Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

I hadn't been to a movie in all of 2019 I think but once its actually safe (lol) the wife and I are going to see something.

The last movie I saw in theaters was Loopers which was 9 years ago. I just find most movies from publicly owned companies to be such boring sure-thing money making sequels/prequels/etc that I'd rather be doing something else with my time. I'm also someone who is super easily irritated by people talking or visibly on their phones in movie theaters so I guess it's my own personal idiosyncrasies that make it less enjoyable for me. I also think a lot of this is because our generation is used to doing three things at once, watching something on one monitor while playing a game or something on another, to go to a theatre to just sit and watch some movie that's probably going to be boring trash seems like a waste of a few hours.

I could see in the next 5 years one of these companies just deciding to start streaming new movies on netflix or something and the entire house of cards collapses.

If people in this thread could watch new movies at home, would you go to theatres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Can someone demystify stock trading as a profession?
When someone works as a trader for a company are they really some ultra educated smart professional working for a 6 figure salary or are they simply just well connected white people? Like is everyone just flying by the seat of their pants and pretending they know what they're talking about?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

When someone works as a trader for a company are they really some ultra educated smart professional working for a 6 figure salary or are they simply just well connected white people? Like is everyone just flying by the seat of their pants and pretending they know what they're talking about?

:stonks:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

They're just financial professionals operating within a set of constraints relative to their trading specialty and the risk profile expressed by their managers. They know what they're talking about and to some extent at the highest levels with the largest portfolios they don't need to know what they're talking about because they're directly influencing the markets and making money off all the people who think they know what they're doing but don't.

Almost certainly most trading professionals are not white seeing as anyone internationally can and do trade on any market (usually American). I would expect most professional traders are Asian if that's so important to you as to inquire about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tangy yet delightful posted:

Put the Fidelity app on my phone and turns out you have to login every single time so that's annoying as gently caress. I don't want to do the fingerprint login option. I mean I'm work from home so I'll just desktop trade and not do poo poo on the couch I guess but it is annoying.

Looking forward to the new stock(?), or is it just SPACs(?) thread about to be posted.

The app is an all around turd

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

The last movie I saw in theaters was Loopers which was 9 years ago. I just find most movies from publicly owned companies to be such boring sure-thing money making sequels/prequels/etc that I'd rather be doing something else with my time. I'm also someone who is super easily irritated by people talking or visibly on their phones in movie theaters so I guess it's my own personal idiosyncrasies that make it less enjoyable for me. I also think a lot of this is because our generation is used to doing three things at once, watching something on one monitor while playing a game or something on another, to go to a theatre to just sit and watch some movie that's probably going to be boring trash seems like a waste of a few hours.

I could see in the next 5 years one of these companies just deciding to start streaming new movies on netflix or something and the entire house of cards collapses.

If people in this thread could watch new movies at home, would you go to theatres?

I would and will 100% go see action movies in theaters. Some films are just a lot better on a 50 foot screen.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

FCKGW posted:

Still lollin' at KOSS being up 10x as a meme but still staying there a week later

kinda wish i got in on them, i actually really like their speakers and headphones

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They cleared their debt and their stock was upgraded to $20/share.

AMC went into the pandemic some $5 billion in debt, they're liquid enough to stick around for now but still have a long climb back to stability.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Sold all my GME at as $880 loss. I was one of the idiots that bought in at the ~300 range. Can’t see it recovering from what it closed at today.

We made history, boys.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Kraftwerk posted:

Analysts usually cover a couple of companies or a narrow sector. They'll be on earnings calls and ask questions to try to get a narrow edge on forecasting forward earnings. They'll come up with an expected price target.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If I were looking to start another company now for after the crisis I'd look into starting a cinema which only shows 'classic' films (i.e. those which are 5+ years old). Nostalgia, plus the low fees to show them, and you can capture all of those people who never got to see Empire Strikes Back / Alien / Godfather Pt II / The Red Shoes in the cinema, and have only seen it on VHS/DVD/BluRay.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Space Fish posted:

AMC went into the pandemic some $5 billion in debt, they're liquid enough to stick around for now but still have a long climb back to stability.

AMC as a theater chain loving blows. In markets with actual competition, I'd never choose AMC.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hamburlgar posted:

Sold all my GME at as $880 loss. I was one of the idiots that bought in at the ~300 range. Can’t see it recovering from what it closed at today.

We made history, boys.

I sold my GME for about $880 profit! I'm just messin it was about 700

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
It was nice not having to worry about meme stocks all day. Just checked for end-of-day and, uh Virgin Galactic announced some poo poo today it seems :getin:

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Do people use 3rd party software for looking up stocks? I have a Vanguard account which is perfectly fine for actually executing trades but lacks in ease of use for getting information.

curious about this as well since I'm moving my robinhood account over to vanguard once everything settles. was just gonna install the iOS stocks app but it'd be nice to have an equivalent on the pc.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

djfooboo posted:

This whole thing is nutters. On the bright side my wife has finally agreed to let me do a little trading with discretionary income instead of wasting away in a savings account.

Any good YouTube’s to explain some of this moon language like puts, options, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJgHkAqohbU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Wells posted:

curious about this as well since I'm moving my robinhood account over to vanguard once everything settles. was just gonna install the iOS stocks app but it'd be nice to have an equivalent on the pc.

I use Yahoo Finance since it seems to update frequently and have a good featureset, but it seems like there ought to be something better out there.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah GME leveling off is neither a rocket ship nor a meteor slamming into the ground, this theme park sucks

There is a time for waterslides and there is a time for the lazy river, friend.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well if you’re feeling slightly down for any reason today....not mine obviously.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

AMC as a theater chain loving blows. In markets with actual competition, I'd never choose AMC.
That's the real issue. Most newer theaters have on-demand wing and beer delivery, which is basically the only way to enjoy yourself at one since it's been over 15 years since a good film was released.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
/u/DeepFuckingValue is still holding onto GME, down $5mm today.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Hamburlgar posted:

We made history, boys.

Some factors to consider:

Lots of calls have expired.
Rest of the world joining in.
Once people have gotten money into non-RH accounts they are no longer artifically restricted from buying.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last movie I saw was, ironically enough, Friday The 13th Part V at a special screen. Honestly considering how massive messed and ridiculous up everything got...it was a very optimized pick for last theatrical film I’ve seen.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Reclining leather seats

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

They're just financial professionals operating within a set of constraints relative to their trading specialty and the risk profile expressed by their managers. They know what they're talking about and to some extent at the highest levels with the largest portfolios they don't need to know what they're talking about because they're directly influencing the markets and making money off all the people who think they know what they're doing but don't.

Almost certainly most trading professionals are not white seeing as anyone internationally can and do trade on any market (usually American). I would expect most professional traders are Asian if that's so important to you as to inquire about it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/wal...%20or%20Latino.

No need to be obtuse since I'm sure they are talking about who makes up the workforce on wall street in the great united states of america. Now yeah this thread probably isn't the one to discuss the inequities inherent in the overall system but acting like other countries employing people different from who is employed within america as some kind of gotcha isn't useful to the discussion either.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

drunken officeparty posted:

Reclining leather seats

Alamo Drafthouse IPO when :colbert:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

AMC also does.

Don't know much about AMC specifically but I'm not very confident in the entire concept of movie theatres surviving many years longer, with or without COVID. I'd rather throw my money in one of the streaming services instead (after the coming crash of course).
Especially now that a lot of people have come to realize that watching a movie at home is just as nice, even better. People are now used to staying indoors for movies and it works well.

Celexi posted:

Nokia seems to be doing well

Now this is a company I'm much more confident in. Not sure why it was meming last week but NOK still has the potential for a slow rise to the top the coming years. Anything under 5 bucks seems like a good entry point.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

The ones near me in D.C. are pretty consistently great. Give me leather recliners and a bar and I'll patronize any chain though.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

iSurrender posted:

Lots of calls have expired.

I think that was supposed to result in the gamma squeeze and...nothing happened.

quote:

Rest of the world joining in.

The hype has flatlined since Thursday when people were booking billboards and hiring prop planes to mock Robinhood. Everyone knows what GME is now and they just saw it lose 25% today.

quote:

Once people have gotten money into non-RH accounts they are no longer artifically restricted from buying.

RH was letting people buy up to 20 shares today and the price went down. I don't think most RH users were using up that capacity.

I don't mean to jump down your throat but these aren't things to be hopeful for.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The big comfy recliners are already pretty standard here in CA for awhile now. All the cinemark theaters have them too.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
JFC this thread moves fast now

Edit: my only position right now is IPOF calls and shares. Chamath is my candy man.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kraftwerk posted:

There are many, many financial analysis tools to rely on that take a lot of man hours to adequately and completely determine if an investment is worth doing, and the vast vast majority of this data is obsolete almost immediately. And then, beyond that, there are nearly insurmountable systemic risks. Importantly, there are a billion different ways to work in finance: real estate, banks, funds, financial data, fintech.

A financial professional on wall street, in any event, will generally be people doing some form of analysis or are some form of a broker (salesman). Or they run the place. Or they're given a certain amount of leeway in a make-it-or-break-it way as a trader. To a man they did well in school in math/finance/compsci and the big boys went to a good school where they did well and/or are stupid well-connected.

The broker/salesmen are sometimes referred to as "front office" and will have an excellent ability to understand finance but their day will mostly be spent identifying things to buy/sell and then convincing people to do that, making a commission in the process-- shmoozing clients, procuring drugs, etc. --They have a wide range of titles that rarely, if ever, say anything related to brokering/sales. They also make stupid high amounts of money, but generally these people come from well-connected families/networks and were going to be rich anyways.

The analysts (generally. While there are analysts they also have a billion titles and responsibilities. Quants, for example, are more analysts than brokers). Sometimes referred to as "back office", they are the workhorses, who end up identifying good things to buy or sell (stocks are a small part of finance, actually). Or setting price targets. Or building an algorithm. Or anything other than dealing with people. They'll usually end up generating some report on some company that will get decided on by their superiors who do a meta analysis, who will then talk to their clients/brokers, and determine whether or not they want to invest in the thing or not. Because of the nature of data in financial markets, you'll see analysts working long weeks, burning out, killing themselves, retreating to alcohol/drugs/sex, because they are grinding constantly. By design.

The traders try to synthesize data they get from analysts and make trading decisions under the restrictions of their employer. They might be a part of a team, identifying things for a head trader to do, or they're given a certain amount of money and are fired/censured if they gently caress up. Note, a lot of financial firms don't directly trade. They might just sell data. Or they're a bunch of brokers selling financial products for a commission. Or whatever. But in the event they're trading, they're probably working for a hedge fund. The hedge fund identifies how it trades, and why and they train traders to do so-- like a fund that only does tech or something stupid. Or whatever, hedge funds do anything. A lot of them do a lot of things, like real estate and bonds and stocks. The data produced is usually top notch because they grind analysts night and day to produce reports on poo poo so the traders can do what they do. They also generally have access to very favorable terms and insider knowledge, depending on who is at the firm. Finance is very incestuous.

So you want to trade. You're looking at data that the analysts have already torn apart and made a buy/sell recommendation. They have computers rip into all internet data and produce reports or just trade directly based on it. If Trump tweets a company name, they'd trade on it within milliseconds. Brokers have identified larger trends and have made millions selling the data, the financial product, or something else entirely to insiders that they do drugs with. Or established names. They all are the most qualified people to do these things in the most lucrative financial market in the world, are working constantly, and are working together. So an individual in Missouri or whatever has no chance of outperforming them on that front. Which is why, for most people, it's gambling. But for the people on wall street it's cold, brutal workplaces and constant, exhausting grinds producing and synthesizing data for already-rich sociopaths. The only reason they do it is for more money or whatever status-seeking thing they're up to.

It's not that wall street is doing things nobody else ever could. Well, maybe quants and a handful of funds like RenTech. But what Wall Street is doing, is paying the most capable financial minds in the world stupid amounts of money to work their asses off to an absurd extent, directly killing an absurd amount of them via suicide and overdoses, and expending every effort and resource possible for any edge they can have over their competitors, which includes everyone else in the entire stock market or whatever market they're in, and usually the US government. Even with billions and trillions of dollars they also usually end up losing money in the stock market if they're an active fund anyways. American finance as an institution was built upon slave labor, too, which is a whole other layer of evil.

Never forget that Wall Street will win ultimately. American finance is a bought-and-paid-for system, and it is insurmountable so long as money motivates action. What we do here (generally) is identify things that most people might not be aware of, or identifying things that funds already do and do those things. Or identify situations that will probably prompt action. But at the end of the day it's mostly gambling. But there are some close-to-sure-bets you can feel confident in. AAPL, for example, will probably perform very well in the next 30 years.

Off wall street you mostly have banks and financial advisors and funds of varying quality. They mostly just explain what's happening on wall street to other people for a fee (like by recommending index funds, etc) or offer other forms of financial services.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 1, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Alamo Drafthouse IPO when :colbert:

I'll go to an Alamo every time over any other theater. Pre-roll, plus talking/phone policy, decent food and drink, reasonable pricing & rewards makes it a no brainer. But I'll also choose a Regal, or any local theater if I can over an AMC.

In a good theater market (like mine in NYC), reclining leather seats are like minimum bar to entry.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The big comfy recliners are already pretty standard here in CA for awhile now. All the cinemark theaters have them too.

Honestly I kind of prefer that to the booze and hot food. There was a UA in PA which had the hot food (no booze last time I was there which was a while), but not recliner seats. It was weird. Obviously both are great, but man I love those recliner seats.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Cinemark is WAY better.

But being honest I tend to prefer smaller niche theaters that play niche films. Unfortunately, those are becoming harder and hard to come by.

EDIT - Come to think of it, Regal is the best big theater chain. I've never been to Alamo since there aren't any theaters where I live.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 1, 2021

naughty joystick
Jun 6, 2011

Popete posted:

Do people use 3rd party software for looking up stocks? I have a Vanguard account which is perfectly fine for actually executing trades but lacks in ease of use for getting information.

I keep an Ameritrade account open (but don’t use it to trade) specifically so I can use thinkorswim’s scan feature which is really nice when you want to get notified whenever stocks hit certain parameters (net change in price, bid/ask, medical stocks with >10000 in volume etc ) there’s also preset lists that are nice to get an overview of potential plays if you don’t have any concrete ideas.

They also have paper trading so you can test out the market without real money involved

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'll go to an Alamo every time over any other theater. Pre-roll, plus talking/phone policy, decent food and drink, reasonable pricing & rewards makes it a no brainer. But I'll also choose a Regal, or any local theater if I can over an AMC.

In a good theater market (like mine in NYC), reclining leather seats are like minimum bar to entry.

I really hope Alamo makes it through the pandemic because I never want to go to a different movie theater. They do everything right.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Popete posted:

I'm on Vanguard too and only use it for executing trades. I like Tradingview for looking up stocks since it's compatible on my PC and iphone. It's a bit overwhelming at first but if you ignore all the technical stuff and just want to look up prices/trends it works great.

If you're messing with options, Robinhood is very good for looking up Greeks, IV, etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm willing to not have beer + food delivered to me at a theater if it means I don't have to deal with staff delivering poo poo to people around me in a theater during a movie or people talking to their friends about what to order during a movie or drunk people being obnoxious during a movie. I can't be alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

KirbyKhan posted:

This poo poo is boring today. I was promised BLOOD