Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

reminds me of the sinking horror i felt at realizing the dhoulmagus fight wasn't meant to be unwinnable

Yeah it's a bit like that except with almost no story relevance so it just feels like an arbitrary difficulty spike out of nowhere.

Just about everything after that boss is more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

On the flipside I cannot remember the last time in an SMT game I said to myself "the problem with this fight is my stats are too low and the solution to winning is more stats"
As tired as the comparison is and as much as it may annoy some people, SMT is a lot like the Dark Souls series in that even when you fail, you rarely feel like the game just wasn't giving you a fair chance. There's nearly always something that you could, in retrospect, have done better. It's rarely a pure matter of numbers against numbers in the way fights in many other JRPGs often are, and I think that's a big part of what makes the series so popular.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Khanstant posted:

Is there a procedurally generated Roguelike turn-based-menu-combat jRPG yet?

Would Steamworld Heist count?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

For the record that is possibly my least favorite boss in all of Dragon Quest XI, it was just so frustrating to fight and I hated it.

I didn't play on hard mode but I might've quit there too if I did.

This is kind of my issue with the design philosophy of the game as a whole. I was just doing the regular hard mode, not any of the other challenges like "no buying things" or "you can't wear armor." Neither of those things make me think about the ways I'm going to have to change my playstyle, they make me think "DQ is a game where your stats NEED to be at a certain level to win fights, this is just going to increase the amount of grinding I need to do."

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

xedo posted:

Trails in the sky/cold steel
Tales of the abyss on 3ds, tales of hearts r on vita.
Monster hunter stories
Bravely default, second.
World ends with you for something not turn based.

Feel like these are the better jrpgs I've played that aren't named final fantasy or persona.

tales of hearts r is a good time, i've been slowly working through it. not particularly ambitious on the storytelling front but the characters are all fun and have funny dynamics with each other. also beryl benito is a painter witch and that is a very powerful concept

tales of berseria is a must for any jrpg fan imo

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I'll say that with regards to SMT depth, let's flip the scenario and look at a different game - DQ11 and the fight that made me quit, the desert scorpion boss. I tried the fight like ten times and couldn't get the boss into red health, so I wasn't within striking distance of a win - he was just dealing too much damage for me to keep up with, and once a party member dies it's pretty much over. I look at the skill grid and think, no I've got the best build I could be using. Check my weapons, no, I've got the best weapons I've got access to right now. Same with armor. Basically, all that left me with was grinding levels to get high enough stats to win the fight. After consulting the DQ11 hard mode speedrun, yes, I was below the level they fight it at. Instead of grind, I just quit the game.

On the flipside I cannot remember the last time in an SMT game I said to myself "the problem with this fight is my stats are too low and the solution to winning is more stats"

tbh this reads to me less like dq11 is grindy and more like it has a badly designed hard mode. i haven't had to grind in any dq besides the first two unless trying to fight an optional superboss (and quickly thinking of better uses for my time). does the speed run just sit there and grind for a bit?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tepid take but grinding is bad and if you force players to do it your battle system lacks options or your leveling curve needs work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

ff5 ancient cave has existed for Years

This sounds pretty cool actually, interesting job system for a roguelike too.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Looper posted:

tbh this reads to me less like dq11 is grindy and more like it has a badly designed hard mode. i haven't had to grind in any dq besides the first two unless trying to fight an optional superboss (and quickly thinking of better uses for my time). does the speed run just sit there and grind for a bit?

Yes it does - the split is titled (Grind #1 - Hero Level 16) and it lasts generally a full hour, where they just grind for the Slayer of Sands fight. Raw stats are SUPER important in DQ games - I just finished Monsters and literally the most important factor in choosing a team is raw stat gain. There's a ton of skills in the game you can pass down and combine and monster fusion and equipment and absolutely none of that matters because no skills are worth using if your monsters don't have around 350 base attack and defense

I read the LP in the archive to see what the postgame content was like and it's funny because the player passes right by the most effective monster in the game, the Beetleboy, because "he doesn't have any good skills." Meanwhile every single guide for the game reads something like "recruit two beetleboys and fuse them together, then do it again and use two beetleboys in your final party to beat the game their stat gain is NUTS" and yeah as soon as I fused two random encounter enemies together I just clowned the rest of the game up through the final boss.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 2, 2021

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Hylics 2 (you do not need to have played hylics 1)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yes it does - the split is titled (Grind #1 - Hero Level 16) and it lasts generally a full hour, where they just grind for the Slayer of Sands fight. Raw stats are SUPER important in DQ games - I just finished Monsters and literally the most important factor in choosing a team is raw stat gain. There's a ton of skills in the game you can pass down and combine and monster fusion and equipment and absolutely none of that matters because no skills are worth using if your monsters don't have around 350 base attack and defense

I read the LP in the archive to see what the postgame content was like and it's funny because the player passes right by the most effective monster in the game, the Beetleboy, because "he doesn't have any good skills." Meanwhile every single guide for the game reads something like "recruit two beetleboys and fuse them together, then do it again and use two beetleboys in your final party to beat the game their stat gain is NUTS" and yeah as soon as I fused two random encounter enemies together I just clowned the rest of the game up through the final boss.

that speedrun sounds miserable! and just makes me even less interested in jrpg hard modes outside of fire emblem

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Khanstant posted:

Is there a procedurally generated Roguelike turn-based-menu-combat jRPG yet?

I just remembered Lufia 2's Ancient Cave

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i just finished smt3 on hard mode and spent the first third of the game getting randomly sent back to the title screen by bad dice rolls. it happened less often after that but sometimes beelzebub just decides to do his almighty attack twice and whoops it hits for more than half everyone's hp both times

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
welp ys 9 is getting shipped to me tomorrow, guess now's as good a time as any to play through all of the previous games before i even touch it :shepface:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was really liking YS8 up until the part where it became a JRPG and featured prophesies and time travel and ancient evil and was like man this sucks I wanna go back to the part where I need to gather wood to make a tray to collect rainwater

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just play felghana imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was really liking YS8 up until the part where it became a JRPG and featured prophesies and time travel and ancient evil and was like man this sucks I wanna go back to the part where I need to gather wood to make a tray to collect rainwater

Huge same. Island Adventure ruled and then I had to defeat the emodiement if evolution or something who even cares.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 2, 2021

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
In hylics 2 every encounter stays dead forever, you couldn't even really grind if you wanted to, not that there is even experience or levels.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

yup

it's not even a fit for the rest of the series. ys' stakes can get high but they usually just concern the fate of a village or small kingdom or, at the very worst, a nation

ys 8 jacks it up to not just the entire world, but the world at every major epoch of civilization

should've just stuck to anime robinson crusoe

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I recently played a bit of the Jeanne d'Arc psp srpg which has repeatable free battles. without a clear limit or disincentive in place (besides wasting your own time), I'm always tempted to grind for money and skills to a ridiculous degree.

Seems like a decent game, though. Looks good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is the DANA everyone is talking about

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
pls no unmarked spoilers, I still haven't finished that game yet. :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

She's got a big hole, thats all I remember

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

All I know is there is song about it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ys 8 is also where i noticed post-XSEED falcom's habit of transliterating a laugh at the start of every other line of dialogue and it drove me absolutely coconuts

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This also reminds me of why I got really mad at Cold Steel after everyone kept telling me the writing was amazing. In the start of the game a character is trying to hide her name and she goes "I'm uhhhh....Alice R. I'm from [some town]" and the next line is "Oh, [some town]! The Reinford family runs that town! They're a famous noble family who run a military industrial complex" and I was like man I hope this is some kind of red herring because if her last name just ends up being Reinford this is really dumb and everyone tried to defend the scene as if Alice was a real person who gave a bad fake name under pressure as if this were real life and not a video game written by writers and I think that was the maddest I've ever been at someone's opinions online and I think from there there was just no chance of me liking that game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cyber shadow chapter 10 is completely kicking my rear end. The downstab is very finnicky to get extra jumps off of and they make you do so many of them in a row while the enemies you are bouncing off shoot at you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Would you mind giving me a short breakdown of how Cyber Shadow plays? I keep hearing about it. The store page is tagged metroidvania, but Steam is a bit inflationary about using that tag and the description doesn't go into a lot of detail about how it really works as a game. Does it have the whole open world structure, revisiting areas as you gain more movement powers etc. thing or is it more of a level-based game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its no metroidvania.

Its a nes ninja gaiden successor

Has some contra influence in art and some enemy designs too but the gameplay is all A-B hack and slash punishining platforming

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, probably not my kind of game, then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People put metroidvania because you can go back to earlier stages with later powers to get stuff, but you can do that in megaman X and nobody calls that a metroidvania. Basically if you aren't here for Ninja Gaiden (NES) don't bother.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes a Metroidlike requires a contiguous world

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Probably saved me 20 dollars there.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

why are games so hard these days :(

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hard games help me relax. I’m glad that more developers are making punishing games these days, there was a period in the 360/PS3 generation where I felt such games were going out of fashion with endless tutorials and such becoming standard

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of hard games, I’d really like to see a new (or remade) Team Ninja Ninja Gaiden game on modern consoles. As far as character action games I always preferred that to Devil May Cry but that series and its descendants are all that’s left.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

This is going to be the free game on Epic next week if it struck anyone's fancy.

Real hurthling! posted:

Cyber shadow chapter 10 is completely kicking my rear end. The downstab is very finnicky to get extra jumps off of and they make you do so many of them in a row while the enemies you are bouncing off shoot at you.

Yeah, I just spent over an hour doing Ch 10 and the final boss. I was being stingy with my coins or whatever so I never had enough juice to shuriken those cowards who try to stay our of sword range. There's a Swag Blade in the lower left of the first area which a) is a great weapon with a great name b) was only the second place in the whole game I found one and c) can make some parts of that stage harder by damaging/killing the things you're trying to bounce off of.

My final death count was 217 spread out over 5 hours. Ultimately I think it's a fine take on a retro ninja action game with some light exploration and powerups, but it's a little shallow for $20 in this day and age. Which kind of sucks for the developers, but there's just not much beyond a fairly linear action game. There's an Extras menu on the title screen that I thought might have like a Boss Rush or Speedrun mode or something, but all that's there is a selection to view the game's Feats (achievements).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I kind of suspect that part of it is just that the player demographics are getting older and expect games to still be as hard as we all thought games were when we got into the hobby as a kid, rather than merely as difficult as those games actually are. If you put them side by side, I'm not sure that most of those modern (and admittedly overtutorialized) games would really be any easier than many of the games that we grew up playing. It's hard to be an eight year old again, though, so there's no real way to compare that kind of thing.

The recent success of the Soulslike genre has created a real upswing in interest in games that explicitly advertise themselves as particularly challenging, though, so that certainly also has something to do with it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hatty posted:

Hard games help me relax. I’m glad that more developers are making punishing games these days, there was a period in the 360/PS3 generation where I felt such games were going out of fashion with endless tutorials and such becoming standard

i feel the exact opposite... hard games stress me out and i feel like poo poo when i fail and have to start over or whatever :smith:

in other news i was watching some videos about cockatoos solving puzzles for seed and kirby was also watching very closely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I always love it when you can look at a cat and just know exactly what it is thinking at that moment.