Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Back when the game first came out the Atlantis plot felt like the most definitive ending to the game, because you discovered the eventual fate of Kassandra and had that nice recap scene on the beach with Barnabas and Herodotus going "well this sure has been an ODYSSEY hasn't it." But now you probably don't even recognize it as an ending because it sets up the Atlantis DLC, which is at least 12-15 hours of epilogue unto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

Back when the game first came out the Atlantis plot felt like the most definitive ending to the game, because you discovered the eventual fate of Kassandra and had that nice recap scene on the beach with Barnabas and Herodotus going "well this sure has been an ODYSSEY hasn't it." But now you probably don't even recognize it as an ending because it sets up the Atlantis DLC, which is at least 12-15 hours of epilogue unto itself.

Ha, I didn't even think of that as an ending at the time. Probably because I had the atlantis dlc ready to go and it just felt like a setup for that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, I was all set to finish up after the main plots wound down, then I remembered I had some artifacts to return and Bam! Crazy ancient alien conspiracy storyline!
It's generally great stuff but yeah, it kind of dilutes the impact of the story by stretching out various endings and epilogues like that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think a game which is gonna have "post-game" DLC should mark the end of its normal campaign clearly, credits and all, just to make that apparent. Though I imagine AC:O was built with the clear expectation that there would be post-game DLC so maybe Ubisoft wanted it to just smoothly transition into the next bit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Little things dragging this game down: the plot sinks with Atlantis

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ilmucche posted:

Little things dragging this game down: the plot sinks with Atlantis

Kassandra you are so tough and wise, please help these three giant idiot managers do their job. Okay bye good luck.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All games should end with a character dropping the title in some way and then cutting to black just to make it clear.

"Well Kassandra, It's been one hell of an Odyssey"

"Congratulations Zagreus, you really are the son of Hades"

"I guess this is it. It really is just the last of us too"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

christmas boots posted:

All games should end with a character dropping the title in some way and then cutting to black just to make it clear.

"Well Kassandra, It's been one hell of an Odyssey"

"Congratulations Zagreus, you really are the son of Hades"

"I guess this is it. It really is just the last of us too"

"And so you did not poo poo your pants"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thank you Mario you really are the mario party seven

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wow Magnus Gallant, you really are an Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Thank you for rescuing me, you really are super, Mario Bros!"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
https://twitter.com/TitlesInMedia/status/1317855921951936513

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The new Fenyx DLC is just a bunch of puzzle trials. These were my least favorite part of the game because they’re not particularly difficult, just tedious.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

The new Fenyx DLC is just a bunch of puzzle trials. These were my least favorite part of the game because they’re not particularly difficult, just tedious.

Time for more awkwardly placed void zones!
Plunge to your death from touching this ill defined cloud.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

That's good to know, I've been complaining about some of them. There's a lot of good ones, but a fair number that are either just tedious or take a neat concept a step or two too far into annoyingness. Seems like a gamble to pay for more of them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

That's good to know, I've been complaining about some of them. There's a lot of good ones, but a fair number that are either just tedious or take a neat concept a step or two too far into annoyingness. Seems like a gamble to pay for more of them.

I’m not even sure what the end game is. The point is you do trials to gain each of the god’s favor and get a fourth blessing from each of them, with the final goal to be invited to the pantheon of the gods. Except they already Max out all your stats and give you OP armor/weapons. So like...what’s the point?

I’ve only done Athena’s so far and there were like 8 trials to get hers. All puzzle.

So I go to Ares’ thinking it would at least change it to battles and nope, more puzzles. He even comments on it being puzzles and not battles.

I may just stop here because they’re not fun. Hopefully the next DLCs are more entertaining.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Manager Hoyden posted:

Kassandra you are so tough and wise, please help these three giant idiot managers do their job. Okay bye good luck.

drat, Kass and I have even more in common than I thought.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I think a game which is gonna have "post-game" DLC should mark the end of its normal campaign clearly, credits and all, just to make that apparent. Though I imagine AC:O was built with the clear expectation that there would be post-game DLC so maybe Ubisoft wanted it to just smoothly transition into the next bit.

Aren't the credits for Assassin's Creed games like half an hour long? That's probably why Odyssey has them in the menu and not in the game itself.

I've completed the main story stuff for Odyssey and I'm working through the DLC now. There's no way on earth I'll hit that credits button lol.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wasteland 3 has a killer soundtrack including several hilarious post-apoc covers of theme songs from 70s sitcoms. But I can't figure out a way to manually tune the radio on my murdertruck so I can have jams going nonstop :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Now that we've defeated evil we don't have to just imagine a better world anymore. Once and for all, we can make one! Our plan for it... will be our Final Fantasy."

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Godzilla for NES had this weird question and answer part with a face that changed based on your answer but the changes rarely made sense the questions got kinda out-there, too. Never understood why it was in the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Been replaying Dragon Quest Heroes 1 recently and I'd forgotten just how hard the later story missions were, I actually like the tower defence gimmick but I don't like my dudes standing and watching the defense target get smashed to pieces and not lifting a finger to help.

I know what the game wants and that's to drop monsters in chokepoints but in reality you'll end up dumping monsters infront of the target as multiple Killing Machines, Hell Gladiators, Archdemons and Gold Golems just storm past your chokepoint defenders.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Now that we've defeated evil we don't have to just imagine a better world anymore. Once and for all, we can make one! Our plan for it... will be our Final Fantasy."

FF8 and FF13-3 both did this for real and FFXII joked it with a move called Ultimate Illusion

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barudak posted:

FF8 and FF13-3 both did this for real and FFXII joked it with a move called Ultimate Illusion

14 plays with it. At one point when you're fighting an ersatz version of the protagonist of FF1, his doomsday attack is called Ultimate Crossover.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

it's surprisingly hard to come up with one of these that straddles the line between "could conceivably be valid for any game in a series" and "has probably actually been done by at least one game in a series"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That guy in FF14 also says "I'm mankind's first hero... And it's final hope" while dressed up as the concept art for the FF1 hero so yeah that was definitely as close as they could get to saying "final fantasy" in English without it being completely absurd even moreso than usual.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Plethora posted:

Godzilla for NES had this weird question and answer part with a face that changed based on your answer but the changes rarely made sense the questions got kinda out-there, too. Never understood why it was in the game.

Nice try there, Solomon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m not a fan of how the health and respawning systems work in Control.

Twice now I’ve had to start really big fights with 1/10th of my health and when I inevitably get killed the game spawns me in at the nearest bonfire and despawns all of the enemies so I can’t even try the fight again at full hp.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Twice now I’ve had to start really big fights with 1/10th of my health and when I inevitably get killed the game spawns me in at the nearest bonfire and despawns all of the enemies so I can’t even try the fight again at full hp.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
But using mode means you're a coward who isn't a gamer obvs*

*this is not true

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bewilderment posted:

That guy in FF14 also says "I'm mankind's first hero... And it's final hope" while dressed up as the concept art for the FF1 hero so yeah that was definitely as close as they could get to saying "final fantasy" in English without it being completely absurd even moreso than usual.

Just have someone say "I know I will die in this upcoming battle, so I'm off to think about motorboating giant titties while having a wank. This will be my... Final Fantasy."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sunswipe posted:

Just have someone say "I know I will die in this upcoming battle, so I'm off to think about motorboating giant titties while having a wank. This will be my... Final Fantasy."

I say this everyday when i awake from slumber

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

moosecow333 posted:

At the very least they need to choose one between "no regenerating health" and "screen goes red and half covered at low health"

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I know the options are there but all I want is to just try the fight again because I want a challenge that starts me on even playing ground. The second time it happened to me was right after I got the shield power, I got shot down to a sliver of hp in the trial area and once I returned to the ‘normal’ world a fight started and I immediately got blasted and that’s just silly.

Also, while I like the fact that your dash will destroy objects in the environment, the devs decided that some of the objects that should break are guard rails on bridges miles above the ground which lead to me dashing through the rails and falling to my death. OSHA would be pissed at this place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

I know the options are there but all I want is to just try the fight again because I want a challenge that starts me on even playing ground. The second time it happened to me was right after I got the shield power, I got shot down to a sliver of hp in the trial area and once I returned to the ‘normal’ world a fight started and I immediately got blasted and that’s just silly.

Also, while I like the fact that your dash will destroy objects in the environment, the devs decided that some of the objects that should break are guard rails on bridges miles above the ground which lead to me dashing through the rails and falling to my death. OSHA would be pissed at this place.

I don't think OSHA typically takes I to account super powered dashes though :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I started playing a little bit of Hitman again and I like it but I'm gently caress all if I can predict or tell what the hell makes someone suspicious or how to calmly walk away from it. I have the right clothes on, the right weapons out (or none at all), walk calmly, chill and I can't loving fool anybody half the time.

I think the white dots above certain people's heads either mean I blend with them or I stand out but I'm not sure. I think it means I'm in the clear with those dudes when the dot is solid but the game still seems inconsistent about it. It's a fun game. I just wish it were a little more clear about wtf is going on sometimes.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

BiggerBoat posted:

I started playing a little bit of Hitman again and I like it but I'm gently caress all if I can predict or tell what the hell makes someone suspicious or how to calmly walk away from it. I have the right clothes on, the right weapons out (or none at all), walk calmly, chill and I can't loving fool anybody half the time.

I think the white dots above certain people's heads either mean I blend with them or I stand out but I'm not sure. I think it means I'm in the clear with those dudes when the dot is solid but the game still seems inconsistent about it. It's a fun game. I just wish it were a little more clear about wtf is going on sometimes.

It's the latter, the solid dot means that that person is an "enforcer" and can see through your disguise (or you're somewhere you shouldn't be, or you're doing something illegal). An empty dot means that that person would be an enforcer but is incapacitated in some way and won't react to you, for instance, maybe because you just made them sick by spiking their drink.

Typically you're more suspicious if you run, and if you're not allowed to have a gun out visibly then it will be marked with a red ! in the corner. You can blend in with crowds (not necessarily all of them) in Hitman 2 and 3, and this is marked with a white circle around 47 and a note at the bottom of the screen.

Hedgehog Pie has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BiggerBoat posted:

The white dot means they will be suspicious of you if they see you currently (based on location, outfit, activity, etc).

Did you do the tutorial levels on the boat?