Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Baculus posted:

I have a serious blind spot for players in this situation - and I don't even really know how to help them given how unsafe 1DQ/M2 are rn

I think I was broke as gently caress until I started running 3/4 accounts

Yeah, I'm trying to get started again but the days of running 4-6 accounts for several hours per night are gone for me, and it feels like cash is hard to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

L0cke17 posted:

Same, but titan ratting. Titan 1 I built myself, titan 2 I bought by ratting in titan 1. Dualboxing titan ratting was the best money just about possible in the game at the time and it was great. I think my best hour was on the order of 2.1bil cash, and it was so easy to do.

When the killed it with the bfg nerf I had the cash to buy 2 more hulls but wanted to build up a deeper dread cache so I bought like 12 dreads and a bunch of faxes and carriers instead of a titan. Now with incomes nerfed and titans through the roof pricewise I'll never have a levi or a bus :(

E: and my dreads just sit in 1dq every big fight never undocking. Meanwhile I apparently should have been buying extra supers because my super pilot gets used all the time

It is clearer and clearer that I missed a truly decadent era the past few years. Here I was thinking the fast constant ticks one can get in the combat anoms were pretty good. :smith:

Pie in the Sky posted:

I used to play EVE back in 07/08, but haven't touched it since then. Figured I might pick it up and see if playing with goons this time around would make it more fun. I sent in a new member application to newbies@, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Will my app get tossed because I look like a spy or something? My SA account was inactive from 2009 till like December/January when I came back and started posting again, but I just realized after I sent in my app that this might look very suspicious? Definitely not a spy, but wouldn't really know how to prove that :shrug:

Welcome, fellow spy. :v: Really, you just have to leave it to judgment; if your posting seems suspicious, you'll get the boot, if your corp history is suspicious, you'll get rejected, otherwise you'll be in. Just have to wait and see.

quote:

2) Is it possible to play EVE 'casually' in its current state? How involved do I have to be to have fun with it nowadays?

As people pointed out, absolutely possible. It's a bit hard to "make money" in Delve right now courtesy of the ever-raging hellwar, but if you ask for a simple ship for an op to get rolling, people absolutely can get you going and contributing even in huge hellwar fleets if you choose. And there's literally dozens of special interest groups (SIGs) that cater to every playstyle.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

coelomate posted:

There's a real ceiling for "I have 0 or 1 alts and want to live in nullsec" income potential right now, and I don't think it's healthy.

Oh hey that's me. Thankfully, generous goons gave me lotta isk :v:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 1, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

coelomate posted:

There's a real ceiling for "I have 0 or 1 alts and want to live in nullsec" income potential right now, and I don't think it's healthy.

Baculus posted:

I have a serious blind spot for players in this situation - and I don't even really know how to help them given how unsafe 1DQ/M2 are rn

I think I was broke as gently caress until I started running 3/4 accounts

I'm... managing to make it work as a single player, more or less, at least so far; the only alt I want/am thinking of getting into GF and running is my cyno/old-school Curse alt. This is partially through doing things I think some might have considered a bit silly or unwise :v: but even after wasting hundreds of millions hurfing around with my carrier, learning some things, and mercifully not getting blown up but insuring it needlessly, I've once again got a fairly decent amount of money that can be used for outfitting additional combat vessels, and those at least will be covered by SRP so I can throw myself, without fear or hesitation, into the very face of death itself. :black101: Once I finish the skill training for the current doctrine ships. :v:

That said, I'm managing to "make it work"... in the context of staying subbed via real money. The dream of sustaining Omega via ISK is a much, much harder road to hoe if I also want to get any new ships and new toys and try new things, at least with my current potential income. When I hear about people with an army of alts raking in money even in wartime, it does feel a bit like "okay, pay CCP $120 to get things started" and I make a bit of a frowny face.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

SpaceDrake posted:

Welcome, fellow spy. :v: Really, you just have to leave it to judgment; if your posting seems suspicious, you'll get the boot, if your corp history is suspicious, you'll get rejected, otherwise you'll be in. Just have to wait and see.

As people pointed out, absolutely possible. It's a bit hard to "make money" in Delve right now courtesy of the ever-raging hellwar, but if you ask for a simple ship for an op to get rolling, people absolutely can get you going and contributing even in huge hellwar fleets if you choose. And there's literally dozens of special interest groups (SIGs) that cater to every playstyle.

Word, thank you! It's nice to know it's a little more inviting for the casual player now.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Looks like the war is going bad again

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Now maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but if your game requires players running multiple accounts to make any amount of reasonable ingame money then maybe that game isn't very well balanced. :ccp:

I know I sure as poo poo don't want to gently caress around with more than one account, or even more than one character. I don't have time for that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

zegermans posted:

Seems fine to me

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

zegermans posted:

did i miss something somewhere

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

zegermans posted:

It's about as bad as it's been for the last... nine months?

We lost the M2- ihub on Sunday. That was the big PAPI objective; if we had continued to hold it, we would have been able to put cyno jammers in M2, which would have made the Titan hellcamp more effective.

However, losing the M2 ihub doesn't actually change the state of the war. TEST owned it and had cyno jammers in place, when Vily chose to welp a hundred titans. When the hellcamp began, we took the ihub, but never got jammers down. So, TEST taking it back doesn't change the hellcamp situation, for at least another month; even if they hold it for that month and put down cyno jammers, okay, we're back to December 2020.

So. Sunday was a bit of morale boost of them, and god knows they need it. But in terms of the war's progress, it's pretty much same as December, but now with less confidence on the PAPI side. (Vily's gone on record in some recent podcasts that he does not expect to dislodge us from 1DQ.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

zegermans posted:

Papi is attempting now what they intended to do a month ago, which is establish control over northern Delve. They're also more formally claiming the systems in the Aridia pipe, which have been behind the enemy front line (established at T5Z) ever since December. They did this by throwing absolutely every dude they have at us yesterday, and as a result their own space is on fire (with a couple coalition members now genuinely faltering) and they've spent weeks of time and trillions of ISK just to try and accomplish this one objective. Meanwhile Helm's Deep remains unbreached (which is like 24 star systems in central/south Delve with multiple fallback locations) and 1DQ gets harassed constantly but the true war there hasn't started yet.

This is still the stuff that Papi was supposed to accomplish - and that GF was willing to concede - a month ago. M2- has a lot of Spiritual Value™ to us now, I suspect, but the fact was that it was always a vanity keepstar that fell behind enemy lines early due to the curious stellar geography of Delve. It was originally considered a write-off. That it has slowed down Papi to this extent — and allowed huge portions of Legacy space to be put to the flame and for Frat to suddenly be facing More Hellwar in their home sectors — is more than could ever possibly have been realistically asked of one little keepstar that a dude built because he wanted to build a keepstar for his bros.

And there is no way in hell we're letting it die without one of the most epic space battles in the history of the universe.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

It's about as bad as it's been for the last... nine months?

We lost the M2- ihub on Sunday. That was the big PAPI objective; if we had continued to hold it, we would have been able to put cyno jammers in M2, which would have made the Titan hellcamp more effective.

However, losing the M2 ihub doesn't actually change the state of the war. TEST owned it and had cyno jammers in place, when Vily chose to welp a hundred titans. When the hellcamp began, we took the ihub, but never got jammers down. So, TEST taking it back doesn't change the hellcamp situation, for at least another month; even if they hold it for that month and put down cyno jammers, okay, we're back to December 2020.

So. Sunday was a bit of morale boost of them, and god knows they need it. But in terms of the war's progress, it's pretty much same as December, but now with less confidence on the PAPI side. (Vily's gone on record in some recent podcasts that he does not expect to dislodge us from 1DQ.)

Noob question: how did we get capitals in if there were cyno jammers?

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
The Little Keepstar That Could.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

There is a small window inbetween the jammer being merely "onlined" and "active" - this window is affected by time dilation.

A 2 month old goon pilot flew his interceptor into the sun and got some shots off on the jammer, in between when it was "onlined" and activated, which put it into "repairing" for 10-15 minutes (x 10 as we were under TiDi) which meant it needed to fully repair before it could be activated, allowing us like an hour of jumping.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SHISHKABOB posted:

a few month old newbie managed to pause one of the jammers while it was onlining iirc e;fb

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Actually, that's worth talking about.

So, let's assume that Vily is right (haha) and that Goons can hold 1DQ indefinitely, barring some monumental drop in our finances or FC availability. In that case, what is TEST's desired end-game, then?

PAPI can only effectively contest Delve while they've got a numbers advantage... but only TEST and BRAVE have stated any interest in staying here long-term. PH/NC/FRT still consider this war to be a temporary deployment (for however long "temporary" means after nine months). If any of those groups depart for any length of time, especially in EUTZ, the remaining folks are instantly outnumbered and living next to an angry hive.

PH/NC are pretty much just here for the fights, but TEST/BRAVE have effectively burned the ships. If they start heading back to their former home, they know we're going to immediately come after them without even waiting to rebuild Delve first. If they instead say "good enough" and try to settle PB/Querious/Southern Delve? Well, they're next door to some fuckin furious neighbors that can outnumber them in EUTZ, and I'm not sure what they can do about it short of Getting The Gang Back Together.

I'm just legit curious why Vily would choose to move the goalposts, because it seems to me that any outcome where Goons hold 1DQ against the whole of PAPI eventually leads to rough times for TEST. Hell, even if you assume that Vily is wrong and 1DQ falls, it's not like Goons are going to disappear.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 1, 2021

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Otacon posted:

There is a small window inbetween the jammer being merely "onlined" and "active" - this window is affected by time dilation.

A 2 month old goon pilot flew his interceptor into the sun and got some shots off on the jammer, in between when it was "onlined" and activated, which put it into "repairing" for 10-15 minutes (x 10 as we were under TiDi) which meant it needed to fully repair before it could be activated, allowing us like an hour of jumping.

Oh yeah!! gently caress yeah

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The newbee forcing the jammer into repair is peak "every pilot matters" and is like heroin to me. Inject that poo poo straight into my veins.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Otacon posted:

I believe another goon hero did that yet again after the first timer ended, allowing another round of jumping. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

SHISHKABOB posted:

The newbro who shot the cyno jammer in the anchoring phase and delayed the jammer by 15 more minutes gave us all the time we needed to get our poo poo in system.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

rocketrobot posted:

I believe another goon hero did that yet again after the first timer ended, allowing another round of jumping. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was in Havish's fleet - he and Asher (iirc) were sending any interceptors in their fleets to the jammers at specific timings so the ceptors would land and be able to lock the jammers within 1-2 seconds of them being onlined. If we sent 3-4 at a time, all it took was 1 pilot actually putting out damage before being blapped. If it happened multiple times I would not be surprised!

After that, Papi would cycle the jammer when they wanted reinforcements - which under TiDi gave us plenty of time to counter-reinforce.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Actually, that's worth talking about.

So, let's assume that Vily is right (haha) and that Goons can hold 1DQ indefinitely, barring some monumental drop in our finances or FC availability. In that case, what is TEST's desired end-game, then?

PAPI can only effectively contest Delve while they've got a numbers advantage... but only TEST and BRAVE have stated any interest in staying here long-term. PH/NC/FRT still consider this war to be a temporary deployment (for however long "temporary" means after nine months). If any of those groups depart for any length of time, especially in EUTZ, the remaining folks are instantly outnumbered and living next to an angry hive.

PH/NC are pretty much just here for the fights, but TEST/BRAVE have effectively burned the ships. If they start heading back to their former home, they know we're going to immediately come after them without even waiting to rebuild Delve first. If they instead say "good enough" and try to settle PB/Querious/Southern Delve? Well, they're next door to some fuckin furious neighbors that can outnumber them in EUTZ, and I'm not sure what they can do about it short of Getting The Gang Back Together.

I'm just legit curious why Vily would choose to move the goalposts, because it seems to me that any outcome where Goons hold 1DQ against the whole of PAPI eventually leads to rough times for TEST. Hell, even if you assume that Vily is wrong and 1DQ falls, it's not like Goons are going to disappear.

I mean what else is there to do eve aside from delve at the moment? What reason do NC./PL have to leave? Unless they welp their entire super fleet I think realistically they stay until we lose our keepstars at a minimum

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This talk reminds me that I have to figure out some minmatar ceptor fits.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

SpaceDrake posted:

. :black101: Once I finish the skill training for the current doctrine ships. :v:

A wize-man once said, no one can tell from your killmail if a module is online or not. :ssh:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Dalael posted:

A wize-man once said, no one can tell from your killmail if a module is online or not. :ssh:

banned from SRP forever

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That's what I do with drones on supports -- e.g. with doctrine Vigil I can either spend another month training up drones and drone support skills, or ignore the mighty ... ... ... fighter sw-300 :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I'M READY TO gently caress.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Most people lose all their drones after the first encounter when they get fleet warped anyway.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I got my dividend payment today :v: the system works

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I liken the clouds of drones left behind after a fleet warp to the hairpins floating in a cloud of dust after Witch Hazel exists stage left at speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntD-CVQKqpE

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Dalael posted:

I get instantly primaried whenever I fly a Scimitar, so my modules rarely get activated for more than a few minutes anyways. :P

Speaking of which, our SRP folks are absurdly fast. During Sunday's brawl, I'd literally get paid before my pod had finished dying in tidi, so it was "buy new ship before I've even gotten back to station" levels of efficient meatgrinding. Ships really are ammo.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

I mean what else is there to do eve aside from delve at the moment? What reason do NC./PL have to leave? Unless they welp their entire super fleet I think realistically they stay until we lose our keepstars at a minimum

This is partly true, but also a really succinct condemnation of CCP's stewardship of nullsec economics :P

I say "partly" because I suspect 1DQ is a special case due to both 1) being our HQ with multiple keepstars on the same grid, and 2) the legacy positioning for its iHub making it extraordinarily hard to attack. That grid is a guaranteed meatgrinder unlike nearly anything else in Eve.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Pie in the Sky posted:

2) Is it possible to play EVE 'casually' in its current state? How involved do I have to be to have fun with it nowadays?

Hi, I'm a page late, but This was basically me two weeks ago. It took a bit to process my app, I weekend warrior for a few hours, then go back to real life.

In a week of reading the forums and sitting in comms, I have not seen anyone expecting me to alarm clock or 23/7 this game.

If you're 17 and have no responsibilities, go nuts. if you have family or work, you politely excuse yourself from fleet, and people thank you for showing and move on.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Welp, I got help participate in shredding a billion+ isk worth of fighters for virtually no fighter losses and only a few bubbles on our end, so I'm satisfied.

Every ihub in the M2 constellation has now been glassed, but the other systems are mostly My Morale and the loss of any possible ratting or what have you in north Delve. In the worst possible case we have 34 days before a hostile M2- cynojammer goes up, and we have all the time in the world to stage the necessary dudes here to contest whatever needs contesting.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MRC48B posted:

Hi, I'm a page late, but This was basically me two weeks ago. It took a bit to process my app, I weekend warrior for a few hours, then go back to real life.

In a week of reading the forums and sitting in comms, I have not seen anyone expecting me to alarm clock or 23/7 this game.

If you're 17 and have no responsibilities, go nuts. if you have family or work, you politely excuse yourself from fleet, and people thank you for showing and move on.

Same. I’ve made it to a few fights. Hell Sunday night I was playing D&D and hitting targets of opportunity in my dictor.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I understand everyone hates goons so they wouldnt want to help us, but why tf hasnt some small ragtag 40man corp/alliance tried to snag a few systems off of PH? Seems like a pretty sure thing you could get those systems for at least a few months and probably make your money back on anything you take from the structures that die.

maybe my misconception is null systems = money.

But even if you dont setup any of your own systems, or try to claim any, I would think youd be pretty safe in the far away north east regions that PH owns while the entire alliance is committed to delve.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 2, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I understand everyone hates goons so they wouldnt want to help us, but why tf hasnt some small ragtag 40man corp/alliance tried to snag a few systems off of PH? Seems like a pretty sure thing you could get those systems for at least a few months and probably make your money back on anything you take from the structures that die.

maybe my misconception is null systems = money.

But even if you dont setup any of your own systems, or try to claim any, I would think youd be pretty safe in the far away north east regions that PH owns while the entire alliance is committed to delve.

Probably one of two reasons.

A) While phorde/ncdot are absent, FRAT are not. Even if a ragtag group of people takes space from phorde, FRAT is going to come in and swallow it up soon after. Not a lot of motivation to do so.
2] There really aren't that many unaligned nullsec players. They're either with us or the blue donut.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So that guy that welped his titan via a hostile fleet warp is no longer in GSF. Did he get booted or quit?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if you check his zkillboard he has like 5 kills. ever.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ded posted:

if you check his zkillboard he has like 5 kills. ever.

That’s not that rare if it was an old titan sitter who became a main, which I’ll bet a fair number of titan pilots today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Floppychop posted:

So that guy that welped his titan via a hostile fleet warp is no longer in GSF. Did he get booted or quit?

He did an incredibly stupid thing for someone sitting in such an important ship. The jump vs cannon thing I understand, as the ui could fix this in a hurry but :ccp:. Taking a random fleet invite in a titan seems ... peak stupid. He either quit in shame, won eve when freed from his titan coffin, or was booted for being top tier dumb. All 3 reasons are good reasons.