Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I felt a whoosh of 1991 just reading that word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not exactly direct adv.txt content, but I browse adv with adblocker off as I do with the blowtakkks forums here, and I keep seeing ads for this surreal poo poo.

http://cotosen.com

That literally looks like a Call of Duty character cosmetics upgrade screen lmao

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The slur is usually spelled differently, but regardless using it as a joke is pretty dumb.

Midwesterners, have you ever heard of a pair of wire cutters referred to as dikes? A few years back a coworker of mine asked me to hand him my dikes (had a pair of wirecutters in my hand) and I was confused AF

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah, short for “diagonal cutters”. I learned this in California though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

The slur is usually spelled differently, but regardless using it as a joke is pretty dumb.

Midwesterners, have you ever heard of a pair of wire cutters referred to as dikes? A few years back a coworker of mine asked me to hand him my dikes (had a pair of wirecutters in my hand) and I was confused AF

Not a midwesterner but I’ve heard that and sidecutters from my Minnesotan boss.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Heard it on the east coast a few years ago from a graybeard technician.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Yes, this is a big greybeard wiring janitor thing

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I only associate earthen structures to hold back seawater and extend land area in the Netherlands with the word "dike" spelled that way. The comforts of being European, I suppose.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
"I find Hamilton's helmet more offensive but who cares" in the Dakar thread after a discussion of a rider with a confederate flag on his helmet. I assume "Hamilton" means Lewis Hamilton who races with a BLM logo on his helmet.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
At least a race to the bottom is topical in a dakar thread.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

quote:

This is seriously immature, but I named my previous and present bike, Naomi and Jacintha, after hot girls from my past who wouldn't sleep with me -- because now I can ride them any time I feel like it.

quote:

Technically, I think it's rape to ride Naomi and Jacintha against their will

quote:

How long has it been since you've seen either lady? It might be a blessing in disguise that you didn't ride either into marriage. The more reunions I go to the more I think "whew, kind of dodged a bullet there." Just sayin. And not just on looks. :loco

quote:

Well...

Naomi was a girl in my class in grade 12. She was almost my height, 6ft, with curly long blonde ringlets, an impossibly fit and long physique, with skin of polished alabaster and a wit like a 20-ft bullwhip. But she was also an artsy hippy girl prone to demonstrating her voluminous boobs' remarkable anti-gravitational facility for no apparent reason -- other than that they were mind-blowing, and why not share that amazing fact with the entire school? I could not argue, nor seemingly could anyone else. That was 1976. Never heard nor saw a wisp of the woman after graduation that year. I'm guessing she would not entirely resemble the above description in 2021. Alas, I have no photos from either time.

And...

Since our intercourse was entirely of the conversational variety, this would not count as kissing and telling, as there was only an air-kiss farewell between us. Jacintha Ab (her full surname is six syllables long, and why alert the Googlebots?) was and is an actress, comedian, singer, dancer and all-round celebrity in Singapore. I lived there in the '90s for the better part of that decade, as did my sister, who worked for the Television Corp of Singapore as a screenwriter. This was how I was able to meet the lovely, vibrant, funny and goofball-on-demand Jacintha, and even have her over to my house for dinner one night, whence I cooked her my finest meal -- Thai-talian Stew-fry. I had by then fallen utterly in love with her, just from seeing her play the fool on TV, convinced that anyone that funny was my perfect soulmate. All went well at first, but I may have added one or two too many cili padi (tiny fiery hot peppers) to my signature dish, hoping it would convince her that this smiley Caucasian from Toronto was sufficiently localized to warrant marrying, or at least warm his bed for an evening. I was gravely mistaken. She politely excused herself and taxi'd home before 11pm that night. I never saw her in person again, though she haunted my dreams via my living room TV set for years afterward.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 8, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:mods:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I went into the thread titled "Who Names Their Bikes" looking for content, I don't know what I expected.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That first quote will be cited in a court case for sure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

This is tantamount to naming a sex doll after real girls that wouldn't sleep with you. Dudes are the loving worst.

Midjack posted:

Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy

:nice:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

naming motorcycles after women in general is just gross.

i sometimes think of my bikes as if they're horses or dogs or other loyal animals. for instance i will pat the gas tank after successfully dodging out of the way of a car doing something stupid, or say "good bike" as it's ticking and cooling after riding home safely in blinding rain. so i guess if i had to name my motorcycles, they would be animal names like "muffin" or "general sherman" or "rex."

but it's a not a goddamned human woman

(custom title aside)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The thread also contains a predictable number of names with "bitch" in them and GSes named Helga.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wonder how they would feel if you posted in the thread that you are naming your bikes after advrider members?

Sagebrush posted:

i sometimes think of my bikes as if they're horses or dogs or other loyal animals. for instance i will pat the gas tank after successfully dodging out of the way of a car doing something stupid, or say "good bike" as it's ticking and cooling after riding home safely in blinding rain. so i guess if i had to name my motorcycles, they would be animal names like "muffin" or "general sherman" or "rex."

It's ok I do this too. It's like a primal reflex, even though I hate thinking of a machine as an animal and never name them.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 8, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone please post this there

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've reported a post there and here was the admin's reply:

quote:

Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Who Names Their Bike(s)?' - No site rule violation, use the Ignore function

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I wonder how they would feel if you posted in the thread that you are naming your bikes after advrider members?

It's ok I do this too. It's like a primal reflex, even though I hate thinking of a machine as an animal and never name them.

I think of them as a friendly non-sentient robot animal if they're a 'go slowly with character' bike, and more like a melee weapon imbued with evil power if it's something fast cause then it's just a tool for killing corners.

My bike is big and heavy and drinks a lot and from Australia originally so I guess it's name is Bruce?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Like moths to a flame.

quote:

Referring to objects and vehicles as a “she” promotes the ideology that women are objects, things to be seen as property owned by men.

quote:

I'm sorry that's your view of women.

I refer to my vehicles as "she" because they have personality and unpredictability. They can have either charm or obstinance (or both at the same time) on any given day, depending on who knows what. Because my life would be much less full and enjoyable without her.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Like moths to a flame.

I'm sorry that's your view of women, now let me tell you my considerably worse view of women without a trace of self awareness.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

By demeaning them we honor them, you see

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s insane to me that you could launch a huge forum fracturing troll campaign in ADVRIDER simply by being a decent person.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There’s a few posters who used to show up in threads and very patiently and politely argue the decent side of arguments. No ad hom attacks, just well written refutations of lovely ideas or generally poor arguments. They all disappear for a while, I think because there is just an inexhaustible supply of idiot masculine meatheads that like arguing even more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s insane to me that you could launch a huge forum fracturing troll campaign in ADVRIDER simply by being a decent person.

It's happened on SA.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There’s a few posters who used to show up in threads and very patiently and politely argue the decent side of arguments. No ad hom attacks, just well written refutations of lovely ideas or generally poor arguments. They all disappear for a while, I think because there is just an inexhaustible supply of idiot masculine meatheads that like arguing even more.

Buy them a forums account so they don't quietly go mad thinking they're the only sane person in an insane world.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve definitely messaged a handful of them thanking them for good posts and having the patience to engage with something more than “lol gently caress off” or mocking the real shitlords, which is all I do any more.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've been listening to an audiobook of enlightenment-era feminist work, and the quotes referenced in contemporary non-feminist work are an amazingly familiar paraphrase of the exchange above which can be summarized as "Women are human beings!" "I'm sorry that's your view on women,"

ADVRider: Online discussions for pre-revolutionary topics

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Literally just calm hitler but for raging mysoginy.

I will now toot my own horn and say that I argued about this very thing in this very forum several years ago and people told me to stfu and stop being so precious. Culture really does change and you really can make it happen with constant applied pressure, you just have to accept it taking ages and having no friends in the meantime.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 9, 2021

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Was this before or after the great c-word debate?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Years and years earlier to that. Not wasting ten bucks to change my av though.

E: vvv thanks! I didn't buy it in the first place fwiw but I'll gently caress off and do that vvv

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 10, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Years and years earlier to that. Not wasting ten bucks to change my av though.

It’s only five to do your own, and if you just want it blanked out a mod can do that on request. If you just want the word gone ask nicely and they’ll probably edit it out of your current av, though they’ll have to ask an admin to put that through it’s often granted gratis.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This week's intallment in old white men on the internet hating women:

Honest question: Why do people sell almost brand new heavily modified bikes?

quote:

...Or you marry the wrong girl and she says the bike has to go. Seen that too many times.

quote:

Just like an ex G/F...you doll her up and wish someone takes her.

quote:

I don't know...

I think it's more like dating a younger woman, fixing her teeth, getting her nose done, a boob job, and then realizing that you just can't keep up with a young woman anymore.

quote:

Guy buys a bike.

Throws the Touratech catalog at it.

Hides receipts.

Wife finds receipts.

Bike is for sale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WIMEN AM I RIGHT GUYS?!?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

In a thread about how AOC triggers conservative white men (it's actually pretty good, the owns are a little feeble, but they're there):

quote:

Hey Fred, I notice you're a little vague about your location, but I'll be I know where you live. I bet live in a place where there are no black people. In fact, I'll bet you couldn't range a black person with an artillery shell from your front yard. "How does he know this?!," you're wondering. It's simple. All of the most enthusiastic anti-racists here in CSM have miraculously, accidentally, completely-not-on-purpose found themselves living in de facto whites-only communities. Marin County, Scottsdale, New Hampshire. But maybe you're the exception. Prove me wrong. Post up your zip code and let's check it out.

:stare: that word choice

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

His argument is that living with non-whites makes you racist?

I feel like there is a lot of evidence to the contrary, but ok go off

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

His argument is that living with non-whites makes you racist?

I feel like there is a lot of evidence to the contrary, but ok go off

Yes, that is his argument precisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yes, that is his argument precisely.

That argument is a giant loving mess that I don't even want to try and unpack in a motorcycle forum, but he's mixing classism, racism, and probably a couple of other -isms into his lovely little worldview where he measures distance by whether or not something is in range of a howitzer. Home of the brave, baby.