Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Twelve by Pies posted:

The specific callout of Daniel Pearl's wife in panel 3 is especially gross!

What the actual gently caress????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I always keep in mind an old post on The Hooded Utilitarian about Rall from 2007:

The Hooded Utilitarian posted:

[...]in his famous “Terror Widows” cartoon, Rall tried to call attention to the apparent hypocrisy of particular women, like Lisa Beamer, who parleyed the death of her spouse on 9/11 into lucrative media exposure. This is certainly explosive material, and Rall might have gotten flack for it anyway. The clincher, though, was that he never mentioned Beamer, or anyone else, by name. Instead, the cartoon reads as a vicious and arbitrary attack on anyone who lost a loved one on 9/11. In his introduction to this book, Rall acknowledges that he “should have referenced the original media whoring that had inspired the cartoon more carefully.” But he refuses to apologize, on the probably true but nonetheless irrelevant grounds that while “’Terror Widows wasn’t my best work…it was far from my worst.”

Rall’s refusal to back down here lends validity to the “rear end in a top hat” interpretation of his career. But the fact remains that in almost every case where his cartoons have caused a brouhaha, it’s because of his incompetence, not his malice. “New York City Fire Department 2011” was meant to be a light-hearted goof about the number of donations New Yorker’s made to the firefighters after 9/11. Thanks to Rall’s ham-fisted writing style, though, it is possible to see it as an attack on the firefighters’ morals — and many readers did. Even more telling is Rall’s bizarre cartoon comparing the U.S. to a school run by a mentally-handicapped student. The strip ran after the 2004 election, and Rall intended the handicapped student to be a stand-in for Bush — I think. But the allegory is tenuous. Instead, what really comes across is the image of the barfing, drooling retard, and Rall’s suggestion that the mentally handicapped should be locked away so the rest of us don’t have to see them.

Rall got lots of angry letters from parents of special needs kids, and this time he did apologize. “Looking back on it now, I probably wasn’t in the best frame of mind to work my high-wire act on a piece of Bristol board,” he muses. Check. But the real problem here isn’t that he made one mistake, or two mistakes. The real problem is that, with apologies to Mark Twain, Rall sees as through a glass eye, darkly. Aesthetically, I’m not automatically put off by confusion, opacity, or offensiveness for its own sake and, from that perspective, I can enjoy Rall as a kind of aphasiac dada experiment. But even if some art doesn’t need to be clear or pointed, surely editorial cartoons should be. That’s why Thomas Nast, who could communicate without words, is one of the masters of the genre. Ted Rall, on the other hand, often seems unable to communicate at all.

For reference, here's the cartoon with the handicapped student

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread request: Folks, I am trying to collate nominations for the Kelly cartoon awards and I've made a horrible discovery: the thread search function cannot parse text that is inside format tags, such as bolding.

:siren:Please go through any award nominations in this thread and un-bold any nominations text, especially the word "nomination". :siren:

I am going to have to manually inspect the 400+ page 2020 politoon thread. Nomination collection may be delayed.

Quite a few goons have little programs that can strip out all the posts in a thread and put them in a database. Might be worth seeking one out.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Valuable insight from Ted "gay people were cooler before same-sex marriage was legal because they were a scrappy oppressed group and now they're boring and normal" Rall!

My ex, a lesbian cis woman, sometimes said this. She bemoaned the loss of community which somehow didn't exist now that same sex marriage existed.

It was very weird.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

RoboRodent posted:

My ex, a lesbian cis woman, sometimes said this. She bemoaned the loss of community which somehow didn't exist now that same sex marriage existed.

It was very weird.

John Waters says this all the time. It’s okay for people who were part of the transgressive gay community of times past to say this in a way it’s very much not for Ted Rall.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Too soon.

RIP Larry King

Wait, how has no cartoonist made a “Larry King Dead” joke yet?

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread request: Folks, I am trying to collate nominations for the Kelly cartoon awards and I've made a horrible discovery: the thread search function cannot parse text that is inside format tags, such as bolding.

:siren:Please go through any award nominations in this thread and un-bold any nominations text, especially the word "nomination". :siren:

Yikes, it’s not just that thread I’m going to be going back through.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

It was very weird.

I think hipsterism, for lack of a better word, is just part of the human condition. I can't say I don't empathize with it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

It was very weird.

I can see how everything being codes and secret clubs and handshakes could lead to an increased sense of community, which would be less strong when you can just be open about being gay. But you still get decidedly gay/lesbian spaces, distinct (but not mandatory) cultures and such even with gay marriage and presumably even when being gay becomes fully accepted everywhere.

I'm also really not into gay culture, which made it difficult to date men in my youth. I simply didn't care for the "community" based on a, to me, not very important aspect of my identity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Other posted:

I always keep in mind an old post on The Hooded Utilitarian about Rall from 2007:

For reference, here's the cartoon with the handicapped student

Amazing attitude on display here in not just using the r-word to insult George Bush but straight-up calling special-needs students repulsive, subhuman obstacles to learning that don't belong around other people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nenonen posted:

No one regularly perusing this thread deserves happiness

The only thing we deserve is death. The rest we build, and it starts with a swamp, a hoe and a man. :black101:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DalaranJ posted:

Too soon.

RIP Larry King

Wait, how has no cartoonist made a “Larry King Dead” joke yet?

I think his death flew under a lot of radars because most people assume he died years ago.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Think we'll see any Dustin Diamond / Screech obit cartoons?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ted Rall posted:

“’Terror Widows wasn’t my best work…it was far from my worst.”

You don't say

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The_Other posted:

Graved by the bell! - Corner Kelly

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

David Pope is back from break:

Australia’s weak donation laws allowed $1bn in dark money to go to political parties over two decades (Guardian).
The yellow hippo is Clive Palmer: Clive Palmer's Mineralogy donates $75,000 to National Party amid disclosure typo confusion (ABC).

Rowe:

Scott Morrison gave a speech at the National Press Club where his section on climate policy was engineered to create headlines like this one: Morrison eyeing more ambitious climate target of net zero by 2050 (SMH). Note his actual statement was "Our goal is to reach net zero emissions as soon as possible, and preferably by 2050", i.e. worthless. The dinosaurs are Craig Kelly, Kevin Andrews and resource minister Matt Canavan. Kevin Andrews just lost pre-selection for his seat and therefore soon to be extinct.

Wilcox:

Scott Morrison absolutely did not act like that in the first panel towards COVID in the early weeks and it is infuriating so many people have rewritten their memories to think that he did.

Knight:

Eddie McGuire, president of the Collingwood AFL football team, commentator and radio/television presenter and game show host. Collingwood racism report findings a vindication for Héritier Lumumba and others who paid price for speaking up (ABC). Indigenous ex-Pie slams Collingwood’s response, McGuire refuses to quit (The Age).
Eddie McGuire is the most powerful man in AFL, which also makes him powerful in general especially in Melbourne, and he and his team had a series of racist incidents over the decades that he has always dodged, King Kong is a reference to one of these: Eddie McGuire apologises to Adam Goodes for King Kong comment but will not resign (ABC).

Spooner:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ignoring all the other poo poo here, why did he draw Pelosi brown?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

I am going to have to manually inspect the 400+ page 2020 politoon thread. Nomination collection may be delayed.
Lol what? Just when I think of that SA may be turning a corner and won’t be held together with toothpicks and bubblegum anymore, I hear something like that for the first time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Other posted:

Will Kelly put him in heaven or hell though? My guess is the American mourner looking on will own a copy of his sex tape, formerly sold on Screech’s own website.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Will Kelly put him in heaven or hell though? My guess is the American mourner looking on will own a copy of his sex tape, formerly sold on Screech’s own website.

Saved by the Hell.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh noooo

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Conflict, romance and tragedy in six panels!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia: First Dog on the Moon: Is Scott Morrison the luckiest prime minister of all time?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1356405249490247681

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

God I loving wish

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

I wonder when was the last time Stantis remembered that Winslow is the liberal stand-in.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll get right on that. :nallears:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Says the duck published in cartoons all across the USA!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I don't understand the left's desire for surgeons . . . don't they realize that knife crime is bad???

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

This is basically calmhitler.jpg. "I don't know why the left wants to censor calls for people of certain races to be genocided, or shame people who believe whites are the master race. I guess they've got a lot of growing up to do."

I will never not love that even among right wing political cartoonists Rob Smith Jr. is a complete outcast who almost never gets any likes/retweets/comments on his stuff.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

1) Calling you an rear end in a top hat and showing you the door isnt facism Ducky

2) The gently caress you goin on about Stantis?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I will never not love that even among right wing political cartoonists Rob Smith Jr. is a complete outcast who almost never gets any likes/retweets/comments on his stuff.

So we're saying SomethingAwful is almost literally his entire audience?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Twelve by Pies posted:

Contrast that with his number of followers.

You'd think he clearly paid for them.

Check out his stats. He's had a net LOSS of hundreds of followers in the past month.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 2, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
All that happened in the past month was twitter banning a bunch of nazis and a whole lot of nazi bots. Curious.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It seems to me that his main audience would be older conservative idiots, few of whom would use Twitter or other social media. I think his real audience is newspaper readers, and we don't get to see a lot of letters to the editor saying "drat straight the post office are obstructive!"

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just call him Junior and move on.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We need a stock "'Freedom of speech' has never meant 'right to a captive audience' or 'freedom from consequences of your speech'" image to spam at these people until they block us without any sense of self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Seems to me that the "heart of fascism" is marching down an American street chanting 'Jews will not replace us' and running a woman down with your car. But what do I know; I'm not a drunken syndicated hack.