Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Methanar posted:

Actually 2 years of extreme loneliness and isolation from working at home during the time this pandemic will last are very real problems and may well be more harmful than covid itself for an otherwise healthy young man and should be treated properly and taken seriously.

Hth

You realize it makes your teeth fall out, gives you permanent brain damage, gives you permanent heart damage, and can easily kill you right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Quabzor posted:

Seems like radiation or sound waves could be the 4th option there.

Have you tried replacing the word cleaning with sanitizing or sterilizing in your searches.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Not what you were thinking of, but Applied Science on youtube has a really cool video on cleaning.

Thanks guys, your suggestions helped inspire some searches.

I haven't found the actual website I visited years ago, but I have found the theory/principle.
It turns out it was TATC: Temperature, Action, Time, Chemistry.
If you use less of one, you need more of the others

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Everett False posted:

poo poo, it's probably the well water doing it, then. We have enough towels that we basically wash them all together in cold water every two weeks, no softeners or anything. I thought maybe there was something about makeup and jojoba oil making my fancy face towels go lovely super-fast. I kept seeing reviews from people who said they just toss theirs and buy new ones whenever they lose their softness and that felt super wasteful to me. I'll try an extended vinegar soak before their next wash, hopefully that'll do the trick.

Try hot water too. We always do our towels/sheets in hot. I think hot puts you in danger of colors mixing though. (I'm really not sure of the reason, she says wash towels hot so I just do it)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

alnilam posted:

T fal is a pretty good cheap teflon pan. Any teflon pan will have a finite life though so there's no reason to go fancy on them.

Anodized aluminum is nice and lasts longer / doesn't deposit teflon in your stomach, I've enjoyed the basic calphalon ones

Thanks!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Boba Pearl posted:

You realize it makes your teeth fall out, gives you permanent brain damage, gives you permanent heart damage, and can easily kill you right?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5754055/
https://www.nap.edu/read/25663/chapter/4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hiking or walking in open areas (as long as they aren't crowded) is pretty safe as long as people wear masks and keep distance and its a nice activity you can do with a small group or on a date

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earwicker posted:

hiking or walking in open areas (as long as they aren't crowded) is pretty safe as long as people wear masks and keep distance and its a nice activity you can do with a small group or on a date

I’m not disagreeing with the premise, but in my experience, these devolve into picnics and I have to take a rain check.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

I took the time to read both of thes.

I don't think you've read them, this is increased mortality compared to obesity, smoking, and other life style choices. This is still a much lower mortality rate than Covid is currently, which you'd know if you read what you had linked me.

At the end of day you live your life the way you want, but slamming your junk into someone else's junk during a pandemic is incredibly stupid, nearly as stupid as thinking that 2 years in isolation is worse than catching covid.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Platystemon posted:

I’m not disagreeing with the premise, but in my experience, these devolve into picnics and I have to take a rain check.

Have you considered that maybe you're just bad at hiking. You're probably the sort of 'hiker' who doesn't even have a chaff bag loaded with chocolate coated nuts and dried fruit to tie at your waist so you don't need to stop moving to eat. Casual.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

At the end of day you live your life the way you want, but slamming your junk into someone else's junk during a pandemic is incredibly stupid, nearly as stupid as thinking that 2 years in isolation is worse than catching covid.

or you can get to know someone doing safe activities like talking or taking walks and then if you decide you want to get physical, go get covid tests first?

i dont think a strict "2 years of isolation" is at all necessary

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inceltown posted:

Have you considered that maybe you're just bad at hiking. You're probably the sort of 'hiker' who doesn't even have a chaff bag loaded with chocolate coated nuts and dried fruit to tie at your waist so you don't need to stop moving to eat. Casual.

No I have not.

But now you have inspired me to make and market a feedbag for humans.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Platystemon posted:

No I have not.

But now you have inspired me to make and market a feedbag for humans.

BK is way ahead of you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I took the time to read both of thes.

I don't think you've read them

Of course they haven't.....those were the first google results. You know where you're posting, right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I grew up in California. It's a lovely state. It's also really loving expensive. I'm giving serious consideration to picking up and moving elsewhere once the pandemic is more or less under control (i.e. not imminently). The question is, where? I don't have a ton of experience with most of the country, so I'm hoping I can access the goon hivemind for some recommendations and things to consider.

The main things I'm searching for / worried about :
  • I'd like to be able to buy a decent house for under $300k wherever I end up. I'm single and don't need a ton of space, but I've had enough apartment living to know it's not for me.
  • I have seasonal affective disorder, so I need to avoid long stretches of gray, overcast days. I spent three years in Seattle and it was not a good time, thanks to the continuous overcast between September and April. These days I get a lot of fog (living on the coast near San Francisco will do that), but it's broken up by the occasional sunny day, which helps a lot.
  • I'd prefer to not live in a deeply conservative state, even if it's in a liberal island. Politics brings enough stress into my life as it is.
  • I want a reasonable level of access to social services and events (again assuming that this is post-covid). I used to daydream about building a cabin in the woods, but then I realized that that meant a 30+ minute drive to get to anything and the idea lost a lot of its appeal for me. Doesn't have to be urban, but rural is out.
Otherwise, I can handle heat/cold, humidity isn't fantastic but I can cope. Basically, give me photons and the ability to find nerds to play board games with and I'll be OK. Where would you recommend I look?

(and if this is the wrong place to ask, sorry! Where ought I to go instead?)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Close to stuff, in a blue or at least purplish state, and housing under $300k is a tough combination. How attached are you to that number?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd prefer to not live in a deeply conservative state, even if it's in a liberal island. Politics brings enough stress into my life as it is.

If you can let this one go your options open WAY up. I've lived in the south my whole life just bouncing around cities and college towns. You get used to just kinda hating your elected representatives. Gives you and your friends something to bitch about. Also look at what happened in Georgia during the last election. The south isn't completely conservative, a lot of it is just suppressed.

All that said, what's your work situation?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 8, 2021

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!

Earwicker posted:

i dont really understand the difference in appeal between buying a title in a pre-established unrecognized state for $347.49 vs simply founding your own unrecognized state and declaring yourself whatever title you want for free.
It's a touch strange, but it make sense in my mind.

Like I said, as a kid, we had an island, which we called the Principality of Richland, and I was the prince of it. If I ever got an island again (I haven't got any land now -- I live in town in an apartment), I'd either be the grand duke or maybe the archduke of it. I vacillate between the two. It's dumb -- I'm a forty year old man with little kid fantasies -- but I enjoy it.

It would need to be an island. I know there are even legitimate landlocked states, but in my mind, island=independence. I've thought of buying a dozen or a hundred landlocked acres and having them publicly accessible to hikers and snowshoers (that might be odd elsewhere, but it's a very common thing to do here). That could be a grand duchy and/or achduchy, but it isn't an island and therefore falls short of legitimate in my eyes.

An island would cost $30,000-$50,000. I can piss away $350 to make me happy -- I can't 30-50k.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Close to stuff, in a blue or at least purplish state, and housing under $300k is a tough combination. How attached are you to that number?

I'm still spitballing stuff at this stage, so that's not a hard limit. But of course the more I spend on the house the less I have for everything else in my life / my retirement.

I've looked at e.g. Philadelphia and it seems like there's a fair number of options available there in under $300k. I've been to that city a few times for work trips, and it seems at least decent? Though staying in a hotel near the city center does not exactly give one a representative view of what the city's like.

McCracAttack posted:

If you can let this one go your options open WAY up. I've lived in the south my whole life just bouncing around cities and college towns. You get used to just kinda hating your elected representatives. Gives you and your friends something to bitch about. Also look at what happened in Georgia during the last election. The south isn't completely conservative, a lot of it is just suppressed.

I don't contest this. I'm mostly just trying to manage my mental health as best I can. Given how poorly I coped during the last administration, I feel like living in a red state would be bad for me personally. I definitely need to very carefully curate what kinds of opinions I expose my brain to these days.

quote:

All that said, what's your work situation?

My background is software, where practically everyone is remote these days. I have confidence that I'll be able to find work pretty much regardless of where I live. But as it happens, I've been working from home on an indie videogame. A big part of the reason to consider moving is that it greatly extends the amount of time I can afford to spend on silly projects like this. In any case, I won't do anything that puts my financial future in jeopardy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PersonFromPorlock posted:

It would need to be an island. I know there are even legitimate landlocked states, but in my mind, island=independence. I've thought of buying a dozen or a hundred landlocked acres and having them publicly accessible to hikers and snowshoers (that might be odd elsewhere, but it's a very common thing to do here). That could be a grand duchy and/or achduchy, but it isn't an island and therefore falls short of legitimate in my eyes.

An island would cost $30,000-$50,000. I can piss away $350 to make me happy -- I can't 30-50k.

sure i understand the desire to have your own private island, what i dont understand is what exactly you are getting for the $350 other than a piece of paper you could easily print out yourself. it's not like buying a title from the sealand people gets you an actual island, so how is that any more "legitimate" than simply declaring yourself the duke of whatever apartment you live in?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm still spitballing stuff at this stage, so that's not a hard limit. But of course the more I spend on the house the less I have for everything else in my life / my retirement.

I've looked at e.g. Philadelphia and it seems like there's a fair number of options available there in under $300k. I've been to that city a few times for work trips, and it seems at least decent? Though staying in a hotel near the city center does not exactly give one a representative view of what the city's like.

There are some very nice areas in Philly, but you might want to spend some time with Zillow and a crime map before you get too attached to any particular area. The software dev market isn't great, but it's fairly easy to work remote for an NYC firm, and that gives you options. But Philly is very much a blue island in a sea of red, and the Pennsylvania state government may be an issue for you.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pittsburgh is an amazing city to live in and very affordable in the urban core. I lived there for 15 years for very very cheap without a car and loved it. Below 300k is easy in some of the coolest neighborhoods. Fairly left leaning city as well. Pretty grey though weather wise.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have a Stanley Fatmax car jump starter which has been beeping quite loudly for some reason, and the only way I've been able to get it to stop beeping is pressing the battery check button.

How do battery check buttons work? Is it safe to rig up something to keep that button pressed all night?

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!

Earwicker posted:

sure i understand the desire to have your own private island, what i dont understand is what exactly you are getting for the $350 other than a piece of paper you could easily print out yourself. it's not like buying a title from the sealand people gets you an actual island, so how is that any more "legitimate" than simply declaring yourself the duke of whatever apartment you live in?
Diddly squat.

It just seemed to me that, of all the micronations I've come across, Sealand seemed the most "real", for lack of a better word. I mean, they have held Roughs Tower for more than half a century. It isn't like more micronations that exist more in concept than actuality. The county does comes with a square foot of property of Sealand. Square foot of what? I don't know exactly, but of something.

That was really the gist of my question -- are there any other micronations like Sealand in existence in that they, you know, exist.

PersonFromPorlock fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 8, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Diddly squat.

It just seemed to me that, of all the micronations I've come across, Sealand seemed the most "real", for lack of a better word. I mean, they have held Roughs Tower for more than half a century. It isn't like more micronations that exist more in concept than actuality. The county does comes with a square foot of property of Sealand. Square foot of what? I don't know exactly, but of something.

That was really the gist of my question -- are there any other micronations like Sealand in existence in that they, you know, exist.

You could always just buy a house in Lichtenstein

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sometimes in YouTube videos they'll say something like "I'll put a link to that here" and point to the corner of the screen but there's nothing there and nothing happens. I'm assuming I have some setting somewhere turned off that's stopping those links from popping up - or maybe it's a function of my ad blocker? Anyone know where that setting is (if it exists) or what's blocking those links?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes in YouTube videos they'll say something like "I'll put a link to that here" and point to the corner of the screen but there's nothing there and nothing happens. I'm assuming I have some setting somewhere turned off that's stopping those links from popping up - or maybe it's a function of my ad blocker? Anyone know where that setting is (if it exists) or what's blocking those links?
Those were called annotations. YouTube disabled annotations in January 2019, leaving millions of videos seeming like they're bugged. The problem was annotations never worked on mobile and as mobile viewership increased annotations were becoming usable by fewer and fewer viewers.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 8, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I think they're referring to Cards:

Creators Academy on Cards

You can set one up to appear in the top right corner, or common to see them at the end of videos.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Diddly squat.

It just seemed to me that, of all the micronations I've come across, Sealand seemed the most "real", for lack of a better word. I mean, they have held Roughs Tower for more than half a century. It isn't like more micronations that exist more in concept than actuality.

they hold the tower in the same exact sense that the "prince" of hutt river in australia has held his little river valley. the land is occupied by the people who claim these titles but they are unrecognized by any other nation. since these nations only exist on paper and in the heads of their founders, there's nothing stopping you from simply declaring yourself a duke or prince of your own just-as-unrecognized micronation

so yea i still don't understand why you can't just do the same thing yourself. buying a square foot of an old tower in the middle of the ocean doesn't get you "an island" any more than buying a square foot of any other building that isn't claimed as a micronation. it still wouldn't be your micronation, you're just buying a bit (a very small bit) of land in a foreign country that you don't currently live in. a country owned by someone else, who you are paying. so why not just it yourself?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 8, 2021

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I declare, as king and supreme lord of Trapick Island, that all who read these words are henceforth and forever Lords and Ladies in good standing, and shall be granted the title of Duke/Prince/Baron/Lord/etc. as to their fancy.

For those wishing for additional formality, please make a donation to a local food bank or other charity of your choice, and I shall personally and directly grant thee a title.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My kitchen scale supports these units: oz, fluid oz, g, ml. Is there any reason for the liquid ones?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Those were called annotations. YouTube disabled annotations in January 2019

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I think they're referring to Cards:
It must be Cards since I've noticed it in very recent videos. But why can't I see them? Knowing the name, I was able to find the setting.

smackfu posted:

My kitchen scale supports these units: oz, fluid oz, g, ml. Is there any reason for the liquid ones?
It just has the conversion for water (and possibly other things - milk is common) programmed into it for convenience. So you can pour water or milk into a mixture (or unmarked container) and see how much you're adding.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The conversion for water is 1:1 for both fl oz and mL so it seems kind of silly. If you can actually set it to oil or something it could be useful.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Is there a way I can pause my mail? Or have it sent directly to the post office for me to pick it up later? How does one do that?

I'll be out of town for a while but I also don't want to change my address and have no one reliable to collect mail for me. This is in the US.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Christoph posted:

Is there a way I can pause my mail? Or have it sent directly to the post office for me to pick it up later? How does one do that?

I'll be out of town for a while but I also don't want to change my address and have no one reliable to collect mail for me. This is in the US.

yes you can go to the post office website and press the big "hold mail" button

https://www.usps.com/manage/hold-mail.htm

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

smackfu posted:

Ounce is a measure of dry weight, fluid ounce is a measure of fluid volume. Water is the only thing were you'll get the same number in oz and fl oz

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I grew up in California. It's a lovely state. It's also really loving expensive. I'm giving serious consideration to picking up and moving elsewhere once the pandemic is more or less under control (i.e. not imminently). The question is, where? I don't have a ton of experience with most of the country, so I'm hoping I can access the goon hivemind for some recommendations and things to consider.

The main things I'm searching for / worried about :
  • I'd like to be able to buy a decent house for under $300k wherever I end up. I'm single and don't need a ton of space, but I've had enough apartment living to know it's not for me.
  • I have seasonal affective disorder, so I need to avoid long stretches of gray, overcast days. I spent three years in Seattle and it was not a good time, thanks to the continuous overcast between September and April. These days I get a lot of fog (living on the coast near San Francisco will do that), but it's broken up by the occasional sunny day, which helps a lot.
  • I'd prefer to not live in a deeply conservative state, even if it's in a liberal island. Politics brings enough stress into my life as it is.
  • I want a reasonable level of access to social services and events (again assuming that this is post-covid). I used to daydream about building a cabin in the woods, but then I realized that that meant a 30+ minute drive to get to anything and the idea lost a lot of its appeal for me. Doesn't have to be urban, but rural is out.
Otherwise, I can handle heat/cold, humidity isn't fantastic but I can cope. Basically, give me photons and the ability to find nerds to play board games with and I'll be OK. Where would you recommend I look?

(and if this is the wrong place to ask, sorry! Where ought I to go instead?)

If you like Outdoorsy stuff, consider Cortez CO or Farmington NM. Farmington is bigger (50k) and cheaper ($200k for a nice house in a good neighborhood) but kind of trashier. Both are purplish but close to Durango which is pretty blue and a fun town. There's also all the hiking you could want, world class mountain biking, 90 minutes to Purgatory if you ski or snowboard, 3 hours to Moab.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

If you like Outdoorsy stuff, consider Cortez CO or Farmington NM. Farmington is bigger (50k) and cheaper ($200k for a nice house in a good neighborhood) but kind of trashier. Both are purplish but close to Durango which is pretty blue and a fun town. There's also all the hiking you could want, world class mountain biking, 90 minutes to Purgatory if you ski or snowboard, 3 hours to Moab.

Durango is an hour from Cortez so depending on what " I realized that that meant a 30+ minute drive to get to anything" means this may be a no-go.

I'm sorry TooMuchAbstraction, but you're looking for the same thing that a LOT of people are looking for so the prices are gonna be high.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Ounce is a measure of dry weight, fluid ounce is a measure of fluid volume. Water is the only thing were you'll get the same number in oz and fl oz

But it's a scale. It only does weight, not volume. Do the volume measurement is a conversion from weight, which requires you to know the relative mass (what's the right term here?) of whatever you're measuring. And since there is no input for that, or ability to choose oil/water/flour or something, one must assume it's water, which is stupid because it's a 1:1b conversion.

My weight has the same thing. It's dumb. Just do grammes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BonHair posted:

relative mass (what's the right term here?)

Density is the absolute measure of mass per volume

Specific gravity is in terms of multiples of the density of water, which is 1 in oz/floz and g/mL, so the number often ends up the same, but SG is unitless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Earwicker posted:

yes you can go to the post office website and press the big "hold mail" button

https://www.usps.com/manage/hold-mail.htm

Well I'll be damned. Thanks! Tanks.