Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Just typical shellfish behaviour from the EU, trying to intimidate Britannia by flexing their mussels.

oarful post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Someone who understands the innate silliness of UK law please explain the Queen's Consent scandal to me. Because it sounds kinda like the UK is a constitutional monarchy except if Swiss bank accounts are involved.

mrmcd has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Feb 9, 2021

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/weetabix/status/1359074254789165059

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is bait, but I can respect it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i really wanna know what happens to this dude

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

It continues to blow my mind that the Brits have voluntarily reconstructed the continental system and then are also surprised to find out that it is really bad for them. Like I'm pretty sure the economic lesson of the Napoleonic wars was that Britain must trade freely with the continent to survive, and that blocking that trade off is basically such an existential threat to Britain that war would be a necessity to re-assert British influence and trade into Europe.

My crappy public school in Canada taught me this, did you guys never learn this stuff or something?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1359223320210792450

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lol no of course not we learned two world wars and one world cup and maybe a bit of the civil war

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

It continues to blow my mind that the Brits have voluntarily reconstructed the continental system and then are also surprised to find out that it is really bad for them. Like I'm pretty sure the economic lesson of the Napoleonic wars was that Britain must trade freely with the continent to survive, and that blocking that trade off is basically such an existential threat to Britain that war would be a necessity to re-assert British influence and trade into Europe.

My crappy public school in Canada taught me this, did you guys never learn this stuff or something?

Lucky for the EU, the Pentagon rated the British military as incompetent after the Iraq War

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay place your bets, how long until we have senior brexiteer Tories proposing a 'common sense' single market & customs union agreement which is ABSOLUTELY NOT a Norway deal?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

multijoe posted:

Okay place your bets, how long until we have senior brexiteer Tories proposing a 'common sense' single market & customs union agreement which is ABSOLUTELY NOT a Norway deal?

hasnt the EU said her mom that sweetheart deals like that are off the table?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

hasnt the EU said her mom that sweetheart deals like that are off the table?

I didn't say the EU had to accept it, just for Michael Gove or whoever to float that it would be a really good idea maybe and very capitalist and sensible

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Lucky for the EU, the Pentagon rated the British military as incompetent after the Iraq War

Did they really?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biplane posted:

Did they really?

Obama was a huge dick about it once he came into office. He was friends with Cameron but Barry fell in love with Jupiter later, and the Pentagon convinced him of the British "concerns" since he kept Gates as Sec. Def. for the first term he lobbied Macron hard to rejoin NATO when he came into office.

It was surprising since France ran out of munitions during Libya, and I don't think the British ever had supply problems.

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Feb 9, 2021

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Uh, excuse me I'll think you'll find that being embargoed from the whole of Europe just spurred the Great Men of Great British History to swashbuckle and disrupt their way to wealth through their innovative jams and world-renowned cheeses. We went and traded freely with the rest of the world (on entirely free terms and with no coersion whatsoever, which is why the British are so beloved all over globe to this present day). Napoleon did as a loving favour by showing that we don't need Europe for anything and can be entirely aloof from anything that those weird continental types do in their funny languages. We can just bask in our exceptionality for ever and nothing bad can happen :britain: :britain:

Can we have another crack at a trade deal so our ports aren't full of rotting fish, pretty please?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I don't care if it's a joke this is unbelievably cursed

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

oh for gently caress's sake

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They're right about hummus though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

multijoe posted:

an exit from brexit

brexitxit

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

spankmeister posted:

They're right about hummus though

Food is the great unifier in ethnically fractured regions. When language, religion, nationalist myth and all else tries to pretend nothing in common exists... the dinner table stands nearly alone in unity (along with maybe music).

But of course that falls apart as soon as anyone asks who invented a particular dish first, or uh what the name is...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

oh for gently caress's sake

haha oh why not at this point

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BalloonFish posted:

Uh, excuse me I'll think you'll find that being embargoed from the whole of Europe just spurred the Great Men of Great British History to swashbuckle and disrupt their way to wealth through their innovative jams and world-renowned cheeses. We went and traded freely with the rest of the world (on entirely free terms and with no coersion whatsoever, which is why the British are so beloved all over globe to this present day). Napoleon did as a loving favour by showing that we don't need Europe for anything and can be entirely aloof from anything that those weird continental types do in their funny languages. We can just bask in our exceptionality for ever and nothing bad can happen :britain: :britain:

Can we have another crack at a trade deal so our ports aren't full of rotting fish, pretty please?

Sadly we didn't elect the leading expert in disruptive jam tech to lead the country.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mrmcd posted:

Someone who understands the innate silliness of UK law please explain the Queen's Consent scandal to me. Because it sounds kinda like the UK is a constitutional monarchy except if Swiss bank accounts are involved.

Basically an unspoken law in Britain is that the royal family get to hang around on the taxpayers dime because they have no real power, you just need to get the queen's rubber stamp on things to become law (the "royal assent"). If the monarchy were to actually try anything like exerting power parliament would boot them out.

However it turns out that since the Queen gets all laws passed through her, she and the rest of the royal family can quietly ask for stuff to be changed if it would reveal things like how embarrassingly wealthy the royal family are through things like real estate. It's a big deal because, outside of the pure corruption, the royal family are supposed to be "outside" of politics. If it turns out that the royal family are in fact politically fair game, then people might start asking questions like "why do we pay them so much money" and "should we abolish them".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In the Netherlands we have a very similar situation where the King has a role in appointing a informator who will conduct coalition talks after an election but that is about the extent of his political power and after that the royal family is just like a really expensive diplomatic mission.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Basically an unspoken law in Britain is that the royal family get to hang around on the taxpayers dime because they have no real power, you just need to get the queen's rubber stamp on things to become law (the "royal assent"). If the monarchy were to actually try anything like exerting power parliament would boot them out.

However it turns out that since the Queen gets all laws passed through her, she and the rest of the royal family can quietly ask for stuff to be changed if it would reveal things like how embarrassingly wealthy the royal family are through things like real estate. It's a big deal because, outside of the pure corruption, the royal family are supposed to be "outside" of politics. If it turns out that the royal family are in fact politically fair game, then people might start asking questions like "why do we pay them so much money" and "should we abolish them".

previous monarchs have done this and this isn't even the first time for liz.

you don't have to go to the extent of withholding royal ascent, just do some back channel negotiation

I think the other time was with some gay marriage thing?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Virtual Russian posted:

wot the bloody hell are you on about?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
They named Napoleon, must be French history.

Britain left Europe though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i know that we sent johnny napoleon packing but thats as far as i care to pursue such things

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

MikeCrotch posted:

This is different from Royal Assent, which is a formality of the monarch accepting the law after it was passed. This was about the royal office lobbying for changes to bills before they had every been debated or read in Parliament under threat that they would prevent it from even proceeding if they didn't get their way.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Communist Thoughts posted:

wot the bloody hell are you on about?

He's saying Brexit is dumb because the UK is intrinsically connected economically to Europe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, was.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

more so than ever, you know what starts at Calais. . .

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Grape posted:

He's saying Brexit is dumb because the UK is intrinsically connected economically to Europe.

wissy annabout?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I hope Saudi Arabia replies to this threatening to 9/11 us

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Has brexit killed off the gammons yet, lads?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shocked to see this wasn't posted because it's the :discourse: :kiss: cherry on top of this lolsundae:

https://twitter.com/cirian75/status/1359084656122089476

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Biplane posted:

Did they really?

Obama was so horny for military intervention in Syria that after Cameron lost the parliament vote on it it permanently ruined his relationship with cameron

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wait, bonus, look at the date. Almost like Tories are living in the past...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

a system of global dominance set up to benefit them at the expense of the rest of the world being torn down by the children of its creators because they forgot it was there