Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

The Couch Console is now buying 60-second Youtube ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NLAYH-cd0

:psyduck:

And they're up to $2.1 million :shepspends:

They show up every once in a while in the ads in my phone's news feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

they're all over facebook, it's nuts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Read it incorrectly and thought it was a conch consol. Really disappointed now.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mr.Radar posted:

The Couch Console is now buying 60-second Youtube ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NLAYH-cd0

:psyduck:

And they're up to $2.1 million :shepspends:

When I see the ads I kinda assumed it's like those ads that show people as being really inept at holding bowls or putting on shoes and you assume the market is for the woefully lazy when the actual target demographic is disabled people.

I mean, I think it's kinda pointless, but I could totally see people buying them for their grandparents.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Grandparents who don't own end tables.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

goldenninjawarrior posted:

All grandparents own end tables I think it's like a requirement

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Slippery posted:

All grandparents own end tables I think it's like a requirement

Yes, but those are already full of porcelain figurines and plates with paintings of Victorian children on them.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
And specifically these mints

Only registered members can see post attachments!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

And specifically these mints

Is there some factory somewhere that just cranks out these and werthers originals and just all the “old people candy” or is it all still left from the 1970s?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Or couches where the middle backrest folds down in to a tabletop with cup holders.

letthereberock posted:

Is there some factory somewhere that just cranks out these and werthers originals and just all the “old people candy” or is it all still left from the 1970s?

Werthers Originals are better than most candy other than peanut butter M&Ms and if anyone disagrees well you have every right to be wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How many times has the handkerchief been reinvented now?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tm_campaign=TRS

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Okay, question.

Let's say I've got a hundred thousand dollars.

Would it be viable for me to make a stupid-rear end pseudo-environmental kickstarter with a relatively small goal, throw that hundred k into it via sockpuppets to make it blast past its goal and become raging popular, and then harvest the donations from well-meaning idiots who think they've found the next big green thing?

Followup, is anyone able to lend me a hundred thousand dollars?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Len posted:

This isn't a kickstarter for handkerchiefs. They show in the video that they already kickstarted those (and made $800,000).
This kickstater is for a box to put the handkerchiefs in.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This isn't a kickstarter for handkerchiefs. They show in the video that they already kickstarted those (and made $800,000).

:eyepoop:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

letthereberock posted:

Werther’s is a big German company.

There are a couple of US factories that make US old people candies. Spangler Candies makes circus peanuts and root beer barrels and bought the rights to Necco Wafers. Hammond’s Candies makes that weird ribbon candy and flat taffy and other grandma faves. Piedmont Candy makes those butter mints and 19th-century style peppermint puffs and so on.

Candy never dies.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I use handkerchiefs but I'll be goddamned if I'm folding them individually into a box.

I just keep them in a drawer.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AlbieQuirky posted:

Werther’s is a big German company.

There are a couple of US factories that make US old people candies. Spangler Candies makes circus peanuts and root beer barrels and bought the rights to Necco Wafers. Hammond’s Candies makes that weird ribbon candy and flat taffy and other grandma faves. Piedmont Candy makes those butter mints and 19th-century style peppermint puffs and so on.

Candy never dies.

Wait, someone brought back Necco Wafers? Yessssssssss

Absolute god tier road trip snacks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Every day that passes since the last time someone gifted me Necco Wafers is a triumph :colbert:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Butter mints are loving great though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who makes the little strawberry ones?

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Len posted:

I can see myself using these, mostly because no matter the brand or type of tissue, I sometimes end up super irritated by the tissue fiber and particles when my allergies are acting up. It turns into a viscous cycle of every time I blow my nose I get more stuffy.

But I also can't imagine anyone I have ever lived with being willing to put up with the extra hassle of reusable tissues. Also I am CERTAIN I'd accidentally throw the reusable tissues out on accident constantly due to muscle memory. Thus defeating the purpose.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pasketti posted:

a viscous cycle of every time I blow my nose I get more stuffy.

The only time "viscous cycle" has ever been correct

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Somfin posted:

Okay, question.

Let's say I've got a hundred thousand dollars.

Would it be viable for me to make a stupid-rear end pseudo-environmental kickstarter with a relatively small goal, throw that hundred k into it via sockpuppets to make it blast past its goal and become raging popular, and then harvest the donations from well-meaning idiots who think they've found the next big green thing?

Followup, is anyone able to lend me a hundred thousand dollars?

You lose something like 10% to kickstarter and fees, but you could always cancel the project if things weren't going your way. But there are also a lot of metrics about how many people are pledging when and with what rewards that make it more obvious when people are playing games like that.

The real downfall to a lot of these failed kickstarters is that making more money just sells more units but if they don't have the experience needed to budget the project correctly they may not have set the prices high enough to make even one unit profitably in the end. Not to mention things like stretch goals that can add extra features and rewards without costing each backer more.

I think many of the honest but out of their depth projects that require manufacturing of genuinely new products end this way. And they don't even get to run away with the money like a genuine scam project might.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1134625468/mini-milktea-mug-take-the-tea-shop-home

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's weird that they have to point out "Food grade material"

Like yes.. I would expect that to be the case, and it's weird that you feel you need to mention that during the campaign.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Infinitum posted:

It's weird that they have to point out "Food grade material"

Like yes.. I would expect that to be the case, and it's weird that you feel you need to mention that during the campaign.

If you go into the comments someone has linked two websites already selling the thing, and with their $500 goal

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Doesn't Kickstarter have explicit rules against "kickstarting" products that already exist?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Doesn't Kickstarter have explicit rules against "kickstarting" products that already exist?

Yeah, if someone reports it with a link to the actual product they'll most likely take it down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

But it's different this one is 110v or 220v

quote:

Thanks so much for your support. The product you mentioned here is the first version and it is only for China. The Voltage is only 220v and there is no certification. You could see the details, Even the function words on the products are Chinese.

For our MINI Milk Tea Mug, it is a new version for international marketing. There are a lot of functions that have been upgraded.

1, The voltages are 110v and 220v now, you could choose the right one to fit your needs.

2, There is a hole on the top to fit a straw. It is designed as a mug to use. We also provide a stainless steel straw.

3, We upgrade the temperature and stirring control algorithm to make it easier to use.

4, We have CE FCC for this MINI Milk Tea Mug for our international sales

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

But it's different this one is 110v or 220v

tbf if they're actually paying for CE or FCC emissions testing compliance that's probably several grand in costs

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

CE marking is self-certified and essentially meaningless.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

lmao at the $7 upgrade for a set of measuring spoons you could buy from the dollar store

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's...quite a timeline for product design and iteration. Still, good on them for surpassing the $500 they needed to make it a reality!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a British white guy whose ethnic heritage is just white since about twenty minutes after man left Africa. I fear the sun as direct contact with its rays would have about the same effect on me as on the vampires in Blade. With that in mind: this woman looks seriously pale. Is she ill?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I dunno unnaturally pale is how all white people look like to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've lived indoors for 11 months and I'm not that pale.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

That's...quite a timeline for product design and iteration. Still, good on them for surpassing the $500 they needed to make it a reality!

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: The 2ed Version

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Blue Moonlight posted:

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: The 2ed Version

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

tbf if they're actually paying for CE or FCC emissions testing compliance that's probably several grand in costs

Yeah but their target goal was $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Yeah but their target goal was $500

Oh yeah I find it a loving scam too but I'd laugh it costs them money somehow.