Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I only have cultural osmosis knowledge of Robotech, so when I looked it up, i got all confused with Macross, which i also have a kind of cultural osmosis based knowledge. Either way, i just started Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so I've got some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the parts of robotech that people remember are literally just macross. like the only function robotech has served for the past few decades was to make it impossible to get official overseas releases of the mecha anime it butchered and all later macross stuff. it really doesn't have much of an identity of its own

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've been following MAL recommendations and went through Sakura Quest, ReLIFE and Net-juu no Susume over the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed them all and want to check out similar shows with main characters that are working and/or adults, preferably if they're awkward, adorable and hilarious; Moriko Morioka constantly had me busting a gut from how much of a relatable mess she is. If there are important scenes that take place in a convenience store I will probably check it out, especially if it's a bootleg Lawson.

I've watched Wotakoi, Amaama to Inazuma, Hanasaku Iroha and After the Rain last year, which is what got me into the "genre".

I think you would really enjoy Aggretsuko.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Already seen all of what's been released and liked it, although I don't like how some things turned out in the latest season in an effort to return everything to the status quo. I can understand Retsuko having enough of the idol life after dealing with a stalker, but the whole Haida and Inui story rubbed me the wrong way with how it ended up. Retsuko already said no dude, move on.

Watched a couple episodes of Denki Gai and it wasn't my thing. I think I'm gonna check out Watamote next.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Coxswain Balls posted:

I think I'm gonna check out Watamote next.
Curious to see your take on tomoko, I've found depending on your own teen years people have wildly different takes on the character.

I wish they made more seasons of the anime to catch up with the manga because I want to all the post-anime characters animated, they're all great

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just two episodes in and so far I'm liking it. I'm certainly relating to it from how I used to be an even shittier person than I am now before I made a concerted effort to improve myself through various means and stop agonizing so much about what other people think of me. I can't wait to see how she deals with her own personality problems and how self-aware she gets. Wouldn't surprise me if the poor girl has some sort of anxiety disorder. If I end up enjoying the whole thing I'll definitely have to follow the manga if it follows her into adulthood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's currently them prepping to graduate and exploring colleges and such right now, I do hope it continues to follow her into college and such. and it absolutely does follow her into becoming a "normie". the fan translations may use a different, less acceptable term.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first 1/4 of watamote is anxious cringe comedy and then everything after the school field trip is a yuri harem. the ultimate life journey

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I see people describing it as cringey but I don't get that feeling. Maybe it's because I'm older but she's just a dumb teenager like most of us were and I'm finding it hilarious more than anything else. Her poor dad walking in on her passed out with her new acquisitions from the store made me bust a gut.

If she stayed lovely then I probably wouldn't like it, but from what you're all telling me she's going to develop and mature which is what I'm looking forward to.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tomoko doesn't ever like, stop being kinda weird, but the school trip arc of the manga sets her up with more recurring friend characters and the manga just continually builds around her relationships and interactions with them and through it she finds more of a sense of connection with others and sheds lots of her less healthy and more isolating behaviors without realizing it. it's a fairly well-written exploration of growth for, the kind of person who tomoko is, staying an awkward weirdo but one who actually finds warmth in her life and the people around her

coincidentally, watamote started getting tons of yuri fanworks after that

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Being a weirdo is fine and entertaining even, I'm more looking forward to seeing her realize how self-destructive her antisocial behaviour and thought patterns are and how she handles it. The setup has been pretty good so far, although I have a feeling I'm gonna be disappointed again with another good show being only 13 or so episodes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bear in mind that not only does the anime end before any of this but the anime has its own original ending that sucks a lot

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, it did that thing I'm seeing in a lot of shows lately where it just... ended. Nothing at all changed, she hasn't learned anything, and she's essentially the exact same person she was in the beginning which was kind of disappointing because as a character she's super interesting. It seemed like it was starting to go somewhere with her senior but it ended with a fanservice gag and roll credits.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
iirc that whole bit in the manga is a lot more low key. after that it's a handful more of those chapters and then the field trip starts and it really starts to pick up

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i like the watamote anime but yeah its very much a 'shrug, hope we get a season 2' ending when they could easily have written some sort of payoff that doesn't interfere with that. i don't know where the manga was at when it was made though

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tales of Woe posted:

i like the watamote anime but yeah its very much a 'shrug, hope we get a season 2' ending when they could easily have written some sort of payoff that doesn't interfere with that. i don't know where the manga was at when it was made though

We definitely weren't at the "Tomoko's upwardly sociable life with friends" part yet.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Still, thanks for the recommendation for the Watamote anime because it got me to pick up the manga and I love it. Just a couple volumes before I'm caught up but I don't want to finish it because I'll be sad that I have to wait for more. It's the first thing I've read since I picked up Kaguya-sama before we knew that a second season was coming out. It's a shame that another season of Watamote is unlikely with how long it's been, it does get really, really good later on.

Maybe I just like characters that suck, but they suck in a way that I relate to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, it's fantastic. still, it's not unheard of for a series to get a second season much later on, so hope springs eternal.

glad you enjoyed it, wasn't sure if it would be a particularly accurate recommendation but figured why not try putting it out there. as for tomoko, I've seen people hate her, like her, relate way too hard to her, all varieties of responses. she's a great character.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey anime thread, I just started reading manga again after about 10 years and I'm looking for some anime to watch as well.

I'm a big fan of classic shonen, especially Jump stuff but unless an anime is amazingly better than the manga, I'd prefer to read it. I've also just started getting into seinen manga and two that have really struck a chord with me are Goodnight, Pun Pun and Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji.

What I'm really looking for is anime that is:

- Adult in themes, dealing with realistic emotions (doesn't have to be depression anime, doesn't have to be set in modern Japan)

- On the shorter side, nothing longer than 26 episodes at most

- Good

Before anyone recommends it, I have seen LoGH.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cloks posted:

Hey anime thread, I just started reading manga again after about 10 years and I'm looking for some anime to watch as well.

I'm a big fan of classic shonen, especially Jump stuff but unless an anime is amazingly better than the manga, I'd prefer to read it. I've also just started getting into seinen manga and two that have really struck a chord with me are Goodnight, Pun Pun and Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji.

- Adult in themes, dealing with realistic emotions (doesn't have to be depression anime, doesn't have to be set in modern Japan)

- Good

Maybe try Mob Psycho 100? Both seasons are excellent, and a lot more mature and grounded than you might initially think by looking at it.

The currently airing Wonder Egg Priority has also been spectacular thus far, although it's still ongoing and the themes its dealing with are heavy enough to provide a very real risk that the writing/execution makes some sort of horrible mistake down the line that reduces the whole production to a smoking ruin. The trials of ongoing anime!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cloks posted:

- Good

Akudama Drive is a cyberpunk anime about a bunch of super-criminals. One of its main strengths is how it manages to humanize them, and you really feel a lot of their hopes/dreams/desires.

Shirobako is an anime about a bunch of people making anime. The characters are all quite well done, and it goes into a lot of their struggles when trying to work to make these projects succeed.

Garish/Girlish Number is the above, only everyone in the industry is an rear end in a top hat. It's beautiful, and probably way more realistic than anyone should be comfortable with.

Also you should read the Dorohedoro manga if you haven't already, since I think it might be up your alley.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cloks posted:

- Good

birdy the mighty decode is good. the first season is a bit slow and its main plot doesn't come together amazingly, but the second season is a solid sci-fi story about birdy's childhood and her attachments to others

ssss.gridman is an homage to tokusatsu super hero tv that's also a pretty good story about anxiety and isolation

akudama drive is a dystopian sci fi story about finding purpose in life and individuality under an oppressive system, it has a goofy sense of humor but the back half is a lot heavier

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Cloks posted:

- Good

If you haven't seen Tatami Galaxy or Planetes I would recommend those

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cloks posted:

- Good

Oh, I'd throw Vinland Saga in there too if you're okay with an adaptation of an ongoing manga that doesn't hit an amazing stopping point.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Great, thanks for all the recs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For manga, have you tried March Comes In Like a Lion? It's an extremely good series that balances the lightheartedness and seriousness very well. The character growth throughout it is exceptional.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cloks posted:

- Good

pick any given entry in Masaaki Yuasa or Satoshi Kon's careers

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cloks posted:

- Good

Golden Kamuy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

doomrider7 posted:

Golden Kamuy

I've been picking up the manga but I might watch this eventually.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cloks posted:

- Good

Depending on how you like sports series, Run With The Wind. It's about a group of college students who get roped into participating in Japan's biggest relay marathon and while it does do the whole sports tropes on passion for the sport, teamwork etc, I feel like the university perspective helps change things up. It also goes into non-sports related side stories like job-hunting while in uni, African foreign exchange students and how they might feel typecast as just being there for the sports team, etc. It's also a complete adaptation of a novel (not light novel), so it's got a solid conclusion.

Also has a very good dog.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Parasyte.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

doomrider7 posted:

Golden Kamuy

Checking out this and I like the first ep alot. The girl has great style, and I'm here for it. Thanks for the rec!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yo, I've been super out of the anime game. What's good these last six years?

Things I like:
- Madoka
- Ergo Proxy
- Lagann
- Big O
- Eva / Utena / Galactica Heroes
- Samurai Flamenco
- His And Her Circumstances

Things other people like but I'm eh on:
- Mob Psycho
- Parasyte

The last thing I watched and liked was the first episode of Made In Abyss and most of the new Boogiepop.

Hate:
- moe

Also what Crunchyroll originals are good? If any?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cloks posted:

- Good

Ping Pong: The Animation

Open Source Idiom posted:

Things I like:
- Madoka
- Ergo Proxy
- Lagann
- Big O
- Eva / Utena / Galactica Heroes
- Samurai Flamenco
- His And Her Circumstances

Things other people like but I'm eh on:
- Mob Psycho
- Parasyte

The last thing I watched and liked was the first episode of Made In Abyss and most of the new Boogiepop.

Hate:
- moe

Also what Crunchyroll originals are good? If any?

Eizouken was the best show of last year so that's something worth checking out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Draxion posted:

If you haven't seen Tatami Galaxy or Planetes I would recommend those

Seconding these and Ping Pong

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Cloks posted:

- Good

Open Source Idiom posted:

Things I like:
- Madoka
-Utena

answers for both of these are anything yuasa, anything kon, and bokurano (more for the second person but still valid for first too)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
So I finally started Nichijou after hearing a decade of praise, and I really don't get it. Like, I watched the first two episodes and didn't laugh a single time, is that common?

I enjoyed Azumanga Daioh a lot, so I thought I'd like it... granted, that was almost 20 years ago, so maybe that style of comedy just didn't age well for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i enjoyed the front half of nichijou for just being a well animated and generally relaxing show and found the jokes in the back half landing more because i'd been endeared to the characters. i pretty much had the same experience with azumanga daioh watching it recently except with nichijou i didn't have to be constantly put off by jokes about a middle aged teacher creeping on a teenage girl who has a gay crush

tbh for that kind of show i like lucky star more because its best characters are a bit stronger than nichijou's, but nichijou has a lot more visual spectacle

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 11, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
This is completely subjective, but I think Azumsnga Daioh works better in the original 4-koma manga style than in the anime. The pacing of the anime dragged for me in a lot of parts, whereas the manga goes by pretty happily.

And while I like Nichijou a whole lot for t6ge visual comedy, I can understand a lot of the jokes, especially early on, bring hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Julias posted:

This is completely subjective, but I think Azumsnga Daioh works better in the original 4-koma manga style than in the anime. The pacing of the anime dragged for me in a lot of parts, whereas the manga goes by pretty happily.

It kind of follows the same pacing beats as the manga. The 4-kome there was stilted and weird, and then the second half has just alot of straight-up regular manga chapters the move better and at a different pace.

Also, the first half of the anime I think had an entirely different director who was removed because everyone was unhappy with what he was doing.