Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

i don't have a CR membership, could you throw some model numbers at me?

I guess I could throw $10 at a month of it, though.

LG LFC22770ST
LG LFCS22520S
GE GNE21FSKSS
KitchenAid KRFF300ESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The condo we bought came with a fridge that had an ice maker. It's never worked. The water was on, it was hooked up. No idea why it doesn't work, but also don't use ice enough to care that much about it. I shut the water off.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Qwijib0 posted:

LG LFC22770ST
LG LFCS22520S
GE GNE21FSKSS
KitchenAid KRFF300ESS

Ugh, these all look nice, but I need something in a 36" width (35 5/8" specifically)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Do never buy Samsung large appliances. Their repair supply chain is nonexistent and they have a shitload of design issue and the local appliance repair shops hate working with them so good luck with ‘warranty.’

I guess if you’ve got a garage fridge or some backup so you’re not without a fridge for months while waiting for parts it’s manageable if you really want an android tablet on your fridge.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Also, everything is so back ordered that right now my solution is "what is in stock?"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

Do never buy Samsung large appliances. Their repair supply chain is nonexistent and they have a shitload of design issue and the local appliance repair shops hate working with them so good luck with ‘warranty.’

One came with our house and boy do I hate it. I've had more trouble with it in the last year and a half than the combined lifetime total of every fridge I've ever known.

I've pretty much given up on the ice maker ever working correctly. It just constantly made ice, even when there was no more space for ice. Then that stopped for some reason. Then the spinny part that makes the ice come out iced over and I decided I don't care enough to fix it. Doesn't seem to be causing me any trouble?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

homeownership has been nothing but trouble and problems

but they're my trouble and my problems and no one gets to tell me dick about how to solve them. :hmmyes:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Also, everything is so back ordered that right now my solution is "what is in stock?"

In the 36es, there's this GE

GFD28GYNFS

and then just a bunch of LGs, interestingly almost in order of price from highest to lowest with MSRPs from $3800 down to about $2400 after which the scores start to drop off quite a bit, so any LG in that range is probably fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

In the 36es, there's this GE

GFD28GYNFS

and then just a bunch of LGs, interestingly almost in order of price from highest to lowest with MSRPs from $3800 down to about $2400 after which the scores start to drop off quite a bit, so any LG in that range is probably fine.

oof, i love it, but it's a spendy boy.

thanks.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Toebone posted:

Speaking of kitchen flooring, mine looks like it installed by a drunk chimp.

What's my best option these days for a DIY replacement (in terms of cost, ease of install, and quality/appearance)? The subfloor is fine, as far as I know.

??? Was it cheap flooring that just came apart or did they just open up a box of laminate and kind of tossed it out on the subfloor?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Toebone posted:

What's my best option these days for a DIY replacement (in terms of cost, ease of install, and quality/appearance)? The subfloor is fine, as far as I know.

this is also why i replaced mine, the previous owner may have been a drunk chimp

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

??? Was it cheap flooring that just came apart or did they just open up a box of laminate and kind of tossed it out on the subfloor?

Beats me. There's gaps all over the place, what looks like wood glue used to fill some of the gaps, and some of the planks are screwed down.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Deviant posted:

I guess I could throw $10 at a month of it, though.

It's well worth it when appliance shopping, do it.

When I had to buy a "4 peice set" in late 2019 i will note that all appliances online have tons of hateful reviews, I ended up going to a few brick and mortar places, noted all prices are the same and just spoke to and bought from a place that's the most local, a regional chain with like 3 stores in my area.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Toebone posted:

Beats me. There's gaps all over the place, what looks like wood glue used to fill some of the gaps, and some of the planks are screwed down.

If there is wood glue under those boards then the subfloor is not really going to be OK. If it's just used as grout you might be able to scrape it off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

If there is wood glue under those boards then the subfloor is not really going to be OK. If it's just used as grout you might be able to scrape it off.

Unless they're real unlucky with removal even the cheapest/thinnest underlayment should make up for the difference if they lose some of the top layer of ply. If there are larger sections that get screwed up using some self leveling fill works just fine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Deviant posted:

Do we have an appliance thread? My fridge has given up the ghost for the last time, and I'm looking to replace it.

Leaning towards the Samsung RF27T5201SR or its slightly fancier brother the RF28R6201SR but that's purely based on google research.

There's a GE side by side that's a bit cheaper too.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-app...rf27t5201sr-aa/
https://www.samsung.com/us/home-app...rf28r6201sr-aa/
https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-25-3-Cu-Ft-Side-By-Side-Refrigerator-GSS25GSHSS

Oh yeah! I ordered that (or similar) GE side by side from Wayfair back in early November... hoping to see it delivered in the next few weeks! They had a sale for ~800$ on the black model, so 50/50 it just gets straight up cancelled :shrug:

On samsung stuff, Yale Appliance Blog suggests that samsung is generally as reliable as other brands but they have squat for repair and parts chain which means the slightest serviceable thing makes your fridge doa, not to mention the infamous icemaker problems. You might find some of the rest of the Yale Appliance blog informative. I like that and Wirecutter for reviews and appliance info.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Toebone posted:

Not sure what I feel now that I see the screws...

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I’m not even sure how that happens. There was a post on /r/homeimprovement from someone who did that to their own floor. Spent a ton of time preparing and then apparently threw it out the window on install.

It had a happy ending as they got help on reinstalling it and were able to salvage enough pieces for a proper install.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gotta say an ice maker sounds like a pointless thing that just adds cost and complexity, definitely one of those things I have no problems living without. Gotta say the older I get, the more ascetic my tastes and preferences become.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gotta say an ice maker sounds like a pointless thing that just adds cost and complexity, definitely one of those things I have no problems living without. Gotta say the older I get, the more ascetic my tastes and preferences become.

It's perfectly fine to live without one as long as you don't have one or more people in your house, otherwise normal thoughtful people, who just can't take the extra 20 seconds to empty an ice tray into a bin and put more water in the tray.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is that pergo? I cant tell, it looks like the older tongue and groove stuff that required glue and wrenches(?) to tighten the seams.

I'm quite sure that whatever it is, it's supposed to float, that one has random screws through the middle of tiles. Wow that's so bad.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

It's perfectly fine to live without one as long as you don't have one or more people in your house, otherwise normal thoughtful people, who just can't take the extra 20 seconds to empty an ice tray into a bin and put more water in the tray.

This is my wife. She also happens to subsist on large glasses of ice, so this creates quite the dilemma.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Desktop ice machines are also an option. My parents have one that looks like a bread machine and keeps them in constant supply of pellet “Sonic ice.”

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not all of us can just reach outside and grab all the ice we could ever want for 8 month of the year :colbert:

My year or two old Frigidaire fridge has 2 ice makers and so far has been great except that the ice dispenser ice maker is really loud at 2am on occasion.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Well, you all made me curious so I removed a screw and pulled up a board.

We've got the boards, a bit of underlayment, and what looks like the old floorboards (house is ~1840s). Upon closer inspection it's not glue between the joints, but grout? He did a bad job!

We've got the same flooring in the bedrooms (minus the gaps and grout, but plus a bit of bounciness). I think he must have done the bedrooms and used his leftover scraps for the kitchen.

Edit: now someone please talk me out of trying to restore the original floorboards instead of just putting in some vinyl

Toebone fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 2, 2021

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Toebone posted:

We've got the boards, a bit of underlayment, and what looks like the old floorboards (house is ~1840s). Upon closer inspection it's not glue between the joints, but grout? He did a bad job!

We've got the same flooring in the bedrooms (minus the gaps and grout, but plus a bit of bounciness). I think he must have done the bedrooms and used his leftover scraps for the kitchen.

At this point you just have to sort of admire it.

Maybe it's some performance art project?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I love fridges with ice makers. It's like being in the future in the UK if the future is like a long time ago in the States.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I love fridges with ice makers. It's like being in the future in the UK if the future is like a long time ago in the States.

If your fridge has an icemaker going forward a little more into the future will ensure that it doesn't.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Works posted:

If your fridge has an icemaker going forward a little more into the future will ensure that it doesn't.

too long for a thread title but I like it

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Ice makers are awesome. I have one in my freezer that empties into a tray and I have a scoop so I can fill up whatever the hell I want with ice. Nothing beats cold fridge water poured over ice.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

From our old busted fridge in the apartment we moved out of, I learned I can definitely live without the water dispenser but the ice maker is almost non-negotiable. I'm sure many people can just carry a tray full of water from the sink to the fridge without spilling it, but I'm not one of those people.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Toebone posted:

Edit: now someone please talk me out of trying to restore the original floorboards instead of just putting in some vinyl

Its hard to tell but that looks like it could be old subfloor rather than old floorboards. How bouncy is your floor? Can you see up from the basement to see if that is the subfloor or if you have another set of boards perpendicular to it?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

That Works posted:

I have an amana from... I dunno the mid nineties, it struggles to keep gas but the ice maker has never missed a beat. Had two Samsungs, ones maybe 7 years old no problems, the other's ice maker went loopy straight away but was replaced by an engineer at home under warranty, been fine since.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Its hard to tell but that looks like it could be old subfloor rather than old floorboards. How bouncy is your floor? Can you see up from the basement to see if that is the subfloor or if you have another set of boards perpendicular to it?

An 1840s construction home doesn't have "subfloor" unless this room was renoed to joists already.

In cheaper construction it was cheaper wood/wider cuts/more poorly finished, which is why you looked "poor" unless you had carpets. In some specific construction they actually used nice wood on the sides only with lovely wide plank in the middle because that's where you put the rug.

In all cases, this WAS the "subfloor" which wasn't a term because there was only one floor in the room.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 3, 2021

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Motronic posted:

An 1840s construction home doesn't have "subfloor" unless this room was renoed to joists already.

In cheaper construction it was cheaper wood/wider cuts/more poorly finished, which is why you looked "poor" unless you had carpets. In some specific construction they actually used nice wood on the sides only with lovely wide plank in the middle because that's where you put the rug.

In all cases, this WAS the "subfloor" which wasn't a term because there was only one floor in the room.

Weird, my 1850s house definitely has subfloors. And joists (true dimension 2x8s). Are you saying that when I sell my house I can list it as gut renovated? I guess they had to do a lot of work to retrofit the hyrdonic heat. How did framing work without joists?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Weird, my 1850s house definitely has subfloors. And joists (true dimension 2x8s). Are you saying that when I sell my house I can list it as gut renovated? I guess they had to do a lot of work to retrofit the hyrdonic heat. How did framing work without joists?

Let's take this piece by piece.....what part of the world are you in?

And I'm not sue what you mean by "How did framing work without joists?" It doesn't in "modern" construction even back then. I'm only talking about the number of layers of things on top of the joists here.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
I am in new england. Sorry I read "renod to joists" to mean renovated to add joists, not renovated down to the joists. But that would make a lot more sense. I'm just having a hard time imagining that what I have below my hardwood floors could have ever been the actual floors of this house...the rest of the remaining original details of the house are way too nice for this garbage to have been the actual floor.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Toebone posted:

Is that black thing the surface of the wood ? It kind of looks like black asphalt/mastic gets put under hardwood floors as a vapor barrier of sorts.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is that black thing the surface of the wood ? It kind of looks like black asphalt/mastic gets put under hardwood floors as a vapor barrier of sorts.

Pretty sure it's just painted wood, I chipped a little off with a screwdriver. It's more of a dark burgundy color than shows up in the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Enos Cabell posted:

too long for a thread title but I like it

I made it work