Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I wanna say the folxs at id who made Doom 1 Episode 4 can suck my dick from the back. I been playing it on UV and its a motherfucker, my plan is to play all comercial DOOM 1/2 WADs on UV. And yes i know i will get hosed in plutonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ElMaligno posted:

I wanna say the folxs at id who made Doom 1 Episode 4 can suck my dick from the back. I been playing it on UV and its a motherfucker, my plan is to play all comercial DOOM 1/2 WADs on UV. And yes i know i will get hosed in plutonia.

uv doom 1/2 is the real poo poo

keep going, thy flesh consumed is a struggle but its a good wad pack for reals

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Thy flesh consumed was the new game++ ultra difficulty expansion for those players who thought the game was “too easy” after sinking 120 hours into it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea that one is a kick in the pants. Baron in level 1, and no super shotty? Level 2 has a cyberdemon? Have fun! :)

there’s a way to telefrag the cyberdemon, but damned if I can remember it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Thy flesh consumed was the new game++ ultra difficulty expansion for those players who thought the game was “too easy” after sinking 120 hours into it

120 hours? thats it?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm playing thy flesh consumed after finishing the first 3 episodes.

If you are a 120 hours gamer, you probably play poo poo like plutonia II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS2iXvmM-ig

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

120 hours? thats it?

Not even enough to lose a limb over.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea that one is a kick in the pants. Baron in level 1, and no super shotty? Level 2 has a cyberdemon? Have fun! :)

there’s a way to telefrag the cyberdemon, but damned if I can remember it.

You’re not supposed to kill the cyber demon in open combat since that opens the door to the exit room

Yes I remember far too much about doom and half-life as well as their mods and I regret nothing

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

You’re not supposed to kill the cyber demon in open combat since that opens the door to the exit room

Yes I remember far too much about doom and half-life as well as their mods and I regret nothing

I tried to dance around up there and create a crossfire with the big guy where he’d piss off the cacodemons, and let them do my dirty work for me :)

i don’t remember if this worked or not

The real winning move was not to play take the exit to the secret level instead, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAr7yUlM0Po

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Finally gave Frostpunk a try. Haven't beaten the our new home mission, but I did finish the ark one.

It's different, that's for drat sure.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's loving brutal is what it is

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I've restarted A New Home probably close to a dozen times now. My current run is kicking my rear end somewhere around the Londoner poo poo. Thinking I'll leave Winterhome alone a little longer next time, always fucks stuff up when everyone gets pissy about being alone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You'll probably need to restart a dozen more

For added challenge do it without using child labour

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't used child labor once yet. I don't usually build the shelter though.

I think it took 3 tries to get through the Ark mission, but that was after a half dozen stabs at A New Home first.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thats honestly pretty good. The game has an absolutely sadistic learning curve.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, getting destroyed a few times learning the ropes actually helped though. The new manchester thing threw me off so badly on my second run on the Ark one that it's pretty much why I had to do it a third time, couldn't squirrel together enough poo poo in time. And the automaton didn't make it before the storm hit the third time, but I had all my resources ready that time.

I keep getting hung up on the Londoners in a new home, so if I ignore winterhome a little longer than usual, I might get ahead of it next time, at least for a few more days.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lean heavily on faith.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAr7yUlM0Po

Is that character reveal in the end there about a celebrity actor or some easter egg I'm supposed to know about? Really seemed like it was supposed to wow an audience at a con or something.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The map reveal is of Cathay, which is Warhammer China, which got established as existing and then basically never touched by Games Workshop again. I don't think the dude matters as much.

Basically they want to sell more copies in China.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

More things to smash and smash with

I'm really not seeing a problem

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Didn't say there was one

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Got my system on Monday, didn't set it up until yesterday, and on the one hand, I'm impressed by the case because the installation and cable management is super loving convenient.
On the other hand, the LEDs are kinda dumb, but I read through a bunch of reviews for the "base" Base 500 case, and it had some serious airflow issues (like the front fans completely being suffocated by too small air inlet) and no USB-C on the front panel, so I stepped up 15 bucks and got the Base 500DX which doesn't come without FULL ARGB J-RAINBOW (?) whatever the gently caress.

Also chuckling at the stupidity of the naming on some of these brands and model names PURE BASE 500 DEE EXX, GEE-SKILL RIPJAWS, BE QUIET DARK ROCK, yeesh.

Build was super quick, cabling as well, stuck my old 1060 in it to install the OS first before migrating my SSDs and HDDs to the new case, the nvme installation is actually pretty nifty, you get these nvme-heat-sinks with semi-adhesive conductor padding along with the mainboard, so you can just slap them on the chip and it fits snugly underneath the graphics card. It's almost like someone put some thought into this.

Debug light went straight to "Boot" on the first try, and I'm glad I can add another build that immediately posted instead of breaking my brain because I forgot a connector or cable somewhere.

poo poo is all boxy and black all around. Also, mainboards look like spaceships now, what with all the heatsinks on components that are now apparently so beefy they would melt without extra help.

Really excited to see how fast this nvme is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“Dark rock” is simultaneously a fairly descriptive yet kind of bewildering name for a CPU cooler

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lean heavily on faith.

I was really trying to avoid going that route, but it got me farther than taking the fascism path. I saved around day 43 or so. Going the "save everyone" way was also hindering. And I hosed up the Tesla City thing, not making it an outpost. Haven't set up an outpost at all yet, just send my bored extra people out into the snow to die on expeditions. I think I peaked around 600 people with housing for half and food for a fifth of them.

I'll start again fresh later today, after my current city dies. Shouldn't be much longer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Houses of Healing are great because they don't need engineers, and you can pretend it's the Cult of Sasquatch if that helps

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Got creamed on my 40~ day right before the sun was to come out.

I'm going to build two workshops or whatever this time and crank out research, throw a little benevolent bigfoot worshipping at the people and see if I can make it through the deep freeze this time. Also not taking in every group of idiots I find will probably help.

Oh and gently caress where they hid the beacon stereoscopic lens research. Didn't find the drat thing until I was a day from everyone freezing to death.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 5, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You want 4 workshops as soon as you can handle them so you can start getting your high level techs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Got through a new home last night. I'd been skipping a lot of lower tech in previous stabs before finally using poo poo like the sawmill and coal thumpers this last time around.

Felt really good beating that scenario even though it's like punching myself in the balls. Gonna take the day off it before I burn out like I did with Gears Tactics. Seriously surprised I like it though.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I still can’t get an RTX 3080 :sigh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Time Crisis Actor posted:

At this point, I have accepted that I don't even need to order an RTX 30x before april. There is not a single reputable PC parts online store in Germany that currently has those models on hand, and the only model of the series I found deliverable within 3 days was some comically-beefy 3090 variant for 1900 Euros (:lol:)
I know the Covid semiconductor-shortage is exasperating supply this year, but I'd like to go ahead and tell Bitcoin and scalpers to gently caress off once more.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But also the only game out that would really flex your 3000 series card is I think Cyberpunk so you can probably wait easy

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I got an RTX 3080 by buying a 2100 dollar “prebuilt” pc on Newegg. It’s all off the shelf poo poo sold at small markup from retail. I spent 3 months scouring the internet and discord servers trying to snag an individual card and got sick of dealing with it. Twenty one hundred bucks for an I9 with 16 gigs of ddr4 ram and a 1tb ssd and a 3080 wasn’t the worst purchase I’ve ever made. I will probably upgrade to 32 gigs of ram but with video card markups the way they’ve been it was the easiest way to get 90 percent of what I want.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bitcoiners are now buying up all the 3080 laptops and junk now too

my 1080gtx is just fine for a while

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Eej posted:

But also the only game out that would really flex your 3000 series card is I think Cyberpunk so you can probably wait easy

Yup, this is pretty much why I'm chill this time around, instead of being annoyed that I can't buy a full new system at one given point like I was in the past.

I'm gonna spend the next two months plowing through Stardew Valley 1.5 anyway.

The price hike on not just new cards like the 30x series, but also literally every almost-EOP-model is pretty goddamn disgusting, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://videocardz.com/newz/chinese-gpu-miners-are-now-bulk-buying-geforce-rtx-30-laptops-to-mine-ethereum

The cards are getting bought before they even leave the manufacturers to mine Bitcoin and Ethereum.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's been like 6 years but I'm still disappointed that ASICs didn't derail this nonsense.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hekk posted:

I got an RTX 3080 by buying a 2100 dollar “prebuilt” pc on Newegg. It’s all off the shelf poo poo sold at small markup from retail. I spent 3 months scouring the internet and discord servers trying to snag an individual card and got sick of dealing with it. Twenty one hundred bucks for an I9 with 16 gigs of ddr4 ram and a 1tb ssd and a 3080 wasn’t the worst purchase I’ve ever made. I will probably upgrade to 32 gigs of ram but with video card markups the way they’ve been it was the easiest way to get 90 percent of what I want.

A coworker of mine just did something similar though he already had his own desktop he built, so we swapped his 1080Ti with the 3080 from the prebuild and is trying to resell it on ebay somewhat marked down from the original price. If it pans out he'll have picked up the 3080 for like $400, he figures.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
On a similar topic, I finally got a Series X. Thing is fast, now I just need new games. Plenty of old stuff to play, but drat they need to ship some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Got through a new home last night. I'd been skipping a lot of lower tech in previous stabs before finally using poo poo like the sawmill and coal thumpers this last time around.

Felt really good beating that scenario even though it's like punching myself in the balls. Gonna take the day off it before I burn out like I did with Gears Tactics. Seriously surprised I like it though.

Well done! Yeah coal thumper are pretty well essential