Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my impression is it will be way closer than anyone expects. like 11 GOP ghouls vote to convict or some poo poo. depends on a bunch of poo poo and mostly on if trump fucks up enough.

Eleven is tantalizingly enough close to 16 where you'd better believe there would be INTENSE backroom lobbying to find the Senators to close the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Can we just have Romney death-staring all the Republicans in-between breaks to get them to see reason?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Supposedly there is evidence that directly links the WH to conversations with the Proud Boy and Oathkeeper leadership

There is no way those loving imbeciles covered their tracks if that's the case

Also, they should totally call Flynn and the Mypillow dude to testify :getin:

but thats the thing, the republican senators have taken the position that this doesnt matter because it's an unconstitutional impeachment. and voting no "because its illegitimate" is much easier for them then voting yes regardless of the facts

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

Medullah posted:

Anyone have a link to the video they played at the beginning of the trial?

Starts at 29:40: https://www.c-span.org/video/?508293-1/impeachment-trial&vod

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Eleven is tantalizingly enough close to 16 where you'd better believe there would be INTENSE backroom lobbying to find the Senators to close the gap.

again, i think it depends on trumps actions, the witnesses(i assume there will be some) and how much new stuff the house comes out with. while i think trump will get acquitted, who knows.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MSB3000 posted:

Realistically, what would it take for Trump, right now, to get the GOP to turn on him. I am genuinely drawing a blank.
Launching a third party with external funding, actual competent staff, and a commitment to run candidates in 2022 and to run for president himself in 24. It's part of why I think his people were so quick to disavow the Patriot Party filings. For now he's just threatening primaries, a third party means costing races, and that they will not abide.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

again, i think it depends on trumps actions, the witnesses(i assume there will be some) and how much new stuff the house comes out with. while i think trump will get acquitted, who knows.

Nobody knows his actions right now because all his social media has been taken away.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Nobody knows his actions right now because all his social media has been taken away.

And yet the entire GOP is still deathly afraid of him and utterly beholden to him, a guy they can't see or hear anymore. He literally has supplanted God to them...

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I finally got to watch the Democrats' video and drat...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet the entire GOP is still deathly afraid of him and utterly beholden to him, a guy they can't see or hear anymore. He literally has supplanted God to them...

So did Reagan. Until Trump. Republicans love to deify their leaders. They talk poo poo about Christianity and Jesus and whatnot but constantly roll with false prophets to get Evangelical-fanatic followers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gatts posted:

So did Reagan. Until Trump. Republicans love to deify their leaders. They talk poo poo about Christianity and Jesus and whatnot but constantly roll with false prophets to get Evangelical-fanatic followers.

you go deep enough. its always been weird longing for monarchism.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you go deep enough. its always been weird longing for fascism

European fascist movements often modeled after the US.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so can they force them or even trump to testfy?

They can subpoena whoever they want and call them as witnesses. The only limitation is that people have a right to not self-incriminate and Trump can just sit there taking the fifth all day.

Except that they've already announced that they're not calling any witnesses.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you go deep enough. its always been weird longing for monarchism.

Yeah. They want a Big Daddy Strong Man.

We talk about how Reagan broke the Dems spirit but I think that very long stretch of Dem rule in the 1900s probably broke the Republicans until Newt and Reagan turned it around for them and they went headlong into fanaticism and have been radicalizing their base ever since. Theodore Roosevelt is an opposite of what Reagan's Republicans were.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

They can subpoena whoever they want and call them as witnesses. The only limitation is that people have a right to not self-incriminate and Trump can just sit there taking the fifth all day.

who trump or the House?

Gatts posted:

Yeah. They want a Big Daddy Strong Man.

We talk about how Reagan broke the Dems spirit but I think that very long stretch of Dem rule in the 1900s probably broke the Republicans until Newt and Reagan turned it around for them and they went headlong into fanaticism and have been radicalizing their base ever since. Theodore Roosevelt is an opposite of what Reagan's Republicans were.

nixon turned it around for them or was the beginning. there used to be liberal/decent republicans but they were purged after ford pretty hard. than reagan brought the evangelicals and the super racists(nixon got them on board but not fully) and here and newt killed the norms.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
If Trump testifies they probably still acquit but he will definitely tell a lot of lies under oath

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

Comedy option is that Trump gets so mad at his attorneys that he demands to take the stand.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rabble posted:

Comedy option is that Trump gets so mad at his attorneys that he demands to take the stand.

i see that or him firing one of them as actual posibility.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who trump or the House?

That's actually a good question. The power is inherent to congress, so the house managers can subpoena people, though I'm not sure if congress can just ignore the impeached official's request for a witness and they might be able to just ignore the prosecution sending out subpoenas ("Congratulations, you can make someone show up. We don't have to let them testify."). I'm inclined to say that they could block witnesses since there are no actual rules for what an impeachment trial consists of (and why the first thing they do is lay out what the plan for that trial will be), but that's a grey area that nobody's every tried before.

The whole question is moot since no witnesses are going to be called, though.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

You know you've really made a meandering argument when the orange champion of the sport accuses you of going over the line.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Otteration posted:

You know you've made a meandering argument when the orange champion of the sport accuses you of going over the line.

I mean, he calls people who are in better shape than him fat all the time.

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
Look honey, this is how the strongest Republic justifies exporting democracy to banana producing microstates and imposing fascism on south and central America

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i see that or him firing one of them as actual posibility.

How about he fires them both and then has Jr, Ivanka and Kusher defend him to his script?

That would really be the best outcome and let us know that 2020 is finally over.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Otteration posted:

You know you've really made a meandering argument when the orange champion of the sport accuses you of going over the line.

he is pissed because castor admitted that trump was "kinda" guilty and is doing the "well its too late to do anything" defense, instead of screaming "heil trump" with tears in his eyes before unloading a gun into his brain with his last words being "for him"

Random Stranger posted:

That's actually a good question. The power is inherent to congress, so the house managers can subpoena people, though I'm not sure if congress can just ignore the impeached official's request for a witness and they might be able to just ignore the prosecution sending out subpoenas ("Congratulations, you can make someone show up. We don't have to let them testify."). I'm inclined to say that they could block witnesses since there are no actual rules for what an impeachment trial consists of (and why the first thing they do is lay out what the plan for that trial will be), but that's a grey area that nobody's every tried before.

The whole question is moot since no witnesses are going to be called, though.

i think there might be witnesses.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Genuine question: If the votes aren't there to convict him, then what is the point of this exercise? Is it to try to convince the public that Trump was culpable in inciting the riots, and to show how corrupt the GOP is to give them fodder for the midterms?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

McCloud posted:

Genuine question: If the votes aren't there to convict him, then what is the point of this exercise? Is it to try to convince the public that Trump was culpable in inciting the riots, and to show how corrupt the GOP is to give them fodder for the midterms?

mix of both. the morality of it is basicaly you can't just let him walk when you do poo poo like that and so doing it is a moral good. the issue is the obvious, the GOP won't do the right thing probably so it sucks. thing is he will probably end up getting pinched with in the year with the SDNY case which will basically be a giant circus of horrors but will probably land with some criminal charges or some poo poo though probably not jail.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Random Stranger posted:

Trump calling the fifth all day could easily be sold as an obvious admission that crimes have been committed. That seems like a clear win for Dems... especially since you know he'd probably be incapable of it and he'd start ranting and going off script almost immediately.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The ironic thing is that one of the arguments against impeachment is that no criminal charges are alleged.

Yet, it’s highly likely that within six months Trump will be indicted in multiple states and possibly federally.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

they have done no such thing, there are news stories from as recently as this morning about how it's still undecided whether they will or not

no determination will be officially made until both sides have had their two days worth of time opening and the senators have their four hour period to ask questions

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
A little late to reply due to work, but thank you for everyone who tried to clarify Schoen's head covering movement. I would say I'm gonna walk back what I said but apparently I can't now according to rambling lawyer dude, who I am sure was in Earthbound.

Regardless, I politely rescind my uninformed comment.

But the rest of the defense team's arguments turned out okay, right? Because he hires the best people. Right?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who trump or the House?

nixon turned it around for them or was the beginning. there used to be liberal/decent republicans but they were purged after ford pretty hard. than reagan brought the evangelicals and the super racists(nixon got them on board but not fully) and here and newt killed the norms.

George Bush Sr was the beginning when he joined the CIA and helped get JFK whacked, followed by Robert to clear the way for Nixon.

Allegedly.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That video from the house managers was chilling. Just when you think you've seen everything, there is always more.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Your country is really loving stupid.

It's beginning to piss me off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jet sanchEz posted:

Your country is really loving stupid.

It's beginning to piss me off.

Any other western hegemon following World War II would have turned out the same.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ApeHawk posted:

Can we just have Romney death-staring all the Republicans in-between breaks to get them to see reason?
Would he scare them more than the voter base that wants to rip their heads off if they so much as go off script?
Rather, why don't these terrified bureaucrats resign, retire, and expat to a tropical tax haven?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Would he scare them more than the voter base that wants to rip their heads off if they so much as go off script?
Rather, why don't these terrified bureaucrats resign, retire, and expat to a tropical tax haven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-tXkjwnCk

because this.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

but thats the thing, the republican senators have taken the position that this doesnt matter because it's an unconstitutional impeachment. and voting no "because its illegitimate" is much easier for them then voting yes regardless of the facts

Yeah the entire point of the "it's illegitimate" argument is to allow them to vote not guilty without proclaiming his innocence. There won't be a single vote to convict from that group of Senators.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The worst possible outcome is Trump gets convicted in the impeachment, convicted in all the state and federal indictments, and then before he sees a single day in prison Biden pardons him, so that's what's going to happen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

human garbage bag posted:

The worst possible outcome is Trump gets convicted in the impeachment, convicted in all the state and federal indictments, and then before he sees a single day in prison Biden pardons him, so that's what's going to happen.
Biden hates his loving guys so I don't think that'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

human garbage bag posted:

Trump went after Biden's son, there's no way Biden gets in the way of process to help Trump in any way.