Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Story nissions range from awful to quite good, and all content is easy enough that it can be completed without paying real money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Just making Leia caught so red-handed is a little ridiculous, like, before it was like there was espionage and intrigue before Leia, instead now she's just flat out caught fleeing the scene of a crime and Vader fuckin saw the thumbdrive they stuck the plans out... which is itself was another detriment.

Counterpoint: the whole thing being "Do you know why I pulled you over?" scene is awesome.

Also, it was always that way. Leia was always caught red-handed (Don't act so surprised, Your Highness.), Vader always knew she was a loving liar (You weren't on any mercy mission this time.), and Vader was always an eyewitness to her receiving the plans (Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, I'm not sure what ANH you were watching, but everything from Rogue One leads right into ANH. The movie starts with her ship being chased by a star destroyer. The only thing questionable about the movie was CGIing a guy to look like Tarkin.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

STO is worth playing for the later missions that are voiced by Trek actors reprising their roles, but the endgame stuff is just a horrible monotonous grind. Even the space stuff is just “shoot mans” ad infinitum.

It does nail down the zippyness of the defiant and the lumbering enterprise-d pretty well at least.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I enjoyed the STO mission where I had to clump around on the outside of DS9 in magnetic boots. That was good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sash! posted:

Counterpoint: the whole thing being "Do you know why I pulled you over?" scene is awesome.

Also, it was always that way. Leia was always caught red-handed (Don't act so surprised, Your Highness.), Vader always knew she was a loving liar (You weren't on any mercy mission this time.), and Vader was always an eyewitness to her receiving the plans (Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.).

Yeah I can see re-framing it as that first thing to make the medicine go down a bit more. And was it really always that way? Like either in intention or in old-EU? Not saying thats authoritative either way, just curious if it really was always that way. I'd grown up taking it be just the space nazis hunting down a rebel and bullshitting they know everything and/or are surveilling in general, like, I'm not taking the evil dudes' words at face value. In any case Ive never encountered anyone else who shared my opinion here so I guess people just ain't feel the way I do bout necromancy, raver vader, and a prequel that lead directly into a classic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what ANH you were watching, but everything from Rogue One leads right into ANH. The movie starts with her ship being chased by a star destroyer. The only thing questionable about the movie was CGIing a guy to look like Tarkin.
I didn't LIKE Rogue One - probably in part from the time when I saw it (after a certain fellow won a certain election, and we could go to movie theaters casually) but also because I disliked the overall tone of the film - but I think that in terms of where it snapped into the storyline, it was unnecessary, but fine. My biggest complaint is the suggestion that you kind of just go from the end of Rogue One STRAIGHT into the opening of A New Hope: at some point it seems like it is okay to make the movie breathe.

HopperUK posted:

I enjoyed the STO mission where I had to clump around on the outside of DS9 in magnetic boots. That was good.
Did they finally do a lot of DS9 stuff? I wandered off because they went from the cool dyson sphere zones to... something a lot shittier, I forget what.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khanstant posted:

And was it really always that way? Like either in intention or in old-EU? Not saying thats authoritative either way, just curious if it really was always that way.

Yes:

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire.

This is the Battle of Scarif now.

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR, an armored space
station with enough power to
destroy an entire planet.

This is Rogue One transmitting the plans to the Rebel fleet.

Pursued by the Empire's
sinister agents, Princess
Leia races home aboard her
starship, custodian of the
stolen plans that can save
her people and restore
freedom to the galaxy.…

Leia bugs out from the battle with Vader in hot pursuit, which they know they can't escape from him. So they're going to dump the plans on Obi-Wan, knowing that he'll come out of retirement to deal with it.

And that's where the movie starts.

Now, the earliest EU version of what happened comes from the 1981 NPR radio drama. Leia goes to Toprawa, where the battle took place, and the Rebels directly transmit the plans to her. Vader is, like, right there when it happens and takes off after her. If they'd called Scarif Toprawa, it would have been pretty close to what was already established.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Did they finally do a lot of DS9 stuff? I wandered off because they went from the cool dyson sphere zones to... something a lot shittier, I forget what.

There was a full DS9 mission arc with lots of actors from the show and it was probably the best stuff the game has ever done.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nessus posted:

I didn't LIKE Rogue One - probably in part from the time when I saw it (after a certain fellow won a certain election, and we could go to movie theaters casually) but also because I disliked the overall tone of the film - but I think that in terms of where it snapped into the storyline, it was unnecessary, but fine. My biggest complaint is the suggestion that you kind of just go from the end of Rogue One STRAIGHT into the opening of A New Hope: at some point it seems like it is okay to make the movie breathe.

They did a whole quasi Season 8 with a bunch of the cast returning. I remember it being pretty average, but it’s nice to have Auberjonois as Odo again and Martok becomes a part of the episode arcs that come after.

Robert O’Reilly currently plays Gowron’s grandpa in one of the newer Klingon stories.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Word, well II just had my own ideas all along. Ain't the only thing that's the case for, kind of why I only read a few EU books. Well that was the last passionate argument I had about Star Wars left in me and it's a wash. CGI Tarkin just rolls into all the other reasons to boycott Disney. Changing my sw stance to there is one good movie and it's a videogame that exists more in my memory than in reality because I'm not re-playing kotor to find out if it's still good or not.

Trek has some stinker moments but something about it just never let's it reach a critical disappointment threshold. Three seasons of Disco and I'm impatient for the next and fill that void with just Better Treks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Saddest Robot posted:

In the star trek universe stars can randomly explode for no reason. There's no way to detect when a star is going to randomly go nova.

Unlike reality where we can identify stars that are likely to go supernova any minute now* with our existing technology.

*(any minute now, +/- a few million years.)

*We assume.

There isn't anything to suggest our knowledge regarding stellar evolution is incorrect, however we only have a few decades of experience really. It's possible (albeit unlikely) that some star will go nova tomorrow and we'll have to rewrite those assumptions.

All that said though, it's the loving Romulans. They probably accidentally flew a singularity into it or something.

I'd love to see late 24th century conspiracy theories. You just know that there would be a lot of people deeply suspicious about the fact that Picard, a captain who lost his ship to an artificially prompted supernova, also led the "rescue fleet" to save Romulans from their unexpected supernova.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wolf 359 was an inside job! Changelings aren't real, the Dominion War never happened!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The supernova wasn't unexpected, the Romulans knew about it for years but dragged feet on doing anything about it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Wolf 359 was an inside job! Changelings aren't real, the Dominion War never happened!
That whole sequence had me rolling

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Word, well II just had my own ideas all along. Ain't the only thing that's the case for, kind of why I only read a few EU books. Well that was the last passionate argument I had about Star Wars left in me and it's a wash. CGI Tarkin just rolls into all the other reasons to boycott Disney. Changing my sw stance to there is one good movie and it's a videogame that exists more in my memory than in reality because I'm not re-playing kotor to find out if it's still good or not.

Trek has some stinker moments but something about it just never let's it reach a critical disappointment threshold. Three seasons of Disco and I'm impatient for the next and fill that void with just Better Treks.

Different strokes and all, but I checked out of Trek after about season 5 of Voyager, there literally hasn't been a good Trek in almost 20 years now imo even if you try to count parts of Enterprise. Meanwhile Star Wars has had at least the Clone Wars and Mandalorian.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

The supernova wasn't unexpected, the Romulans knew about it for years but dragged feet on doing anything about it

Yeah, Trek '09 made it sound like Romulus's star blew up and it happened suddenly and randomly. Prime Timeline Trek explained/retconned it so that a star near Romulus went supernova, like four or five lightyears away and the shockwave it put out traveled at light speed and was going to destroy Romulus before it dissipated. So they had like half a decade to evacuate and they dithered like idiots and intentionally sabotaged international relief and evacuation efforts like Picard's Dunkirk flotilla.

Because Romulans are stupid.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
ST09 was so stupid. I still love the whole "YEAH BUT THIS ENTERPRISE AS ~~~BIG~~~ AS THE GALAXY HURR"

Nemesis was bad at least it was forgettable bad. Jar Jar Trek ruined trek for like... forever now? Isn't all NuTrek basically still Bad Robot production company?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've decided watching Enterprise has been worth it because of how often Shran strides into an episode in progress all WHAT'S UP LOSERS

All I want in future is for him to start doing that in other Treks. Even if it doesn't make sense. Especially if not. Just show up to kick the plot in the teeth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I've decided watching Enterprise has been worth it because of how often Shran strides into an episode in progress all WHAT'S UP LOSERS

All I want in future is for him to start doing that in other Treks. Even if it doesn't make sense. Especially if not. Just show up to kick the plot in the teeth.

They were going to make Shran a main cast member if they got a fifth season and have him be on the Enterprise as a liaison from Andoria like T'Pol was for Vulcan. The fact that we never got this is just infuriating.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jeeves posted:

ST09 was so stupid. I still love the whole "YEAH BUT THIS ENTERPRISE AS ~~~BIG~~~ AS THE GALAXY HURR"

Nemesis was bad at least it was forgettable bad. Jar Jar Trek ruined trek for like... forever now? Isn't all NuTrek basically still Bad Robot production company?

No. Bad Robot has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than ST09, Into Darkness, and Beyond, despite what garbage like WeGotThisCovered and CosmicBookNews have been saying every week for the past 4 years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

It's pretty well established that the JJPrise was originally designed at half the scale, 360m, and then doubled to better fit the shuttlebay scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No. Bad Robot has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than ST09, Into Darkness, and Beyond, despite what garbage like WeGotThisCovered and CosmicBookNews have been saying every week for the past 4 years.

How many times did Alex Kurtzman get fired today? I haven’t checked lately.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

How many times did Alex Kurtzman get fired today? I haven’t checked lately.

No no no, Thursday is Kathleen Kennedy on the Online Boogeyman of the Day schedule. Kurtzman is tomorrow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No no no, Thursday is Kathleen Kennedy on the Online Boogeyman of the Day schedule. Kurtzman is tomorrow.

God, to think I could have been swimming in money right now if I only had the wherewithal to put a urinal on my head and film myself being wrong about everything ever instead of just doing let’s plays as a pro bono hobby.

gently caress my life.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the Free State is the Romulan Government as of Picard, because both Narek and Narissa were operating freely and openly on the Cube as Tal Shiar agents with government authority. So the Tal Shiar is still around and recognized as an arm of the Free State’s government.

Though it really wouldn’t surprise me if Romulus getting fragged just broke the Star Empire into a ton of tiny bandit kingdoms and the Federation has to deal with all of them on an ad hoc basis while still trying to hold them to the single unified standards of the old Star Empire.

I think one way to look at it is like the USSR and Russia. The USSR no longer exists, but many of it's state apparatus still exist in Russia and the Russian Federation, and the same treaties are enforced.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Astroman posted:

I think one way to look at it is like the USSR and Russia. The USSR no longer exists, but many of it's state apparatus still exist in Russia and the Russian Federation, and the same treaties are enforced.
Not impossible it's even the same trajectory: a brief period of "Well, at least we have the freedom of space and expr - oh, the old guys want to do the same poo poo again and if we don't go along with it they'll kill us all before the Federation could get here? Well, guess that's that."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm at star trek discovery s2 e7 "light and shadows" and just like how is this show so bad? Who would write this? Why?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Do they want to punish me? Me specifically???

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Trek '09 made it sound like Romulus's star blew up and it happened suddenly and randomly. Prime Timeline Trek explained/retconned it so that a star near Romulus went supernova, like four or five lightyears away and the shockwave it put out traveled at light speed and was going to destroy Romulus before it dissipated. So they had like half a decade to evacuate and they dithered like idiots and intentionally sabotaged international relief and evacuation efforts like Picard's Dunkirk flotilla.

Because Romulans are stupid.

Nah, in Picard it's the Romulan Sun that went supernova, it's just that they had a year or two where they could tell the supernova was coming and used it to people off Romulus itself, and even after the supernova happened it was only the start of the relief armada because the shockwave was spreading through Romulan space and all of the core other Romulan worlds were in the path, not to mention that to get people off Romulus they'd shunted a bunch to nearby systems with the intent to continue to move them further out later, to buy time, and so it's all a big mess.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Nah, in Picard it's the Romulan Sun that went supernova, it's just that they had a year or two where they could tell the supernova was coming and used it to people off Romulus itself, and even after the supernova happened it was only the start of the relief armada because the shockwave was spreading through Romulan space and all of the core other Romulan worlds were in the path, not to mention that to get people off Romulus they'd shunted a bunch to nearby systems with the intent to continue to move them further out later, to buy time, and so it's all a big mess.

This seems less stupid than a supernova that threatened to destroy the galaxy but not by a whole lot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cenotaph posted:

This seems less stupid than a supernova that threatened to destroy the galaxy but not by a whole lot.

Basically Spock’s version of events as told in Star Trek ‘09 should not be taken at face value and just assume that he’s dumbing things down and leaving a lot of steps out because he thinks young Kirk (and the general moviegoing audience) is a loving rube simple goldfish brained idiot.

The broad strokes of what he talked about happened, just not in the order or level of speed he implied they did. So basically from the perspective of the general public in the Prime universe, everyone saw Spock just fly into a supernova like an idiot and die without solving anything.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every explanation sounds really stupid and contrived and I stand by my decision to ignore anything past the end of DS9

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically Spock’s version of events as told in Star Trek ‘09 should not be taken at face value and just assume that he’s dumbing things down and leaving a lot of steps out because he thinks young Kirk (and the general moviegoing audience) is a loving rube simple goldfish brained idiot.

The broad strokes of what he talked about happened, just not in the order or level of speed he implied they did. So basically from the perspective of the general public in the Prime universe, everyone saw Spock just fly into a supernova like an idiot and die without solving anything.

I'm not interested in ret conning JJ and friends notoriously dog poo poo writing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cenotaph posted:

I'm not interested in ret conning JJ and friends notoriously dog poo poo writing.

I mean, you kinda got to on some level because they jumped the rail and peed into the adult pool in the process of making babby’s first soft plastic Fun Trek instead of just leaving well enough alone. And we’ve all got to deal with that here in gross miserable Real Trek.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 5, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Smythe posted:

Do they want to punish me? Me specifically???

I mean, is it really punishment if it's voluntary?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

multijoe posted:

Every explanation sounds really stupid and contrived and I stand by my decision to ignore anything past the end of DS9

But then you miss out Lower Decks.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sash! posted:

If Vader was capable of introspection, he'd be thinking "oh poo poo is what the Jedi Council felt like when they dealt with a young me?"

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Goblin Craft posted:

Different strokes and all, but I checked out of Trek after about season 5 of Voyager

You might wanna revisit those last few seasons, I'd say seasons 5 and 6 have the highest quality eps. Which isn't saying much but still. The Equinox two parter is one of the only eps Ron D Moore liked and he felt the entire series should've been like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RIP General Chang

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1357750602080677890?s=21