Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Going by the demos, all of the changes to the game systems from the previous Bravely games are for the worse. I'm also not a fan of what the character models look like--that's a style that worked well on a little 3DS screen but doesn't really translate to HD. The backgrounds in towns and stuff are still beautiful, though.

I want it to be good, though, so I'm hoping I hear good things about the full game once it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do remember that Endless Eight was a big factor in that franchise's demise, as well as the author's lack of schedule.

It's all well and good to have an artistic vision, but if your otherwise-steady viewership hates it and the die-hard minority try to rationalize it as brilliant by writing epic-long forum posts then you've hosed up mate.

It would be more daring to, say, kill off your main character by getting him shot in the leg by a complete nobody. He bleeds out and is gone for the rest of the show. That would be a twist most viewers would be salty about but still understanding. gently caress, I'm off-topic.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's out! It's here! It's Disgaea 6!

Time for me to head up to the old mountaintop hermitage again. I'll let you know how it is when I get back next month.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Do remember that Endless Eight was a big factor in that franchise's demise, as well as the author's lack of schedule.

It's all well and good to have an artistic vision, but if your otherwise-steady viewership hates it and the die-hard minority try to rationalize it as brilliant by writing epic-long forum posts then you've hosed up mate.

It would be more daring to, say, kill off your main character by getting him shot in the leg by a complete nobody. He bleeds out and is gone for the rest of the show. That would be a twist most viewers would be salty about but still understanding. gently caress, I'm off-topic.

but the writer literally wrote a new book last year and people liked it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Pretty sure the series died (went dormant?) when the writer had writer's block and didn't make anything for a decade.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
haruhi had a fair amount of cache into like, the early 2010s and just died because they stopped making it. the simulwatch for it in adtrw was probably the most actively participated in simulwatch ever

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait, I thought there already was a Bravely Default 2 for the 3DS?

EDIT: Found it, Bravely Default Second, not to be confused with Bravely Default 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bravely second exists but iirc the director of default 2 said they're calling it default 2 because of audience response to second or something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I sorta figured it was like a Final Fantasy X-2 thing. Bravely Second is a direct sequel to Bravely Default, while Bravely Default II is a new world with a new cast like how Final Fantasy games usually don't share worlds.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade Chronicles X sits quietly in a corner and sulks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

you remember wrong. disappearance of haruhi suzumiya came out after endless eight and was hugely successful and is an insanely well regarded movie. And the author had already had a 4 year long hiatus before season 2 of the anime even started. like I realize this is off topic but this is what people always say and spread to others, and its just blatantly incorrect on every level and can be proven incorrect with a basic wikipedia search.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you queue a heal before taking a fatal hit and then it pops after you take a fatal hit do you not die in earthbound. I think that's what happened when I fought the ant but I'm not entirely sure.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last 5 or so novels before the author went on hiatus being perhaps the most boring light novel trash I've ever read did far more damage to killing the momentum of making more Haruhi anime than Endless Eight.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Anyone here familiar with Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant? I was in the mood for a fun JRPG with cutscenes and voice acting after playing FF7R and after failing to emulate Shadow Hearts I moved on to the sequel. Its been scratching my itch in every way besides for difficulty. Ten hours in and I don't think I've died once, or even been close to dying. Kinda sucks because each character has different special abilities that sometimes include some cool/interesting systems so it seems like there's the potential for tense strategic battles in there. Not sure if I should put it down or not, the characters are likable and the world is cool but maybe not cool enough when the gameplay is so easy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

Anyone here familiar with Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant? I was in the mood for a fun JRPG with cutscenes and voice acting after playing FF7R and after failing to emulate Shadow Hearts I moved on to the sequel. Its been scratching my itch in every way besides for difficulty. Ten hours in and I don't think I've died once, or even been close to dying. Kinda sucks because each character has different special abilities that sometimes include some cool/interesting systems so it seems like there's the potential for tense strategic battles in there. Not sure if I should put it down or not, the characters are likable and the world is cool but maybe not cool enough when the gameplay is so easy.
I definitely recommend sticking with it, the story gets really interesting later on. As for difficulty, SH1 is a bit basic but has some teeth but SH2 has like, two or three bonus challenges in the endgame that are kinda tough and thats about it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gaius Marius posted:

If you queue a heal before taking a fatal hit and then it pops after you take a fatal hit do you not die in earthbound. I think that's what happened when I fought the ant but I'm not entirely sure.

Basically. The character isn't KO'd until the HP counter finishes rolling to zero, so if you already had healing queued (or are quick) you can keep the KO from ever happening

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Basically. The character isn't KO'd until the HP counter finishes rolling to zero, so if you already had healing queued (or are quick) you can keep the KO from ever happening

Thanks. That's what I thought happened but I wanted to make sure I didn't just gently caress up the mental math in the moment. Pretty good mechanic it's nice when rpgs incentivize you to play fast. I kind of wish every game had a chess timer and forced you to move in a few seconds. It would really kill some of the drudgery people feel when playing rpgs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That would be miserable in many systems and ruin the mood of many more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

would also make it much harder for disabled people, when turn-based rpgs are a genre thats usually very accommodating for physical limitations

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fighting Elegy posted:

Absolutely finish up Covenant, it’s worth it. Shadow Hearts 3 is the only game of the three to get really tough and you may want to play it after but it’s like a reverse of Covenant where the greater depth of gameplay is counteracted by not being nearly as interesting narratively.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

would also make it much harder for disabled people, when turn-based rpgs are a genre thats usually very accommodating for physical limitations

Yeah I feel that, I'd like it as a difficulty mode/modifier though, a lot of rpgs that have them are just less money more hp. That's pretty boring, forcing you to make quick tactical decisions is way more my jam. Sorta like a sekiro x dragon quest type deal.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Cognitive as well. I have minor issues from a head injury in high school, and Earthbound's system just completely messes with me there.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
turns having time limits is imo the biggest flaw in baten kaitos. yes i'm including the voice acting

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I feel that, I'd like it as a difficulty mode/modifier though, a lot of rpgs that have them are just less money more hp. That's pretty boring, forcing you to make quick tactical decisions is way more my jam. Sorta like a sekiro x dragon quest type deal.

Minus the dialed-down difficulty, I like how FF7R included a Classic mode option where you just wait for your turn to do abilities/spells and not have to worry about the dynamic combat portion. there were also reports of disabled/elderly fans of the original game who appreciated the less-demanding option as well.

Hopefully other games include dynamic and turn-based options in the future.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nier Automata in easy mode basically had a chip that played for you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tae posted:

Nier Automata in easy mode basically had a chip that played for you.

Nier Automata and Control are perfect examples of developers putting in a ton of work into a game and then be willing to trivialize combat with optional modes.

More games need story modes for the following reasons

- make it so anyone can play as casually as they like to see the story, game design, levels, etc.

- let the pretentious gamer assholes out themselves as they scream to the heavens it's not a "true" video game experience

I'd be fine with disabling achievements or what have you for those playthroughs. I doubt the people wanting to cheat through a game like that are going to be overly obsessed with cheevos/gamerscore.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Honestly, I can't even think of a particularly good argument for disabling achievements for someone using a Story or Assist mode to make playing the game easier for whatever reason. To pull from another genre, Doom Eternal, despite its reputation, is easily one of the most accommodating games I think I've ever played. There's a whole bevvy of cheats that you can find and use throughout the game that do not disable mission progress or achievements for using them, and the game even offers you a powerful combat buff if you die over and over in the same spot on lower difficulties. The only thing using cheats disables is the ability to progress the optional Slayer Gate challenges, and I think having specific achievements for highly skilled play is a perfectly good compromise for not disabling achievements when using cheats in the first place.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

turns having time limits is imo the biggest flaw in baten kaitos. yes i'm including the voice acting

are you kidding me? that would ruin the combat system! figuring out the best combos on the fly is like, half of the gameplay

it would make claw lady playable i guess

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For things that are feats of skill, it's nice to have something to celebrate that and an achievement is a small enough one it doesn't really impact the overall experience of people who can't do it for whatever reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i skimmed youtube vids of the first 12 hours or so of Ys IX and good lord, whoever was talking earlier about the terrible environment design wasn't kidding. brown/grey city, grey sewer, brown plains, grey caves. and all of this after the sweeping and varied biomes of the last game. what the hell happened?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

It's out! It's here! It's Disgaea 6!

Time for me to head up to the old mountaintop hermitage again. I'll let you know how it is when I get back next month.

Is it out on Switch, too? These days I have less and less time for playing at home, but I still make time for my beloved little Switch

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i skimmed youtube vids of the first 12 hours or so of Ys IX and good lord, whoever was talking earlier about the terrible environment design wasn't kidding. brown/grey city, grey sewer, brown plains, grey caves. and all of this after the sweeping and varied biomes of the last game. what the hell happened?

They went for a way different aesthetic and either they didn't nail what they were going for or the aesthetic is just not as good as Ys 8's.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Libluini posted:

Is it out on Switch, too? These days I have less and less time for playing at home, but I still make time for my beloved little Switch

Yeah. In fact at this point it's Switch only in English so I guess Nintendo footed some of the bill for the loc.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

They really wanted to make an assassin's creed city

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

ys 8 takes place on a deserted island, and ys 9 does not

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Girlfriend just reached I think an optional (?) background flashback in Trails in the Sky The Third and it goes to a darker place than fuckin any other game I've ever played, maybe. What an incredible contrast to the derpy doughy chibi models that look so dern cute and cheerful otherwise.

Maybe that's why this flashback was done not with the game's sprites, but mostly text on creepy loving silhouettes of children.

I couldn't stand these games, but Girlfriend loves them and the writing is really good. I'm glad I can vicariously play them through her, and experience the horror of some of the reveals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Nier Automata and Control are perfect examples of developers putting in a ton of work into a game and then be willing to trivialize combat with optional modes.

More games need story modes for the following reasons

- make it so anyone can play as casually as they like to see the story, game design, levels, etc.

- let the pretentious gamer assholes out themselves as they scream to the heavens it's not a "true" video game experience
eh. i think there's some games where having this kinda mode would ruin the point or theme, and i think its fine for devs to not want to put it in. it's the same thing as animal crossing not having a survival sim hardcore mode where you die if you dont drink water. itd go against what the game's going for.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

babypolis posted:

are you kidding me? that would ruin the combat system! figuring out the best combos on the fly is like, half of the gameplay

it would make claw lady playable i guess

eh i feel like this should be more on the deck building than having five seconds to figure out how many 2s you're holding, but i suppose half the status ailments would be pointless without the time limit

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is the new Sakura wars related to the other games of the series plotwise? I've never played the games before (I remember reading about it way back in old game magazines) and wasn't sure if I needed to know anything before jumping in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

eh. i think there's some games where having this kinda mode would ruin the point or theme, and i think its fine for devs to not want to put it in. it's the same thing as animal crossing not having a survival sim hardcore mode where you die if you dont drink water. itd go against what the game's going for.

Honestly, I think making the gameplay difficult in order to set the tone of the narrative is one of a game's biggest advantages over other media. In a traditional story it can be hard to create tension when the audience knows ahead of time that the protagonist is going to succeed in the end, whereas forcing the player to experience all those deaths can make victory seem uncertain and the player way more sympathetic to the protagonist's struggles.

Not that every game can or should do this, but it's a tool in their toolbox that shouldn't be thrown away so lightly imo.