Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jenny Agutter posted:

did they actually release any first party games?

how would anyone know? did anyone buy a stadia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they apparently didn't setup the studios until they announced stadia and shut them down like a year later, so no. exactly like how Nintendo releases a new console without any launch titles, says it will get right on starting to develop a mario, and gives up a year later

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
even funnier when you remember they released a chromecast that didn't include stadia support, despite the chromecast being explicitly a thing to stream poo poo to your tv

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

they apparently didn't setup the studios until they announced stadia and shut them down like a year later, so no. exactly like how Nintendo releases a new console without any launch titles, says it will get right on starting to develop a mario, and gives up a year later

imagining a game studio with google's development culture and lollin. it's be worse than cyberpunk 2077

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hF9Ys4PWA

this voice over says "one ui three" so many times it makes it sound even more nonsensical

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

crepeface posted:

imagining a game studio with google's development culture and lollin. it's be worse than cyberpunk 2077

funnily enough I’m sure I read that playing via stadia was one of the least worse cp77 experiences.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

crepeface posted:

cyberpunk 2077 was a game that was released, so in that sense it’s infinitely better than any game google would make, which would never be released.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

crepeface posted:

That’s not fair. Cyberpunk 2077 was actually released and is better supported than Stadia ever was or will be.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
an unreleased game could be good, but a rushed game is forever bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

crepeface posted:

an unreleased game could be good, but a rushed game is forever bad

somehow duke nukem forever managed to be both

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

even funnier when you remember they released a chromecast that didn't include stadia support, despite the chromecast being explicitly a thing to stream poo poo to your tv

you dont quite have that right. they released a chromecast that didnt include stadia support despite the chromecast being explicitly REQUIRED to play stadia on a tv

it wasnt a "drat we shouldve merged these two similar things" but rather a "we merged these two similar things but did not talk to either team about it"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

funnily enough I’m sure I read that playing via stadia was one of the least worse cp77 experiences.

yeah i was going to say that everything i read said it was easily the best way to play it but then it could just be pr and no one would ever know because no one outside the tech blog industry has ever used a stadia

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
i did a stadia trial, the technology itself is great but there's just not enough content to be worth it. games run really smoothly and with no lag, but gui/menu features are lacking. it was incredibly dumb for google to not release stadia along with the new chromecast w/ google TV, but apparently the reason for that is they are waiting for TV manufacturers to release it with the new chromecast built-in. last i heard stadia should be available on the new chromecast once these new TVs come out, maybe Q1 2021?

imo content is king. the underlying technology is solid, but i dont see google outperforming the competition in this space.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
tbh stadia is starting to be appealing since it’s impossible to buy a new video card

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Weaponized Autism posted:

last i heard stadia should be available on the new chromecast once these new TVs come out, maybe Q1 2021?
great idea in a year when almost all consumer electronics are delayed 3-6 months

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Weaponized Autism posted:

i did a stadia trial, the technology itself is great but there's just not enough content to be worth it. games run really smoothly and with no lag, but gui/menu features are lacking. it was incredibly dumb for google to not release stadia along with the new chromecast w/ google TV, but apparently the reason for that is they are waiting for TV manufacturers to release it with the new chromecast built-in. last i heard stadia should be available on the new chromecast once these new TVs come out, maybe Q1 2021?

imo content is king. the underlying technology is solid, but i dont see google outperforming the competition in this space.

they really should have launched it as a beta vs declaring it ready for a full launch, particularly when it comes to device support. no native ios support, tvos in particular, is a huge drawback. that was largely due to apple and their recently eased "no game streaming" policy though (steamlink is allowed because it's technically classified as a remote desktop client)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

but google never releases beta software?¿?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Casual Encountess posted:

but google never releases beta software?¿?

HELP! Someone get a doctor, they're having a stroke!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gmail was "beta" for the longest time

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Silver Alicorn posted:

tbh stadia is starting to be appealing since it’s impossible to buy a new video card

as someone who had their video card fry itself a few weeks ago im really feelin this

would never do stadia tho

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be honest, the call screen feature in my pixel 3a (hand in hand with the scuffed but still usable live transcription) has saved me an incredible amount of time and frustration on spam calls

Maybe I'll keep this phone for another year instead of getting an iphone se. I really hope they get the car warranty and home energy spammers to close up shop by then.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

as someone who had their video card fry itself a few weeks ago im really feelin this

i'd give it a try to play cyberpunk as it doesn't seem that i'm getting new hardware any time soon

no apple tv support yet though, and i'm not installing chome

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Zamujasa posted:

as unsustainable as onlive was, it worked alright for single player games on old systems and i can see stadia doing the same. i trusted it more than I'd trust stadia because at least they tried to maintain their service for a few years

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sb hermit posted:

gmail was "beta" for the longest time

flashbacks to people going insane over Gmail invites, feeling like they were in an exclusive club of this brand new email experience - a bit bigger of an inbox and all your poo poo being read. wow what did we do before them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

flashbacks to people going insane over Gmail invites, feeling like they were in an exclusive club of this brand new email experience - a bit bigger of an inbox and all your poo poo being read. wow what did we do before them.

Hotmail

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, the state of webmail in those days was loving dire

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

this but wave

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

EL BROMANCE posted:

iirc 1gb was huge at the time. i think my isp gave me something ridiculous like 40mb.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

yeah, the state of webmail in those days was loving dire

webmail is and has always been unusable garbage

just use thunderbird ffs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lysidas posted:

just use thunderbird ffs

imap doesn't support 2 factor authentication

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lysidas posted:

just use thunderbird ffs

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lysidas posted:

just use thunderbird ffs

webmail is unusable garbage

thunderbird is also unusable garbage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

crepeface posted:

iirc 1gb was huge at the time. i think my isp gave me something ridiculous like 40mb.

i was using lycos which was 15mb inbox and i think 2mb max attachment size

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

this but wave
:rip: wave

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

as a thunderbird user i can confirm this

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Agile Vector posted:

as unsustainable as onlive was, it worked alright for single player games on old systems and i can see stadia doing the same. i trusted it more than I'd trust stadia because at least they tried to maintain their service for a few years

geforce now actually works quite well, and probably is the biggest reason for stadia failing since you can use your existing Steam purchases with it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the biggest reason for stadia failing is that it was a google product that wasn't advertising

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

infernal machines posted:

the biggest reason for stadia failing is that it was a google product that wasn't advertising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my favorite stadia detail was that the controller had a microphone built into it - a fact that was completely unmentioned in any of the promotional or technical documentation that accompanied the launch of the device

google apologized for the accidental "oversight"