Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sub placement advice assumes that you have an enclosed, rectangular room. If you do, the best advice is to place the subs at the midpoints of opposing walls, ie front and back. You can also do opposing corners, or adjacent corners, which have their own benefits and issues. There really isn’t any difference between using the front two corners vs the rear two corners.

If you don’t have a rectangular room or can’t place the subs in the more standard spots, well, have fun:

http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah, sound is a physics subject so while front and back is a general rule, it's not always correct.

In one of the houses I lived in I did the whole subwoofer crawl deal and in the interest of thoroughness I crawled around everywhere and it turns out the ideal place for that particular sub was in the next loving room. Literally the room behind where my TV is, in the far corner was where the bass was most even and present. Turns out the next best option was with the sofa pulled out and the sub sat behind. It can vary massively and the only way to find out what works is to experiment in your own house.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Personally, if I were buying a "much better sub" I would just replace what I've got with something appropriate for the room size rather than try to get two mismatching subs to play nice with each other. That just sounds like a giant headache.

My experience with mismatched subs is it's always a fudge in some respect. In my workshop I've got my PA setup with 2x Bill Fitzmaurice T60s running 25hz to about 40hz and then 2x T39s running up from there to 100hz (going from memory, I'm not 100% on the exact crossover point between them). While it was possible to just run them together through the same frequency range (tweaked because the T39s don't go as low) it took a lot of loving around with time alignment and phase to get them pumping at the same time but it never sounded quite right because they don't perform the same throughout those frequencies. With them split up crossover wise and working in the ranges they're best at, again with the arduous task of time alignment and phase adjustments and a load of time sat with an RTA mic they're a lot happier and it sounds immense.

I'm not sure what options for adjustment modern AV receivers have but I doubt they're capable of quite the level of adjustment required to do something like this.

Related to placement, this was always the killer using the PA in various places. You'd have to roll up hours beforehand and try the subs out in the few spots you had available without them infringing on any real floorspace in the venue. Sometimes you got lucky and could split them either side of the stage. Sometimes the room shape required them clustered centre stage. One time the best spot was about 10ft away to the left of the stage wall loaded... The physics of low frequencies and the way they interact in spaces is hosed and why we got a noise complaint from a building about 100ft away about excessive bass despite it being decently loud in the room and barely intelligible about 15ft outside the venue.

KillHour posted:

So you put it in the other room, right?

It was tempting but there was no chance of cabling it so I 'settled' for behind the sofa which actually sounded really great.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 25, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So you put it in the other room, right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not sure what options for adjustment modern AV receivers have but I doubt they're capable of quite the level of adjustment required to do something like this.

Some NAD, Arcam, and Emotiva receivers run Dirac Live which can do just about anything.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This years' Onkyos/Pioneers [they're apparently not out of business yet] will have some form of Dirac in the higher end models.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Some NAD, Arcam, and Emotiva receivers run Dirac Live which can do just about anything.

Took a quick look on the Dirac site and the NAD/Rotel/JBL AVRs offer a version that'll tune poo poo up to 500hz for free, full range adjustment is a $99 software fee. The worst audio problems are in that low end range anyway so yay.

The multi-sub option is an outright $499 upgrade and seems to be only for certain Arcam, Bryston, Focal and Monolith AV receivers/processors for some reason.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Took a quick look on the Dirac site and the NAD/Rotel/JBL AVRs offer a version that'll tune poo poo up to 500hz for free, full range adjustment is a $99 software fee. The worst audio problems are in that low end range anyway so yay.

The multi-sub option is an outright $499 upgrade and seems to be only for certain Arcam, Bryston, Focal and Monolith AV receivers/processors for some reason.

$500 still seems pretty steep to me for a software upgrade but it's not really any cheaper to go the minidsp dirac route so...

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Hello again thread! Long time no see!

You all did me good back in 2012 so I'm back again as it's upgrade time!

I just bought the LG CX and hooked it up to my aging Onkyo only to find out I can't send 5.1 uncompressed from the xbox one x to my receiver over eARC of the tv. And hooking the xbox up to the receiver limits me to 1080p :(. So it's time to upgrade the receiver! Eventually I will be getting an xbox series x so the receiver would hopefully fully support that as well.

What are my options? I want lowest video latency possible setup I'm good with either hookup path, xbox>tv>reciever earc, or xbox>receiver>tv, if there is no noticeable lag introduced.

Budget 200 to 800. With that being said I have 0 plans to go beyond 5.1 and I'm not doing atmos config (mostly cause I honestly don't know how or what to buy)

Current speakers
Front = Two Towers, pioneers (Andrew Jones)
Center = is the Andrew Jones(probably going to replace this)
Rears = unknown as they came with the house and are IN the ceiling. No way in hell I'm crawling up there to find out, too fat for that poo poo.
Sub = Polk 10".

I am open to speaker upgrade suggestions as well for future purchase. But right now I mostly need the receiver.
Thanks in advance!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Denon X2700h on sale (list 900 i see them going for 850)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you have Costco check out the Yamaha TSR-700. If you want the lowest latency connect your console to the TV and use eARC.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Those look nice and are on my list. Any 5.1 options? Don't need to spend on 7.1?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kilazar posted:

Hello again thread! Long time no see!

You all did me good back in 2012 so I'm back again as it's upgrade time!

I just bought the LG CX and hooked it up to my aging Onkyo only to find out I can't send 5.1 uncompressed from the xbox one x to my receiver over eARC of the tv. And hooking the xbox up to the receiver limits me to 1080p :(. So it's time to upgrade the receiver! Eventually I will be getting an xbox series x so the receiver would hopefully fully support that as well.

What are my options? I want lowest video latency possible setup I'm good with either hookup path, xbox>tv>reciever earc, or xbox>receiver>tv, if there is no noticeable lag introduced.

Budget 200 to 800. With that being said I have 0 plans to go beyond 5.1 and I'm not doing atmos config (mostly cause I honestly don't know how or what to buy)

Current speakers
Front = Two Towers, pioneers (Andrew Jones)
Center = is the Andrew Jones(probably going to replace this)
Rears = unknown as they came with the house and are IN the ceiling. No way in hell I'm crawling up there to find out, too fat for that poo poo.
Sub = Polk 10".

I am open to speaker upgrade suggestions as well for future purchase. But right now I mostly need the receiver.
Thanks in advance!

qirex posted:

If you have Costco check out the Yamaha TSR-700. If you want the lowest latency connect your console to the TV and use eARC.

Echoing this. I'm a huge fan of Yamaha receivers. This is a great way to go. I have a RX-V673... circa 2012ish... works great. Don't worry about 5.1 vs 7.1, I'm not sure they make many 5.1 only systems now, and with the Yamaha you can use the extra 2 channels for a zone 2 if you like in the future... like patio speakers or something. The TRS-700 is a Costco equivalent to the RX-V6A receiver which retails at 600 dollars.

I have the 5 Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers and haven't found a reason to replace them at this point. Upgrading from that 10" polk sub will be a big upgrade. I went from the PSW-10 which was not a great sub for my use, to a PSW505 and the difference was significant. I picked it up for like 150 or 175 one year around Black Friday. No idea what prices are like these days.

I've been OK with the AJ center speaker, but I do have it boosted in the Yamaha settings to +3 or 3.5db so the center channel comes through more clear. Not sure if it's quieter or if it's something I just prefer for more clear dialogue. It's surprising how many surround sound tracks are poorly mixed, and Live TV mix is usually trash. I have issues sometimes with sound, and often watch TV with closed captioning on. Some sort of ADHD audio processing delay probably.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Awesome thanks for the input. I like the look of the yamaha for my setup. So I will go with it.

I to have to set my center channel up by about 3 as well.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
7.1/7.2 receivers are also great for 5.1 because most these days will let you bi-amp your fronts or easily set up front height/atmos speakers using the Zone 2/extra surround outs.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

7.1/7.2 receivers are also great for 5.1 because most these days will let you bi-amp your fronts or easily set up front height/atmos speakers using the Zone 2/extra surround outs.

I don't know what bi amping my fronts would even do.

I set my front towers at 80 for thx standard cause I am dumb and read somewhere that is what I should do... Would bi amp improve anything on the Andrews jones towers?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kilazar posted:

I don't know what bi amping my fronts would even do.

I set my front towers at 80 for thx standard cause I am dumb and read somewhere that is what I should do... Would bi amp improve anything on the Andrews jones towers?

It wouldn’t do anything and no

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Since the AVR is under my stated budget and has 7.1.. I guess I could get a couple more speakers to do atmos.

I already have two speakers in the ceiling above my seating position. I can use those for the atmos.. So what would be a good pair of rears? Should I just get a couple of the AJ book shelf a and put them on a stand?

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Wrong thread probably but is there a pro audio thread?

My work (electronic refurbisher) received a massive donation from a stadium in the area and we have a shitload of big rear end speakers, rack mount amps and audio processors and assorted professional AV and lighting poo poo from the 70s + 80s taking up space in our warehouse. I’d like someone who Knows Their poo poo to take a look at the list of what we got and see if anything is worth anything or usable or whatever.

Alternatively, is anyone in the Toronto area interested in opening up a venue, lol

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

My work (electronic refurbisher) received a massive donation from a stadium in the area and we have a shitload of big rear end speakers, rack mount amps and audio processors and assorted professional AV and lighting poo poo from the 70s + 80s taking up space in our warehouse. I’d like someone who Knows Their poo poo to take a look at the list of what we got and see if anything is worth anything or usable or whatever.

Alternatively, is anyone in the Toronto area interested in opening up a venue, lol

Post about it in the vintage audio thread, ppl are bound to be interested there + there’s a few ppl in there who know poo poo

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Talking of rack mount poo poo, I'm trying to build an AV center for my main room and I have almost everything I need. Unfortunately every website is currently out of the speakers I want, and out of the subwoofer I want, and out of the AVR I want. For the next 2 months...

So uh, I have a cool tower that's not doing anything. :shobon:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

Some people in here are pretty knowledgeable about that stuff. Same with the quick audio questions thread. May as well :justpost: the list.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

KillHour posted:

Some people in here are pretty knowledgeable about that stuff. Same with the quick audio questions thread. May as well :justpost: the list.

Cool! I also posted it in the vintage audio thread but here it is! All the cool stuff is in the audio/visual tab

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1o4K5SMEYsL56oe_XVzpQv9owhiZeiRdB/edit?filetype=msexcel

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

Cool! I also posted it in the vintage audio thread but here it is! All the cool stuff is in the audio/visual tab

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1o4K5SMEYsL56oe_XVzpQv9owhiZeiRdB/edit?filetype=msexcel

It's all worthless, especially the Crestron stuff. Send it all to me and I'll get rid of it for you. :fap:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn those Meyers are nice.

The mics can probably get use if they're in decent condition.

The source 4 lenses and gel frames should be pretty much universal. And the Christie/Crestons will probably find a good home easily enough

I mean, what do you mean "worthwhile"? Because I'm willing to bet some nonprofits or community theatres in the area could do with the old mixers, amps, etc.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ooh, my area. The Source 4 lens tubes are still in active use, someone will want those if the glass is in good condition . Is it just the lens tubes though? Some of them say "w/ pipe clamp" which doesn't make sense unless there's a whole fixture.

The Sensor rack could be handy for someone, with appropriate check to make sure it's electrically safe (that part number's for a door filter, but it goes in a 24-ch portable rack).

Strand 25/50s, meh, probably not great, depends on what sort they are.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in a similar situation as Kilazar, I have a LG CX and need a new audio setup to match it, my old one being from 2011, and need some recommendations. I'm not an audiophile myself and am kind of lost shopping for speakers.

I'm limited by the setup the previous owner had installed as I don't have any interest in opening the walls to rerun speaker cable if I don't have to so I'm reusing 2 ceiling mounted rear speakers and the L/R speakers need to be bookshelf models because the wires are exiting the wall around 3' high, way to high for any tower speakers I'm seeing.

I'll probably just go with the previously mentioned Yamaha TRS-700 for the receiver, so that and the rest in mind, can anyone recommend a L/R pair, sub and center for around $1k or less?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stuff to check out for speakers:
  • Q Acoustics 2030 series
  • Wharfedale Diamond
  • Chane A series
  • Polk S series
  • ELAC Debut 2.0
  • Jamo S series

As far as subs go, the cheapest “proper” one I can think of is the RSL Speedwoofer 10S at $400. I think Polk, Emotiva and Monoprice have similarly priced models. Monoprice sells good cheap speaker stands and you can get all your cables from them too.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not seeing the RSL anywhere I can order from, discontinued maybe?

I had assumed at first splicing an extra few feet onto the in-wall wiring might result in messed up audio but a bit of research online is telling me it's really no big deal and I could even wirenut them for maximum laziness and be fine. Sooo maybe I do want some towers actually.

Went down the rabbit hole and this is what I I'm looking at, blows the budget a bit and Klipsch seems to have a lot of detractors but it seems like the best fit to me, an admitted audio novice, from Crutchfield who seem to be the only retailer willing to ship large subs to me without charging $$$. (I'm in the US but not CONUS)

Klipsch Reference R-112SW
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-4000F
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-400C

Any reason I would regret that order?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The RPx000 series is generally considered to be good. Most Klipsch detractors acknowledge that I think. I have RP8000Fs up front and am quite happy with them.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Whats the difference between the RP stuff? A RP-8000F looks like it has the same woofers as the R-820F, but it costs several hundred more.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They aren’t the same (different materials, though same electronics I think). Also different tweeters.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 9, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elem7 posted:

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-4000F
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-400C
4" woofers all around is an interesting choice, especially on the center channel. Is your room/listening area small? I'd be a little concerned about bass, even with a sub you want the center to cover low make voices, etc. Both speakers have plenty of good reviews so I'm sure they're not bad but if you're going to stretch anywhere I'd say the center channel is where to do it and see if you can find a deal on the 500C.

brand engager posted:

Whats the difference between the RP stuff? A RP-8000F looks like it has the same woofers as the R-820F, but it costs several hundred more.
The tweeter is new [titanium instead of aluminum] and horn was redesigned and is made of rubber instead of plastic, I think the construction, crossover and internal parts are better too. According to reviewers the sound is a lot less bright than traditional Klipsch. Most speaker companies make their various lines look as different as possible but not them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Klipsch.com posted:

You’ll get titanium tweeters and our patented Cerametallic woofers on the Reference Premiere series. They also have two features that sonically set them apart from the Reference series and give them the perfect most transparent sound:

The Tractrix® bass port located on the back of the speaker models

The 90° x 90° hybrid tractrix horn lens

Maybe the port change makes a big difference? I don’t know.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

4" woofers all around is an interesting choice, especially on the center channel. Is your room/listening area small? I'd be a little concerned about bass, even with a sub you want the center to cover low make voices, etc. Both speakers have plenty of good reviews so I'm sure they're not bad but if you're going to stretch anywhere I'd say the center channel is where to do it and see if you can find a deal on the 500C.

How bout a RP-450c and RP-280F? Bit more but then I was expecting to spend more on a reciever.

Not sure if that's to far in the other direction with those towers but Crutchfield has them discounted due to being discontinued.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 9, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I would highly recommend listening to any speakers in person before throwing down cash, or at least buying from a vendor that lets you do a home trial or free returns.

Klipsch speakers have a rather divisive sound signature, it's very forward*. Some people enjoy that in-your-face presentation, others find it grating, shouty and harsh. It's very first-row-at-a-concert.

*As a comparison, another brand with a very well-known sound signature is Sennheiser, who are famous/infamous for their very laid-back, middle-to-rear-seating-in-the-venue type of sound. Again, some people love it, some people think it throws a veil over the sound.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The newer RPs supposedly are lacking that super bright Klipsch “house sound” and are more balanced. I hated the old one.

It’s always better to audition stuff but if you’re not in the continental us and there’s a pandemic going on it can be hard. I bought my speakers blind but I was familiar with the brand.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"More balanced" as in "not quite as harsh", they still have a very distinct sound profile.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
regardless of house sound or not, I would encourage anybody building a HT to strongly consider going with at least 5.25” drivers or up for the fronts and center channel.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I was looking at the RP-5000/6000 but I found a deal on a pair of R-820’s that I couldn’t pass up. I had listened to the 6000’s in store but not the 820 so I can’t make any side by side claims, but I am extremely happy with the 820. I also have the RP500 center.

I am by no means an audiophile but I appreciate good quality sound nonetheless. They’re used 60/40 for movies/music. My dad has a 7.1 def tech setup that he spent a whole lot more on but I vastly prefer my 3.0. I don’t have a sub (yet) but the 820s have a solid punch on the low end, enough to get my whole house shaking.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

qirex posted:

The newer RPs supposedly are lacking that super bright Klipsch “house sound” and are more balanced. I hated the old one.

It’s always better to audition stuff but if you’re not in the continental us and there’s a pandemic going on it can be hard. I bought my speakers blind but I was familiar with the brand.

I just ordered the Yamaha and Dali combo I mentioned upthread, and it's hard to recalibrate my brain from "you just spend a bunch of money, so you'd better like it" to "speakers are a personal choice, and EU consumer law says you can send them back within 14 days of receipt". As you say, pandemic, so there might be some back and forth, but that's fine.