Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Up until recently, I'd been working with the same vendors over and over again, at least for the most part. This year we've been looking to do some new stuff and it seems like every vendor I talk to wants to cozy up and get to know all of us before they'll just quote me a price. I'm not talking about getting details for the use case, that's fine and sane. I'm angry at the guys who come back with, "Before I quote this, can you tell me what your budget is? Who are the key decision makers on this project? Can I meet with them first? Who's driving this initiative." My guy, I asked you for a quote. As far as you know, I am the decision maker. I am the alpha and the omega. You don't need to know my budget. You can assume that if you don't give me the best discount you've ever given, I'm going to block your email and phone. Now go get me a price before I tell my boss that we can't do business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope you sent them that answer, that's a fantastic answer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

With Edge's fancy O365 Plug-ins and whatever management that comes with it there's literally no reason to deploy any other web browser.

Definitely. We'll be switching over to Edge as our primary browser here shortly. Microsoft finally got with the times and figured out that if you do SSO to the browser using Azure AD, you can do all sorts of fun stuff. Gone are the days of having to sync a user's Favorites folder from within Windows.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Up until recently, I'd been working with the same vendors over and over again, at least for the most part. This year we've been looking to do some new stuff and it seems like every vendor I talk to wants to cozy up and get to know all of us before they'll just quote me a price. I'm not talking about getting details for the use case, that's fine and sane. I'm angry at the guys who come back with, "Before I quote this, can you tell me what your budget is? Who are the key decision makers on this project? Can I meet with them first? Who's driving this initiative." My guy, I asked you for a quote. As far as you know, I am the decision maker. I am the alpha and the omega. You don't need to know my budget. You can assume that if you don't give me the best discount you've ever given, I'm going to block your email and phone. Now go get me a price before I tell my boss that we can't do business.

Just to play devils advocate here for a minute

1 - Sales dudes have incredible pressure from their management on any sort of deals they put in the system. One guy I worked with said he had a VP breathing down his neck to get a low 6 figure deal booked by end of quarter. Figuring out timeline, customer budget, who the decision makers are, etc can help set expectations on both sides of this.

2 - Sales dudes hate wasting their time. They probably get 80% looky loo sys admins with zero influence, purchasing power, decision making, etc reaching out for "quotes". Why should he waste his time dealing with you? Budget information can be important... I once reached out about a solution and mentioned my budget, they kindly let me know I wasn't even in the same ballpark and their solutions started at 7 figures with pro services. I went on my merry way to look at less expensive options.

Look salespeople suck, I don't like dealing with them either, but you have to understand their side of things as well

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea sorry but every meeting I go into where a salesperson hasn’t gotten this info turns into bullshit. If you don’t own the budget you’re not the intended target, and if you wasted my time in a meeting I hope you stub your toe real bad in the near future.

For software quotes and poo poo, I dunno. Probably a bit different.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Just to play devils advocate here for a minute

1 - Sales dudes have incredible pressure from their management on any sort of deals they put in the system. One guy I worked with said he had a VP breathing down his neck to get a low 6 figure deal booked by end of quarter. Figuring out timeline, customer budget, who the decision makers are, etc can help set expectations on both sides of this.

2 - Sales dudes hate wasting their time. They probably get 80% looky loo sys admins with zero influence, purchasing power, decision making, etc reaching out for "quotes". Why should he waste his time dealing with you? Budget information can be important... I once reached out about a solution and mentioned my budget, they kindly let me know I wasn't even in the same ballpark and their solutions started at 7 figures with pro services. I went on my merry way to look at less expensive options.

Look salespeople suck, I don't like dealing with them either, but you have to understand their side of things as well

1 - This isn't my problem.

2 - If you are going to sell something, it's kinda on you to say how much you're selling it for.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Internet Explorer posted:

2 - If you are going to sell something, it's kinda on you to say how much you're selling it for.

A good salesperson will never, ever shoot first. Ever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have literally never given my budget to someone before buying something. Never.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

1 - This isn't my problem.

Yea, I have to say if I reach out and say "Hey can I get a quote on product x" I get irrationally annoyed when a sales dude asks me to set up a meeting.

Like bruh, the fact that I even asked you for a quote means you don't have to sell me on anything, and my message wrote explicitly "Hey I would like a quote on stupid widget x". Not "I'm considering stupid widget x, could you tell me more?". It's not their fault, I believe they're all basically forced to do it, but it's one of those things that annoys me to no end and out of spite I either consciously or unconsciously will, all things being equal, recommend products that answer "quote?" with a number instead of a meeting.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

A good salesperson will never, ever shoot first. Ever.

This, and IT hardware/software pricing is all over the loving map. You buy enough and I've seen it go down to 75% off list price in certain situations (loving storage vendors).

I mean yeah, if you're buying some ManageEngine software the pricing is on the website. You can get a good idea of list price from looking for a GSA price, or off CDW, but pricing can be all over the place. I've worked end of quarter deals with vendors, had them pony up major incentives to displace a competitor. It's not like buying a car from CarMax.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Every time I'm told the cloud is too expensive and I'm shown the sticker pricing I burst out laughing.

No one pays list price.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And none of that requires you to "name your budget."

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've got no interest in wasting anyone's time, and if a sales person wants to say, "even my best price is going to have six figures and the first won't be lower than 5," I'll take that and find out if things can advance or if that's the end of it. But if I volunteer that we're looking to spend under 700k, I rather expect the quote will be awfully close to that figure.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

With Edge's fancy O365 Plug-ins and whatever management that comes with it there's literally no reason to deploy any other web browser.

I'm probably too stuck in big enterprise, where MS bent over backwards to make Edge work with all the intranet/enterprise apps that had 'requires internet explorer' hard coded into them. Chromium Edge never got the same treatment, and packaging the removal of 'old edge' into a security update is going to catch a lot of people out.

Home users won't even notice.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

And none of that requires you to "name your budget."

Also is my company the weird one, but generally our budget for individual projects is generally "TBD". We'll usually come up with three COA's after we do research a "Cheap DIY solution", a "Medium priced solution", and a "CALL THE CONTRACTOR GET THAT poo poo DONE NOW SOLUTION". We don't really get told "hey you have x amount of money to do this project, go spend it". So if I where to be asked "what is your budget" I could reasonably say "I dunno, how expensive can you make it." and it might be right.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

I'm probably too stuck in big enterprise, where MS bent over backwards to make Edge work with all the intranet/enterprise apps that had 'requires internet explorer' hard coded into them. Chromium Edge never got the same treatment, and packaging the removal of 'old edge' into a security update is going to catch a lot of people out.

Home users won't even notice.

Does nuEdge's "IE mode" not work in these scenarios?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/enterprise/manual-how-to-set-up-ie-mode-internet-explorer-integration-in/m-p/774900

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Edge "IE Mode" is at least 25% of why Edge is awesome. The rest is stuff like favorites and password synchronization to the users Office 365 Profile. And lastly, performance.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/rfp-template

Use this or something similar when talking to sales guys.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Our next hardware refresh is going to have only edge chromium, no chrome or Firefox. Once we validate it we will push intune and sccm to mass delete any other browser on older machines.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I think I've come to the realisation that my boss is keeping me where I am on purpose. I know we have had these sorts of stories on the forum before, so I think I will just share where I'm at.

I went for a sort of promotion/sort of sideways move into an IT PM role last year and everyone in my team was like how did you not get that job. My old man even pointed out the hiring manager would likely have a conversation with my boss and if he said yeah AA is great, then it would usually happen... I kinda naively went 'nah we are not supposed to do that sort of thing' but the 2 guys sit opposite each other so of course they would talk and I was just being dumb/in denial probably.

Also, one of my counterparts at another site was well known as having issues with the boss - there was one point where the old CIO wanted every minute of every day logged to a ticket. Most of us sort of knew our boss would settle for something that looked sensible but this guy took exception to it and started logging tickets along the lines of 'I made a drink and changed the paper towel whilst I was there = 10 mins' and they really fell out over it. The result of that was they found a promotion for him

I posted in business and career thread the other day and said my 'on site boss' (non-IT) heard I was going for the job I mentioned at the start of this post and thought I was leaving - I said no, I've just taken this role as far as I think I can so I'm looking to progress in the company within 6-12 months - pandemic permitting. She then said how do you fancy becoming one of my Ops managers (totally non IT job) and at first I was like 'lol wut' but thinking about it I'm kinda up for it.

I mentioned it to my boss last week and said 'oh had this strange conversation, kinda interested, might explore it' and my boss was like 'oh yeah she mentioned that I thought I told you, be a shame to lose you but just to be clear you expressed an interest in PM roles, not operations management' (1. he never told me about this. 2 what a weird response!)

I then had my monthly 1 to 1 with my boss yesterday after saying I was interested in this opportunity and he just did not ask me about it at all.

I said to my Dad on the phone I could play the game here and show interest in this ops manager thing to see if someone comes along and says 'we want to keep you in IT what about this' but actually, I'm quite happy genuinely pursuing the ops path and perhaps the best move here is to join the team where the boss is saying 'you seem to be leaving and I'd really rather not only keep you but promote you' - if IT come in and offer something, my mind is probably saying too little too late now.

The Ops Manager path isn't certain, the deal at the moment is I have to write out my own training plan, I suspect this is a test to establish my thinking is right and then I am waiting to see if I can apply to something when a management shuffle happens later in the year (late summer/fall)

But I think that's my way forward now - should it fall down or things change, then it'll be time to change company.

Strange moment of clarity but thought I'd share.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

skipdogg posted:

You could avoid all this just by saying something like, "Our solutions start at $1 million" somewhere on your website. It drives me up the wall when a product I'm interested in has literally zero pricing information listed when that is the number two question anyone will ask about your product after "What does this do?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

$oldJob had a really strict budget cycle, where we were supposed to come up with the budgets for any projects we wanted to get done in august of the year before, and all departmental budgets were approved by the cfo.

Some vendors just were not capable of understanding this no matter how often we explained it to them and we’ve had to drop vendors because they wouldn’t give us numbers for the budget process.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

loving Citrix guy was emailing me every other day and leaving me VM's on the days he didn't call. For like 3 weeks.

I am a lowly admin I don't get to decide on $$$$ citrix contracts

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've answered those calls with "we went with this other vendor and signed a 5 years contract".

I do miss all the free swag Nutanix would send me though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The power play is always display their competitors swag when you're in a zoom meeting with them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

The power play is always display their competitors swag when you're in a zoom meeting with them.

Take a big ol swig

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bob Morales posted:

Take a big ol swig

Citrix is the Microsoft Teams of desktop/application virtualization. Garbage tier.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think you mean WebEx Teams

Microsoft Teams is actually good, hth

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Citrix works great, but it's complicated and most people don't set it up right. I'd say Microsoft has pretty much caught up to them and Citrix doesn't have a huge value add, but I will never not love Citrix Provisioning Services, ignored product that it is. It's basically magic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Citrix works great, but it's complicated and most people don't set it up right.

Agreed. I worked with a fantastic Citrix admin at my last job. Citrix ran really well, but he knew what he was doing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Citrix is the Microsoft Teams of desktop/application virtualization. Garbage tier.

Uh Teams is really good though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

reset the clock

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've never seen this before today, thought it was neat/useful.

Visual Map of the different MSFT 365 licensing plans

https://m365maps.com/

https://twitter.com/AaronDinnage/status/1358997768396656641

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I've never seen this before today, thought it was neat/useful.

Visual Map of the different MSFT 365 licensing plans

https://m365maps.com/

https://twitter.com/AaronDinnage/status/1358997768396656641

Umbrella blocks that url.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

Umbrella blocks that url.

It doesn't for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rude.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 9, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a new domain. I know when I had Umbrella, I blocked recently registered domains. May explain the difference.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

He has the info on his github as well

https://github.com/AaronDinnage/Licensing/

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

anyone know a good way to stop users from putting sharepoint shortcuts into their sharepoints? they keep doing this and then getting freaked when sharepoint tells them it can't sync the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You need to provide an alternative that accomplishes the same goal.

So maybe either some method of using bookmarks or .url files, or direct them to save the .lnk files outside of the synced folders