Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

John Murdoch posted:

Arkham Knight has its issues, but it's honestly pretty dang good.

Granted, I didn't have much of a problem with the Batmobile stuff (some of it is over-exaggerated) so YMMV.

I don't think it's bad, but I've tried a few times and I consistently hit a point where my interest just kind of dwindles away and I wander off to something else. I don't even think the batmobile stuff is the worst thing ever, it mostly feels like it was an unnecessary system jammed into a game that didn't really need it - like, why would I ever bother to careen around Gotham's narrow, convoluted streets when I could get anywhere much more easily Batmanning around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Considering that AK is the most Modern Open World Game-y of the bunch (even with Origins having Ubisoft towers, the horror, the horror) and has some pacing wonkiness on top (like how much it pushes the Batmobile early on) I can certainly imagine not being able to stick with it.

Vandar posted:

I like Arkham Knight a bunch except for the stealth Batmobile sections and the tunnels where you fight the Knight in the Batmobile, which is where I quit playing. I should get back and try to power through that section.

Honestly the Batmobile isn't as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. It just takes some getting used to.

Pretty much, yeah. It felt like they could've stood to cut down the car stuff just a smidge to make room for more of the incredibly polished melee combat and actually-good-this-time predator sections.

I am a weirdo who actually kinda likes the Batmobile combat...but I fully realize it doesn't fit Batman very well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arkham Knight is a good game overall (especially with the additional sidequests fleshing out its story) it is just that the car gets in the way more often than not. If you just ignore it until you need it the game is a lot more fun.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
So... what do you think about the batmobile stuff?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Black Mesa: In the course of your duties as Gordon Freeman, you're required to turn on the world's most gigantic fan. That's not the little thing - the little thing is how well the sound of it is attenuated the next room over.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Playing through Black Mesa now myself, thought it was cute how you reach a cache of items in the Lambda reactor by climbing on top of a No Access sign.

Also,

Edit: xen revamp is living up to the hype. Some nice smaller touches:

- jump pads send you to a set location, so less getting lost or random dumb deaths

- long jump module makes you immune to fall damage

- long jump is set up as a double jump in the air instead of a duck-jump from the ground, which feels a lot more reliable and controllable.

yook has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Feb 4, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

In a similar vein, Doom Eternal's graphics presets start with the usual 'Low/Mid/High/Ultra', but if you have the extra horsepower you can set individual settings to 'Nightmare' all the way up to 'Ultra Nightmare' to really push the engine as far as it can go. ULTRA NIGHTMARE shadows looks really crisp! Really love the smoothness of ULTRA NIGHTMARE anti aliasing too. Just a big fan of cranking all my performance settings up to ULTRA NIGHTMARE.

In Unreal Tournament 2k3/2k4 (maybe 99 but I never tried) if you maxed the graphics out it would play the “Holy poo poo!” Multi kill sound bite.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember a lot of the batmobile content being optional, so just getting to the end is pretty fun but 100%ing all the challenges would make you want to kill yourself

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The 100 percent completion ending is also a hell of letdown.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In Unreal Tournament 2k3/2k4 (maybe 99 but I never tried) if you maxed the graphics out it would play the “Holy poo poo!” Multi kill sound bite.

Doom 2016 gives you an achievement for this, congratulating your setup.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

haveblue posted:

I remember a lot of the batmobile content being optional, so just getting to the end is pretty fun but 100%ing all the challenges would make you want to kill yourself

You need to solve almost 250 Riddler puzzles to take him down. He can go on his little rampage in his mech suit for all I care

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

yook posted:

- long jump is set up as a double jump in the air instead of a duck-jump from the ground, which feels a lot more reliable and controllable.

It is better, but I always liked that Half-Life's long jump was a homage to Mario 64.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Batmobile's bad reputation is deserved. It controls alright and it's fun as a novelty, but in the end it's shoved into a lot of (mandatory) story missions and a huge percentage of optional side content/challenges so people disliking the car for having to use it more often than they want to is absolutely valid.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The good innovation in Arkham Knight is the fear takedown (you can instantly take down three people, but it's loud and needs a recharge), imo. Predator mode had gotten pretty staid, and getting to switch it up with an instant multi-takedown was a neat idea!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I quite liked driving around in the Batmobile and non-lethally running over people at 180 mph, but all the shooty tank bits were just miserable.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I hate the batmobile because a bug during one of the batmobile boss fights made the game unfinishable.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The next Arkham game should give you a special ending for purposely avoiding the Riddler trophies, and at the end of the game he just gets so frustrated and pissed off at being ignored he gives himself up. Call the achievement for doing so "Green Balls."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's the only way you win against the Riddler: by refusing to put up with any of his bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SkeletonHero posted:

The next Arkham game should give you a special ending for purposely avoiding the Riddler trophies, and at the end of the game he just gets so frustrated and pissed off at being ignored he gives himself up. Call the achievement for doing so "Green Balls."

iirc he does actually comment on this in Arkham Knight, that game's version of the Riddler questline gets extremely meta by the end. Something about how he knew you would either pick up all of them or none of them and thus you're playing right into his hands either way.

edit: You also can piss him off all the way back in the first game by intentionally getting the opening riddle wrong over and over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y637QKQJVA

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Feb 4, 2021

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

CJacobs posted:

iirc he does actually comment on this in Arkham Knight, that game's version of the Riddler questline gets extremely meta by the end. Something about how he knew you would either pick up all of them or none of them and thus you're playing right into his hands either way.

edit: You also can piss him off all the way back in the first game by intentionally getting the opening riddle wrong over and over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y637QKQJVA

You can do that in the second game, too.

https://youtu.be/ge6WK1Zjlyg?t=1714

Alien Arcana has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Feb 4, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Both of those have nicely demonstrated my problem with these riddles - they're not loving riddles. You literally only need one word from each of them (portrait, instrument) to solve. There's nothing to unpick, it's just a game of hunt the object, but the areas are huge and cluttered and there's nothing in the riddle to actually guide you to the correct location. It's just search around systematically until you find it.

At least the perspective puzzles required you to engage with the environment, those were fun.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Both of those have nicely demonstrated my problem with these riddles - they're not loving riddles. You literally only need one word from each of them (portrait, instrument) to solve. There's nothing to unpick, it's just a game of hunt the object, but the areas are huge and cluttered and there's nothing in the riddle to actually guide you to the correct location. It's just search around systematically until you find it.

At least the perspective puzzles required you to engage with the environment, those were fun.

Yeah, its poo poo from a gameplay perspective, but it fits with the Riddler being a dumb rear end in a top hat who thinks he's way smarter than he actually is.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I like the first few Arkham games but I didn't like that they never could move away from the Joker. I stopped playing Origin a little after that crime scene analyst and its turns out the criminal is.... THE JOKER. I just didn't have the energy to keep playing after that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They basically turned "look for our nerdy easter eggs" into gameplay of a sort. Which I honestly didn't mind most of the time, but a lot of them did have the problem of either being the only object in the entire room with noticeable detail or a total needle in a haystack.

My least favorite is still probably the Solomon Grundy one in Knight, where it's hidden away in a completely obscure little secret passage of an area that you're really unlikely to come across otherwise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ElBrak posted:

I like the first few Arkham games but I didn't like that they never could move away from the Joker. I stopped playing Origin a little after that crime scene analyst and its turns out the criminal is.... THE JOKER. I just didn't have the energy to keep playing after that.

I think Origins actually did a good job with that after my initial “are you loving kidding me?!” moment with the joker reveal. Plus Bane ends up being the biggest threat anyway, but the Joker stuff actually had a lot of work put into it and they pulled it off.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Infamous First Light: There are areas of gas all over the city you can dash into to go faster.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I got Bloodstained off of game pass and the first stage theme sounds very similar to A Whole New World from Aladdin in parts

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think Origins actually did a good job with that after my initial “are you loving kidding me?!” moment with the joker reveal. Plus Bane ends up being the biggest threat anyway, but the Joker stuff actually had a lot of work put into it and they pulled it off.

It would have worked better if Arkham City hadn’t done the exact same thing already.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In Lollipop Chainsaw you get to drive a combine harvester through a field of hick zombies while Dead or Alive's You Spin Me Round plays.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My favourite little thing about that game is that James Gunn cowrote it.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I actually really liked the Riddler trophies in all the Arkham games and got all of them in each one. But then I also did all the question marks in AC Odyssey so I'm aware it's me that's weird.

Anyway, I really like that you have a button to let you pet the foxes in Ghost of Tsushima after they lead you to a shrine. Their happy little jump animation afterwards is lovely.

Bogmonster has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Feb 5, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bogmonster posted:

Anyway, I really like that you have a button to let you pet the foxes in Ghost if Tsushima after they lead you to a shrine. Their happy little jump animation afterwards is lovely.

I just found out you can recruit a cat to your ship in AC:Valhalla and now I'm thinking I picked the wrong game. Kassandra's great and all, but, ship kitty

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Guys, they’re putting Kislev, each of the four Chaos gods, and motherfucking Cathay, which had never had a single official miniature, in the upcoming Total War: Warhammer 3.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Guys, they’re putting Kislev, each of the four Chaos gods, and motherfucking Cathay, which had never had a single official miniature, in the upcoming Total War: Warhammer 3.

Those are clearly big things. Ban this sick filth

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah they're entire countries what is this

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Here's a little thing: Chaos Dwarves may be coming in Total Warhammer 3. Wait, do their hats make them big things?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

In Fire Emblem 3 Houses the max level fertilizer is pegasus "blessings" :allears:

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
No ogors tho which is a strange choice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exquisite tea posted:

The whole experience is what I imagine it must be like to get drunk dialed by aliens.

Now that's a story pitch I wanna see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's the Board from Control, kinda