Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

That is a tyre monkey dent.

I had a dent just like that from a pothole on a highway. Air was slowly leaking out. Like 10 psi every few days. I rode it like that for a month before the new wheel got here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Was this sold by a dealership??? Selling a bike with damaged controls and, worst, practically broken wheel as "road worthy" can get you in jail in Germany.

E: not to discourage you. It looks like quite easy fixes are required. But this type of fix should not be done in the aftermath of a dealer purchase.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 7, 2021

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I wouldn't have bought a bike with a bent wheel, but I don't think I would've thought to check either.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Lol if you think theres consumer protection laws in America.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Lol if you think theres consumer protection laws in America.

This

Also you get a dent like that from hopping a curb at a pretty drat high speed or getting rear ended by a car lightly.

I can’t picture how that’s from someone changing a tire.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This

Also you get a dent like that from hopping a curb at a pretty drat high speed or getting rear ended by a car lightly.

Pothole could do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That too

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I'm gonna hazard a guess one of the PO's hit a large pothole at low speed and had a low-speed drop. That would explain the rear wheel and some scuffing on the right-hand side with bent brake lever and missing passenger pegs, along with a different muffler which probably took the majority of the damage. Should still be mechanically fine since its a HONDA.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I'm gonna hazard a guess one of the PO's hit a large pothole at low speed and had a low-speed drop. That would explain the rear wheel and some scuffing on the right-hand side with bent brake lever and missing passenger pegs, along with a different muffler which probably took the majority of the damage. Should still be mechanically fine since its a HONDA.
It's all very non essential and minor damage all around. Don't worry about your bike, OP. Now get some proper boots that won't break your ankle and ride into the sunset.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

Was this sold by a dealership??? Selling a bike with damaged controls and, worst, practically broken wheel as "road worthy" can get you in jail in Germany.

E: not to discourage you. It looks like quite easy fixes are required. But this type of fix should not be done in the aftermath of a dealer purchase.

There are loads of consumer protections here yet that is a totally typical dealership bike that would not be out of place at all, except it would cost about $4500. Dealers are absolute scum, that's all there is to it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This

Super common on cheap bikes, the rims are quite soft. It happens if you're doing it with levers, get too impatient and try to bite off a really big chunk. I've done it personally a couple of times, seen it happen heaps.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I think Slavvy is on the right track. There is no scuffing or paint chipping near the dent, and it's bent outward, so it looks like it was due to leverage. I'm going to take it to a shop this week and get an estimate. There's no air leak as far as I can tell, so it seems limited to the lip.

I was able to take it out today after the snow this morning thawed. I took it to a parking lot and did some turning drills. It's surprisingly hard to get used to the turn signals, especially remembering to manually turn them off. The muffler is annoyingly loud, but tolerable. Replacing it is a lower priority right now. The wheel, brake lever, and sliders rank higher.

And steak, I did order some purpose-made boots. I'm wearing over-ankle hiking boots right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is that the sort of thing one could fix with a chunk of 4x4 and a deadblow hammer and some caution? Or is that how you put a stress fracture in a cast wheel?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I know there are lots of places that can fix car wheel dents, I wonder if they could handle a motorcycle wheel as well?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is that the sort of thing one could fix with a chunk of 4x4 and a deadblow hammer and some caution? Or is that how you put a stress fracture in a cast wheel?

Yeah, actually. Best to heat it up first and do short throw taps in a radius. Then rebalance

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nitrox posted:

Yeah, actually. Best to heat it up first and do short throw taps in a radius. Then rebalance

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Good to know.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Stop loving around with the most safety critical components of your bikes.

The wheel is damaged and needs replacement. Bending it back will not unfuck the metal, it will only further reduce the amount of available deformation before a fracture forms. No one knows the metallurgy of that wheel, no one knows what amount of plastic deformation the material can take and it's honestly not worth the risk.

Quick Google search lists "Wheel Sub Mat Axis Grey Metallic" 42650-KYJ-305ZC at $210.95 new from Honda. That's not a lot of money for a good consciousness when riding that bike at elevated speeds.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 8, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Turn the old rim into a coffee table.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FBS posted:

I know there are lots of places that can fix car wheel dents, I wonder if they could handle a motorcycle wheel as well?

They do, but the cost of the service and shipping is usually over the price of a new wheel. Rear wheels are usually very cheap on the used market because they don't get bent very often. I'd replace it, it's not likely to throw the wheel out of balance but there's a good chance you will get a slow leak over time ~or~ that will become the path of least resistance for air to get out if you hit a pothole.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
please talk me out of uralism

thank u

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Greg12 posted:

thank u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v_S8i4KSfM

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Where’s the video of the guy angrily crushing his ural?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

that's not siberia; that's satsop!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Greg12 posted:

thank u

I worked on one once and I liked it.

Then I rode it and hated it, but hated it much less than every other three wheeler because it didn't give the impression that it would be ten times more fun without the sidecar.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQNecDIHSc

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Did that guy say he got a ural for an adventure bike?! And LMAO at putting the bike in there filled with highly flammable fluids and being shocked when it catches fire on crushing.

Slavvy posted:

Then I rode it and hated it, but hated it much less than every other three wheeler because it didn't give the impression that it would be ten times more fun without the sidecar.

The best sidecar motorcycle is a miata.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Did that guy say he got a ural for an adventure bike?! And LMAO at putting the bike in there filled with highly flammable fluids and being shocked when it catches fire on crushing.

That's not fair, there was also the guy I saw once who had a monster with a wheelchair clamp thing on the side car, with the sidecar having the handlebar and controls and everything just being linkaged over to the bike so the 'rider' was actually the passenger and vice versa. That was pretty cool and definitely deserved to exist, I think he got more out of it than he would from an mx5 with a desmodue.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Coydog posted:

Did that guy say he got a ural for an adventure bike?!

You can carry a lot more camp furniture in a sidecar, and your ex-wife isn't around anymore to tell you it takes up too much room in the garage.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Urals make the perfect ADV bike actually. Since it'll be at the dealer all the time, all your camping gear and equipment will easily fit in your truck or SUV.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

That's not fair, there was also the guy I saw once who had a monster with a wheelchair clamp thing on the side car, with the sidecar having the handlebar and controls and everything just being linkaged over to the bike so the 'rider' was actually the passenger and vice versa. That was pretty cool and definitely deserved to exist, I think he got more out of it than he would from an mx5 with a desmodue.

That's not fair, those who are differently abled are above reproach for how they enjoy their hobbies. I don't know what it says about me, though, that I'd never have a sidecar but would totally rock a CanAM. :shrug:

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Urals make the perfect ADV bike actually. Since it'll be at the dealer all the time, all your camping gear and equipment will easily fit in your truck or SUV.

:drat: it really is the russian enfield

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Coydog posted:

I am ashamed to admit that I completely agree on the Miata. I bought one last year and it really does 80-90% of what I want out of my motorcycle, and it's arguably the "worst" miata, an NC automatic. I still plan on getting something a bit rowdier than what I have now to scratch the other 10 to 20% itch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

That's not fair, those who are differently abled are above reproach for how they enjoy their hobbies. I don't know what it says about me, though, that I'd never have a sidecar but would totally rock a CanAM. :shrug:

It says that you're completely irredeemable and should probably commit seppuku for bringing shame upon your forum. At least a sidecar comes with the theoretical possibility of becoming a bike again, but on can ams the misery is integral to the machine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I worked on one once and I liked it.
I've worked on several many times and not liked any of them. They approach Chinese scooter levels of build quality. And at least Chinese scooters are all copies of decent Japanese engines. Urals are STILL a copy of a pre-WW2 BMW with a couple minor updates. To be fair that BMW was decent for its time I guess. For 1937.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've worked on several many times and not liked any of them. They approach Chinese scooter levels of build quality. And at least Chinese scooters are all copies of decent Japanese engines. Urals are STILL a copy of a pre-WW2 BMW with a couple minor updates. To be fair that BMW was decent for its time I guess. For 1937.

This is exaclty how I see it, but in a positive way. Like yeah it's a garbage bike in 2020, but it's not a bike from 2020, or 2000, or 1980. It's a bike from 1937 and by those standards it is a fantastic machine in every respect. Royal enfield is the same - absolutely incredible bikes for 1960, that you can buy brand new, for gently caress all!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol my buddy just bought a 1940s Enfield engine in a crate and a 1970s KZ 350 frame and has plans to make them work together. He’s actually a really good builder so I’m expecting something moderately better than a modern Enfield except with points, manual timing advance, and whatever gas lantern mechanism they called a carb at the time.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Gotta take every pot hole on purpose to aid the carburetor.

Or as we say in German "Schlaglöcher unterstützen bei der Gemischbildung"

That's actually a quote from an Oldtimer Service Manual about brush carburetors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am Carburetor Superfan #1 but even I draw the line at carburetors with a loving wick for a main jet

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Combat Theory posted:

Stop loving around with the most safety critical components of your bikes.

I appreciate your concern. I assure you I'm taking this seriously.

Actually, I got some good news from the dealership - I called the salesman to explain the situation and sent him photos of the wheel (I also played the "It's my first bike :(" card). They are ordering an OEM wheel and will do the replacement at no cost. It'll take a few weeks though since shipping is backed up. I'm going to stick to doing figure-8s in a parking lot in the meantime.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am Carburetor Superfan #1 but even I draw the line at carburetors with a loving wick for a main jet

gently caress that, I can barely look at an amal, let alone something with a remote bowl, let alone a loving wick carb.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

T Zero posted:

I appreciate your concern. I assure you I'm taking this seriously.

Actually, I got some good news from the dealership - I called the salesman to explain the situation and sent him photos of the wheel (I also played the "It's my first bike :(" card). They are ordering an OEM wheel and will do the replacement at no cost. It'll take a few weeks though since shipping is backed up. I'm going to stick to doing figure-8s in a parking lot in the meantime.

What a total success story! I mean this is exactly what the dealer should do, but most would play the "you did that after you left the lot" card because they are scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Coydog posted:

What a total success story! I mean this is exactly what the dealer should do, but most would play the "you did that after you left the lot" card because they are scum.

No poo poo, I'm really surprised they did that for you.