were written as sequels to specific episodes?
I don't know if there is a master list, but there are tons of those.

Not that long ago in the Titan series they did a sequel to the TNG episode 'Schisms'.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The entire Enterprise relaunch begins with them explicitly stating that what we saw in These Are the Voyages was a Section 31 coverup and that it was all dumb bullshit to hide that Tucker’s death was staged so he could become a spy on Romulus.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Why do I find Cardassian women so hot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know if there is a master list, but there are tons of those.

Not that long ago in the Titan series they did a sequel to the TNG episode 'Schisms'.

Doesn't cover individual episode related books, but here's the flowchart that Trek Collective put together for most of the book series that were at least complete as of 2013. Star Trek Lit-verse also offers a more-updated guide to things like this.

Basically the TNG "A Time To..." books are like an eighth season of TNG set between Insurrection and Nemesis, and then the Titan books like a Riker spin off TV show set after Nemesis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bullbar posted:

Chief O’Brien account spotted

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

FlamingLiberal posted:

OK so this is the Millennium trilogy which is not part of the relaunch.

The DS9 relaunch stuff is listed here- https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/DS9_relaunch

This is a very minor quibble, but they're sort of relaunch?

This might be a retcon thing, but I think the series is supposed to be the Prophets telling a story to explain the nature of time/reality to The Sisko after he joins the Celestial Temple at the end of What You Leave Behind. So it's an alternate reality that never really happens, but Sisko is aware of its events?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the Grim Darkness of 2399.99 there is only war and huge spaceships

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BonHair posted:

I was under the impression that Trek EU is basically fanfiction, with very little editorial oversight or regard for continuity. That blurb confirms my impression pretty hard. Seriously, why would Picard even care about size?

I read those as a teen! They're deliberately batshit insane but that blurb plays pretty hard and fast with the plot. Picard's quest is to build a massive ship capable of surviving a 17,000 year slingshot maneuver as part of a grand plan to go back in time and change the past to win the war without causing an alternate timeline (since that would be of no help to them in that timeline) by sending a ship back to a time where they could plant time bombs deep in ancient stable geological rocks deep under all of the enemy's critical facilities set to blow in the present after the ship slingshots back. By the time of the book Picard is deep in dementia but Nog is looking after him and running the project on his behalf.

Doesn't work, they recover the wreck of the ship from ancient times and confirm it crashed on arrival, but it's implied that Picard, Vash and Nog survived and became preexisting ancient mythological figures in the bajoran religion. Like I said, it's deliberately batshit insane. At the end of the first book DS9 is destroyed when the red wormhole is opened inside it and the Defiant accidentally slingshots around the new wormhole as it opens while it's trying to escape and ends up in the bad future 25 years on, at the end of the second book the universe ends and the third book happens in a pocket of space-time inside the merged wormholes with transitory links back in time through which they work to avert the plot of the trilogy from happening.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 1, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bullbar posted:

i feel like they usually cast women with big eyes and throw a ton of eyeliner on them

plus they've probably got the berman-mandated wonderbras going on in the costume too

that's obviously a very quick and superficial read though, there might be more going on i'm missing or forgetting

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bullbar posted:

Do you enjoy spooning?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bridge Commander was set post-DS9, and there was a bit where a captain scolded a Ferengi and threatened to report him to Grand Nagus Rom.

Shame it was just so darn boring.

Bullbar posted:

Why not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/04UuqBp.mp4

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The hard part is probably not so much the space exteriors as it is the composite shots. Every time someone fires a phaser or beams down or whatever, someone at minimum has to re-composite those effects shots.

Right, but that was also the case with TNG. I think the common wisdom is that DS9 would be harder because of the CGI space battles probably needing to be 100% redone. But it's probably not that much harder. The bigger problem is that the TNG remaster didn't necessarily pay off financially. So "not much harder than TNG" is still an obstacle for a less popular show.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

BRUNT! *click*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Iconian War was so boring but it was almost worth it just for that mission.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Iconian War was so boring but it was almost worth it just for that mission.

That was after the iconian war was over, that was one of the missions from the DS9 expansion, which was the best story stuff the game's ever done before it suddenly wrapped up abruptly and then the game suddenly switched focus to boring discovery stuff in a move that totally wasn't studio mandated at all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 1, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Whelp, wasn't expecting the Rock to randomly show up in a voyager episode.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's quite a few cameos in Voyager. Tom Morello shows up for instance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Whelp, wasn't expecting the Rock to randomly show up in a voyager episode.

UPN's two big Things were Star Trek and WWE, so they decided to synergise.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BonHair posted:

There's quite a few cameos in Voyager. Tom Morello shows up for instance.

And one of the princes of Jordan irrc

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Pretty sure Seth McFarlane makes an ensign appearance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MillennialVulcan posted:

That's on Enterprise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Seth pops up in Enterprise like three times, IIRC.

e;fb

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MillennialVulcan posted:

He shows up in Enterprise as some guy working in a corridor.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
my trek trivia, lo, i am slain!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, so in conclusion: 3 2 4 5 6 7 1

Most pleasant surprise: Half A Life. They gave Lwaxana a serious script for the first time and it really worked. Also one of the only episodes about an alien culture clash that ends without a sneering lecture about their moral inferiority from one of the bridge crew. Also young Michelle Forbes :eyepop:

Most disappointing 'good' episode: The Drumhead. When I posted about it at the time someone accurately summarised it as a 'well, fascism could never happen here' story. If TNG was a product of self-satisfied 90s end of history liberalism then this was the ideology at its most worst, the villain immediately implodes from Picard giving a single speech about inspirational values and her apparently snowballing witchhunt movement just turns to dust in the wind instantly, the power structures and underlying ideology of the Federation is never really examined let alone tested and everyone just gets back on with their lives having vanquished nationalist authoritarianism with a single bop on the nose from a rolled up newspaper

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Half A Life is legit great and it sucks that it’s rarely ever brought up when people talk about the good TNG episodes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

somebody already called dibs on horny posting about cardies. find your own niche

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I wish we could've seen Q gently caress with other species. I'm sure the Klingons would react well their race being put on trial. The Ferengi would find a way to bribe an omnipotent being. The closest we got was the two-man show De Lancie did with Nimoy where Spock out-logics Q.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

I wish we could've seen Q gently caress with other species. I'm sure the Klingons would react well their race being put on trial. The Ferengi would find a way to bribe an omnipotent being. The closest we got was the two-man show De Lancie did with Nimoy where Spock out-logics Q.

"What's in it for moi?"

"What would you like?"

"Teach me that mindmeld trick."

"Ah, you are unable to do that. What a pity."

And then just the indignant look on De Lancie's face, just loving :discourse:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

multijoe posted:

Okay, so in conclusion: 3 2 4 5 6 7 1

Most pleasant surprise: Half A Life. They gave Lwaxana a serious script for the first time and it really worked. Also one of the only episodes about an alien culture clash that ends without a sneering lecture about their moral inferiority from one of the bridge crew. Also young Michelle Forbes :eyepop:

Most disappointing 'good' episode: The Drumhead. When I posted about it at the time someone accurately summarised it as a 'well, fascism could never happen here' story. If TNG was a product of self-satisfied 90s end of history liberalism then this was the ideology at its most worst, the villain immediately implodes from Picard giving a single speech about inspirational values and her apparently snowballing witchhunt movement just turns to dust in the wind instantly, the power structures and underlying ideology of the Federation is never really examined let alone tested and everyone just gets back on with their lives having vanquished nationalist authoritarianism with a single bop on the nose from a rolled up newspaper

One-act plays must really ruffle your feathers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean it’s an allegory, but even in-universe Picard didn’t foil her plans with a speech. She hosed up her own scheme by accidentally letting the mask drop for a second in front of the Admiralty and all her followers. She destroyed her own credibility by dropping that facade and making it clear it was all about her own personal issues, not preventing any actual threat. And it’s not just magically solved by the end of that scene, because in the epilogue Worf is still frustrated with his own actions and how easily he bought into her agenda. Picard doesn’t say “hey it’s all good we beat her and it’ll never happen again”, he says it can only be prevented by further vigilance.

It’s a good episode, op.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And it’s not just magically solved by the end of that scene, because in the epilogue Worf is still frustrated with his own actions and how easily he bought into her agenda. Picard doesn’t say “hey it’s all good we beat her and it’ll never happen again”, he says it can only be prevented by further vigilance.

It’s a good episode, op.

It's also not magically solved because the officer who gets drumheaded (if you want to call it that) still has his career hosed over it, and they never pretend it's all forgiven for him.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My SO told me at some point in the last nine years they were interested in watching TNG, so we did, occasionally pausing just long enough for the Blu-rays to catch up, for episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise". They skipped "Shades of Gray". Then we watched TOS with the original effects. Then all the movies. Then DS9 in step with Greatest Gen's schedule (except they missed Bariel dying and the Risa one, because we were busy those weekends or something). Also caught all of Picard and Lower Decks.

We broke up Wednesday. Don't know when I'm going to watch the DS9 finale or listen to this week's Greatest Gen about it. These human emotions are highly illogical.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CPColin posted:

My SO told me at some point in the last nine years they were interested in watching TNG, so we did, occasionally pausing just long enough for the Blu-rays to catch up, for episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise". They skipped "Shades of Gray". Then we watched TOS with the original effects. Then all the movies. Then DS9 in step with Greatest Gen's schedule (except they missed Bariel dying and the Risa one, because we were busy those weekends or something). Also caught all of Picard and Lower Decks.

We broke up Wednesday. Don't know when I'm going to watch the DS9 finale or listen to this week's Greatest Gen about it. These human emotions are highly illogical.

Oh no! Well if you want goons to watch the finale along with you sometime so it's not weird on your own I'm sure there'll be volunteers in the thread.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Aw shucks, thanks, I'll keep that in mind :shobon:

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

CPColin posted:

Jesus man are you okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

lukevictorious posted:

Jesus man are you okay

Just remind me not to cause another break-up during the next quarantine! Or at least, next time, time it better so it's not an entire week before the next therapy appointment!