Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Quite a lot of Trek races are marked by being aggressive assholes it seems
To be fair the species that are defined by being sedate and laid-back aren't going to be prominent in dramatic conflict. You never see Bolians start poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nessus posted:

To be fair the species that are defined by being sedate and laid-back aren't going to be prominent in dramatic conflict. You never see Bolians start poo poo.

Of course not; when they do it utterly destroys the restroom

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The Borg are just a hegemonising swarm, except instead of being an organic hegemonising swarm or an artificial hegemonising swarm, they're both at once.

Yeah, but they also have sentience and attempt communication, like Locutus. That makes them way more interesting than just grey goo. It gets harder and harder to write them in all interesting way though, which is why we don't actually see them much, and also why we get the Borg Queen, which is dumb. Their thing with species 8472 was cool though, even if 8472 themselves weren't necessarily.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Am I missing something? The guy who played Clemens (Jerry Hardin) is still alive as far as I can tell?

I honestly got confused because there were somehow apparently two actors who both put on Mark Twain stage shows and played Deep Throat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh poo poo how ignorant am I that I didn't think about the Deep Throat from All the President's Men when someone said Deep Throat?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

HopperUK posted:

My favourite thing about Cardassians is how much they like to talk - again, *mostly*, Damar isn't like that. But I was watching Civil Defense the other day because it's amazing and you can see Garak and Dukat repeatedly try to get into epic hour-long rap battle poetry fights about how much they hate each other, while everyone else is all 'guys please we don't have time there's a crisis'. Like, Dukat will say something and Garak's eyes will light up and he takes a breath to be all OH WELL HERE IS MY TWELVE-PART ESSAY ON WHY YOU SUCK. It's delightful.

I just watched it a few days ago and you're 100% right. The moment when Garak calls out Dukat for trying to impress Kira is so catty.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Oh poo poo how ignorant am I that I didn't think about the Deep Throat from All the President's Men when someone said Deep Throat?

Yeah, I meant the actual Deep Throat (Mark Felt) and All The President's Men's Deep Throat (Hal Holbrook) are now both dead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Civil Defense is a great episode for just the Dukat and Garak stuff

Basically any of the episodes where the two of them are in the same room a lot are good

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Civil Defense is a great episode for just the Dukat and Garak stuff

Basically any of the episodes where the two of them are in the same room a lot are good

Garak and Dukat trading barbs while stacking bodies in "The Way Of The Warrior" by just phasering every Klingon who comes charging down the hall with a blade is some great comedy that isn't appreciated enough.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LongDarkNight posted:

I just watched it a few days ago and you're 100% right. The moment when Garak calls out Dukat for trying to impress Kira is so catty.

"And you a *married man*!"

Oh God Dukat's reaction. He's so shocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJGOSB9NkTY

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 3, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Garak and Dukat trading barbs while stacking bodies in "The Way Of The Warrior" by just phasering every Klingon who comes charging down the hall with a blade is some great comedy that isn't appreciated enough.
Yes that scene is perfect

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Well I'll be. I'll definitely have to track this down.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I meant the actual Deep Throat (Mark Felt) and All The President's Men's Deep Throat (Hal Holbrook) are now both dead.

Neeeeerrrrds!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Linda Lovelace is dead too, though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just watched Data's Day, S4E11 of TNG.

A very fun episode. Doctor Crusher teaches Data to dance for a wedding but somehow it's tap-dancing. I guess Doctor should have asked the reason in advance?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just watched The Nth Degree, and Picard casually mentions being in command of the Enterprise for "over three years". This obviously implies less than four years. My point is obviously that this means that Alexander was two years old when he was introduced in season four, after being conceived in season two.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

BonHair posted:

I just watched The Nth Degree, and Picard casually mentions being in command of the Enterprise for "over three years". This obviously implies less than four years. My point is obviously that this means that Alexander was two years old when he was introduced in season four, after being conceived in season two.

It also means Alexander is like what, 10 at most when he comes back in DS9. I guess Klingons are a fast-maturing species compared to humans.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I find it funny Worf was a grizzled 24 years old when he started on the Enterprise.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

I find it funny Worf was a grizzled 24 years old when he started on the Enterprise.

Tbh, Worf being just out of space college makes a lot of sense with how dumb he is at first. Just doesn’t look his age I guess

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

And Alexander is part human too, that should influence the maturation a bit. One of K'ehleyr's parents must have been very surprised...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

lol at janeway going out of her way to inflict maximum damage on harry for getting laid and smiling while she does it

also they were eating chips in this scene good to see those survived WW3

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Has Mulgrew ever given a take on the 'power crazed psychopath' reading on her character?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Can I just say how much of a wet fart the episode Cold Fire is? They pick up a plot thread from the pilot, where the Caretaker mentions that there is another one of his kind out there. So they run into this being at the very end of the episode, she is about to blow up the ship because she believes that the crew killed her mate, but she gets incapacitated inadvertently by Kes and just fucks off after Janeway stuns her. Then she is never brought up again.

I feel like this episode is a good microcosm of Voyager as a whole- some buildup, zero payoff.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i found a 40 minute interview with majel barrett roddenberry, it's a delight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnhOkyPpng

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

multijoe posted:

Has Mulgrew ever given a take on the 'power crazed psychopath' reading on her character?

I think she intended to play Janeway as a crazed nutjob, but the suits were holding her back.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
they didnt do a very good job

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The script writers neither

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

John F Bennett posted:

Just watched Data's Day, S4E11 of TNG.

A very fun episode. Doctor Crusher teaches Data to dance for a wedding but somehow it's tap-dancing. I guess Doctor should have asked the reason in advance?

Data went to her having heard that she knew how to dance, so I could see her assuming that he asked her because of her speciality in tap-dancing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DS9 Last season let's go.

Odo loving sucks still btw.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All Changelings Are Bastards

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

All Changelings Are Bastards
This is pretty much confirmed throughout Trek

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Data not knowing what to ask for when asking to learn how to dance made me think about when he wanted to learn comedy and summoned Joe Piscopo in the holodeck. Then I thought that, if that episode were made today, Data would probably end up saying "bazinga!" after every joke.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cojawfee posted:

Data not knowing what to ask for when asking to learn how to dance made me think about when he wanted to learn comedy and summoned Joe Piscopo in the holodeck. Then I thought that, if that episode were made today, Data would probably end up saying "bazinga!" after every joke.

Sounds like an improvement honestly

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skasion posted:

Sounds like an improvement honestly

Frankly it does sound hilarious

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOlUAven6Z4

:stonklol:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gully Foyle posted:

It also means Alexander is like what, 10 at most when he comes back in DS9. I guess Klingons are a fast-maturing species compared to humans.
I kind of figured this was the case, which would have also explained the clear divide between rambunctious rear end in a top hat Klingons and the older guys like Gowron and Dax's pals. The former may have been mere teenagers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Why are his jowls vibrating

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Okay, now he needs to put Kid Picard's face on Old rear end Man Picard from Star Trek: Picard.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just hit Hard Time on our rewatch of DS9. I'm now thoroughly depressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nessus posted:

I kind of figured this was the case, which would have also explained the clear divide between rambunctious rear end in a top hat Klingons and the older guys like Gowron and Dax's pals. The former may have been mere teenagers.

Martok, chillest of the Klingons