Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Eh, I dunno. You don't send your corp special forces to deal with a bunch of nobodies. I mean, the part about us being dead if that were the case is absolutely true, but making a call to the local SWAT team is a lot easier and a lot more discreet.

The beauty of kraken-like corporate structures where none of the hands know what any of the other hands are doing (or even who they are) is, it also could have been just be A Dude in his basement who called the hit by planting a few emails here and there.
The whole "immediately framed as national superterrorists & big cop PR person on the telly" thing implies there's more to it than that admittedly. *That* requires some actual boardroom muscle to swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Josef bugman posted:

So are Bee spirits bad?

Extremely.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Do not eat the honey!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

wiegieman posted:

Extremely.

But do they like jazz?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kobal2 posted:

The whole "immediately framed as national superterrorists & big cop PR person on the telly" thing implies there's more to it than that admittedly. *That* requires some actual boardroom muscle to swing.

So my guess for what's going on is this:

Megacorp is either causing something to gently caress up the magic in Kowloon, or is trying to use the hosed up state of magic in Kowloon to do something.

Raymond goes investigating in Hong Kong, either the megacorp or the hosed up state of magic.

Raymond realizes he's in way over his head and calls for the only people he can think of whom he trusts.

Megacorp realizes that Raymond knows something or is on his way to know something and moves to silence him.

PC and Duncan are loose ends that may know something of what Raymond was doing and must be silenced.

Triads and the shadowrunners are caught in the middle.

Sounds like a recipe for a good time!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Lone Badger posted:

But she ran the odds and decided a wager was in her favour.

Aside from being regionally appropriate, recent streamers have taught me that mahjong is incredibly appropriate for someone like Kindly Cheng to play, because you do NOT get good at it by making unfavorable gambles. poo poo’s like the surreal love child of chess and poker.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and its gone through many cycles of being frowned upon legally (or betting upon it being frowned upon legally) and the triads monopolizing it as with other illegal things!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cythereal posted:

So my guess for what's going on is this:

Sounds like a recipe for a good time!

I can't of course comment on the accuracy of your guesswork but I think you'll enjoy the twists and turns the plot has for us.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

KataraniSword posted:

Aside from being regionally appropriate, recent streamers have taught me that mahjong is incredibly appropriate for someone like Kindly Cheng to play, because you do NOT get good at it by making unfavorable gambles. poo poo’s like the surreal love child of chess and poker.

Mahjong, relatively easy to learn once you understand hands and the tiles (assuming you don’t use the frou-frou wytpipo tile sets that a gaggle of white women tried to market a couple months back and got justifiably roasted online for), really loving hard to master. And that’s before you learn HK/Cantonese rules vs riichi/Japanese rules. Gotta get better than just trying for chicken hands...

Kobal2 posted:

The HKPF is already mostly a corporate hit squad rather than a police department. I mean sure, they also do regular policing stuff on the side, but they're really the armed fist of the HK government, which itself is literally a corporate board of directors. Sure, corpos being kind of sort of the de facto rulers is true more or less everywhere in the Sixth World but in HK they dropped the pretence entirely. It's a libertarian wetdream, which might explain the existence of the mother of all slums teehee.

wiegieman posted:

The HKPD answers to the highest bidder. They have no loyalty to anyone except kicking the poo poo out of whoever the FEZ council wants hurt and/or dead.
The Western Hemisphere equivalent is probably NYPD, Inc and the Manhattan Development Council after they bought the island of Manhattan from the federal government following the quake of 2005, but even then, NYPD, Inc is a AA mega in and of itself and has it’s own interests (even more so than they have right now as an extant organization, and as a current civilian employee, I would know). The HKPF answers only to the FEZ Council, and they are ruthless even taking the standards of most corporate security forces, and well armed to boot because of their funding from those megas on the Council.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

wiegieman posted:

It depends on the spirit. Some of the predator bug spirits get along quite well with humans because they have the same enemies, and don't even override their host.

That's just it

They do override their host, subsume their spirit and memories, and the person who's talking to you is actually an insect spirit wearing your friend's shape and memories like a meat suit in order to make the idea of getting your spirit eaten by an Insect Spirit sound more palatable.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

kaosdrachen posted:

That's just it

They do override their host, subsume their spirit and memories, and the person who's talking to you is actually an insect spirit wearing your friend's shape and memories like a meat suit in order to make the idea of getting your spirit eaten by an Insect Spirit sound more palatable.

Basically exactly what happened to Monika with APEX, in other words.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Happy to see the best HBS Shadowrun getting LP'd.

I love Dragonfall to pieces, but the story of Hong Kong is way more personal and I'm a huge fan of that. :toot:

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Dang, Kindly Cheng defanged Bao but good! Have to hope she doesn't turn on us.

I like the bloodless resolution, on the other hand, Duncan becoming a Ghostbuster would have been worth it!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

kaosdrachen posted:

That's just it

mantis spirits don't actually consume human spirits, only other insect spirits
they absolutely do hijack you in order to hunt other insect spirits tho

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What about spider spirits?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

StillFullyTerrible posted:

mantis spirits don't actually consume human spirits, only other insect spirits
they absolutely do hijack you in order to hunt other insect spirits tho
They also exclusively pick the kind of people that Hannibal Lecter would look up to as their hosts.

Poil posted:

What about spider spirits?
Spiders aren't insects and would be extremely offended at the comparison. For very good reason. Usually they're somewhere in the Trickster Spirit archetype.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Spider function like a normal animal totem (spiders aren't insects). You know how Dragonslayer rewarded Dietrich with more mojo for taking down the Polis club, since that fulfills Dragonslayer's ideals? Spider rewards spider shamans for taking out insect spirits and insect shamans. Spider has a monomaniacal obsession with destroying insect spirits. If you are going against an insect hive, spider will be your best friend.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Is this because of undying symbolic enmity, or are you expected to eat them?

("Yeah don't go in the back. Cheryl worships the Spider and she, uh...sometimes she wraps them up for later, if you know what I mean.")

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Spider is a human's conception of Spiders - they're shaped by that belief, so they're a clever, patient, industrious schemer who cleans the world of vermin.

Invae are spirits shaped by the beliefs of insects. They're what an ant colony or a beehive believes in.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Symbolic enmity, you don't have to literally eat them. Though I can't help but wonder if Spider would appreciate the gesture if you literally eat them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wiegieman posted:

Spider is a human's conception of Spiders - they're shaped by that belief, so they're a clever, patient, industrious schemer who cleans the world of vermin.

and they've got some serious tits

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

wiegieman posted:

Invae are spirits shaped by the beliefs of insects. They're what an ant colony or a beehive believes in.

Should have taken the aspects of anasazi type spider beliefs imo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Should have taken the aspects of anasazi type spider beliefs imo.

There are multiple versions of the same totem. There's a Wolf who's a proud lone hunter, and there's a Wolf who is a fierce pack defender.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is this my opportunity to ramble about the Creator totem again?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

PMush Perfect posted:

Is this my opportunity to ramble about the Creator totem again?

:justpost:

On a side note, shamans are one of my favorite player class just because the mechanical rules side and the roleplaying side of tabletops interact directly in way that no other class really does.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I dont know posted:

On a side note, shamans are one of my favorite player class just because the mechanical rules side and the roleplaying side of tabletops interact directly in way that no other class really does.

Same, shamans seem like the most fun to actually play, whereas other classes are fun to build. Like, I tend to design characters like a dude we haven't seen yet, but I would absolutely prefer playing Gobbet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I dont know posted:

Okay, so, the Creator, in particular, is wild. They're also known as the Artificer. So, what, are they the totem of monotheistic shamans, like YHVH, a polytheistic creator who made the world like Brahma, or are they one that creates things now, like Hephaestus? The answer, like with most things involving magic in Shadowrun, is "it depends on who you ask, but also all of the above." Just about any monotheistic or henotheistic shaman reveres the Creator basically by default, regardless of what name they know it/Him by, or what religion they follow. As you might imagine, this gives the idol a... complicated identity.

Edit: It's also very telling that the Creator was introduced in the Germany sourcebook; compared to the rest of the Sixth World, which has pretty much discarded the idea of organized religion, Germany has by and large held very firmly onto their Christian beliefs, including their mostly even split between Catholics and Protestants.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 7, 2021

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: It's also very telling that the Creator was introduced in the Germany sourcebook; compared to the rest of the Sixth World, which has pretty much discarded the idea of organized religion, Germany has by and large held very firmly onto their Christian beliefs, including their mostly even split between Catholics and Protestants.

The ADL (Allianz Deutscher Länder/Alliance of German States) is also way more decentralized than the modern counterpart, and at least one or two of those states are actual church-run theocracies. Also, watchers and spirits summoned by christian traditions tend to be patterned after biblical figures, chiefly angels. Both the "guy with wings" and the old testament "have no fear" types. The churches tend to be kinda uncomfortable with it because of how ambivalent the nature of spirits in general is.

IRL Germany has one of the biggest and most active Shadowrun communities in the world, and printing SR sourcebooks is done by a different company here IIRC due to some decade-old legal dealings. Said company is forbidden from publishing their books outside Germany, and they've created their own original material on top of translating the english books. Which means there's SR sourcebooks that are exclusive to the german market and not officially translated into english.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 10, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pparently theyre outrageously better at it too

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I have no trouble believing that, FASA dropped the ball almost every step of the way.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

bob dobbs is dead posted:

pparently theyre outrageously better at it too

Really!?! Are there unofficial translations?

And are they following the same metaplot or have they completely diverged?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Really!?! Are there unofficial translations?

And are they following the same metaplot or have they completely diverged?

IIRC same overall metaplot. Most of the extra content is centered around the ADL and Central Europe, fleshing out the region setting-wise and offering local stories and plot hooks on a smaller scale than the metaplot, including some full-on mini-campaign modules for GMs and the like. And of course local gear, vehicles, magical traditions etc. For example, there's a whole bunch of totems/mentor spirits based on german mythology - the Klabautermann is a relatively well-known patron for magic users along the North Sea and Baltic Sea coasts, to name one.

There's a few fan translation of some of the stuff on the web, I think? IIRC the newest book Pegasus (the german publisher) have brought out is titled State of the Art ADL, and it's basically all background, character options and gear.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 9, 2021

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I believe The Trove has all the Pegasus books, though I don't know how many are translated.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I have no trouble believing that, FASA dropped the ball almost every step of the way.

It's CGL now. And 'dropping the ball' is a massive understatement for what CGL's been up to the last few editions.

Possibly 'set the ball on fire then spiked it into a wood-chipper' ?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 10, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Lone Badger posted:

It's CGL now. And 'dropping the ball' is a massive understatement for what CGL's been up to the last few editions.

That explains CGL in a nutshell.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Lone Badger posted:

On the one hand, I dread the torrent of opinions that is likely to erupt. On the other hand, you kinda have to explain.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

On the one hand, I dread the torrent of opinions that is likely to erupt. On the other hand, you kinda have to explain.

You know how when people do work that you hire them to do, you pay them? Imagine if you didn't do that and spent all the money on house additions instead.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

wiegieman posted:

You know how when people do work that you hire them to do, you pay them? Imagine if you didn't do that and spent all the money on house additions instead.

I just came from the Crappy Construction thread and thought for a moment I hadn't actually closed the tab.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

wiegieman posted:

It's a novel business model, you have to give them that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

House additions, really? did hookers and blow just got declared over and done with after the 80s?

Yes I am griftshaming.