Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Thats kind of the natural order of things. When I was living in the woods for a bit, a common rule of thumb was "Dont poo poo where you eat, don't eat where you sleep, and don't ever poo poo the bed." How this played out was you'd set up a sleeping tent somewhere about a mile from the river or creek. Then you would cook, eat, clean near the creek. Then you'd dig a cat hole to poo poo and cover up about a mile of so from either location (and preferably downstream). You can see this play out on the first season of Alone where the winner did what I described where as one of the former pathfinder school teachers was eating in camp which invited a mountain lion to investigate his campsite. Where I was camping in the woods there were 3 bears in the vicinity and a couple fox. You dont eat or poo poo where you sleep in bear country!

How this would work out in a detached living environment would be to have a shower house where you poop and shower, have a house where you sleep. Then have a gazebo you cook and eat at.

Here is a reference to the lifestyle I'd like:
https://youtu.be/Hr5s0ps9rAQ

You're not camping out, you're going to live there, lmao. A bear is not going to break into your house, just because you have a toilet under the same roof with your bed. If anything, it's more likely to sniff you out, because various smells from the toilet and the gazebo kitchen can be easier carried by the wind when they're not behind several doors, walls, and a roof. And then you can't even take a poo poo at night, because there's a bear trying to hump your outhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Space Kablooey posted:

showers are really inefficient wrt to water usage, so i think you should get a tub instead, so you can bathe in it. then you could call the structure a bath house, instead it's about the size of a room really, so maybe you could call it The Bath Room

Correction. Tiny bath house. Rooms don't exist in my detached world!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm thinking a wooden barrel over the firepit.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Paladinus posted:

I'm thinking a wooden barrel over the firepit.

Someone did make me think of a metal trough over the firepit. Thought it was a good idea.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Space Kablooey posted:

someone posted about reinventing housing from first principles and yeah here we are.

at least it didnt take 10k years this time

speedrunning the development of human settlements (may take damage to save time)

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Paladinus posted:

So you're going to have one house to take a shower, one house to cook, one house to take a poo poo, and one more to sleep?

And one house to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Thank you. Yeah I keep forgetting to post my electric system because well nothing about it would be considered safe at the moment other than its DC and I'd prefer to wait til ive finished it a bit more so I dont lose credibility in what I'm doing.

But yeah, I figured out the dc thing a while back. All my electric is dc except for my sleep apnea machine. My space heater is a 12v 800 watt space heater (i really need 1200w) i then have a 12v dc outlet board that i hook everything like my laptop, cell charger, and 12v electric blankets to.

All sconces are DC!

There is almost certainly a DC dongle for your PAP, and it's probably more efficient power-wise, because you won't be using an inverter from what is essentially DC power to a rectifier in your AC power brick.

Resmed's DC power cord has DC step-up from 12v to 24v (or maybe 36? I can't remember) which is still more efficient than the inverter/rectifier setup. Respironics and other brands can use straight 12v.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 2, 2021

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Rytheric posted:

You dont eat or poo poo where you sleep in bear country!

you live in a truck, if a bear comes to check out your food, shower or shitter you just wait until he goes to open the door and drive forward a few feet so he can't reach the handle; repeat until he gets frustrated and goes away.

i'm assuming any prank that would work on the average teenager would also sufficiently deter a bear.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is the best thread.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

meatpimp posted:

This is the best thread.

I cant wait til I can post progress pictures.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rytheric posted:

This is the orifice that will one day become the TimberShitter

Shitter me timbers!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

Here is a reference to the lifestyle I'd like:
https://youtu.be/Hr5s0ps9rAQ

The highlight of this video is when he's talking about the gas bladder thing and when he's pushing on it around the 5:30 mark it sounds like it's farting. Also, what happens to this guy when he's old and can't take care of himself? Eskimo retirement?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Rytheric posted:

We can't wait either! :thumbsup:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rytheric posted:

Hell yeah!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Do you own the land yet

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

Do you own the land yet

Getting the papers either today or tomorrow to present to the owner to sign on the dotted line.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Earth posted:

The highlight of this video is when he's talking about the gas bladder thing and when he's pushing on it around the 5:30 mark it sounds like it's farting. Also, what happens to this guy when he's old and can't take care of himself? Eskimo retirement?

I imagine he might light a firepit inside the shed or something. People tend to get cold easily when they get old.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Consider trying to recreate a test-boxtruck to test your fire pit in before doing it to the actual box truck

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm not actually paying attention to see if anybody besides me has already said the obvious thing but imma say it again that a godin style dual fuel stove is what you want, not a firepit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBJ3kcBL_Tg

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:eyepop:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Lolol

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

:aaaaa:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So do I show my dates this while we are in the GroverTruk or after I take them to the property.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

God damnit, I've already given my 5, what more do you want?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

incredible

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This is everything I could have hoped for and more

Shine on you crazy diamond :patriot:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
:eyepop: holy poo poo i love this thread

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

lmao

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

:perfect:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

:five:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

Correction. Tiny bath house. Rooms don't exist in my detached world!

True, I want to dig 4 footers and do 4 foundations because it's smarter than doing one

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

:piss:

Rytheric posted:

So do I show my dates this while we are in the GroverTruk or after I take them to the property.

After they're locked in the Fireporch

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

I imagine he might light a firepit inside the shed or something. People tend to get cold easily when they get old.

I get it, you're planning ahead with getting the fire pit in your van. Already planning for the future. Smart move.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Nice couch but you got a stupid name I'm gonna call you Ryan instead since "ryck" spelled like that with a 'y' instead of a 'i' makes me angry since its like they couldn't even spell their own kid's name right.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Nexein posted:

After they're locked in the Fireporch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mICGcg5-pM

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

fake emptyquoting this for posterity

This man has been a Goon for less than a week, but he is already much more Goon than any of us. Bravo Rytheric. You should build a little dirtbike track and a shootin' range while you're at it. Once it's done your little compound is gonna be the envy of all goondom.