Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ReidRansom posted:

I hit six feet tall in grade 7 or 8. Gives you a hall pass on some of that stuff.
:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Tony Phillips posted:

A totally real quote from that idiot bartender. PS - please bootstrap your way to a better life.

It's crazy how easily you can tell the person who made this is at least 40. Cringe humor, low quality image, needless animosity toward a young female leftist, etc.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I heard she also designed a submarine with a screen door

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Data Graham posted:

I'm confused, is the capitol coup good or bad? I can't keep it straight anymore

last I saw it was bad but also indicative that conservatives cant protest without consequences, unlike liberals

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tony Phillips posted:

I honestly have no idea if he thinks this is a real screen shot. Pretty sure my mom would know the font is way off and she'd probably even catch the typos.

That last one though was a share of a page from a site I'd never heard of before. Some low rent weird fake right wing facebook?
https://idobbinate.com/

I saw last night Snopes having to debunk an "Antifa Membership Card" featuring Eisenhower. These people can't conceive of abstract things like ideology or philosophy, to them everything has to be akin to a company with people in charge directing underlings to do their bidding (i.e. how they like their party to work).

To them Antifa is basically Spectre; there can't just exist a very large demographic loosely tied together by the idea that authoritarian white supremacists are bad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hawowanlawow posted:

I heard she also designed a submarine with a screen door

The Russians just used a porthole

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

how many female leftists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? and do you think they would look really embarrassed about it? just having a laugh haha lol

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

haha what do you think the lightbulb smells like? you know, haha for laughs?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I saw last night Snopes having to debunk an "Antifa Membership Card" featuring Eisenhower. These people can't conceive of abstract things like ideology or philosophy, to them everything has to be akin to a company with people in charge directing underlings to do their bidding (i.e. how they like their party to work).

To them Antifa is basically Spectre; there can't just exist a very large demographic loosely tied together by the idea that authoritarian white supremacists are bad.

Do you remember about a million years ago last October when a security guard in Denver shot a right-wing agitator who was threatening a news crew? He had a tattoo for a local underground music scene which used a 👾as their logo, AND some Austrian anti-fascist org used the same symbol on flyers and stickers a few years ago saying "space invaders against racism". Those two data points--and literally only those two, no more--were enough to convince the right that there was a broad international adoption of this shared leftist symbology.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

china bot posted:

my girlfriend wears Doc Martens while listening to the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack, where do I buy sepia laces

Wrong boots. What she needs are Red Wings.

Which are honestly a much more appropriate boot anyway. Docs became a skin/punk thing because they were working class work boots long before they became any sort of fashion statement. And they were made in the UK. Americans picked up on the brand and look while ignoring the original working class sensibility that inspired it. And now most Docs are made in like Vietnam or thereabouts, whereas good ol Red Wings are still made in Wisconsin or Minnesota or some poo poo.

And they even come from the factory with sepia(-ish) laces

e:

Of course I only grew like another 2 inches afterward, lol

but still :hfive:

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Feb 9, 2021

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Re: Doc Marten chat. My co-worker buys limited edition Doc Martens (think weird colours or patterns and poo poo) and has quite the collection. She isn't married but has been with the same guy for 20 odd years so I guess Abby is partly wrong there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My first pair of docs were originally my mother's docs, I wore them when I was an edgy teen in the late 90s, so she would have worn them when she was an edgy teen in the early 70s. They were oxblood and they were awesome.

Heirloom edge ftw.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I've got short hair with dumb punk bangs and am wearing (oil/slip resistant) fake Docs right now, fight me fash :sparkles:

wait what do neon pink laces mean

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

Judging both by how they're portrayed in fiction and from how Americans talk about them, American schools seem absurdly violent to me. And that thing you hear about how male bullies use physical violence and female bullies use more verbal/social tactics? I guess everyone I went to school with must have been a girl, because I saw a lot of the latter type and none of the former.

I found the schools in Germany much more casually violent than American schools. Lots of kids beating each other up with fists and kicks, rarely bats and other blunt instruments. America is much more of a MADD situation where there is an every-looming threat of ultra-violence in the form of guns but the smaller forms of violence are much much less. I always thought a big part of it was affordability. Kids in Germany can afford to go to the doctor if some idiot breaks their ribs.

Economic opportunity also factors into it. There are a lot of parallels between the Neo-Nazi/Antifa/Turk relationships and American gangs. Because of the tiered schooling system in Germany, people knew what kind of economic future to expect and it wasn't horrific. On the lower ends of the socioeconomic scale that's a very different experience than in America where "get rich of die trying" is a real phenomenon because the economic prospects are so loving bleak. That shifts the violence from kids blowing off steam (in admittedly maladaptive ways) and into people literally fighting for their lives and all that entails.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ReidRansom posted:

And they even come from the factory with sepia(-ish) laces

Talsan laces. I really dig them. Neither of my Redwings came with them but I swapped them immediately. They do other colors of tan/gold isn't your thing.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

goblin week posted:

Sixty year old ex-punks shouldn’t be beating up teens for wearing cool laces, imo

Uhh making a tiktok saying "hey Nazi punks might beat you up at a show/think you're their buddy so maybe learn the symbolism" isn't beating up teens. Underestimating white supremacist groups' penchant for covertly spreading messages and indoctrination is not how you get rid of them, and is why dumb people think the Boogaloo boys are anti-rascist.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TheKennedys posted:

Very gay, very good.

Content:

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I'm confused, is the capitol coup good or bad? I can't keep it straight anymore

It was worse than 9/11
https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1359209776887037956

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My "I am not a cult member" t shirt getting a a lot of questions already answered by the shirt.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

It was, and I don't say this lightly, worse than a hundred September 11ths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

6/1 is literally 7.3 9/11ths.

Wait poo poo I got the stupid yank date backward aaa gently caress joke ruined.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

OwlFancier posted:

6/1 is literally 7.3 9/11ths.

Wait poo poo I got the stupid yank date backward aaa gently caress joke ruined.

Too late, this is QAnon numerology gospel now.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ReidRansom posted:

And now most Docs are made in like Vietnam or thereabouts, whereas good ol Red Wings are still made in Wisconsin or Minnesota or some poo poo.

Solovair used to make docs in the UK on subcontract, they don't anymore but make 'identifiable as but legally distinct from' boots out of the same old factory for the last 140 years

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Ah! The dude who kicked off the scolding of Phoebe Bridgers has more opinions.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Trevor Hale posted:

Ah! The dude who kicked off the scolding of Phoebe Bridgers has more opinions.

I'm seeing this guy more and more, and he's worse each time. #Resistance Twitter is really lost trying to find a new grift.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TheKennedys posted:

I've got short hair with dumb punk bangs and am wearing (oil/slip resistant) fake Docs right now, fight me fash :sparkles:

Dig your laces, I'm also into vaporwave!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I love BrooklynDad_Defiant! for using an underscore in his display name, a thing that has always been able to have spaces.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/thankyoujahseh/status/1359144309912604673?s=19

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Henchman of Santa posted:

I love BrooklynDad_Defiant! for using an underscore in his display name, a thing that has always been able to have spaces.

Is there a BrooklynDad Defiant! Or is it just boomers and their bullshit grammar as with using ... all the time

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1359302274577801217 (Not the idiot)

https://twitter.com/JustinCavey/status/1359312456603086850
https://twitter.com/JustinCavey/status/1359314431822413828

Did you have a stroke dude?? Lmao
"No it does matter because america ocean freedom mcdonalds aspartame open debates cardi b"

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Feb 10, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The girl got out to check and free speech open debates freedom

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Corporations on Social Media:

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1359324817216983042?s=20

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

maybe someone who ran two red lights in under fifteen minutes genuinely shouldn't be driving for a living, though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*flips ahead to the twist ending where the Lyft social media person finally expresses genuine sympathy, is fired, and is replaced with another Joo Dee*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure, but they also probably shouldn't be fired on the spot from what is probably already very precarious employment right now and left to starve, which is the point.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Sure, but they also probably shouldn't be fired on the spot from what is probably already very precarious employment right now and left to starve, which is the point.

Why not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno seems harsh for being bad at driving? Especially when their job presumably incentivizes them being bad at driving as long as nobody complains.

Like that's the thing, they wouldn't be getting fired for being a bad driver, they would be getting fired for making lyft look bad by getting found out which is exactly the same approach they take for all other aspects of having passable drivers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

driving through red lights endangers the lives of others and should not be tolerated from someone paid to drive

that is not “harsh” it is “basic common sense”

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

They could try to not run red lights when your entire job is driving. Or your entire life relies upon it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

once had a Lyft driver threaten to shoot someone who cut him off

he didn't pull out an actual gun so I still gave him 5/5