Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Croccers posted:

Played this on Ubi's game pass thing when it came out but never picked up it properly until now. I enjoyed mindlessly roaming about shooting things and looking at pretty stuff. Is getting the Year One pass worth getting?

hahahaha

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eMLGWaAAcE

seems bodark is back and such.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Thought I'd jump back on this and see what's new and I've got 17gb of patches to download lol. Did they ever fix the bugs this had with amd cards? I could run the game fine on my lovely gtx960 while literally everyone else in my squad crashed constantly on their fancy high-end amd rigs, which was doubly comical considering the amd splash screen at the start :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Pilchenstein posted:

Thought I'd jump back on this and see what's new and I've got 17gb of patches to download lol. Did they ever fix the bugs this had with amd cards? I could run the game fine on my lovely gtx960 while literally everyone else in my squad crashed constantly on their fancy high-end amd rigs, which was doubly comical considering the amd splash screen at the start :v:

A new episode and Title Update 3.0.0 (along with new class, Pathfinder), apparently on September 15th

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Did they change the way the controls work? Prone camo, vault, skydive jump (does that actually work now?) and climb ladder are all bound to space and showing up in red. Prone camo still works but I'm not near a ladder or vaultable wall to check the others. Breath control is also space and that isn't red in the menu but doesn't actually work when I'm using a scope now.

Edit: clearing and rebinding breath control has made it work again, guess I'll find out in due course if ladders/vaulting work or not :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 14, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hope you didn't mind patch sizes. Tomorrow's will be 7.19gb

:siren: Patch Notes!

edit: aaaand their two hour maintenance to get this thing done, by 5 AM EST, has now been delayed to 11 AM EST.

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 15, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I picked this up in the PSN sale for a whole £8 and it seems OK. Quite why you'd be insane enough to play it with all the annoying 'real life' bullshit that just hinders you getting on and cracking skulls with sniper rounds I have no idea. I turned off all the micromanagement nonsense and am playing without the loot poo poo too and I'm finding it quite fun a couple of hours in. One thing I noticed is there's a bunch of bases or what have you on the coast but a lot of them you can't approach via the sea without a boat and those don't seem to be around too much in a lot of those areas. So while you can swim out to take a base from the sea and there's often ladders on platforms, they're annoyingly just out of reach for whatever form of special forces you are. You can reach stuff on foot far higher. The lack of jump button is weird too, I circled a base and climbed some rocks but couldn't jump to a building roof that was on the same level and a mere 2ft away.

I'd be interested to see what this was like before stuff was 'fixed' for real so I'm going to go watch some videos.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I picked this up in the PSN sale for a whole £8 and it seems OK. Quite why you'd be insane enough to play it with all the annoying 'real life' bullshit that just hinders you getting on and cracking skulls with sniper rounds I have no idea. I turned off all the micromanagement nonsense and am playing without the loot poo poo too and I'm finding it quite fun a couple of hours in. One thing I noticed is there's a bunch of bases or what have you on the coast but a lot of them you can't approach via the sea without a boat and those don't seem to be around too much in a lot of those areas. So while you can swim out to take a base from the sea and there's often ladders on platforms, they're annoyingly just out of reach for whatever form of special forces you are. You can reach stuff on foot far higher. The lack of jump button is weird too, I circled a base and climbed some rocks but couldn't jump to a building roof that was on the same level and a mere 2ft away.

I'd be interested to see what this was like before stuff was 'fixed' for real so I'm going to go watch some videos.

Get a helicopter asap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Get a helicopter asap.

I think there's been some fuckery with the various updates over time because that's what they give you right out the gate when you exit Erewhon for the first time. It takes ages to get to places for the first time with even the chopper, are you saying that you had to buy one when this game was new? gently caress that.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
I think there is always one spawning there but possibly not part of your "garage" when you are at the bivouac/campsites that you can spawn.
At any rate take some time to fly around and discover where the campsites are by looking for the smoke on the horizon and hills. There are a lot of missions where you go from one side of an island and back again and you'll be using that fast travel mechanic. Get low and you don't even have to get out of the chopper.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Slavik posted:

I think there is always one spawning there but possibly not part of your "garage" when you are at the bivouac/campsites that you can spawn.

They've definitely added this now as standard. It autospawns a chopper unless you choose something else. At first I was confused as to why there'd always be a helicopter nearby whenever I left a campfire.

Slavik posted:

At any rate take some time to fly around and discover where the campsites are by looking for the smoke on the horizon and hills. Get low and you don't even have to get out of the chopper.

I was wondering quite how to find these, thanks. I discovered the locations for a couple in those bonus boxes in certain spots.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 4, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I think at launch, you had to save up to buy a chopper for your garage. It's nice they give you one out of the gate. I would still save up for a chopper with guns or missiles.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
You could also use your drone or binoculars to look at the smoke and then fast travel there.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
hows the actual game world in this? I really loved Wildlands for some reason despite all the criticism, but going around fake Bolivia was really nice instead of the usual North American cities in open world games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

screaden posted:

hows the actual game world in this? I really loved Wildlands for some reason despite all the criticism, but going around fake Bolivia was really nice instead of the usual North American cities in open world games.

It’s cool, a weird little tech libertarian island with some cool factories and little towns with a lot of really pretty wide open space.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s cool, a weird little tech libertarian island with some cool factories and little towns with a lot of really pretty wide open space.

Is it supposed to be a representation of a known Country/Area?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

screaden posted:

Nope! Just a weird little fictional techbro libertarian corpratocracy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I think after the backlash for their depiction of Bolivia they intentionally invented an island. Still, nice mix of ultra modern silicon valley, cold war installations, and 19th and 20th century frontier ruins. Also lots of little wilderness cottages that seem super cosy, like a log cabin on a hill overlooking a pine forest.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I think after the backlash for their depiction of Bolivia they intentionally invented an island. Still, nice mix of ultra modern silicon valley, cold war installations, and 19th and 20th century frontier ruins. Also lots of little wilderness cottages that seem super cosy, like a log cabin on a hill overlooking a pine forest.

I would totally live there. The whole militia takeover and suppressing the population thing probably tanked property values, too.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The one thing I've found weird is the lack of Australian / New Zealander accents, given that it's supposedly part of New Zealand's territory formerly leased to the US Navy. Even the one guy who's introduced as a Kiwi isn't.

That said I picked it up after the free weekend and I've managed to get more mileage out of it than I did Wildlands ( so it's got that going for it ), I've completed the first two Episodes and the Amber Ruin & Terminator events and am taking a little time off to hit up Camp Kodiak and Red Shark Outpost to slowly raise my gearscore from 235 to the 250/252 hard cap. I did initially start off with the Ghost Mode Experience right away but after switching to Classic mode I've stuck with it. I was a little thrown by how the main story is presented, especially when you get to Erehwon and folks are talking about things & people you haven't met yet, but it's another open World game and you get that with the big jobs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MikusR posted:

You could also use your drone or binoculars to look at the smoke and then fast travel there.

I figured out that the drone can decipher where certain places of interest are earlier. I wasn't sure whether just finding it with the drone actually opened up the use of the bivouacs. That's a yes.

Also figured out how to turn AI teammates on as my friends weren't interested in playing this evening. I dressed them all up In the same red tartan I'm wearing and we flew round some of the map and wiped a few bases, knocked out a couple of big tank drones.

screaden posted:

Initially I thought an alternate universe New Zealand and the map saying Pacific ocean and Austral ocean either side is a little bit of a nod to that idea.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Honestly all this talk about it being NZ/Aus is exciting.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

screaden posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nope! Just a weird little fictional techbro libertarian corpratocracy.

It's totally New Zealand after getting bought by Peter Thiel, don't lie

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
It's not New Zealand proper, but it's a New Zealand owned territory that was originally leased to the US Navy to host a naval base, and Skell Tech came along and bought the lease from the Navy so they could have their Libertopia without any government oversight. Somewhere like Campbell Island or the Aukland Islands

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 5, 2021

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I saw this was on sale on UPlay. How important are the DLC/passes?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If anyone is still playing this on Playstation, hit me up: joedbaker

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know poo poo about poo poo regarding the geography over there but there's an early game plot point about getting a ship to the nearest major port, Auckland.

Edit; do I guess you're somewhere in the Pacific north east of New Zealand.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Geburan posted:

I saw this was on sale on UPlay. How important are the DLC/passes?
With the base game I think you only get access to the introductory missions of Episodes 2 & 3, and the Echelon, Engineer and Pathfinder tactics cost 4 skill points to acquire, and maybe you still got access to the live events? Episode 2 is a series of missions where you work with Sam Fisher and you get his outfit and pistol as a legendary reward, and Episode 3 has Trey Stone working with Russian Ultra Nationalists but I haven't played through it yet. The Echelon, Engineer and Pathfinder tactics are given freely with the season pass but you'll have so many skill points that you can't use by the end of the game it doesn't matter. So it's mostly just some more story content with a few weapons and cosmetics as reward. During the sale the Gold Edition wasn't that much more expensive than the base game and you could also use the 100 ubi coin discount as well, it seemed an easy "sure, why not" decision, but with the sale over it's going to depend on how much you like the base game and if you want more mission content. Narrative wise the 2nd Episode doesn't really fit given that you're still stuck on the island with no way on or off and no way to reach the outside world, but hey now the CIA knows what's up and can get a plane in and out and I'm sure Episode 3 is just as absurd. Given that the base story is also absurd does it really matter?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Had some more time with it over the weekend. The loot tier thing is really weird because it doesn't do anything other than stop you playing raids. I was playing immersive, tier off and just exploring the map and getting into trouble, picking off bases and collecting stuff. I try tiers on to see what the difference is and all it is is just a warning that you're going into a high level area. The enemies in it at WARNING! LEVEL 250! aren't actually any harder with tiers on, they still drop in the same amount of shots. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE POINT OF THE TIER SYSTEM. It seems to only exist to stop you playing raids.

I hit a Wolf base up on Friday evening non-tiered and died once. The second time was a struggle but I made it through fine, picking them off one by one and being as stealthy as I've ever been in a game (I'm BAD at stealth). I join my friends online on Saturday and one of them has the mission to do in this exact spot and it's a complete clusterfuck because someone (I'm looking at you, Tom) doesn't seem to understand that running around with a massive LMG is just asking to get swarmed. Prick.

The game world is fantastic, a whole lot of effort went into putting such an expansive space together and populate it with spots to go and gently caress up. It's just a pity there's only a handful of different enemies to fight and the majority of those just have assault rifles of varying flavours. Also flying drones (like flying enemies in virtually any game ever) suck poo poo. They're just annoying. The game is still really janky in spots and has killed me in the dumbest ways possible but for something to fire up and burn through a few bases it's good fun still.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 8, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just thinking about trying to snipe an aggrod, juking drone is raising my blood pressure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZombyDog posted:

With the base game I think you only get access to the introductory missions of Episodes 2 & 3, and the Echelon, Engineer and Pathfinder tactics cost 4 skill points to acquire, and maybe you still got access to the live events? Episode 2 is a series of missions where you work with Sam Fisher and you get his outfit and pistol as a legendary reward, and Episode 3 has Trey Stone working with Russian Ultra Nationalists but I haven't played through it yet. The Echelon, Engineer and Pathfinder tactics are given freely with the season pass but you'll have so many skill points that you can't use by the end of the game it doesn't matter. So it's mostly just some more story content with a few weapons and cosmetics as reward. During the sale the Gold Edition wasn't that much more expensive than the base game and you could also use the 100 ubi coin discount as well, it seemed an easy "sure, why not" decision, but with the sale over it's going to depend on how much you like the base game and if you want more mission content. Narrative wise the 2nd Episode doesn't really fit given that you're still stuck on the island with no way on or off and no way to reach the outside world, but hey now the CIA knows what's up and can get a plane in and out and I'm sure Episode 3 is just as absurd. Given that the base story is also absurd does it really matter?

i believe the episodes are supposed to be direct sequels to the main story and probably setting up whatever is gonna happen in the next ghost recon. i think my issue with the game is its too MMO ish, too much like division 1 and not enough like 2. i am hoping they go back to wildlands type structure or even something more open but linear for the next game.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Whatever they do for the next game, I hope they get the stupidly large update and patch files under control. I think almost 80 gigs of my PS4's 500Gb drive is taken up by Breakpoint. I've enjoyed the hell out of it, but holy poo poo, it would be nice not to have to delete other games' installs just to have enough room to unpack the latest mandatory patch.

(And also allow offline play without having to be connected to Ubi's servers, FFS.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just thinking about trying to snipe an aggrod, juking drone is raising my blood pressure.

I loving hate the drones so much. The games play style is not designed for poo poo like that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I really wish their big patch to let you customise the game experience had included a "no drones" option.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, I really wish their big patch to let you customise the game experience had included a "no drones" option.

I think there is. I'll have to load up the game and check that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think there is. I'll have to load up the game and check that.

There is a no wandering drones option. You can turn off the surveillance drones, planes, and helicopters individually. The base drones can't be turned off unless I missed an option when looking through them last night.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I don't mind the occasional predator drone flying over, it's more my game of Stealth Soldier Simulator 2020 being brought to a crashing halt by every other base having a dalek with twin miniguns and two million hit points in it that bothers me :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pilchenstein posted:

I don't mind the occasional predator drone flying over, it's more my game of Stealth Soldier Simulator 2020 being brought to a crashing halt by every other base having a dalek with twin miniguns and two million hit points in it that bothers me :v:

shoot the glowy red eye thing with something like a DMR or sniper rifle

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

reinstalled this yesterday and put in some hours, haven’t played since the initial realism patch. feels like it runs a lot smoother and I love all the QOL customization and gameplay options, also that true night thing is cool.

but why can they not make a pause menu that doesn’t lag 5 seconds behind inputs? what the gently caress? it’s been a problem since launch, how hard is it

also I was super psyched to find they finally added the bandana to the store then immediately crushed when I realized it would mean choosing between my Solid Snake bandana and my Sam Fisher goggles as headgear. why god, just let me wear both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Holy poo poo are ya'll saying they actualy wrestled this turdpile into a decent game finally?!