Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder if I would've kept having discs if I had a house in a single place rather than moving internationally between small apartments for my adult life. I went Kindle and haven't bought a paper book in years either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I put all my dvds and blu rays in cd binders about five years ago. I put the inserts in a tupperware storage thing. Sometimes people call me a monster when I tell them that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dunno about Netflix, but Hulu is all potato broadcast copies now.

Hulu is just straight up poo poo. Half the time I can't get anything to stream in HD.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I think the last movie I bought was a copy of Hero I got on ebay before it was released in the states.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Grand Fromage posted:

Dumb but genuine question, how do you still watch things on discs? I cannot remember the last time I even saw an optical drive or a disc. When I was buying parts for my new desktop, there wasn't a single case that even had a slot where you could install a drive. Do you use an external? Are DVD players still a thing?

I got a box copy of Fallout: New Vegas in 2010 and that's probably the last time I've touched physical media. Am I the weird one?

Console or when I do need to run a disk on my pc, external dvd drive.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The ending is a little janky but overall it's so much better than a sequence I never thought could be improved on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO7bShcL9Uc&ab_channel=nmatos

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've got a dumb little portable DVD player that I use because I love commentary tracks and that still feels like the easiest way to get those, I dunno how many streaming services are including them. The screen on it is godawful though. I own too many DVDs to give up on them completely.

My PC has a DVD drive but I don't actually know how to open it.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Dumb but genuine question, how do you still watch things on discs? I cannot remember the last time I even saw an optical drive or a disc. When I was buying parts for my new desktop, there wasn't a single case that even had a slot where you could install a drive. Do you use an external? Are DVD players still a thing?

I use my PS4 - basically anyone who has a modern console has a disc-reading system.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've accumulated a fairly big collection of shows and movies on disc over the years, but I do use a few streaming services for the convenience. (And for the serendipity - I've recently started in on SG-1 because I noticed it was on Netflix. I caught the show here and there when it was on first run, and I had always liked it, but it still wouldn't have occurred to me to start this journey by tracking down DVDs, even though it may end that way now.)

And it always sucks when a show you're watching vanishes from a streaming service. But those shows do have a crazy tendency to shoot way up in popularity on the pirate torrents as soon as they pull their disappearing act. (Just sayin'.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m 32 and recently had a 26 year old rag on me for buying blu-rays. I really had no idea until recently how old buying discs makes me seem.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

HD DAD posted:

I’m 32 and recently had a 26 year old rag on me for buying blu-rays. I really had no idea until recently how old buying discs makes me seem.
When I was a kid, my parents had a tower of VHS tapes that reached the ceiling. Someone broke into our home and took them for whatever reason. I used to collect downloaded media on an HDD until someone pointed out even that was a waste of hard drive space when it's all pretty much reliably continually available, so the only media I save consists of fan edits that put back all the deleted scenes

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 6, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Astroman posted:

The ending is a little janky but overall it's so much better than a sequence I never thought could be improved on:

LMAO why do they have these old fashioned metal gates on the docking bay instead of just a sensible forcefield??

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

I've got a dumb little portable DVD player that I use because I love commentary tracks and that still feels like the easiest way to get those, I dunno how many streaming services are including them. The screen on it is godawful though. I own too many DVDs to give up on them completely.

My PC has a DVD drive but I don't actually know how to open it.

There should be a little button next to the disc tray to open/close it on your PC, I have never seen one without that feature unless you were joking and I am dumb

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tighclops posted:

There should be a little button next to the disc tray to open/close it on your PC, I have never seen one without that feature unless you were joking and I am dumb

I think there probably is but without checking I don't actually know where. Though I know I can open it from within Windows. I just think it's amusing that it's there at all.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I put all my dvds and blu rays in cd binders about five years ago. I put the inserts in a tupperware storage thing. Sometimes people call me a monster when I tell them that.

You monster.

Hell I only a year or two cleared out my VHS collection so what do I know

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jIu64MtZqE

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just be careful of binders for long term storage, especially for DVDs since they lack the hardcoat that blu-rays have. Prolonged contact with the sleeve liners has been known to etch the surface and render them unplayable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

LMAO why do they have these old fashioned metal gates on the docking bay instead of just a sensible forcefield??

I read somewhere that Spacedock has a hard seal exit because they could pressurize the interior dock with an atmosphere, and a big hard metal door is less likely to fail and disappear suddenly than a forcefield is.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Khanstant posted:

Presumably so that the scriptwriters could add some tension when the Enterprise didn't slow down as it approached the closed doors. A force field wouldn't have had the same visual effect.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nine-gear crow posted:

I read somewhere that Spacedock has a hard seal exit because they could pressurize the interior dock with an atmosphere, and a big hard metal door is less likely to fail and disappear suddenly than a forcefield is.

Depending on how often they have to open up the doors, it might be way more energy efficient too. It doesn't require any power usage when the door is shut.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Um...I think you'll find there were no large forcefields available in the TOS era, nothing like that can be seen in any historical records.

Pfft, next you'll say Kirk's era had some sort of instantaneous transport drive. :rolleyes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

Um...I think you'll find there were no large forcefields available in the TOS era, nothing like that can be seen in any historical records.

Pfft, next you'll say Kirk's era had some sort of instantaneous transport drive. :rolleyes:

The Enterprise-A flew from Earth to the literal center of the galaxy at regular warp in about a day and a half...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bilirubin posted:

You monster.

Hell I only a year or two cleared out my VHS collection so what do I know

I bought two VHS tapes last year, but in my defense they were both for movies that haven’t had DVD or Blu releases.

I saved my dad’s Beta copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark from the trash just out of nostalgia. I’ve got nothing to play it on, but it’s sitting on the shelf with my other Indy stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I also put all my discs into CD binders. I find it handy because if I'm going to someone's place and they want to watch a movie, I can quickly grab like 400 movies to choose from so we don't have to scour Netflix for hours.

I have a blu-ray player connected to my TV, one in my desktop PC, and my desktop PC is also hooked up to my TV so I can run movies directly from there too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Smythe posted:

you have to watch every episode of star trek. it's the law

a scofflaw I am, then

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think Hulu ever had the HD versions

I think the only services that had them were Netflix, Amazon, and CBS AA

Prime has HD as well, we are watching it currently.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i havent had any means to play optical media in like a hundred yrs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I bought two VHS tapes last year, but in my defense they were both for movies that haven’t had DVD or Blu releases.

I saved my dad’s Beta copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark from the trash just out of nostalgia. I’ve got nothing to play it on, but it’s sitting on the shelf with my other Indy stuff.

A guy I used to work with swore by having a VCR for young children. By his logic, VCRs and especially tapes are practically free from Goodwill and gives your child something mechanical to play with. Plus a VCR and CRT are more durable than a tablet and cheaper to replace.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ppl itt:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

i havent had any means to play optical media in like a hundred yrs.

my desktop has a floppy drive

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pick posted:

my desktop has a floppy drive

How fast is its dialup modem?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
at this point it's there sentimentally since it's the last piece of my Original computer i got in middle school. it isn't hooked up it's just hanging out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Astroman posted:

Oh com eon, TOS had much smoother tracking shots than that. They;re exaggerating for effect, and the effect is bad and they shouldn't do that.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Pick posted:

at this point it's there sentimentally since it's the last piece of my Original computer i got in middle school. it isn't hooked up it's just hanging out.

Is there still an AOL disk in there containing a crappy story written in Wordperfect?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's very interesting that most of the Captains started in theater between Shatner, Stewart, Brooks

also Bakula started on Broadway apparently

Beltran was and is a Shakespearean actor too (he teaches workshops to this day) which blew my mind bc I never liked his character

My fav story about him with Ray Walston (Boothby):

memory alpha ray walston posted:

During his appearance on the Star Trek: Voyager episode "In the Flesh", Walston often had trouble with remembering his lines during long one-shot dialogue scenes. However, while the cameraman was changing the film during shooting of the scene in the briefing room, Walston recited a line from Hamlet. 

Robert Beltran then stated the next line, and Walston the next. The two went on for about five full minutes, amazing the entire cast and crew. 

Tim Russ remembered in an interview for the special features of the Voyager Season 5 DVD that it was so quiet besides them, you could hear a pin drop, and that when they were done, everyone broke out in applause.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

Not even gonna judge I teared up a little when I scrapped my tower with the floppy drive

So much shareware was shared there

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My parents were perpetually late to anything technology related, so I didn’t have a CD burner or thumb drive until like 2004. This means I still have a stack of floppy discs filled with early image macros from SA and other boards from the early 2000s. I haven’t had a floppy drive in 17 years.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Only a Paper Moon was some seriously good television, drat.
Dukat is only getting crazier.

Least Odo is the same, he is still a traitor that gets away with things and sucks.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

V-Men posted:

Is there still an AOL disk in there containing a crappy story written in Wordperfect?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

THE Daikatana demo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Marx Headroom posted:

Beltran was and is a Shakespearean actor too (he teaches workshops to this day) which blew my mind bc I never liked his character

My fav story about him with Ray Walston (Boothby):

"And as they finished the scene, Rick Berman walked in and said, 'What is this crap? Where's the tits and wrestling?!'"