Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

somebody flipped their truck on the highway (which was a collaborative public works project funded by the government because eco is a game where the ability to trade your labor is a real mechanic) and everyone stopped what they were doing to come help unload the truck and clear the road. amazing scenario, completely fueled by self interest because they needed the road to get to the market and everyone in eco is a libertarian

I think if you removed the part in parenthesis I would not have known this was about a video game

also this game has singleplayer but I'm guessing that's not Where It's At

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think if you removed the part in parenthesis I would not have known this was about a video game

also this game has singleplayer but I'm guessing that's not Where It's At
if you play single player you have to do everything yourself, where this was a "high cooperation" server meaning you only get enough skill points to extremely narrowly specialize. to the point that like, if you take the mining skill you need to seriously consider whether its worth it to also learn smelting or to trade your ore to someone thats specialized in metals

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hope there’s a global chat channel, love right wing chat in video games

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A 30-person server where every single person is roleplaying as Daniel Plainview

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
This no longer sounds like a video game I’d enjoy, haha.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The funniest thing is that after reading a bunch of Steam reviews I still had no idea the game was multiplayer until reading these posts

most reviews are like "I love this game but it's very complicated! I love to build :)"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't need a game that's just real life simulator, real life is poo poo enough as it is

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

consider this though: trees in the game are physical objects and when you chop them down your guy yells "timber" as it falls over, and then probably rolls down a hill or into a river or something because gently caress you

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Here is my TED talk on "forest temple sucks":

First room: the very first place in the entire game where you get a small key. The camera angle and enemies lure your sight forwards to the wolfos and the door. If you don't look to the right and see the climbable vines, you miss the first small key and get stuck at a locked door halfway through the dungeon. To be honest, this setup isn't terrible in a vacuum, but it's an awful introduction to the small key system.
Rear room: fight vs two stalfos. Stalfos kind of suck and I think this is the very first time you see them. Probably should have started you off with a single Stalfos. Probably a lot of kids died in this room. Welcome to being an adult.
Courtyard: this area is fine. No complaints.
Block pushing room: Pushing blocks is so loving slow, and even if you make no mistakes, you're pushing these blocks for an interminable period of time. Even with the blocks already pushed, it's kind of annoying to climb through the room because it's just big and long and empty, and you're forced to do so twice.
First twisty room: This part is fine. Sets up a nice "aha!" moment as you try vainly to hookshot the eye switch and equip your child-only slingshot. When you do come back here with the bow, you get the boss key and a small key, and then have to climb back up the loving block push room again because it dumps you out down there.
Red/blue poe rooms: These rooms aren't like, terrible, but why is it literally duplicated. Not fun to do twice back to back.
Stalfos room: I don't think anybody enjoys giant pits that drop you at the beginning of the dungeon and force you to walk back. Plus in your second-ever tussle with Stalfos, you're doing it first with a giant pit in the middle, and then again with a timer. Also this room lags like whoa, even on VC.
Second twisty room: I hope you got the key in the first room or you're stuck, fucker. You also need to have gone back for the key in the first twisty hallway, so if you don't backtrack instantly for that you have a shitton of walking in your future.
Frozen eye switch room: This room is fine
Green poe room: Ah yes, more slow-rear end block pushing, to solve a "puzzle" a toddler could solve in their sleep. Except there's a timer so you might have to start over. Followed by the same poe fight you've done twice already. gently caress this room.
Main room redux: The purple poe is here now, and it loving sucks. Just a complete waste of your time. I don't think it can even hurt you. Why does this enemy take five hits. Why does it even exist.
Basement: More pushing animations. This room has a kind of cool idea, where you change the shape of the room you're in, but it can be completely brute forced and if, by complete chance, your first push is clockwise instead of counterclockwise, you have to push the thing three times as much lol. And it's not really like you can reason your way into the solution without brute force. So it's just a room where you aimlessly push a block. Also the seams don't line up and you can see into out of bounds lol.
Phantom Ganon: You will die here. It's not a terrible boss but it's loving rude wakeup.

Just do this instead and save yourself the hassle, honestly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkYfnNNDQ8

okay but the music and overall vibe are really cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

i'm gonna try to get back into eco again when the server I was playing on resets, everything about that game is absurd in a kinda disgusting way. like, you level up faster depending on the quality of your diet and the furnishings in your house meaning people that are rich enough to afford a balanced diet and a sick house level up faster giving them first access to stuff that makes them even richer. when the game starts you have a primitive barter system where you trade stuff based on favors to individual players, but then ultimately one person dominates the market to the point that everyone starts trading in that player's credit. until someone invents the Concept Of Currency, then you can start minting currency out of any material in the game, and the only thing that can stop someone else with a stockpile of that material from also inventing currency and inflating the economy is if the player government enacts a law that makes it illegal. the most recent update just added a Landlord System

i saw two people have the most insane fight in a video game ive seen in a long time, over right of way on a road crossing one guy's property, until one of them gave away all his belongings and ragequit the server. great game

oh my god, is there a server for these forums or something? this sounds like recreating all the missteps of humanity emergently and developmentally.

cheetah7071 posted:

Rear room: fight vs two stalfos. Stalfos kind of suck and I think this is the very first time you see them. Probably should have started you off with a single Stalfos. Probably a lot of kids died in this room. Welcome to being an adult.

Stalfos owns. Beating Stalfos as a kid was the most Dark Souls moment of the franchise.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 6, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

thanks for the link, i was actually scrolling my youtube feeds assuming this recipe was on the uhh babish-sohla channel. whats a dry brine? ive made wings in the past just baking raw frozen wings, then tossing em in hotsauce-garlic-honey-spices-butter mix in a pan. saving link 4 next shop trip. still got a bunch of this chipotle something powder i failed to label but its been a good spicy flavour to toss into anything lately.

Sohla explains in more detail in the video but the major goals of this method of prep (which does take some time) is to get salt into the wing surface, facilitate sauce coating, and have a crisp outside and juicy inside. A traditional "wet brine" suspends the salt in liquid and then you soak the meat in the liquid, which helps with the salt, but not the other things, and it will be difficult to crisp in the oven. "Dry brining" by tossing in salt and baking powder (Sohla also adds sugar), and then allowing it to dry off in the fridge as the salt leaches moisture, will let the wings crisp up in the oven. The baking powder will "microblister" the surface when cooking, allowing for both a more crispy outside and providing more surface area for the sauce to cover.

The key thing I learned from this video (she improved on a Kenji Lopez-Alt method) is that if your sauce has enough sugar in it (like with the honey), then it helps to toss it in the sauce and let the glaze caramelize and brown the skin with an additional 20 minutes of baking. If it doesn't have sugar in it (like the core hot sauce-butter mix) then it won't benefit from this and you should just toss it in the sauce before serving.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
not coincidentally, my least favorite dungeon in mega man legends 2 is the fire dungeon because, despite some cool setups, the music sucks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8uc6LvfaM

compare the first two dungeons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRcrwPglB_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfuFOtoQq9A

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Here is my TED talk on "forest temple sucks":

First room: the very first place in the entire game where you get a small key. The camera angle and enemies lure your sight forwards to the wolfos and the door. If you don't look to the right and see the climbable vines, you miss the first small key and get stuck at a locked door halfway through the dungeon. To be honest, this setup isn't terrible in a vacuum, but it's an awful introduction to the small key system.
Courtyard: this area is fine. No complaints.
Block pushing room: Pushing blocks is so loving slow, and even if you make no mistakes, you're pushing these blocks for an interminable period of time. Even with the blocks already pushed, it's kind of annoying to climb through the room because it's just big and long and empty, and you're forced to do so twice.
First twisty room: This part is fine. Sets up a nice "aha!" moment as you try vainly to hookshot the eye switch and equip your child-only slingshot. When you do come back here with the bow, you get the boss key and a small key, and then have to climb back up the loving block push room again because it dumps you out down there.
Red/blue poe rooms: These rooms aren't like, terrible, but why is it literally duplicated. Not fun to do twice back to back.
Stalfos room: I don't think anybody enjoys giant pits that drop you at the beginning of the dungeon and force you to walk back. Plus in your second-ever tussle with Stalfos, you're doing it first with a giant pit in the middle, and then again with a timer. Also this room lags like whoa, even on VC.
Second twisty room: I hope you got the key in the first room or you're stuck, fucker. You also need to have gone back for the key in the first twisty hallway, so if you don't backtrack instantly for that you have a shitton of walking in your future.
Frozen eye switch room: This room is fine
Green poe room: Ah yes, more slow-rear end block pushing, to solve a "puzzle" a toddler could solve in their sleep. Except there's a timer so you might have to start over. Followed by the same poe fight you've done twice already. gently caress this room.
Main room redux: The purple poe is here now, and it loving sucks. Just a complete waste of your time. I don't think it can even hurt you. Why does this enemy take five hits. Why does it even exist.
Basement: More pushing animations. This room has a kind of cool idea, where you change the shape of the room you're in, but it can be completely brute forced and if, by complete chance, your first push is clockwise instead of counterclockwise, you have to push the thing three times as much lol. And it's not really like you can reason your way into the solution without brute force. So it's just a room where you aimlessly push a block. Also the seams don't line up and you can see into out of bounds lol.
Phantom Ganon: You will die here. It's not a terrible boss but it's loving rude wakeup.

Just do this instead and save yourself the hassle, honestly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkYfnNNDQ8

Yeah i always got stuck in forest temple but never in the others

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dry brining sounds cool and the baking soda thing is especially cool, i love baking soda and cornstarch involved recipes. Something cool and poppy/crackly going on or corn starch often means a cool slime to eat.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

in the extended universe stuff for FF7, it's made clear Avalanche is a bigger entity-- and also was partly financed by Rufus so they could try to assassinate his father, President Shinra

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

okay but the music and overall vibe are really cool

that's all the oot dungeons though, which is a large part of why oot rules so hard

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh I forgot the room with the falling ceiling. That room is good.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I finished final fantasy legend 2 and while I'm gonna save my big post on them till after I beat three I will say now that a lot of the spritework in these is choice

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Khanstant posted:

Stalfos owns. Beating Stalfos as a kid was the most Dark Souls moment of the franchise.

The first Stalfos fight was such a brick wall for Teen Rarity that I bounced off the game for like 6 months

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Relax Or DIE posted:

this sounds like one of those games that's awesome to read about and i'd never want to actually touch.

also just thinking about this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

I do not like that video game.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
God, LA Noire is so hecking good

It's extremely close to being perfect, in fact

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

God, LA Noire is so hecking good

It's extremely close to being perfect, in fact

*ahem*

ACAB

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Convex posted:

*ahem*

ACAB

Look, it was a different time

Funny enough, your second (and best) partner, Bekowski, has a line. I literally just played this part.

Phelps (the player) is like "ah shucks that kid clearly didn't steal that car"
Bekowski goes "If he were black or Hispanic you'd be singing a different tune."

IIRC it's also literally true that Bekowski is a communist.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rarity posted:

The first Stalfos fight was such a brick wall for Teen Rarity that I bounced off the game for like 6 months

I submit that OoT simply isn't a great game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Walla posted:

I submit that OoT simply isn't a great game.

disagree

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

OoT is good because it allowed majora’s mask to happen

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jay Rust posted:

OoT is good because it allowed majora’s mask to happen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they're both good op it doesn't have to be a contest

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

they're both good op it doesn't have to be a contest

the only reason to discuss games at all is to uncover the true list of all games from best to worst and attitudes like THIS are not helping!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

OoT marks the beginning of the cutscneneing of Zelda, very fatal

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also a reminder that a movable character focused camera isn't necessarily strictly better just because we now have the tech to do it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

OoT marks the beginning of the cutscneneing of Zelda, very fatal

I think Twilight Princess was the beginning of the over-tutorialisation which was far worse. I never got more than a few hours into Skyward Sword because Fi just wouldn't shut the gently caress up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The top down view, in many genres, is one of the things I miss from the older handheld days.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The top down view, in many genres, is one of the things I miss from the older handheld days.

I'm honestly surprised noone made an 8 bit GB demake of Hotline Miami, I think the style would lend itself well to it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
That's just fortified zone

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How people feel about ALTTP is how The feel about OOT. ALTTP was just a bit before my time and I don’t have any real emotional attachment to it, didn’t really play it until the GBA version.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gonna give Outer Wilds another go today & tomorrow

i'm usually stopped by a mix of wandering attention span and an extremely excessive fear of falling into e.g. suns, black holes, planetary cores and similar gravitational phenomena

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

chrono cross is better than chrono trigger

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ciaphas posted:

an extremely excessive fear of falling into e.g. suns, black holes, planetary cores and similar gravitational phenomena

You should try falling into different things, see how it goes, might help you face your fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys 9 has some amazing qol features in it that are blowing my mind.

Each character in your party has a movement ability like gliding or climbing walls and you do not have to hit the swap button to the right character for whatever ability you can do all the party abilities as any character

Also, you have a npc in your house that will run an errand to buy you any item you have seen in a shop up to that point anywhere in the game.

Amazing