Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Just hit Hard Time on our rewatch of DS9. I'm now thoroughly depressed

As someone with depression, Hard Time was really hard for me to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
all things considered, man did the romulans make a good loving call when they got the federation to abstain from working on cloaking tech as part of that treaty

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Verviticus posted:

all things considered, man did the romulans make a good loving call when they got the federation to abstain from working on cloaking tech as part of that treaty

I really sincerely hope that the second after Romulus blew up, the Federation President and Starfleet CIC called the Romulan ambassador into their office, had the Treaty of Algernon on the desk with a red pen laid out across it and just went "So..."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

I mean, did they?

Romulans put all their effort into upgrading their cloaking tech, which means that they have ships that are almost but not quite invisible when used against the federation - all that investment but they've just been treading water the whole time.

The federation, on the other hand, spent the entire arms race upgrading their sensors, and now in addition to seeing romulan warbirds, their ships can detect a fly farting in a different solar system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The federation should have kept working on the phasing tech, but without cloaking. Imagine going into any battle and all your disruptor blasts go straight through the other ship.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cojawfee posted:

The federation should have kept working on the phasing tech, but without cloaking. Imagine going into any battle and all your disruptor blasts go straight through the other ship.

Maybe the phasing tech is easily countered with phasers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I mean, did they?

Romulans put all their effort into upgrading their cloaking tech, which means that they have ships that are almost but not quite invisible when used against the federation - all that investment but they've just been treading water the whole time.

The federation, on the other hand, spent the entire arms race upgrading their sensors, and now in addition to seeing romulan warbirds, their ships can detect a fly farting in a different solar system.

Also the trade off seems to be in order to get near-perfect/perfect cloak tech, a ship needs to be gigantic to house the power plant and secondary tech to pull it off. The Scimitar, for example, was able to balance weapons, shields, and cloaking tech, was literally invisible to all forms of detection, and was like 4x the size of the Enterprise-E to the point where it was almost prohibitively gigantic and unreproduceable. And D'Deridexes were like twice the size of the Enterprise-D.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
We also don't know what restrictions were placed on the Romulans; presumably the treaty isn't just "Article One: NO CLOAKS FOR HUMANS. The end!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hidden in a subparagraph on page 715, in very small font, is “In the event of Hobus Star supernova in the future, the Federation reserves the right to drag it’s feet and/or go back on it’s promise with regards to evacuating Romulus.”

Checkmate, Romulan Star Empire!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Tomed Incident and the Treaty of Algeron seem to have precipicated the part where the Romuans just stopped interacting with the Federation at all for a century, so part of it may well have been 'if you don't develop cloaks so we can be sure you're not intruding on us secretly, we'll just ignore your entire direction and only expand on the other side.'

nine-gear crow posted:

I really sincerely hope that the second after Romulus blew up, the Federation President and Starfleet CIC called the Romulan ambassador into their office, had the Treaty of Algernon on the desk with a red pen laid out across it and just went "So..."

The Romulan Star Empire doesn't really exist much as a state by Picard so the treaty may be null and void anyway. The Cube is under the Romulan Free State.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 4, 2021

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Seven talks about the 'former Neutral Zone' in Picard too, so it does seem like the Free State isn't a legal successor to the Romulan Star Empire, so all treaties with the latter are no longer in effect.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Young Old Picard out there lookin’ like Tony Khan.

CAPTAIN PICARD IS ALL ELITE

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Riker's Ctrl+V fleet moment refers directly to the Treaty of Algeron when he issues his ultimatum to So. Presumably this means there are two Romulan governments -- the Free State, which controls the Cube, and the Star Empire which still exists as a junta or something and which is still bound to the treaty, at least in name. Basically STO.

Turns out PIC is bad at worldbuilding.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Riker's Ctrl+V fleet moment refers directly to the Treaty of Algeron when he issues his ultimatum to So. Presumably this means there are two Romulan governments -- the Free State, which controls the Cube, and the Star Empire which still exists as a junta or something and which is still bound to the treaty, at least in name. Basically STO.

Turns out PIC is bad at worldbuilding.

I think the Free State is the Romulan Government as of Picard, because both Narek and Narissa were operating freely and openly on the Cube as Tal Shiar agents with government authority. So the Tal Shiar is still around and recognized as an arm of the Free State’s government.

Though it really wouldn’t surprise me if Romulus getting fragged just broke the Star Empire into a ton of tiny bandit kingdoms and the Federation has to deal with all of them on an ad hoc basis while still trying to hold them to the single unified standards of the old Star Empire.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the Free State is the Romulan Government as of Picard, because both Narek and Narissa were operating freely and openly on the Cube as Tal Shiar agents with government authority. So the Tal Shiar is still around and recognized as an arm of the Free State’s government.

Could kinda be neat if it were sorta both. A fractured Romulan empire with warlordism and separate, conflicting governments claiming to be the true successor.... with the one thing binding them all together being the presence of the Tal Shiar in each of them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Could kinda be neat if it were sorta both. A fractured Romulan empire with warlordism and separate, conflicting governments claiming to be the true successor.... with the one thing binding them all together being the presence of the Tal Shiar in each of them.

It would also be amazingly on brand if the only thing actually coordinating between those fractured states was the Tal Shiar itself.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but all the crew members who were in the path of that disruptor blast are now blind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shyrka posted:

Yeah but all the crew members who were in the path of that disruptor blast are now blind.

Not if you tune the optilon field emitters correctly, dummy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Technowolf posted:

As someone with depression, Hard Time was really hard for me to watch.

Star Trek Mercerism, but instead of Mercer plodding along having rocks thrown at him, its O'Brien

Milesism

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gonz posted:

Hidden in a subparagraph on page 715, in very small font, is “In the event of Hobus Star supernova in the future, the Federation reserves the right to drag it’s feet and/or go back on it’s promise with regards to evacuating Romulus.”

Checkmate, Romulan Star Empire!

"hahaha, assholes, we blew up our own star too!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BonHair posted:

Watching the two good Star Wars movies

You an Emp/Jedi guy or a New/Emp guy?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't really care about the post-90s canon, but was there ever a satisfactory explanation as to how their home star managed to go supernova without anyone being aware in time to prevent it or fully evacuate?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

You an Emp/Jedi guy or a New/Emp guy?

Christmas special/phantom menace.

But seriously, Jedi is the first of many bad Star Wars movies.

I haven't watched Picard yet, but I love the idea of a fractured romulan empire, where all the various groups sees themselves as the legitimate heir, and thus subject to the tal shiar controlling them live they always have, and effectively leaving the secret police being in charge of everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not a Jedi guy either, that's why I got my hopes up when you said 2.

Also what you described is more interesting than what we get in Picard so don't go imagineering a better show than the one you'll eventually watch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

multijoe posted:

I don't really care about the post-90s canon, but was there ever a satisfactory explanation as to how their home star managed to go supernova without anyone being aware in time to prevent it or fully evacuate?

before picard it was a neighboring star having a space wedgie

picard made it the romulan sun because :effort:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I'm not a Jedi guy either, that's why I got my hopes up when you said 2.

Also what you described is more interesting than what we get in Picard so don't go imagineering a better show than the one you'll eventually watch.

The Star Wars trilogy is Rogue One, New Hope, Empire and then there aren't any other movies.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
In the star trek universe stars can randomly explode for no reason. There's no way to detect when a star is going to randomly go nova.

Unlike reality where we can identify stars that are likely to go supernova any minute now* with our existing technology.

*(any minute now, +/- a few million years.)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The Star Wars trilogy is Rogue One, New Hope, Empire and then there aren't any other movies.

Rogue One seems like the most offensive of them all since it directly modifies the original movie and makes it farcical (also just morally, not cool with disney puppeting the dead, there is no hell but having your image suddenly be working for disney beyond the grave is so deeply hosed up and the world just shrugged). Just making Leia caught so red-handed is a little ridiculous, like, before it was like there was espionage and intrigue before Leia, instead now she's just flat out caught fleeing the scene of a crime and Vader fuckin saw the thumbdrive they stuck the plans out... which is itself was another detriment. Changed his original first appearance by giving it a preamble where he does a raver lightshow while gooftroopers play hot-potato with the plans but Vader is too busy letting some goober at ILM throw red lights everywhere as if special effects are still impressive. IDK chop off the last twenty minutes or so of Rogue One and undo the necromancy and I could meet you halfway.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

The Saddest Robot posted:

In the star trek universe stars can randomly explode for no reason. There's no way to detect when a star is going to randomly go nova.

Unlike reality where we can identify stars that are likely to go supernova any minute now* with our existing technology.

If a star goes nova with no obvious reason it means the Q are fighting again.

You'd think they could just fix the stars after they're done fighting but they're kind of lovely.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jedi is good, y'all haters.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

The star in Half a Life was predicted to die, as was the replacement star they hosed up. Also Burnham wanted to stay at the outpost where her parents were killed to see a star go nova I think.

My point is that they clearly can predict stars dying, it's just inconsistent writing and/or unexplained romulan pride/incompetence/denial. Or a secret plot to be revealed later I guess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it was a tal shiar plot

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's not exactly out of character for them, is it?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda appreciate that when STO did their own take on an explanation, they started off by having a character straight-up say "even by the loopy standards of Trek astrophysics, nothing about Hobus makes any goddamn sense. The explanation they go for (Tal Shiar experimenting with a "communications device" given to them by the Iconians, who did it because they're still salty as hell over losing Iconia countless millennia ago) is reasonable enough by Trek standards, and it sets up a lot of the various conflicts in the game.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Drone posted:

Jedi is good, y'all haters.

Jedi is fuckin' awesome. Old man commandos, swordfight with intermission and all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

raverrn posted:

Jedi is fuckin' awesome. Old man commandos, swordfight with intermission and all.

Counterpoint: ewoks. Yoda's crazy old hermit act becoming his actual personality. Cartoonishly evil emperor. Way too long battle scenes, on the moon and especially in space.

Is Star Trek online actually good if I have no particular interest in the MMO aspect of the game, but just my Trek loreb fix?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

BonHair posted:

Cartoonishly evil emperor.

Sorry but if you can't appreciate Ian McDiarmid's blatant and brilliant scenery-chewing, I can't help you. It's the most campy thing about Star Wars and subsequently one of the best things about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BonHair posted:

Is Star Trek online actually good if I have no particular interest in the MMO aspect of the game, but just my Trek loreb fix?

It's kind of fun. I haven't played in several years, but when I did it was just shoot at things until number goes down enough that the thing dies. If you don't like MMOs, it's not great. If you don't mind MMOs, it is probably ok.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
STO is worth playing for the later missions that are voiced by Trek actors reprising their roles, but the endgame stuff is just a horrible monotonous grind. Even the space stuff is just “shoot mans” ad infinitum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

BonHair posted:

Counterpoint: ewoks. Yoda's crazy old hermit act becoming his actual personality. Cartoonishly evil emperor. Way too long battle scenes, on the moon and especially in space.

I tried it when it went F2P and again recently after watching TNG. It’s... alright to pretty decent. Space combat and all the fiddly character builds you can do is good.

If you like trek and okayish MMOs and have some free time, it costs nothing.