Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Anyway, it looks like the Government is floating the idea of making Andrew Lansley an even bigger gently caress-up than he already was by, uh, reversing a whole raft of decisions he made as Health Secretary.
Meaning that he - and Pigfucker - will have spent billions on reforms only to see them undone by their own party a decade later.

And, alarmingly, I'm at risk of praising something this government is doing. Although, it'll have to survive being watered down by the servants of the blood god currently sitting on the Tory backbenches.

[edit]
32 Tory MPs have sacrificed a poor person, exsanguinating them into a bath in which they lie - naked except for a loin cloth made out of copies of Atlas Shrugged - for several hours. This week. I heard it was 29 last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

quote:

Another senior MP said Starmer was too afraid to stray into less familiar territory and lay out a vision that sets him apart from his predecessors, especially on the economy. “Investing in public services, supporting the NHS and attacking the Tories on universal credit — these are all important, but they are also our comfort zone,” the MP said. “In their heart many people still think we are an anti-business party. Keir and Anneliese [Dodds, the shadow chancellor] need to be saying that we will strain every fibre to support enterprise.”
Ensuring the existence of a customer base that can afford to buy things is supporting enterprise, you fucks, you tools.

Pistol_Pete posted:

quote:

What about patriotism? Advisers suggest he embrace the flag to impress lost working-class voters. It will only work if it is authentic. Up popped a clip of a younger Starmer talking of scrapping the monarchy. Time to rip off that mask, smile and sing Things Can Only Get Better.
In the same way, opposing the hereditary landlords of our country can be done patriotically, you pricks, Kier just lacks the backbone and moral authority to do so. Or are you calling Washington, Lenin, Robespierre, Louverture, Bolívar, Ber Borochov, and Cromwell unpatriotic? (they were all various other things, many of them bad, but I could not in good faith level that charge). You crab lice. You diseased eggs. A better leader could wrap themselves in both the flag and the republic.

knox_harrington posted:

Aaah... What language do people in the American South speak at home? I don't think this is going to be any better.
AAVE?

That's the point though. If >95% of your African descended population descends from the Congo or Niger delta region, for whatever reason, then "are they of African descent?" becomes a useful metric. If you're in Durban, where the vast majority of your population are at zero risk of sickle cell, but it is starting to become an issue with West African migrants, "are they black?" is not a useful metric at all, and may become a waste of scarce testing resources, so "what language do you speak at home?" becomes useful.

It's not always wrong to make assumptions, but you should also know where they fall apart, and a lot of assumptions get imported from America wholesale just by cultural influence rather than accuracy. I guess they originally had to figure out that sickle cell is basically nonexistent south of the Zambezi somehow, but it's illustrative that skin melanation isn't always indicative of anything other than how much melanin you have in your skin (and for treatments where that matters like PUVA, but that's an entirely different story of historical racial assumptions creeping in). And, of course, asking the question "why does the African diaspora in the American South mostly come from the Congo and Niger Delta area and yet speak English at home?" is not a question you can answer without colonialism.

This also reminded me of something from the maps thread, where the complete opposite of "everywhere is America" came up (and it's just as bad):

Grand Fromage posted:

Believing Koreans are a separate species isn't that uncommon in my experience living there. I had to go to a different doctor once when I was told he'd only studied Korean biology so couldn't help me.

Like I don't think it's a majority opinion but I wouldn't find it weird to hear it.

Japan also has their weird nihonjinron poo poo which ranges from full insanity hardly anyone buys to stuff that's repeated fairly often, like Japanese people eat different food because their digestive organs are different than foreigners.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

quote:

In Ainsley's book she sets out what she sees as the key values which would chime with not just an increasingly diverse working-class but voters more generally: "family"; "fairness"; "hard work"; "decency".

You mean voters don't prefer broken homes, unfairness, skiving and indecency?!? gently caress me, give these consultants medals for these staggering insights!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Our panel, all of which have giant brains suspended above their corporeal heads, as like a zeppelin, have all declared that voters like having the bins collected over having the bins strewn across the street and shat in. Therefore we will be targeting only voters that already have their bins collected.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

kingturnip posted:

And, alarmingly, I'm at risk of praising something this government is doing. Although, it'll have to survive being watered down by the servants of the blood god currently sitting on the Tory backbenches.

I was just saying to my other half how I was getting a bit freaked out with how competently they’d handled the pandemic so far thus year, at least since cancelling Christmas. I don’t want to pin everything on person but I feel we did see a big change when Cummings got hosed off in that Johnson is no longer chasing temporary populist boosts in favour of taking a longer view.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Missed out on the fun fudge flavours at christmas so I'm feeling a bit smug about getting my toblerone order in yesterday

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Noxville posted:

I was just saying to my other half how I was getting a bit freaked out with how competently they’d handled the pandemic so far thus year, at least since cancelling Christmas. I don’t want to pin everything on person but I feel we did see a big change when Cummings got hosed off in that Johnson is no longer chasing temporary populist boosts in favour of taking a longer view.

The government created a situation so bad they had to try an untested vaccination schedule on the entire population because everything else is melting down. The fact that the NHS and GPs are good at putting needles into peoples arms isn't a credit to the government.

Also I wonder if now that pandemic news is stale or the media can't report the governments failings over it then without Corbyn they're having a similar drought of news that USA media is having without Trump being president any more. Previously you could ring up a Labour MP, a Tory MP or a media personality of some sort and get an front page about how Corbyn anti-semitically put out the bins or something and now that's gone and Starmer is so boring and complicit with government policy that there's nothing to comment on so the press want him replaced with someone they can really villianise again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

This also reminded me of something from the maps thread, where the complete opposite of "everywhere is America" came up (and it's just as bad):

quote:

Japanese people eat different food because their digestive organs are different than foreigners.

Interesting philosophical question - is gut flora an organ in its own right?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes it is.

(that was easy)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1357826641758744576?s=20

Boris has finally saved the union, by sending the Queen's totally forgotten 3rd son to live in Scotland.

This is just perfect.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yep. I mean not everyone would agree, but it's more important to your continued well-being than your gallbladder or appendix. I've heard "virtual organ" used

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 6, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/telebusiness/status/1357639718620581888?s=09

Rents going down while house prices are going up? I can't see that lasting.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pistol_Pete posted:

You mean voters don't prefer broken homes, unfairness, skiving and indecency?!? gently caress me, give these consultants medals for these staggering insights!
these have to be interpreted in a certain way given the voters Labour are now trying to reach. families: the "traditional" nuclear family - mother and father married with children (no cohabitation, no [andy burnham voice] multigeneration households, can't have a family without children, also singles aren't worth anything). fairness, hard work: no giving things to the undeserving and lazy (namely immigrants, the unemployed, the poor), all things must be worked for even when that's impossible. decency: last night of the proms, clap for the NHS, giving the flag a jolly rogering

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
In further government being weirdly competent news apparently they are going to roll back on the privatisation of the NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/06/boris-johnson-planning-nhs-england-overhaul-leaked-paper-shows?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I literally couldn't imagine Kieth proposing this

E: missed that this was already posted because I was on the wrong page.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 6, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's the issue with

CGI Stardust posted:

[andy burnham voice] multigeneration households
anyway?

Not the on-paper issue, the actual one? Is it that the extended family has always been at odds with the state to some degree, and the nuclear family, being unstable without state support, works better for a managerial society?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

What's the issue with

anyway?

Not the on-paper issue, the actual one? Is it that the extended family has always been at odds with the state to some degree, and the nuclear family, being unstable without state support, works better for a managerial society?

Presumably gammons don't have an issue with multigenerational families like the Windsors, it's just another way of saying immigrant

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My issue with multigeneration households is that living with my parents hosed me right off and i was glad to be out of there

minema
May 31, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

In further government being weirdly competent news apparently they are going to roll back on the privatisation of the NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/06/boris-johnson-planning-nhs-england-overhaul-leaked-paper-shows?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I literally couldn't imagine Kieth proposing this

Are they rolling back privatisation or just giving more control over which companies get NHS contracts to the Health Secretary? I'm suspicious it'll just be used to give contracts to their mates. Getting rid of CCGs already is p funny though

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

What's the issue with

anyway?

It’s racism. White Anglo culture is to flee your home the moment you are an adult and sink or swim.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Presumably gammons don't have an issue with multigenerational families like the Windsors, it's just another way of saying immigrant
I think you're right.

There was the whole issue with alliances of multigenerational families being able to build power structures that could rival the state in certain areas that you could sum up as 'mafias vs. managerialism' as a theme in the modern era (or 'why Parliament hosed over the Highlands and Ulster so badly'), but in this case it's probably more of a very loud dogwhistle than anything else.
Bloody immigrants simultaneously living off the state, destroying the family, and living in large families that can prosper without the state. :bahgawd:

Regarde Aduck posted:

White Anglo culture is to flee your home the moment you are an adult and sink or swim.
And yet white Anglo culture also privatizes all of the state functions that made this possible during the halcyon era of the 50s, so I'm not sure what they actually want other than corporate servitude forever :thunk:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

so I'm not sure what they actually want other than corporate servitude forever :thunk:

Just that yeah

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

It’s racism. White Anglo culture is to flee your home the moment you are an adult and sink or swim.

Not so much now with the amount of people complaining about an injustice, or loving something up, that use the phrase "I'm only 2x". I've literally seen "He's only 24, he's a child" before.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Nutapii posted:

Not so much now with the amount of people complaining about an injustice, or loving something up, that use the phrase "I'm only 2x". I've literally seen "He's only 24, he's a child" before.

That's rhetoric used to ignore their opinion, or potentially excuse a transgression, not saying they should still be living at home.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nutapii posted:

I'm only 2XL :smith:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Boris has finally saved the union, by sending the Queen's totally forgotten 3rd son to live in Scotland.

They really do think that if you spot a Royal you will instantly know your class and start doffing caps at them.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly didn't know there was a prince Edward

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My issue with multigeneration households is that living with my parents hosed me right off and i was glad to be out of there

Yeah it was only after being out of my parents house for a few years that I was able to actually be me for the first time

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

There's an extended royal family but since they're all off noncing or breaking international laws around arms dealing or slavery and things they're kept well out of the limelight.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

It could be worse, you could be 4X. Can't move into a new house until the guy next door decides if his conservatory will annexe it. :rolldice:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
mystic crispix predicts he's going to wear a kilt to PMQs next

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bitterandtwisted posted:

He's got an island in Canada.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

He's got an island in Canada.

TBF, Canada has an absolute shitload of islands. I reckon a good number of them cost significantly less than the average London apartment.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I reckon if you have a geographical area named after you you have to live there. Prince Edward on Prince Edward Island, the Queen in Queen Elizabeth Land, and Prince Charles to be cut in three and sent to Wales, Cornwall and Rothesay respectively.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Lungboy posted:

Rents may be going down on London, but they are going up everywhere else as people and businesses realise you don't actually need to sit in an office to do most jobs.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Donut cities but with no public transport are effectively a death sentence for inner city kids

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I reckon if you have a geographical area named after you you have to live there. Prince Edward on Prince Edward Island, the Queen in Queen Elizabeth Land, and Prince Charles to be cut in three and sent to Wales, Cornwall and Rothesay respectively.
Rename Prince Charles to Halemaʻumaʻu lava lake.

Total Meatlove posted:

Donut cities but with no public transport are effectively a death sentence for inner city kids
They should eat fresh market salad on wholemeal bagels instead :wankah:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Tsietisin posted:

Rents may be going down on London, but they are going up everywhere else as people and businesses realise you don't actually need to sit in an office to do most jobs.

Shouldn't that make rents go down? Less demand meaning lower cost in theory

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paperhouse posted:

Shouldn't that make rents go down? Less demand meaning lower cost in theory

I think OP meant residential rents due to decentralisation

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

There's a lag, for reasons nobody's really sure about, but rent price changes lag 12-18 months behind house price changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Total Meatlove posted:

Homer Simpson voice: "Mmm, donut cities..."