Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orv posted:

Shenmue was always trash. :colbert:

Funky Valentine posted:

Yakuza's high-concept is "what if Shenmue was good?"

agreed, OPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is Stuffed

your mom, op

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i mean i still ended up wishlisting a dozen games from this festival but last year's festival at this time was buckwild by comparison

e: at this point 50 of the 158 games on my wishlist are games that haven't released yet

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 5, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's fair, I hadn't really messed with the previous festivals so I didn't have a good point of comparison.

As for Almighty: Kill Your Gods I honestly am not sure what to think of this game. The movement and general feel of it give me the same kind of dumb glee something like Prototype does but with considerably heavier jank. I'd say give it a try if the idea of extremely janky Prototype meets kinda sorta but not really Monster Hunter appeals to you? It's going into EA sometime this year so it won't be remotely done for a while yet but it's a whole fuckin' thing and it's been a while since I spent most of my try of a game laughing and asking "What the gently caress?"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

bees x1000 posted:

I am having the hardest time getting into Rimworld. 20 hours worth over the last 6 months and every chance I give it I'm just... eh. Dwarf Fortress is much more fun and I don't know why.

I recently find myself wishing for something that is roughly in between the two. I love the craziness of depth DF but I often find myself frustrated with the Z-level system and wish for the days of DF 23a with its 2d map and recognizable, distinctive features (underground rive,r chasm, lava river, HFS). Unfortunately going back to it doesn't work its just too old and clunky lol.

Maybe a very limited number of Z-levels. Like... 10 or so. But not the dozens/hundreds DF has.

Hopefully the Steam version will make it easier for me to process Z levels. I dunno.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 5, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Odd Realm is an option, though it is not as fully featured as RimWorld or DF. I'd still call it a good alternative and you might as well try it, because it was in The Itch.io bundle, which means there are very good odds you own those realms.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

New Humble Monthly:

Outward
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Endless Space 2
Moving Out
Trine 4
Wild Eight
Train Station Renovation
Valfaris
Werewolf: Heart of the Forest
Lovecraft's Untold Stories
Iris and the Giant
Boomerang Fu

Looks like a pretty decent mix of chaff and good games? I'm at least interested in VC4, Endless Space 2, and Trine 4.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have any thoughts on Star Control Origins?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

I loved SC2 and the reviews seem pretty positive.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

google Brad Wardell

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Better to play the open-source remake of Star Control 2, really.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

I just tried it and the look of it is fantastic and I did not like the actual combat at all, especially since I found what was probably an optional boss before getting any new weapons.

I was in the same boat.

"HERE IS A FIRE SPELL"

Awesome!

"IT DOES NOTHING TO ZOMBIES. BUT YOU CAN BLOW UP BARRELS AND YOU HAVE A HEAVY STICK. THE ZOMBIES GO DOWN IN 3 TO 4 HITS."

Oh, okay then. Just a warm up for the REAL weapons in this game.

"HERE IS A THUNDER SPELL"

Now we are talking!

"IT ONLY STUNS ZOMBIES BUT OTHERWISE IT DOES NOTHING."

I...okay...

"SPEAKING OF ZOMBIES HERE IS A BUNCH MORE OF THEM"

Alright I am buying this expensive sword.

"IT IS ONLY BARELY BETTER THAN THE STICK"

OH FOR FU

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 5, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

That's fair, I hadn't really messed with the previous festivals so I didn't have a good point of comparison.

As for Almighty: Kill Your Gods I honestly am not sure what to think of this game. The movement and general feel of it give me the same kind of dumb glee something like Prototype does but with considerably heavier jank. I'd say give it a try if the idea of extremely janky Prototype meets kinda sorta but not really Monster Hunter appeals to you? It's going into EA sometime this year so it won't be remotely done for a while yet but it's a whole fuckin' thing and it's been a while since I spent most of my try of a game laughing and asking "What the gently caress?"

This got me to hit install. Can't think of a better dickhead simulator than the original Prototype.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GrandpaPants posted:

New Humble Monthly:

Outward
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Endless Space 2
Moving Out
Trine 4
Wild Eight
Train Station Renovation
Valfaris
Iris and the Giant
Boomerang Fu

Looks like a pretty decent mix of chaff and good games? I'm at least interested in VC4, Endless Space 2, and Trine 4.

There's at least four games I want from this thing, so uh if anyone has a year membership and they don't care to redeem this month, sell me the fullset on SA Mart or whatever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MarcusSA posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

I loved SC2 and the reviews seem pretty positive.
A new SC4 (made by the same creators) is coming out soon.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Wasn't there some whole big back-and-forth lawsuit with SCO vs SC4 about who had ownership of one of the alien races? How'd that all end up panning out?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

GrandpaPants posted:

New Humble Monthly:

Outward
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Endless Space 2
Moving Out
Trine 4
Wild Eight
Train Station Renovation
Valfaris
Iris and the Giant
Boomerang Fu

I always say if there are at least 2 games that you want, its worth it. I have most of the "bigger" games already, but i count 4 that are on my wishlist.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is Trine 4 the one that isn't the terrible sequel? The bundle looks great and certainly worth the sub.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

New Humble Monthly:

Outward
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Endless Space 2
Moving Out
Trine 4
Wild Eight
Train Station Renovation
Valfaris
Iris and the Giant
Boomerang Fu

train station renovation is good for people like me who like games like barn finders and house flipper

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Doesn't Shenmue ask you to literally wait around in real time for 30 minutes at some points?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Wasn't there some whole big back-and-forth lawsuit with SCO vs SC4 about who had ownership of one of the alien races? How'd that all end up panning out?

I actually heard they settled on agreeable terms to both parties, supposedly.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lol, the Steam forums for the Mass Effect remaster are in a hilarious meltdown because it's missing the worst DLC in the series (Pinnacle Station for ME1, nothing but a series of combat maps with no story for a game with terrible combat. Apparently the studio that made it (not Bioware) let the source code get corrupted) and the "censorship" of Bioware re-framing the camera in a few conversations in ME2 to not focus on Miranda's rear end.

The Steam forums for just about any game are a cesspool, I don't know why I keep looking at them. Atrocity tourism, maybe?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All that other stuff is who cares but no MP is a disgrace.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Veotax posted:

Lol, the Steam forums for the Mass Effect remaster are in a hilarious meltdown because it's missing the worst DLC in the series (Pinnacle Station for ME1, nothing but a series of combat maps with no story for a game with terrible combat. Apparently the studio that made it (not Bioware) let the source code get corrupted) and the "censorship" of Bioware re-framing the camera in a few conversations in ME2 to not focus on Miranda's rear end.

The Steam forums for just about any game are a cesspool, I don't know why I keep looking at them. Atrocity tourism, maybe?

It's fun to see what people are conjuring up out of thin air to get mad about. I swear, every time I look there's at least one thread that's like "SO DOES THIS GAME JUST SUCK?" and it's just a rant about how much they hate it. Or, endless complaints about "bad ports" because it doesn't run perfectly on their system.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best bit of steam (and this isn't that common but when you see it you'll always laugh) is people putting a negative review for games they've put dozens and dozens of hours in

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In all fairness, bad ports are very prone to just randomly not running properly on some systems for completely unknowable reasons.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best bit of steam (and this isn't that common but when you see it you'll always laugh) is people putting a negative review for games they've put dozens and dozens of hours in

"Now I know it says I have 2000 hours in DOTA 2 but this just gives me more of a reason to say I do not recommend this game!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

All that other stuff is who cares but no MP is a disgrace.

Agreed

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

explosivo posted:

"Now I know it says I have 2000 hours in DOTA 2 but this just gives me more of a reason to say I do not recommend this game!"

To be fair that's more or less how I feel about Warframe. Yes, I have 1,380 hours on record. No, it wasn't worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonkeyforaHead posted:

To be fair that's more or less how I feel about Warframe. Yes, I have 1,380 hours on record. No, it wasn't worth it.

I figured that out in two :grin:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I've played a lot of games that I had fun with and spent a decent amount of time on, but that I wouldn't necessarily recommend to anyone because they're just too flawed. The lack of nuance in the whole thumbs-up/thumbs-down rating system results in that kind of decision sometimes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have definitely made fun of people who have put in 2,000 hour negative Steam reviews and I will stand by that in most cases because when people do it they don't tend to be rational about it and the reviews tend to look like screeds from a murder mystery movie. That said, there's definitely a place in the world of live service games where that's a legit problem to have and it sucks when it happens.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Orv posted:

I should go looking for people who are mad about the purity of DF being ruined by a mouse interface. I'm sure they exist and are a hoot.

I ardently wish that the steam Dorf Fortress has achievements because those grogs will lose it.

Also cause I like cheevos, especially in open sandbox games cause I suck at pursuing self motivated goals.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Orv posted:

I just tried it and the look of it is fantastic and I did not like the actual combat at all, especially since I found what was probably an optional boss before getting any new weapons.

I have to agree on the Graven demo. Combat felt bad and movement was a bit too floaty for my liking. Also, I started to feel motion sickness, even with the FOV cranked to max. At least they put in an FOV slider, so that's something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looks like Humble is getting a decent spread this month.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey, been curious about Outward for ages but unsure if I'd like it all so that's good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Iris and the Giant definitely looks like it could be a good game.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
They're still making Trine games?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Outward, Valkyria, Endless Space, Trine and Valfaris I have all heard some good things about and the rest looks decent to at least bad in a funny way, so for me at least this looks like it won't be a skip month.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is Trine 4 the one that isn't the terrible sequel? The bundle looks great and certainly worth the sub.
Trine 4 is definitely an iteration on their formula. If you liked 1 or 2 you'll almost certainly like 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I liked Trine 3 better than Trine 2, but I think I'm the only one.