Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

His metallic loincloth kinda looks like someone used a weird photoshop tool to censor his dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm honestly kind of amazed with how they decided to gaudy up this design by throwing on 80 layers of moving knives. There's no way this isn't going to be a confusing eye sore in a fight scene. My man looks like a first movie Bay-former.

Reminds me of that horrid version of Batman redesigned by the Square-Enix visual team.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I forget, was what we got always what was planned, or did Heath Ledger's death gently caress them that badly?

Is Screenrant an alright source? It matches my rough memory of rumors at the time at least. https://screenrant.com/joker-heath-ledger-dark-knight-rises-batman-movie/

Supposedly Joker was originally going to be in 2 movies. The Dark Knight would be roughly as it was, and then his trial would feature prominently in the 3rd film. This led to rumors about a script for a third movie that heavily features the trial. But apparently they had already decided to compress the story and there doesn't seem to be a big reason to think that Ledger's death changed much. It does feel like Joker is a better fit for stirring things up than Bane though. Like Joker in the courtroom driving a sick populism while Bane works a bigger angle makes more sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sephyr posted:

Reminds me of that horrid version of Batman redesigned by the Square-Enix visual team.

Kamen Rider Batman owns though?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry the only Batman i respect now is Drip Batman

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think an Objectivist reading of the Iron Man movies seems pretty valid, too. Really, Iron Man and Batman have a lot of similar parallels as Randian ubermench figures and I know both have been written by multiple people at different times in ways that'd be interchangeable with Rand's protagonists. And relatedly, I think a lot of the Objectivist discourse around Snyder is as much rooted in the fact that he has tackled a fair number of superhero movies at this point. There was Watchmen and Man of Steel, and then that Devin Faraci article was obviously cashing in on the interest around Batman v Superman, which came out at the exact same time.

Objectivist conceits are pretty heavily embedded in the genre of American superhero stories, like Steve Ditko was a major creator in the establishment of Marvel's cape comics and it's his creations, The Question and more obliquely Mr. A, that Rorschach was a deconstruction of. I don't know if anyone went out of their way to publish some long articles about how the Watchmen movie "GOT RORSCHACH WRONG" but I know there was a bit of discourse around the movie changes to Rorschach, how he seemed more sympathetically framed, and the implications behind that. Otherwise, I know there's been eternal (albeit at this point kind of muted) debates around whether 300 is a satire/deconstruction or sincere propaganda since it came out, which while not Objectivist was definitely drawing a lot on artistic intent and speculation on Snyder's personal politics.

But I don't know, I think in general the attitude around Snyder and the willingness to give more charitable or left-leaning reading of his stuff took a sharp dive with Batman v Superman in particular.... just something about 2016-2017 made people jumpy. Sucker Punch and Man of Steel people seemed kind of divided/tepid on at the time, but there was a way more visible, visceral rejection of Batman v Superman. I don't know if the Devin Faraci article pulled the blindfold off everyone's eyes and started a hot trend, so much as happened to be a manifestation of something that was simmering for a while. I still don't buy it was the focal point of Objectivist readings, but people have been a lot more ready to call out what they see as right-wing nonsense, both from genuine concern and outrage clicks. I just don't feel like you can lay all this at the feet of one creeper.

My personal feeling is that it gave people who disliked Snyderman a convenient shorthand to describe their issues with Zack's superhero movies and Superman in particular.im not going to delve too deep on that because I'm on mobile, but regarding your point about 300, I will say this:
It's hard to dismiss the idea that the film isn't satirical when it contains s scene where spartans are fighting guys dressed up as literal strawmen

https://youtu.be/D0xSqLrG-ow

Vagabong posted:

His metallic loincloth kinda looks like someone used a weird photoshop tool to censor his dong.

Steppendong

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

My personal feeling is that it gave people who disliked Snyderman a convenient shorthand to describe their issues with Zack's superhero movies and Superman in particular.im not going to delve too deep on that because I'm on mobile, but regarding your point about 300, I will say this:
It's hard to dismiss the idea that the film isn't satirical when it contains s scene where spartans are fighting guys dressed up as literal strawmen

https://youtu.be/D0xSqLrG-ow

I haven't seen 300 in a long while, but my impression at the time was it was was something of a Starship Troopers situation, where the movie-makers were a lot more in on the absurd and satirical elements than the source material was.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thinking about that SMG post about the ultimate prank in 300 is that it tricks conservatives into rooting for babykilling fascists and liberals into rooting for a imperialist invasion.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Starship Troopers was the film that set me on the road of not caring what critics thought about things. Holy moly did they miss the point of that film completely.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roth posted:

Thinking about that SMG post about the ultimate prank in 300 is that it tricks conservatives into rooting for babykilling fascists and liberals into rooting for a imperialist invasion.

"tricks"?

I have questions.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

"tricks"?

I have questions.

SMG was primarily poking fun at conservatives thinking that the Spartans are awesome, as well as liberals acting like the Persian Empire is a good alternative to Sparta despite the fact that they're, you know, invading another people.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I mean you don't really need to "trick" conservatives to root for baby killing fascists. They already do that by themselves. See the Trump cult.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

liberals love to invade another people though???

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m sour on 300 after watching the capitol riot live streams and people doing the 300 Aah HOO poo poo over and over.

It might be satire but it also got taken way too much at face value. Hard to watch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even if I'm to buy that 300 is actually some satire, it still traffics in racist and homophobic imagery. Like, the movie's just doing the thing it's supposedly criticizing.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

you guys are still loving going hey

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

Even if I'm to buy that 300 is actually some satire, it still traffics in racist and homophobic imagery. Like, the movie's just doing the thing it's supposedly criticizing.

This is why I like Rise of an Empire better. Outside of Xerxes and whatever the gently caress they were thinking there, the Persians aren't depicted as grotesque monster men and the Athenians actively poo poo talk the Spartans and their obsession with perfection.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Farm Frenzy posted:

you guys are still loving going hey

Hey!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is why I like Rise of an Empire better. Outside of Xerxes and whatever the gently caress they were thinking there, the Persians aren't depicted as grotesque monster men and the Athenians actively poo poo talk the Spartans and their obsession with perfection.

The sequel carrying over the depiction of Xerxes like that just removes any excuse that it's exaggerated for the story told by Dilios.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roth posted:

SMG was primarily poking fun at conservatives thinking that the Spartans are awesome, as well as liberals acting like the Persian Empire is a good alternative to Sparta despite the fact that they're, you know, invading another people.

pretty much:

Ghostlight posted:

liberals love to invade another people though???

Jamie Faith posted:

I mean you don't really need to "trick" conservatives to root for baby killing fascists. They already do that by themselves. See the Trump cult.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

pretty much:

If it helps, SMG was also trolling other posters by insinuating that they are liberals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roth posted:

The sequel carrying over the depiction of Xerxes like that just removes any excuse that it's exaggerated for the story told by Dilios.

It definitely makes a hash out of the ending where the big final gently caress you from the Spartans to the Persians is injuring Xerxes to show that he's just a man, not a god. Then the prequel/sequel comes out and it turns out Xerxes bathed in a magic pool of water that made him huge.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

It definitely makes a hash out of the ending where the big final gently caress you from the Spartans to the Persians is injuring Xerxes to show that he's just a man, not a god. Then the prequel/sequel comes out and it turns out Xerxes bathed in a magic pool of water that made him huge.

lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigRed0427 posted:

I forget, was what we got always what was planned, or did Heath Ledger's death gently caress them that badly?

its a mix but i think ledgers death kinda hosed up poo poo. i read he was supposed to be the Judge at the court instead of crane.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

If it helps, SMG was also trolling other posters by insinuating that they are liberals.

I wish I loved something as much as CineD loves SMG's Zizek-fueled condescendent takes. One of the big reasons why it became an uninhabitable subforum for a while, just a constant stream of SMG into BotL into circular arguments that are either irrefutable truths or trolling depending on how you engage with them. The subforum was good around the time it had the review section on the front page too! At least it's better now.

For content, Spice8Rack made a silly video on MTG's science with a science guy (not Bill Nye) which was pretty entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTj4Lb0kBo&hd=1

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SMG clearly reads wikipedia summaries for movies he hasn't seen and then shits up a thread that was going well. I think I swore off specific movie threads after he did it for Us.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Dragging a poor ignored post up from Snyderchat:

theGrooseofLegend posted:

This has been uploaded a while ago and I didn't see anyone post here so

Big Joel on the ending of The Last Airbender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1xe7JFb-g

I was finishing an Avatar rewatch and like yeah, honestly the ending was weird to me when it happened and knowing it's coming it's even weirder because like, there's no buildup, even a few episodes before when Aang thinks he'll have to kill Ozai during the Day of Black Sun and it's so bizarre. Like, okay sure it's a kids show and I'm very smart for out-thinking it, but Avatar was remarkable because up to that point it had been good about foreshadowing and building to an exciting climax.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dias posted:

I wish I loved something as much as CineD loves SMG's Zizek-fueled condescendent takes. One of the big reasons why it became an uninhabitable subforum for a while, just a constant stream of SMG into BotL into circular arguments that are either irrefutable truths or trolling depending on how you engage with them. The subforum was good around the time it had the review section on the front page too! At least it's better now.

I understand SMG's posting isn't for everyone, but I do think SMG has made some of the funniest posts on SA.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Roth posted:

I understand SMG's posting isn't for everyone, but I do think SMG has made some of the funniest posts on SA.

The one mocking him is a thousand times funnier than all of his posts combined.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

And you're in your right to be wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m just tired of insincerity and ironic poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dias posted:

And you're in your right to be wrong.

No u

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if you have nuanced opinions about zack snyder movies you have rocks in your brain

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We all have rocks in our brain.

It’s called a skull. Checkmate

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

We all have rocks in our brain.

Its called a skull. Checkmate

the skull is around the brain

you might have a tumor

i'm so sorry

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress!!

"CelticPredator says gently caress, it's gonna be nuts" - Zack Snyder

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had an autograph from Zack Snyder once. It came on a 300 CD. It’s long gone now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Roth posted:

Sorry the Bible says the Cyrus and Xerxes were good kings, therefore Persian wars are justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

theGrooseofLegend posted:

This has been uploaded a while ago and I didn't see anyone post here so

Big Joel on the ending of The Last Airbender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1xe7JFb-g

I'm not sure I agree with the section on the rock but I'd need to think about how to frame it.

Rest of it is an good take though.