Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So the solar panels the size of Rhode Island are to scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

1 au is 40km just like real life.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean, there's lots of published articles on how to calculate Orbital period, etc given certain input factors. It's way easier to use that in your code (scaling distances displayed down as appropriate) and have the seed values be constrained procedurally generated values, rather than write your own weird poo poo.

poo poo even kerbal space program does this to an extent, even though the planets are on "rails" the periods and such are accurate based on the scale. Or at least as accurate as the model they used, since the 3-body problem is hard.

Edit: since they're using Cartesian coordinates mapped to a sphere they're probably super math nerds. :spergin:

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 4, 2021

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

LifeSunDeath posted:

Fun fact:

You can go into planet view and snatch stuff from towers from anywhere on the map, you're welcome.

Yeah, these two are definitely the top tips I wish I'd found out about like 40 hours earlier.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I always just assumed the robot is very big

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I’m a scrub so I just stumble around my home planet and grab whatever poo poo I need for my next poorly optimized addition.

This has been a huge chunk of the last 20 hours of my game. It occurred to me a while ago that the smartest thing I should have done is just immediately automate the production of whatever new thing I unlocked without worrying about how much of it I might need later.

Because you need a lot.
Of everything.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Even if the robot is big, the size of a planet is not to scale with the size of the solar system, which is not to scale with the distance between stars.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

1 au is 40km just like real life.

That is not what being "to scale" means

Azhais posted:

So the solar panels the size of Rhode Island are to scale?

I'm talking about the celestial bodies and the physics of their movement. The robot/buildings/whatever appear to have their own scale completely based on the fact you zoom around the world at 100m/s which is only like 200MPH.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Getting factory fatigue. Purple is pretty close to being up and running and I just kind of don't care anymore. Wish there were more equipment upgrades, like belts and sorters fine, but I've only gotten one better assembler and everything else is slow as hell even though I have 10 chem plants in a row making plastic, stuff like that takes way too long on a per building basis. Or wish there were some kind of alternate currency you could grind to get better mech stats sooner, I'm actually super sick of dealing with power issues on my mech and just want a drat portable solar panel already.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jarmak posted:

That is not what being "to scale" means

That was just a joke, but the game really isn't to scale. It's cool that the orbits obey kepler's laws, but that's not what it means to be to scale.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm actually super sick of dealing with power issues on my mech and just want a drat portable solar panel already.

Do you have deuterium rods? I filled my inventory with those and haven't had to think about power for a few play sessions.

Edit: VV or yeah fusion cells, whatever they're called. The canisters you make with Deuterium.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Or wish there were some kind of alternate currency you could grind to get better mech stats sooner, I'm actually super sick of dealing with power issues on my mech and just want a drat portable solar panel already.

Slam fusion cells into your mech and forget about power.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

explosivo posted:

Do you have deuterium rods? I filled my inventory with those and haven't had to think about power for a few play sessions.

Edit: VV or yeah fusion cells, whatever they're called. The canisters you make with Deuterium.

Ah, yes I have the tech and haven't messed with it yet. I'll focus on that next play, purple is just making me groan and roll my eyes rn.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ah, yes I have the tech and haven't messed with it yet. I'll focus on that next play, purple is just making me groan and roll my eyes rn.

Yeah truthfully I'm getting a bit of that fatigue as well, the dyson sphere stuff at the end of the tech tree is not super exciting, although I did just discover that there's a third tier of assembler that I haven't researched yet. But if power is a drag absolutely check out those fusion cells because they're perfect for exactly what you want them to do. They're great to provide power to your base too because of how slowly they burn in the fusion generators (although I know you're not exactly starved for base power :v: )

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

LifeSunDeath posted:

Hoo boy, you are not gonna like green...

Griz
May 21, 2001

DelphiAegis posted:

So as I set up something new like titanium glass, I see something I need not coming out and have this fun trek back through my supply chain to eventually fix it.... And I enjoy that so much for some reason?? Send help.

I finished everything that didn't require purple/green science without any local logi towers by tacking more bits onto my initial setup and adding various bypasses and loops when it got stuck

finally built logi to deal with purple science and now I can see that the nearest system has a pile of fancy resources so I might just move over there

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

This has been a huge chunk of the last 20 hours of my game. It occurred to me a while ago that the smartest thing I should have done is just immediately automate the production of whatever new thing I unlocked without worrying about how much of it I might need later.

Because you need a lot.
Of everything.

This is something that isn't really telegraphed well in the game. I unlocked so many techs without an obvious need until I needed to build interstellar logistics. I'd spent so much time fiddling with increasing my blue and red production and then had to crash run assemblers without even proper automation to get logistics ships bringing titanium to my home planet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LOL, yeah I know. Factorio did me right by making post rocket research. Because drat at that point I couldn't build more complexes if you paid me and was thankful I could just opt for credits. I did a play through in early access too and there was just nothing after rockets...green and white feel like that to me, it's so far you just don't need to bother unless you're super into the game for the long haul.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

That was just a joke, but the game really isn't to scale. It's cool that the orbits obey kepler's laws, but that's not what it means to be to scale.

Yeah I wasn't thinking of the planet size to distance scale, I just thought it was cool the math all worked out on the celestial movement.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It does feel like there should be a tech cube in between red and blue to try and push people towards automation earlier while also not overwhelming with early unlocks.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

One more thing for now, my sail speed got up to 1800m/s and goddamn it makes getting around the system really fast. That one was a shock cause I'd just done so much auxiliary research in cue that I didn't realize I had it, then blasted to my farthest planet in no time at all and it ruled.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Because you need a lot.
Of everything.

One of the things I noticed is how much benefit there is to automating tier 1 belts/sorters/assemblers, especially given that it's a simple three belts (plates gears chips) + three assemblers setup. In addition to making sure you're carrying the right resources, it also achieves some great levels of resource compression (note that stacks of belts and sorters are twice as large in DSP as in Factorio). Versus carrying plates/gears/chips, belts are 2:1 compression, sorters are 3:2, and assembling machines are 7:1.

It's weird that out of Factorio, Satisfactory, and DSP, none of them have a "dispenser chest" that acts like a low-tier version of logistics robots. It seems like an obvious way of encouraging players to start thinking early about reducing repetitive tasks thru automation.

Rynoto posted:

Slam fusion cells into your mech and forget about power.

Yeah one of the other things I learned is that you should fuel your mech with whatever the highest tier of fuel you can produce is instead of planning around wireless power towers. Energetic graphite is available early and ultimately renewable, and fuel rods are incredibly cheap for what you're getting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
As a further note on mech power, the reason the fusion cells are so good is because of its Fuel Chamber Gen multiplier here:

Hydrogen, Refined Oil, and Energetic Graphite are other solid fuel sources before fusion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the last eight or nine hours of my playtime has mainly just been me figuring out a green cube production line. I am not remotely close to finished.

My lava planet engine production line is gonna be sweet though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rynoto posted:

It does feel like there should be a tech cube in between red and blue to try and push people towards automation earlier while also not overwhelming with early unlocks.

Yeah, the curve to get science up and running seems to be exponential in terms of difficulty. Blue needs some raw resources and some assemblers, Red is suddenly "Shitloads of oil and hydrogen", yellow is massive amounts of plastic. I've bounced off it a couple times as the speed to make plastic seems to involve me building most of my planet into a plastic factory just to get something close to more than 1 yellow science a minute. Seriously, the build time for plastic is hilariously slow. I can go to a whole different planet, set up an entire titanium ingot manufacturing facility with all related power needs, and come back to a stack or two of plastic total. I don't want to use every bit of oil I have, plus set aside half my planet just to get a decent amount of plastic for organic crystals. I know there's veins of it on some planets, but not every system has it starting out.

That's not even counting how much power infrastructure has to be expanded, along with the amount of new stuff you have to build just to get the refineries and the chemical plants up, and the sheer amount of belts you need to set it all up to get automated. I don't even want to think about the next one after yellow, holy poo poo. I'll need another planet just for the parts.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Because you need a lot.
Of everything.

This is my approach to factory games. Even if you have to slap together some garbage that runs slowly and spaghettis all over the place I still think that's better than hand crafting. You at least get the experience of looking at the products required and the ratios.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of products required, I just realized last night that regular assemblers and the brown engine things have the same inputs. So if your little starter factory is making assemblers, you can make a few stacks then just change the recipe to get a head start on the engines, which you’ll use one or two of.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

IcePhoenix posted:

I think the last eight or nine hours of my playtime has mainly just been me figuring out a green cube production line. I am not remotely close to finished.

My lava planet engine production line is gonna be sweet though.

I have an ice planet that has silicon, iron, and titanium that was mining/smelting/shipping only. For green I shipped in other items (mainly copper/hydrogen/fire ice) and slapped all my production on the ice planet and just ship back the green cubes. It helped to have a giant blank canvas to paint the green cube production chain onto.

As of last night my horribly unoptimized chains have 5 research facilities running full time, and the new goal is to do the observe-improve-observe cycle until I have at least 20 facilities worth of green cubes churning out constantly.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I'm up to 8 rocket silos running continuously. :) I'm curious, for those goons that already finished their spheres, how many silos did you end up running?

I'm really enjoying the late game so far. I'm on this loop where I add more production to my supply chain, so I can send more rockets, so I can get more photons, so I can make more antimatter, so I can run more artificial suns (and get more white cubes), so I can get more power, so I can add more production to my supply chain, so I can send more rockets, and so on. It's so satisfying.

I don't usually enjoy endless modes in games. I always dip out after I finish the final objective. But in this one, I didn't feel like the mission-complete message was anywhere near the end. I felt like I was just getting started on the real project, which is building your sphere.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I clicked a button in the bottom left to take me to a dyson sphere design screen or something, but now I can't seem to get back out of it.

There's no obvious return button and neither right-clicking nor any other keyboard keys take me back. Am I missing something?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Won the game after 100 hours. I feel like I've seen everything the game has to show now, so I'm giving it a rest until content updates.

I didn't finish any Dyson Sphere panels and got all my anti matter from solar sails, which is kind of disappointing.

Some tips:

In demolition mode you can hold down the mouse button after deleting a belt to delete only belts that connect to it, and then the next. So all you need to do to delete a line is run the mouse along it, no need to worry about deleting any other belts or buildings you also run over.

While placing belts you can hold down shift to disable snapping - you can also place a single belt by clicking the same spot twice. This can help when creating a 3d path since you can lay down connecting nodes ahead of time.
When placing belts with a turn, pressing R will change the orientation of the bend.

Always have a chest or storage logistic station for stockpiling stuff from production lines. You will need resources for your own bootstrapping needs. Just grab intermediate products from lines for other products. The chests will eventually fill up, so doing that won't hurt your throughput in the long run.

Mistakes I made:

Working out ratios for buildings and intermediate products I had automated - this was pointless, most of them just end up idle due to full storage. Ratios are fine and good for stuff you need continually, like research.

Not organizing things spatially. I let resource nodes or lack of belts dictate to me where I built expansions to my factory, so I ended up getting lost in a confusing mess. All that's needed for level 1 belt production is an iron mine or two, two assemblers, three smelters, a warehouse and 11 sorters. Make as many belt factories as you need to keep your factory organized and fed. Leave some room for logistic towers and belts running to/from them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lowen posted:

Won the game after 100 hours.

I didn't finish any Dyson Sphere panels

these are contradictory statements

Abx0r
Jan 12, 2007
Objection!

Han Nehi posted:

I'm up to 8 rocket silos running continuously. :) I'm curious, for those goons that already finished their spheres, how many silos did you end up running?

I completed my sphere with 20 rocket silos and 80? (I lost count) railguns.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man these games are just great for playing on the sofa while watching TV at the side. I appreciate the game play loop of building a weird monster of belts and buildings only to find out I need to scale it by about 10, and also my design sucks rear end so I have to start from the bottom, or wait, what if I add a belt here..? Also finding out basic features after 3 hours is hilarious, it took me way too long to figure out buildings can just load between themselves without any belts, for example.

Just wish the tutorial was a bit more checkpoint based, I'm randomly researching and building complexes due to knowing the basics of the genre from factorio, but I have no idea what steps I need to get into space, or how close I am to start a sphere.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kin posted:

So I clicked a button in the bottom left to take me to a dyson sphere design screen or something, but now I can't seem to get back out of it.

There's no obvious return button and neither right-clicking nor any other keyboard keys take me back. Am I missing something?

Escape key works fine here. Though I agree, there should be some UI element to get out of that screen.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally got the full star cluster scan and unipolar magnet patches are as rare as I was expecting. One around a neutron star 30 light years away from my home system and another around the black hole on the far edge of the cluster. Still at 3.2 GJ core capacity on my mech so I can't make the warp in one trip but it still seems easier to wait in interstellar space for a few minutes and warp again than set up automation for more of those drat green motors.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

IcePhoenix posted:

these are contradictory statements

Eh, I'm not going to go through the trouble of setting up a rocket factory just so that I can slowly build the thing that I don't even need. Setting up just one factory was more than enough to put me off the game for now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the only rare resources I really wanted were things that prevent the need to expand the oil loop, so fire ice number 1, organic crystal and spiriform whatevers to make nanotubes joint number 2. Everything else seemed really easy to make.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lowen posted:

Eh, I'm not going to go through the trouble of setting up a rocket factory just so that I can slowly build the thing that I don't even need. Setting up just one factory was more than enough to put me off the game for now.

the game is called the Dyson Sphere Program not the White Cube Program :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The job is not done until we have enslaved every star in this cluster under the banner of glorious space communism.