Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MagusofStars posted:

It just clearly sends the message that holy hell, we might be miles over our head in dealing with Cheng.

True, but it also establishes that if you're useful to her, she will overlook things. She's nothing if not pragmatic. I mean we still don't quite know what's going to happen to Bao, but it's clear that if she wanted him worse-than-dead it would have already happened.

Just don't overestimate how useful you are to her when you... take initiative, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

True, but it also establishes that if you're useful to her, she will overlook things. She's nothing if not pragmatic. I mean we still don't quite know what's going to happen to Bao, but it's clear that if she wanted him worse-than-dead it would have already happened.

Just don't overestimate how useful you are to her when you... take initiative, so to speak.

And I think in this case, it's in the PC's favor that it's not remotely clear yet what the hell went down or why. I think Chen is electing to move carefully with the PC right now, until such time as she gets a good grasp of precisely what kind of poo poo got dumped into her backyard and who dropped it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It also establishes that anyone double-crossing the triad and not properly covering up will come to envy the pitiful old man who got roughed up.

Ain't nobody loving with the Yellow Lotus Triad, nor more to the point dear old Aunty.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

And I think in this case, it's in the PC's favor that it's not remotely clear yet what the hell went down or why. I think Chen is electing to move carefully with the PC right now, until such time as she gets a good grasp of precisely what kind of poo poo got dumped into her backyard and who dropped it.

Yeah. For all she knows whoever is after the PC is after them because they know something. And now whoever is after them might think that Chen now knows something too. And it's clear that whoever is after the PC can, at the very least, make the HKPF into their own personal hit squad which is rather worrying for her. She wasn't kidding in one of the previous updates when she said that Gobbet and Is0bel had just dropped a huge pile of flaming dogshit on her doorstep (or however she phrased it).

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

She wasn't kidding in one of the previous updates when she said that Gobbet and Is0bel had just dropped a huge pile of flaming dogshit on her doorstep (or however she phrased it).

And likely, once she's finished sorting out what's going on and how to deal with it, those two are going to be in a world of pain for it. Unless they make themselves very useful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaosdrachen posted:

And likely, once she's finished sorting out what's going on and how to deal with it, those two are going to be in a world of pain for it. Unless they make themselves very useful.

I think those two are relatively safe. At the end of the day, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and Chen doesn't seem like the kind of person who kills over that. The PC and Duncan on the other hand...

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This mission illustrates very neatly a lot of things. It's a good showcase of the neighbourhood and the people that you just got dropped head-first into.

And it's also a mechanical showcase as to why not bringing Isobel to places is generally a bad idea. We lost 270 nuyen by not bringing her this time. Now, we got a karma in exchange since this was specifically set up to be Gobbet OR Isobel, but you can be sure that's not going to be the case most of the time.

(Plus if you already know the code, you can technically get the karma anyways since I'm pretty sure it doesn't change)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I think those two are relatively safe. At the end of the day, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and Chen doesn't seem like the kind of person who kills over that. The PC and Duncan on the other hand...
Probably so, as long as they stay under the radar.

If the HKPF followed up on their previous bulletin on Is0bel and Gobbit and got close to Heoi, Chen also doesn't seem like the person who'd blink for a second at putting bodies at the bottom of the harbor if it became necessary.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keldulas posted:

(Plus if you already know the code, you can technically get the karma anyways since I'm pretty sure it doesn't change)
Ah, the ol' vampire hacking skill. :drac:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cythereal posted:

The PC and Duncan on the other hand...

Are also in the wrong place at the wrong time with no clue what the gently caress is going on. Raymond managed to gently caress everyone over somehow, including himself apparently.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B

Kindly Cheng posted:

I am in this position because I am far better at this than you

She's not kidding. She sleuthed Bao out, planned a 'reach out and touch someone' job, but also allowed it to work out to her benefit no matter what her target chose.
And she got to test some potentially unreliable assets for "can you follow directions", all while getting them out of her immediate area after they dodged HKPD and their bullets.

Makes me wonder who would have drawn this mission had the Player not shown up (and what happened to the rest of Bao's associates).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

She wanted them left alive and told him he could keep his men, so I imagine nothing too horrible.

You know, besides being stationed in the walled city where the super lovely energy is so bad it chased off that researcher.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I can't help but hope that the researcher's test strip went bad super quick because she was all messed up herself, and her fixes actually did a little something to help. :smith:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Space Kablooey posted:

I can't help but hope that the researcher's test strip went bad super quick because she was all messed up herself, and her fixes actually did a little something to help. :smith:

I haven't played this game so pure speculation but how is Kowloon not infested with insect spirits by this point?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Soylent Pudding posted:

I haven't played this game so pure speculation but how is Kowloon not infested with insect spirits by this point?

Potential shamans dying too quickly or being too far gone to be useful.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Insect spirits don't want to live there either.
(this sounds like a joke but I would consider it the actual answer)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Lone Badger posted:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the local energy was so toxic that it actually kills the things before they can finish gestating.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, I'd consider this the real answer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Space Kablooey posted:

I dunno, this smells like Main Plot to me. That Kowloon being abnormally hosed up and awful even by Shadowrun standards and the clusterfuck at the docks and whatever Raymond was doing are all related.

I'm assuming that someone capable of turning the HKPD into their own private hit squad is going to be a pretty serious affair, if not quite the 'holy poo poo what the gently caress' of Monica's death and its implications at the beginning of Dragonfall when people just thought it was black ICE.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Negative_Earth posted:

She's not kidding. She sleuthed Bao out, planned a 'reach out and touch someone' job, but also allowed it to work out to her benefit no matter what her target chose.
And she got to test some potentially unreliable assets for "can you follow directions", all while getting them out of her immediate area after they dodged HKPD and their bullets.

Yeah, she's pretty good at the whole win-win thing, isn't she ? Like with us. We're either assets who can do what they're told competently enough for real work (who are under her thumb for good so much cheaper than paying real runners), or we're goodwill tokens to the HKPF and/or whoever's organized the massacre, possibly coming in a number of bags each no bigger than a breadbox.

She's got absolutely nothing to lose playing with our skins - the "loss of face" thing covers Nightjar's crew exclusively, not us.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Because they're not prosperous enough.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, she's pretty good at the whole win-win thing, isn't she ? Like with us. We're either assets who can do what they're told competently enough for real work (who are under her thumb for good so much cheaper than paying real runners), or we're goodwill tokens to the HKPF and/or whoever's organized the massacre, possibly coming in a number of bags each no bigger than a breadbox.

She's got absolutely nothing to lose playing with our skins - the "loss of face" thing covers Nightjar's crew exclusively, not us.

I mean it wasn't zero-cost for her, she had to spend some favours organising the burning of our SINs. But she ran the odds and decided a wager was in her favour.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, this smells like Main Plot to me. That Kowloon being abnormally hosed up and awful even by Shadowrun standards and the clusterfuck at the docks and whatever Raymond was doing are all related.

I'm assuming that someone capable of turning the HKPD into their own private hit squad is going to be a pretty serious affair, if not quite the 'holy poo poo what the gently caress' of Monica's death and its implications at the beginning of Dragonfall when people just thought it was black ICE.

Yeah, I'm getting definite "main problem of the game" feelings here. Magic in Shadowrun is subject to what's called "background count", where how easy/hard it is to cast spells and work with spirits can vary depending on area. Usually background count is normally affected by major events there, particularly bad ones make it much worse (trying to summon spirits or cast magic in Auschwitz is a Really Bad Idea in-setting for example), but background can also be manipulated by feng shui and other forms of "geomancy". I seem to recall Hong Kong in particular getting a call out in the setting for lots of companies messing with feng shui; this company makes their corporate headquarters just this way to bring good fortune/direct bad vibes to a competitor, that competitor builds to act like a "mirror" or even redirects the negative energy to yet another company, and so on and so forth (one of the more amusing Shadowrun mission suggestions was basically ninja redecorating a target to play with their feng shui). It's possible somebody is redirecting nastiness into Kowloon, though whether that the equivalent of magic toxic waste dumping or part of some plan to fuel some sort of magic there is still kind of up in the air.

Stroth posted:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the local energy was so toxic that it actually kills the things before they can finish gestating.

It very well could be! As mentioned, background count affects spirits in the area, and in particular areas can be rendered "toxic" (most easily by actually tossing actual toxic waste there like all too many Shadowrun corporations like to do, but even just large amounts of human misery can do it if I recall right) which generates toxic spirits from that area that tend to be about as friendly as you'd expect a spirit of radiation or poison to be (i.e. not very). There are also toxic shamans who get twisted by their exposure to these things, and some effectively turn into the equivalent of Captain Planet villains to try to spread their particular brand of toxin around to increase their power, it could be one of them doing this. I do imagine insect spirits might have issues with toxic areas, though I would have thought any area toxic enough to repel them would be giving someone like our Rat shaman serious issues too, so hard to say.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Some insect spirits are actually extremely good at surviving spiritually toxic areas, but those particular kind are relatively harmless compared to the Ant Spirits from the first Shadowrun game.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Insect shamans can go toxic but it's blessedly super mega rare. They're all about unity and the whole above the self and the outlook of toxic spirits is pretty inimical to that.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yeah, it does feel way too cruel to keep the old man's cred stick. Even if there's no reward, returning it felt good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

paragon1 posted:

Insect shamans can go toxic but it's blessedly super mega rare. They're all about unity and the whole above the self and the outlook of toxic spirits is pretty inimical to that.

It depends on the spirit. Some of the predator bug spirits get along quite well with humans because they have the same enemies, and don't even override their host.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

MadDogMike posted:

(one of the more amusing Shadowrun mission suggestions was basically ninja redecorating a target to play with their feng shui)

I can also imagine wage slaves discreetly moving plant pots around the office and strategically dropping paperclips so that Joe Promotioncompetition gets bad luck on their quarterly review.

quote:

(most easily by actually tossing actual toxic waste there like all too many Shadowrun corporations like to do, but even just large amounts of human misery can do it if I recall right)

Oh yes. That's why Auschwitz is super bad juju. Any spirit who chooses to kip in that little corner of the astral is most definitely going bonkers soon if it wasn't to begin with and not something you want to come into contact with (not to mention the vengeful ghosts of all the people who died there with enough hate to stick around, like our friend the Door Code Spirit).

Whether the qi in Kowloon got hosed up and that's why the place is miserable, or the place started miserable enough that its inhabitants unwittingly hosed up the qi in there just by being unhappy on a large scale is up in the air ; but at this point it's most definitely a self-perpetuating loop.

EDIT : BTW the feng shui stuff is not just a thing in setting. Feng shui is Big Money in SE Asia, both in terms of consulting and whether or not a big deal is going to get signed when. Not everybody believes in it, nor every company ; and in any event a lot of FS is just good sense wrapped with a mystical bow, but still, it can get weird.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 2, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For unclear reasons, nuclear weapons also gently caress up the astral something chronic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I preemptively vote to do the whampoa one first if we're going to even vote. do the whampoa one first, it'll increase humor value massively. you might think we might not wanna do whampoa one first but we wanna do whampoa one first

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
We're not voting for missions, or counting pre-emptive votes for that matter. I've played this game before so please relax and stick to things that have been covered in this LP instead of future content as per thread rules, thank you kindly.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So he wasn't just doing a complicated setup to a "whampoa balls" joke, that's an actual thing that was given that name?

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Dareon posted:

So he wasn't just doing a complicated setup to a "whampoa balls" joke, that's an actual thing that was given that name?

Whampoa Garden is a real place in actual Hong Kong today, and also a place in Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, we do have a shaman on the team. Gobbet's a rat shaman, so I suppose it seems logical (not knowing a whole lot about the setting) that rat spirits would manage better than most under these conditions.

I'm assuming that commandeering the HKPD takes some serious resources, probably the same kind of resources that would allow for deliberately loving up magic in Kowloon or profiting off of such.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The HKPD answers to the highest bidder. They have no loyalty to anyone except kicking the poo poo out of whoever the FEZ council wants hurt and/or dead.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cythereal posted:

I'm assuming that commandeering the HKPD takes some serious resources, probably the same kind of resources that would allow for deliberately loving up magic in Kowloon or profiting off of such.

The HKPF is already mostly a corporate hit squad rather than a police department. I mean sure, they also do regular policing stuff on the side, but they're really the armed fist of the HK government, which itself is literally a corporate board of directors. Sure, corpos being kind of sort of the de facto rulers is true more or less everywhere in the Sixth World but in HK they dropped the pretence entirely. It's a libertarian wetdream, which might explain the existence of the mother of all slums teehee.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

As a side note, we know that we're not facing one of the big 10 because they have their own people for this kind of operation. The Hong Kong cops exist to muscle for the local A and AA corps (who in turn exist to act as cutouts and bagmen for the big players, no matter what they think of themselves) but they can't hold a candle to the likes of Firewatch or the Red Samurai. If those guys were involved, we'd be dead already.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wiegieman posted:

It depends on the spirit. Some of the predator bug spirits get along quite well with humans because they have the same enemies, and don't even override their host.

They 100% override the host, but yes they can be cooperative. If they actually like you then you'd better watch your back because they probably think you're a good candidate for a merge.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So are Bee spirits bad?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

wiegieman posted:

As a side note, we know that we're not facing one of the big 10 because they have their own people for this kind of operation. The Hong Kong cops exist to muscle for the local A and AA corps (who in turn exist to act as cutouts and bagmen for the big players, no matter what they think of themselves) but they can't hold a candle to the likes of Firewatch or the Red Samurai. If those guys were involved, we'd be dead already.

Eh, I dunno. You don't send your corp special forces to deal with a bunch of nobodies. I mean, the part about us being dead if that were the case is absolutely true, but making a call to the local SWAT team is a lot easier and a lot more discreet.

A Firewatch or Red Samurai team is a precious resource and they already have a busy schedule dealing with things that actually matter like insect spirit nests or assaults on multi-billion dollar research facilities by soon-to-be-dead runners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hkpd is a division of mitsuhama in sr