Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Code Jockey posted:

Interior fire pit suffocater
I drive a box truck people immolater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Well sure, but then you'd be in Cibola County, NM. After driving for an hour, you're still an hour away from civilization.
Sounds like heaven. Tell me more.

"hydronic" is the new geothermal. You can use the constantly-55 water as your thermal mass for a heat pump. You can pump heat out of the 55-degree water and put that heat in your space, and vice versa. It lets you have an arbitrary temperature inside your dwelling. You just have to size your hydronic field so that it can absorb the heat changes, either warming up or cooling down before that well is needed again.

Oh looked up hydronic. One of mothers houses was set up with this. It was still rather cold. I will look into it. It still looks like a lot of electricity.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 5, 2021

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Well sure, but then you'd be in Cibola County, NM. After driving for an hour, you're still an hour away from civilization.

Climate change probably isn't going to be very friendly to anyone living there 10-15 years from now, too.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Ry the drop ceiling fire baffle to compensate the open flame basically turns your entire home into a giant wood burning stove.. Big Hansel and Gretel vibes. I hate to go on about it but it's literally a recognised suicide method to light a charcoal barbeque in your car.

Something like this?

I can't speak for the quality of this product but there exist a few stoves specifically for using inside tents, usually semipermanent like yurts or bell tents. What about a canvas tent or awning that folds out above and locks I to placeover the Murphy Porch?

Also if you are still planning on driving the box truck you really don't want an open bucket of ash getting shaken around in your sleeping quarters.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

kicks forts posted:

Ry the drop ceiling fire baffle to compensate the open flame basically turns your entire home into a giant wood burning stove.. Big Hansel and Gretel vibes. I hate to go on about it but it's literally a recognised suicide method to light a charcoal barbeque in your car.

I can't speak for the quality of this product but there exist a few stoves specifically for using inside tents, usually semipermanent like yurts or bell tents. What about a canvas tent or awning that folds out above and locks I to placeover the Murphy Porch?

Also if you are still planning on driving the box truck you really don't want an open bucket of ash getting shaken around in your sleeping quarters.

We will see how it goes first. I like to see something fail at least once before ruling it out.

The stovey thing looks cool, has an open grill thing which is kinda what I'm wanting, but only three legs?

As for the bucket of ash it would be outside my sleeping quarters and of course I'd dump the ash.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

We will see how it goes first. I like to see something fail at least once before ruling it out.

The stovey thing looks cool, has an open grill thing which is kinda what I'm wanting, but only three legs?

As for the bucket of ash it would be outside my sleeping quarters and of course I'd dump the ash.

So yeah, you already plan on not having a back door on the thing, so why would including a murphy fire pit indicate that you need to close the porch when you go to bed?

As far as the levelling goes, I think there is another solution besides the singular and very specific one you're currently envisioning. Note: I think this goes for pretty much every item in every post of yours.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

Yeah earthships are pretty cool. One issue with them that people don't realize is that in an earthship or any building that has a major geothermal component, is that geothermal unless you're near a volcano or particularly radioactive land usually only maintains a temperature of 55 degrees which some people are unaccustomed to living at that temperature in their leisure. Living in GroverTruk for a while, anything above 50 degrees actually feel acceptable to me now that I've adapted to it.

State code however mandates that interiors of living spaces are to be heatable to 68 degrees under winter conditions when measured a foot from a wall and 3 feet up from the floor. So geothermal isn't really allowed as a stand alone in my state.

When you say radioactive, what do you mean?

Earthships are a really cool idea, are they practical in temperate climates? I usually only see them in high desserts.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

kicks forts posted:

it's literally a recognised suicide method to light a charcoal barbeque in your car.

Rytheric posted:

I like to see something fail at least once before ruling it out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

Earthships are a really cool idea, are they practical in temperate climates? I usually only see them in high desserts.

My guess is radon gas.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

OP get a lawyer and title company involved to make sure you actually buy your land and don’t just give some guy $10K for land he doesn’t actually own. You need a deed and you need to take it to the county courthouse to get recorded and poo poo.

While you’re talking to a lawyer, have them write a will for you too since seems like you might need one soonish. Healthcare power of attorney at least so when you are comatose from carbon monoxide poisoning someone can actually make the decision to remove you from life support.

E: love the thread though! Some neat stuff happening here! There’s a green building thread somewhere in this sub forum you might want to check out.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Elviscat posted:

relocating murderhut to the bikini atoll and dissociating while i talk to what i believe to he spongebob squarepants

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
OP please list this thread's contributors as your power of attorney

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Elviscat posted:

There's pretty significant variations in how radioactive soil is, mostly on the basis of its potassium, radium, uranium, and thorium concentrations. Pitchblende is an example of a pretty famously radioactive ore, since it's the one that Curie used to isolate radium.

I'm fuckin losing it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tulip posted:

There's pretty significant variations in how radioactive soil is, mostly on the basis of its potassium, radium, uranium, and thorium concentrations. Pitchblende is an example of a pretty famously radioactive ore, since it's the one that Curie used to isolate radium.

I'm fuckin losing it

Yeah, but how would that correlate with geothermal heating?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you happened to live in Gabon 1.7 billion years ago, you'd get some natural radioactive heating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

Rytheric, fold out your murphey time machine and get some radiothermal heating.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 5, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Elviscat posted:

When potassium-40 turns into calcium-40, or thorium-232 kicks off its decay chain, it releases some amount of radioactive energy in the form of gamma rays, some electron(s), or a big chunky alpha particle. That's basically the fundamental thing that being radioactive means: the nucleus is in an unstable configuration and moves to a more stable configuration by releasing energy.

That energy goes somewhere and if we're talking about a big pile of dirt with some radioactive stuff in it, then a lot of that energy is going to be absorbed by the surrounding dirt as heat, raising the temperature of your dirt.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elviscat posted:

Well, if you have enough radioactivity in the soil, it could locally raise the temperature.

Not so much that it would differ by more than a degree or so vs the rest of the continental shield temperature, but hey, your muderhaus is now at fifty SIX degrees.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, if you have enough radioactivity in the soil, it could locally raise the temperature.

Not so much that it would differ by more than a degree or so vs the rest of the continental shield temperature, but hey, your muderhaus is now at fifty SIX degrees.

No way.

Specific heat capacity of dry soil is 800 joules/kg

1 Joule=6.242x10^12 MeV

The most energetic decay of Radium is about 14 MeV

1 decay/sec= 1 Bq of activity

So we need about 5x10^15 total decays to heat 1 kg of soil 1 degree C

Spread that over the course of a day, or 86,400 seconds and that's 5.8x10^10 Bq/kg of activity, for reference the average concentration of radionuclides earth wide is about 500 Bq from all sources, the worst contaminated areas of the Nevada test sites are about 3.7x10^6 Bq/kg of Plutonium.

370 Bq/kg yields about 1mSv of radiation 1 Meter above the ground, so 5.8x10^10 Bq/kg would yield about 1.6x10^6 Sv of radiation exposure 1M above ground, so this level of radioactivity would yield about 100,000 times the lethal dose in an hour.

I'm sure my math's incomplete, not taking into account all radionuclides and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure it's not 6 orders of magnitude off, and there's almost nowhere on earth that is radioactive enough to be substantially warmer than nearby areas simply from alpha decay, I know deeper in the earth's crust and in the core is a different story, and I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but as someone that deals with heat produced from radioactive decay professionally, activity levels high enough to produce enough sensible heat to be useful for geothermal heating doesn't pass the sniff test. The only articles I can find about geothermal heating are in the same vein as this IAEA article talking about radionuclide residues from deep geothermal wells.

Safety Dance posted:

If you happened to live in Gabon 1.7 billion years ago, you'd get some natural radioactive heating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

Rytheric, fold out your murphey time machine and get some radiothermal heating.

Weird poo poo like the Gabon Reactor/Arc of the Covenant not withstanding

E: looks like 2g/Kg of Pu238 typically used in RTGs could do it, with reasonable radiation exposure, but that's a man-made isotope.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 5, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

No way.

Specific heat capacity of dry soil is 800 joules/kg

1 Joule=6.242x10^12 MeV

The most energetic decay of Radium is about 14 MeV

1 decay/sec= 1 Bq of activity

So we need about 5x10^15 total decays to heat 1 kg of soil 1 degree C

Spread that over the course of a day, or 86,400 seconds and that's 5.8x10^10 Bq/kg of activity, for reference the average concentration of radionuclides earth wide is about 500 Bq from all sources, the worst contaminated areas of the Nevada test sites are about 3.7x10^6 Bq/kg of Plutonium.

370 Bq/kg yields about 1mSv of radiation 1 Meter above the ground, so 5.8x10^10 Bq/kg would yield about 1.6x10^6 Sv of radiation exposure 1M above ground, so this level of radioactivity would yield about 100,000 times the lethal dose in an hour.

I'm sure my math's incomplete, not taking into account all radionuclides and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure it's not 6 orders of magnitude off, and there's almost nowhere on earth that is radioactive enough to be substantially warmer than nearby areas simply from alpha decay, I know deeper in the earth's crust and in the core is a different story, and I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but as someone that deals with heat produced from radioactive decay professionally, activity levels high enough to produce enough sensible heat to be useful for geothermal heating doesn't pass the sniff test. The only articles I can find about geothermal heating are in the same vein as this IAEA article talking about radionuclide residues from deep geothermal wells.

Weird poo poo like the Gabon Reactor/Arc of the Covenant not withstanding

E: looks like 2g/Kg of Pu238 typically used in RTGs could do it, with reasonable radiation exposure, but that's a man-made isotope.

what if you put a lead firepit over the radioactive ground?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

what if you put a lead firepit over the radioactive ground?

Well, I don't know the breakdown of that 370Bq/M/mSv thumbrule the IAEA uses, but most of the radiation exposure from naturally occurring radioisotopes should be in the form of inhalation of alpha-emitting gasses, so a properly designed firepit could conceivably be used to draw that gas in, and expel it upward, with a properly designed chimney/vent, thereby reducing exposure, much like a Radon mitigation system in a home.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ah yes, finally we have arrived, a safety firepit

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I found a paper from the Colorado School of Mines where they flew an airplane over known uranium deposits and open-pit uranium mines and the earth there was about 1°K warmer. So, stuff is going on with nuclear decay, but probably not enough to heat your house with unless you're camped directly on top of a huge pile of yellowcake.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Have you considered jumping off a cliff and flapping your wings to see if you can fly? Just one time, I mean, so you can see it fail before ruling it out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Danhenge posted:

Have you considered jumping off a cliff and flapping your wings to see if you can fly?

:jerkbag:

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Danhenge posted:

Have you considered jumping off a cliff and flapping your wings to see if you can fly? Just one time, I mean, so you can see it fail before ruling it out.

Don't post poo poo like this, tia.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I see the firepit being dug into the ground with part of a 55 gallon drum over it. the murphy porch has a circular cutout and some fire resistant material applied to the underside, maybe some strong wire mesh or a grate on top so that you can walk over the hole.

so the porch comes down and the firehole in the porch couples with the drum chimney from the fire pit. also a little section of eave comes up to keep the back part of the porch dry and or shaded

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I found a paper from the Colorado School of Mines where they flew an airplane over known uranium deposits and open-pit uranium mines and the earth there was about 1°K warmer. So, stuff is going on with nuclear decay, but probably not enough to heat your house with unless you're camped directly on top of a huge pile of yellowcake.

I may not know a ton of geology, but I know enough to know that there aren't buried mineral deposits that will make a thermometer read 1 degree celsius warmer when there's hundreds of feet of air between the thermometer and the mineral deposit. I may be wrong, but I feel like no one would bother using expensive gamma ray spectrometers to find radioactive mineral deposits if a thermometer would do the job just as well

Also, the amount of radiation that would make a thermometer in a plane read a full degree higher than the surrounding areas would kill a person so quickly that humans wouldn't be able to set foot on the mineral deposits, let alone mine it. Just think about the scale of things for a minute, you'd need exposed minerals as ridiculously dangerous as Corium to be radioactive enough to heat the surrounding air hot enough to read it from a plane, and exposure to hot corium is lethal within minutes

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Don't post poo poo like this, tia.

:emptyquote:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So yeah, you already plan on not having a back door on the thing, so why would including a murphy fire pit indicate that you need to close the porch when you go to bed?

As far as the levelling goes, I think there is another solution besides the singular and very specific one you're currently envisioning. Note: I think this goes for pretty much every item in every post of yours.

:hmmyes:

However, this would imply that if I ever wanted to access the back without entering through the cab I would have to have space to lay down the Murphy porch. I believe a pull out porch would probably be more suitable, but then I'd be exposed to the sun without an awning. And I may be too lazy to pull it out one day.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 6, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Danhenge posted:

Look. We all learned this lesson when we were kids. Right? I mean I broke both my arms trying to do this no hands thing on a swing. Part of childhood is learning your mortal limits lol.

Or did yall take for faith that your parents and teachers were telling you the truth that you had bones before seeing them yourself? I know I was in aw when I first saw my bones sticking out

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 6, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

I may not know a ton of geology, but I know enough to know that there aren't buried mineral deposits that will make a thermometer read 1 degree celsius warmer when there's hundreds of feet of air between the thermometer and the mineral deposit. I may be wrong, but I feel like no one would bother using expensive gamma ray spectrometers to find radioactive mineral deposits if a thermometer would do the job just as well

Also, the amount of radiation that would make a thermometer in a plane read a full degree higher than the surrounding areas would kill a person so quickly that humans wouldn't be able to set foot on the mineral deposits, let alone mine it. Just think about the scale of things for a minute, you'd need exposed minerals as ridiculously dangerous as Corium to be radioactive enough to heat the surrounding air hot enough to read it from a plane, and exposure to hot corium is lethal within minutes

My understanding is that most of geothermal heat is the result of radioactive decay. Why would the ground that has never been heated up by the sun be warmer than the surface above if there isnt a heat input.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Door Frame posted:

They were pointing a radiometer at the ground and measuring the surface temperature of the ground. They were not detecting the air temperature around the airplane. It was also 1969 and their IR thermometer wasn't great, and it was super hard to get useful information out of the noise.
https://mountainscholar.org/bitstream/handle/10217/69269/0144_Bluebook.pdf

Rytheric posted:

:hmmyes:
However, this would imply that if I ever wanted to access the back without entering through the cab I would have to have space to lay down the Murphy porch. I believe a pull out porch would probably be more suitable, but then I'd be exposed to the sun without an awning. And I may be too lazy to pull it out one day.

Good point. How about a personnel door opening inwards on the murphy porch. That way, when the porch is swung down, the door becomes part of the floor, but not a lethal trapdoor part of the floor.

For "pull-out porch" one of those liftgate things or something like that. Stores under the tail, is made of metal, and lets you use the rear door, too. Maybe shallow enough that you can still sit on the porch with the fire in front of you.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Rytheric posted:

Or did yall take for faith that your parents and teachers were telling you the truth that you had bones before seeing them yourself? I know I was in aw when I first saw my bones sticking out

This was kind of a contrivance. But there was a point in time when I was a kid where I was so skeptical that I wasn't sure I believed that I had bones. Then in like the 8th grade I got stabbed on the school bus and saw my bones moving around my knock and I was like whelp they exist and omg this is so cool. Its not often one gets to be that intimate with themselves.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

My understanding is that most of geothermal heat is the result of radioactive decay. Why would the ground that has never been heated up by the sun be warmer than the surface above if there isnt a heat input.

The heat in the core of the earth is supposedly about 50/50 left over from when the earth was formed, and from radioactive decay, in fact we can measure the amount of radioactivity in the core, and what kind of reactions are producing it, using antineutrino detectors, it's pretty neat.

But the concentrations of radioisotopes in the core are way, way, way higher than up here, because the center of the earth is mostly metal, and that's where the ultra dense radioactive metal ended up, it's even theorized that there's a decent amount of fission happening down there, but that's beyond the reach of ultra-deep boreholes, much less geothermal wells that are just tapping into a little bit of that radiated heat.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So an idea just occurred to me, hopefully I didn't miss anyone else putting this out:
You install a Murphy porch, solid wood throughout, on the back of the Grovertruk so that when it swings up, it acts as a door. You make it large enough that you can put just a thin (1/2" or so) piece of compliant foam around the interior of the truk and the foam will assure a weathertight seal against cold, elements, insects, etc. You start out with a long metal arm (also called a fireplace crane, the kind of thing that people would use to hang kettles in a fireplace in long ago times) kinda like like this () whose length is the same as the complete width of the truk, attach it with heavy hinges to one side of the door opening. The hinges should be designed such that they have holes that pins can go through to hold the arm at a particular angle, maybe 90 degrees (parallel to the length of the truk), 45 degrees, 30 degrees, and 0 degrees (parallel to the width of the truk). The other end (the tip) of the crane arm can be bent and drilled into a hasp so it could mate up to a staple installed on the truk; when not in use holding a firepit, the crane arm can act as a locking mechanism in the 0 degree position (with a padlock) to keep the murphy porch securely closed, giving you some amount of safety and protection. On the crane arm, you suspend a metal firepit with a metal handle or chain (), locking the crane arm at one of the intermediate positions. You can slide the hanging firepit along the length of the crane arm to position it correctly. At night, you lock the crane arm out at the 90 degree position and hang the hot firepit at the very end with a perforated metal screen over it, that way it can burn itself out safely.
Stay safe

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So an idea just occurred to me, hopefully I didn't miss anyone else putting this out:
You install a Murphy porch, solid wood throughout, on the back of the Grovertruk so that when it swings up, it acts as a door. You make it large enough that you can put just a thin (1/2" or so) piece of compliant foam around the interior of the truk and the foam will assure a weathertight seal against cold, elements, insects, etc. You start out with a long metal arm (also called a fireplace crane, the kind of thing that people would use to hang kettles in a fireplace in long ago times) kinda like like this () whose length is the same as the complete width of the truk, attach it with heavy hinges to one side of the door opening. The hinges should be designed such that they have holes that pins can go through to hold the arm at a particular angle, maybe 90 degrees (parallel to the length of the truk), 45 degrees, 30 degrees, and 0 degrees (parallel to the width of the truk). The other end (the tip) of the crane arm can be bent and drilled into a hasp so it could mate up to a staple installed on the truk; when not in use holding a firepit, the crane arm can act as a locking mechanism in the 0 degree position (with a padlock) to keep the murphy porch securely closed, giving you some amount of safety and protection. On the crane arm, you suspend a metal firepit with a metal handle or chain (), locking the crane arm at one of the intermediate positions. You can slide the hanging firepit along the length of the crane arm to position it correctly. At night, you lock the crane arm out at the 90 degree position and hang the hot firepit at the very end with a perforated metal screen over it, that way it can burn itself out safely.
Stay safe

So I get the crane idea. But the swinging open murphy porch door I do not unless I'm able to swing it open from side to side like a door then rotated it and level it with the ground. This sounds a bit more than I'm willing to do. I'm thinking I could just put a small square of plywood on hinges on the floor and flip it over and brace it against the metal bumper step to have the fire stick out alittle from under the cieling if it's a problem. That way I can still use my steps while the fire is deployed and the fire be outside and the whole flippy thing doesn't take up room.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 6, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rytheric posted:

So I get the crane idea. But the swinging open murphy door I do not unless I'm able to swing it open from side to side like you're suggesting like a door then rotated it and level it with the ground. This sounds a bit more than I'm willing to do. I'm thinking I could just put a small square of plywood on hinges on the floor and flip it over and brace it against the metal bumper step to have the fire stick out alittle from under the cieling if it's a problem. That way I can still use my steps while the fire is deployed and the fire be outside and the whole flippy thing doesn't take up room.

Could be that I misinterpreted the whole murphy porch thing. A murphy bed, as you may know, is hinged at the bottom so it flips down from vertical (storage) to horizontal (usage) thus:

I had thought that, flipped into the vertical position, it would act as a door; flipped into a horizontal position, it would act as an extended floor / porch. You could have some hinged or detachable steps to mount on the side of the murphy porch to allow you to step up or down to the ground.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Could be that I misinterpreted the whole murphy porch thing. A murphy bed, as you may know, is hinged at the bottom so it flips down from vertical (storage) to horizontal (usage) thus:

I had thought that, flipped into the vertical position, it would act as a door; flipped into a horizontal position, it would act as an extended floor / porch. You could have some hinged or detachable steps to mount on the side of the murphy porch to allow you to step up or down to the ground.

No you're right. I misread what you were saying as if it was different. So the problem I stated prior to that is that if I use it to flip up into a vertical position and use it as a door or ramp then that means I can't open the back unless there is adequate clearance.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I think with the help of the SA forum members we have solved the GroverTruk firepit problem. I can simply attach a small piece of plywood to the porch floor with hinges, and when I want to deploy the fire, I flip the plywood over and brace it, and then set the fire pit out on it as if I was making the poor fire walk the plank. That way it clears the cieling.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

maybe just the whole back of the grovertruck opening up into a mobile command and repair station like optimus prime's trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I still think it's worth trying before I waste energy on hinges and such.